Start by marking “Vyakti Ani Valli” as Want to Read:
Vyakti Ani Valli

Vyakti Ani Valli

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  1,108 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Vyakti Aani Vyalli is a collection of character sketches by Purushottam Laxman Deshpande, the popular Marathi writer. Drawing from real-life characters and incidents, these sketches are as varied as people can be and quite interesting.

The stories in Vyakti Aani Vyalli were written over a period of more than 20 years, from 1944 to 1968. Of the 20 stories in the book, the on
Paperback, 34 th Edition, 202 pages
Published 1966 by Mauj Prakashan Gruh

To ask other readers questions about Vyakti Ani Valli, please sign up.

Sharat I would prefer to purchase the book instead of sitting in front of Computer/Laptop Screen. Safer option for our eyes.…moreI would prefer to purchase the book instead of sitting in front of Computer/Laptop Screen. Safer option for our eyes.☺(less)
Mrityunjaya by Shivaji SawantShriman Yogi by Ranjit Desai (रणजित देसाई)Chhava by Shivaji SawantSwami by Ranjit Desai (रणजित देसाई)Shyamchi Aai by Sane Gurujee
Evergreen Books In Marathi
7th out of 63 books — 149 voters
Shyamchi Aai by Sane GurujeeYayati by Vishnu Sakharam KhandekarPartner by V.P. KaleEk hota Carver by Veena GavankarMrityunjaya by Shivaji Sawant
Marathi Books For Collection
6th out of 31 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Apoorv Moghe
Riveting, to say the least ! This man, P.L. Deshpande, just exemplifies how a book is to be written.

The way he sketches each and every character is magical and live-infusing to the words he wrote. His impeccable way of adding the hues to the persona of the character by sketching the intricate personality details is awe-inspiring yet never for once does the book or the story turns dull and monotonous.

Each character, each story, each words lives up to its meaning and adds meaning to our lives.. al
Ranjeet
Vyakti ani valli is my first pu la deshpande written book. Though i have been hearing his name since my childhood days and his charisma as written seems to have captivated many minds it was this inquisition,About a marathi author so famous that led me to venturing into actually reading one. First and foremost, Bravo!!! Pu la has a writing style like no other he really takes you on a joyride that not even for one second or one word do you feel disconnected from the book and his world, the charact ...more
Jyotsna
Superb collection of character sketches. Each character is so unique and described in a very interesting way. Some characters make u laugh, some surprise you, some put smile on your face and some wet the corners of your eyes. Antu Barva, Nanda Pradhan, Sakharam Gatne, Chitale master, Pestonkaka, Narayan are some of the best ones.
Kedarnaik

Could any book which is claims to be based upon observation of normal human beings be any better....!!!!!!!
I'm proud of my mother tongue because we have such great books written in Marathi ...!!!!
Ajinkya Kelkar
Characters in the book literally stand in front of you and start talking. Suddenly one starts identifying them in people that you know!
Mayur Mundale
What to say about this masterpiece. Pu.La. is one few or only who knew what Human is. In 'Apurwai' he said the thing I love most is Humans, And here we know why. All characters in book are fictional but they feel so real. Author is great observer of human beings and from there comes this 20 'vyakti and valli', Mostly in his sarcastic comical style but some are heart-touching as well. And all characters are written by view of a common man that makes us connected with book greatly.
A great exper
Gaurav Phapale
I dont think I need to repeat the awesomeness of this book. Every Marathi reader starts his reading with PuLa's books and this makes it to the list for sure!
Saral
Perfectly captured idiosyncrasies and personality quirks. Such precise observation, such wit, such quaint humor!
Yuvraj Jagtap
Superb Collection of some of the best short storied of PL Deshpande. Loved Every One Of It.
Mahesh Mane
Best ever book by P L Deshpande. Amazing way to explain different characters.
Ritesh Pase
One of the best books that i have ever read. The character sketches that PL has created here render themselves to an outstanding level of recognition form the daily life and yet are able to distinguish themselves as extraordinary. The different stories in the book are entertaining and meaningful without preaching.
The 'musings of a common man' style of narration captivates the reader and makes it a story that you feel very much a part of as the reader. And in spite of all these characteristics, t
Aniket Mahajani
always favourite of mine....all time hit..:)
Aparna
Mar 04, 2015 Aparna marked it as to-read
Shelves: 1
Shantanu
Kulesh
I want to read
Kiran
Sep 21, 2014 Kiran marked it as to-read
good
Mugdhapatil
its nice
Sachin Nagdev
Outstanding!!! 20 character sketches- set around 50 years back- but the traits are visible in people even today- The descriptions are so lively- some make u laugh, some make you ponder, some put a smile on your face, some bring tears to your eyes. MUST READ
Krupali Patil
capable of being reader's favorite Marathi book~

The narration is touching. Every character in this book stays in your memory!Especially when you have heard "Nivadak Pu." Audio books from the same writer, you could hear his voice telling you the stories and then giggling over it! It's sweet! :)

It is epic and lovely!!
Sanket
very nice book....very good description about various characters....while reading book you feel that you read about the person you already have in your life.......!!!!!! its very nice book by P.L.Deshpande..!!! must read......!!!!!!
Minal
You will not find a better book than this. Pu La brings to life every single character in the book - when you finish it you realize you may have met every single character in the book at some point in your life.
Anuj Vaidya
one of the best books by pu la
the new play based on this book ( cast : Mahesh Manjrekar, Sunil Barve, Anand Ingle and Vaibhav Mangle) is too good
all those who liked this book must watch it
Saili Sabkal
Really worth reading to understand different personalities. Its simply shocking to know that we are surrounded by these personalities but we hardly realise !!!
VINOD NIKAM
My favorite Marathi Writer....Nice book...Especially the "Antu Barva" n "Nanda" topics really touched my heart.
Aishwarya Pardeshi
May 08, 2013 Aishwarya Pardeshi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves fiction in marathi.... :)
Recommended to Aishwarya by: No one... Coz m already crazy about the writer...
I just love this book.... I always carry it along with me... RIP P.L.Deshpande... god bless... :)
Harshad Lamrood
Its always fun reading PL's stuff , you lough your lungs out ..mark my words :D
Kushal
very good book
very minute observation of pu. la. makes this book nastalgic
Rahul
if i remeber correctly this was the first book i read in one go.....
  • Swami
  • Bangarwadi (बानगरवाडी)
  • Ek hota Carver (एक होता कार्व्हर)
  • Shyamchi Aai
  • Zombi
  • Yayati: A Classic Tale of Lust
  • Aahe manohar tari
  • Majhi Janmathep
One of the legends in marathi literature. Probably the most read, most quoted and most loved author of maharashtra

The writings though mostly known for its sublime comic nature,include a vast range of plays,caricatures,essays, travelogues and much more

Lovingly called 'Pula' by all the fans.
More about P.L. Deshpande...
Asa Mi Asami Batatyachi Chaal Apurvaee Purvrang Hasawanuk