Start by marking “The Books of Faerie” as Want to Read:
The Books of Faerie

The Books of Faerie (The Books of Faerie #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,460 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Do you believe...

... in a mystical land beyond the boundaries of the mundane world...

... ruled by a beautiful queen who was once a mortal like you and me...

... who may have sired the most powerful sorcerer of our world?

In the finest high fantasy tradition, this companion volume to Vertigo's ongoing Books of Magic series collects for the first time the acclaimed Books of Fa
Published June 1st 1998 by DC Comics Vertigo (first published March 1st 1997)

PurplyCookie
I've always had a special tendre for fairy tales for as long as I can remember (having read Grimm, Andersen, etc.) which explains why I would read anything linked to it. Double whammy on this one since it's not only about the fantastical world that is of Fay but one that's linked to Queen Titania as created by Gaiman & Vess (see "Sandman Library").

Carlton gives us the origin story of Queen Titania of Faerie (was I ever surprised to learn that King Auberon isn't her first husband) and that Ti
Lia
Aug 01, 2007 Lia rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, to-buy
Fun, but flawed. My kind of subject matter, but kind of lacklustre.

Like, why did the Faeries celebrate weddings and funerals in a chapel-like setting? Why did they even live in a human-looking stone castle? Why the gender stereotypes of the warring males and the stay-at-home females gathering flowers for the morning room? This is FAERIE! It should be more wild and less human.

Where's the magic? The faeries could have been humans only with green skin and pointy ears. What was magic other than what
Lynna
Aug 21, 2010 Lynna rated it really liked it
I picked this up without knowing that it was a spin-off miniseries of another series called the Books of Magic. I enjoyed the first part of the book which dealt with Titania's back-story but I couldn't build up any interest in the last story focusing on the main characters of the Books of Magic series. I love the character designs and the art in general of the faerie portion, and the story's cast of characters are interesting. I'm especially impressed with the writing of Titania's character sinc ...more
Jodie
Jan 15, 2014 Jodie rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, own
The first half of the book is great.
As a fan of the Books of Magic I'd give it a higher rating, but as a stand alone book it suffers.
The inclusion of Arcana: the Books of Magic Annual as the second half seems a poor choice as it's barely about Faerie. The story isn't terrible, but it's more of an intro to the Children's Crusade, which leaves the reader hanging, and takes place before the first half of the book chronologically
KV Taylor
I reviewed this tpb collection for Fae Awareness Month riiiiiight here, along with Auberon's Tale.

I'd give Titania's actual story a 4, and the rest of them a 3 for being generally cool to read, but not as pretty and less interesting in terms of a tpb. A cool introduction to the ongoing series, though. Overall that makes this more of a 3.5.
Cathy
I just really don't like this series. This had potential at the beginning, I liked Tatiana's back story, but once it got back into Tim's story it was awful. So far I've read three authors trying to tell his story and none of them have intrigued me or entertained me at all, I just don't have any desire to read any farther.
Jacquel
Mar 15, 2011 Jacquel rated it it was amazing
As a reader of all things fantasy and science fiction, I was totally unprepared to read this book, since I had never read a graphic novel before I picked the book. But as I read the book, I found myself enjoying the story of Queen Titania and her world. The story lived up to its hype and I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes graphic novels, fantasy and science fiction.
Izlinda
This book focuses primarily on Queen Titania, and also Timothy Hunter of the Books of Magic. I only the first Books of Magic book, by Neil Gaiman, so I was unsure about the Falconer and what ties he had. However, this includes a nice background story about Queen Titania, and leaves one to wonder about a prophecy.
Virdilak
Nov 08, 2007 Virdilak rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The story of Titania. Ties into The Books of Magic and Sandman. Pretty good, it's interesting to see the transformation from a young, innocent girl to the childish and cruel second most powerful being in Faerie. Art is mostly good as well.
Krista
Oct 29, 2011 Krista rated it it was ok
The first and second sections of this graphic novel differ greatly. I loved the first section. It was like dipping a toe into fairy lore. The second section seemed haphazardly plotted and it was at times hard to follow. I ended up reading it twice, but still much preferring the first section.
Michelle
May 06, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful comic writing and art, all around a lovely series. search ISBN 978-1852869168 for the whole series (4 comics together) to find the series.
Mindy
Jul 06, 2008 Mindy rated it really liked it
I love all things fae so when Walter brought home these comics I of course went to reading them. I enjoyed the perspective of the story. Loved the art work.
Tina
Aug 12, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it
I am not at all surprised that I liked this comic considering that the writer had worked with Neil Gaiman on this.
Gacktdear
Gacktdear rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Deeb O'doyle
Deeb O'doyle rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Kaniballos
Kaniballos rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2011
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Toucansamantha
Toucansamantha rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Anggitaputri
Anggitaputri rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Erin Freed
Erin Freed rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2013
J.
J. rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2014
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2011
Kai Bjørnenak
Kai Bjørnenak rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Taufeq Rahim
Taufeq Rahim rated it liked it
May 07, 2015
William Murakami-brundage
William Murakami-brundage rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Siri
Siri rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Jamison Stone
Jamison Stone rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Liam
Liam rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
  • Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold
  • The Dead Boy Detectives
  • The Quotable Sandman
  • The Sandman Companion
Bronwyn Carlton is an American comic book author, editor and radio DJ. She has written many DC Comics titles including Catwoman, The Books of Faerie as well as the Paradox Press imprint title, The Big Book of Death.

She has worked as an editor for both DC and Marvel. At DC she worked on both the Paradox Press and Piranha Press imprints; at Marvel she worked on the Marvel Knights line.
More about Bronwyn Carlton...

The Books of Faerie (2 books)
  • The Books of Faerie: Auberon's Tale