Start by marking “Planet of the Umps: A Baseball Life from Behind the Plate” as Want to Read:
Planet of the Umps: A Baseball Life from Behind the Plate
Preview

Planet of the Umps: A Baseball Life from Behind the Plate

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  7 reviews
“Two things nobody wants to grow up to be are an umpire and broke. Thanks to my career in baseball, I got both.”

After calling balls, strikes, and outs for thirty-six baseball seasons and more than three thousand major-league games, umpire Ken Kaiser finally called it a career. From the first day he hit a minor-league catcher with a pool table to the fateful day baseball c
Published April 19th 2003 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Planet of the Umps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet of the Umps

David
This is fun for it's behind-the-scenes take on the game from the minor leagues to the Big Time. The problem, of course, is it's a bit out date. Still, Kaiser is a character; and his writing seems to mirror his abrasive personality (in a fun way). I lost count how many guys he throws out of the game - including spectators! - without the slightest of care.

One thing my dad and I always hypothesized about the game turned out to be true. After bad calls, managers would run out on the field to "argue"
James
A really funny book! If you enjoy Baseball, then read this book, as it gives a different perspective on things! Well written!
Cory Wentzel
I read this book a few years ago and I enjoyed it a lot. It talks about the how much power the umpires have and what it was like for Ken Kaiser coming up from the minor leagues of baseball.
Joe Kapraszewski
Ken kept it real discussing being an ump and being one of the "other guys" on the field that we either love or hate depending on if the call went the right way. All fans should read this book simply to understand what goes on in the mind of an umpire and to see how difficult it really is.
Dale Stonehouse
It was OK only because I love to read about umpiring. Kaiser couldn't make a call right-handed so the umpiring rules had to be ignored for him. The book is better than his umpiring only because it couldn't be any worse.
Kathy
Once I started thinking of this book as a transcription of a guy in a bar BSing about his life, I really enjoyed it. Don't look for facts or deep insight, just enjoy the tall tales Ken tells.
Michael Webb
Terrible. Very whiny. Some good stories, though.
Rebecca Gierman
Rebecca Gierman marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Robert Fox
Robert Fox marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Scott Williams
Scott Williams marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Mark Gottlieb
Mark Gottlieb marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013