Start by marking “Червени морета под червени небета (Джентълмените копелета, #2)” as Want to Read:
Червени морета под червени небета (Джентълмените копелета, #2)

Червени морета под червени небета (Gentleman Bastard #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  42,309 ratings  ·  2,192 reviews
Крадец и изключителен мошеник, Локи Ламора и верният му до гроб Джийн Танен напускат родния град. Те обаче, не могат вечно да бягат и когато спират, решават да поемат към най-богатата и непревзимаема мишена на хоризонта - града-държава Тал Верар. И към Кулата на греха. Кулата на греха е най-изтънченият, най-прочутият и най-силно охраняваният дом за хазарт на света.

Уставът
Published 2008 by Рива (first published June 20th 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about Червени морета под червени небета

Patrick
I'll be honest, when I first read this book, years ago, my reaction was kinda "meh."

Or rather, I *remember* it being that way. It was a long time back, and I can barely bring to mind what I ate for lunch yesterday. So I'm not terribly reliable that way.

I also vaguely remember that it wasn't as talked-up as Lies of Locke Lamora. There wasn't the same excited buzz about it when it came out, so I remember feeling reasonably justified in my "meh" feeling.

That means reading through it again a seco
Ridley
Dec 03, 2013 Ridley marked it as to-buy-big-publisher  ·  review of another edition
After reading a Tumblr post Where Lynch responded to a reader's complaints about "political correctness" in this novel, I am intrigued.
Why shouldn’t middle-aged mothers get a wish-fulfillment character, you sad little bigot? Everyone else does. H.L. Mencken once wrote that “Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” I can’t think of anyone to whom that applies more than my own mom, and the mothers on my friends list, with th
Kelly

Although I was prepared to bite my thumb at anyone who had a problem with this book up to about 200 pages in, over the course of the 500 pages after that, I began to slowly, reluctantly and finally in complete exasperation, change my mind.

Scott Lynch begins his novel at the same level of quality as his fabulous first novel, The Lies of Locke Lamora. His characters are dealing with the events of the previous novel, in a mostly believable fashion, in a believable time period- its kept from becomin
Will M.
I'm probably going to receive a lot of hate for this rating, but I'm just being honest here. I'm bold enough to give this a 3, because that's the highest it can go. The novel is not bad, but it's also not phenomenal.

Am I the only one reminded of Pirates of the Caribbean while reading this? Pirates aside, it had the same vibe to it. I really liked Pirates, but just like Red Seas, both had a lot of dull moments.

Red Seas would've received at least a 4 from me, if it was consistent with its amazing
Josh
This is a surprisingly worthy followup, albeit a tad frustrating, at least at first. After reading all of the negative or mediaocre reviews, I was expecting to find a lesser book than Lies. I didn't find that at all. The quality of writing, the sympathetic characters, the sharp and funny dialogue, the action: it's all here. I think the reason people are turned off by it is because it's a very different book than the first one.

Red Seas wastes no time as it starts off. We begin with Locke and Jea
Rabindranauth
Fantasy in naval settings has never quite worked for me, and it seems even Scott Lynch isn’t an exception to that particular distaste of mine. A fun read, but one that doesn’t quite work for me.

Two years after events in Camorr force Locke and Jean to flee the city, they’ve settled nicely in Tal Verrar, Rose of the Gods, and are on the brink on pulling off one of their most daring heists ever. Until, that is, the Bondsmagi of Karthain intervene, delivering them into the hands of the Archon. Which
Hanne
I realize I’m being wayward again: most people seemed to be über-enthusiast about book one, and they tend to like book two a bit less. Not me: I really enjoyed book two, much more than the first.

The main driver behind this difference, is that everything I didn’t like about book one is gone here: there’s no smooth sailing, there aren’t a bizillion tricks hiding in Locke’s sleeve, and the whole “Look how clever I am”-feel of the book is gone. This cat might still have seven lives; he isn’t always
Ben Babcock
(Since this book features pirates, I'm using that as flimsy excuse to present my review entirely in "piratical" dialect, courtesy of this handy translator. Apologies to those who were expecting a sobre critique of literature in grammatical, precise English. Ye scallywag.)

I read this hot on th' heels o' me second readin' o' Th' Lies o' Locke Lamora, about which I positively gushed in ever' way possible.

Goin' into this sequel, I be excited. I anticipated another brilliant adventure o' Locke Lamora
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
2.5

I read this for a group I'm in, and I wrote a big long post about it, so now I'm sort of talked out. Maybe I'll do a proper review in the future. For now...

There's a lot of set-up and info-dumping. The pacing is terrible - for hundreds of pages things are drawn out in labored detail, and then the ending is all rush, rush, and things that could've and should've been drawn out more weren't. Some things were wrapped up nicely, some were sort of a kick in the teeth.

I never really felt overly inve
Eh?Eh!
Still fun, but these poor thieves can't catch a break and keep getting screwed. I've read that the author is suffering from some debilitating depression such that the 3rd book is now 2 years late and counting. It reminds me a little of Barbara Hambly, who had a fantasy series that took a huge nosedive into the horrific when life started giving her a beating. I wonder if Scott Lynch's distress began coming out in his characters with this book?

This one starts out more like Ocean's Eleven with a ca
Mpauli

Arrrr, matey! Surrender all ye plunder fer them pirates!

What did you say? The beard looks fake? Proposterous! I'll stick ye filthy landrubber with me poking sabre!
No, it's not a foam sword! Yeah, okay if you grab it like that and hey...that's my hook. And my elaborate way of speaking? Yeah, damn, should be "Drink like a pirate day". I would be way better at it.
Oh no, you think I'm the guy who tricked you into liking my...eh...his review of the Lies of Locke Lamorra. No, of course not. This guy d
Sanaa
This was so fantastic. Locke and Jean are two of my all time favorite characters, and I can't wait to see what they are up to next!
Rob
Executive Summary: This book is uneven, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as The Lies of Locke Lamora, but the second half more than makes up for the first to make this an enjoyable read.

Full Review
This book is very uneven. The beginning was painfully slow. It seemed like little happened and Mr. Lynch was determined to describe everything in minute details.

A lot of what did happen seemed like a rehash of the first book in a new city and not nearly as fun.

Locke and Jean are dealing with the a
David Sven
Absolutely loved it! Michael Page was again just awesome as the audio narrator with his range of accents and rich vocal tones.

I think what a lot of people may appreciate about these first two books, seeing that they are the only two to date finished in a seven book series, is that this book and the last are self contained stand alone stories. Even though this book is a continuation of the last and the events of book one do come back to haunt our two Gentleman Bastards, this is a completely new s
Chris
Well, seldom has a book made me waver so much on how I felt about it. High hopes and an exquisite prologue had me psyched for a hell of a good time. I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora, and at first taste, the sequel seemed that it would be just as much a favorite.

But then it bogged down. No big deal. Some books do that, especially when they have so many layers of plot and counter-plot twists. There did seem to be a large number of info-dump sections, that got tedious. But I trusted these to work t
Carol.
Aug 13, 2011 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of rogues
Four stars, with reservations

A bit of a slog in the beginning--guess I haven't been in the mood for the great con. Locke Lamora is still at the heart of the narrative, and I don't think he could get from bed to breakfast without hatching or implementing a Rube Goldberg of a plot. It remains a sort of "Oceans Eleven" caper at the beginning, with multiple steps and a long, convoluted plan of attack on the owner of an elaborate and elite gambling facility. However, in true Oceans fashion, even as t
J.P.
Keep an eye on your valuables for here is the return of liar, thief and bullshit artist extraordinaire Locke Lamora. I have to say I really enjoyed this, but a bit less than the first book. Partially due I'm sure to the bar being set so high to begin with. In The Lies of Locke Lamora, Locke gets himself into and out of a series of jams. In this book he works on one main scheme for the most part, so there's a shade less action as there are fewer dilemmas to get out of. Also at least in the beginn ...more
Manju
So Locke and Jean are in a new city with a new plan to rob a powerful man but this time the things were not as easier as in the first book was. They became pawns in another man’s game and had no choice but to follow his orders. Soon they found themselves on sea to make their master’s (for the time being) plan a success.

There was not much of the world building in this book as half of the time Locke and Jean were on the ship learning the ways about how to survive there. though the life on sea and
Penny
Wonderful characters with brilliant wit (and a good dose of crazy) scheme to rob the unrobbable and generally outsmart everyone everywhere. I laughed, I cried and I prayed to the Crooked Warden to protect my beloved Gentlemen Bastards.

The last few pages left me a tad dissatisfied but overall I loved it! The various cities were a bit over-described (as in the first instalment) and some parts took a bit longer than necessary, but these are both minor complaints that didn't even dent the bubble of
Stephen
6.0 stars. On my list of "All Time Favorite" Novels. This has quickly become one of the best fantasy series I have ever read (certainly in the top 5). The title characters are superbly drawn, the world-building is second to none and the plot is tightly drawn (even at 750+ pages). Can not wait for the next in the series. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION.

Nominee: John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2008)
SFSite Readers Poll Top 10 (2008)
Ana
did I miss something between the first and the second book? was there another installment? how did this get so much better on such short notice?!

scratch out what I said in my review for the first installment, that it resembles Kvothe of "The Name of The Wind". That doesn't apply here! Locke develops into a completely different character and takes on the world with so versatile means that you begin questioning Lynch's plannification for the series! it really gets so, so much better and by now, y
Srividya
This book was definitely not as good as the first one, in fact, it did drag a lot in the middle. Also it reminded me of that awful movie Waterworld, which I think definitely goes against it! However, despite all that I will still maintain that it is a five star book! Why? Well read on to find out!

Locke and Jean set out in this book to handle a huge con, one that would set them up for life. While doing so, they find themselves locked in the proverbial situation between the frying pan and the fire
Nikki
I liked this a little less than the first book. That wasn't the fault of the book itself, I think: mostly it was the fact that the first book took such a toll on the characters. It was horrible and difficult to read about Locke's self-destruction in the flashback chapters. And, damn it, they deserved to be happy after all the crap that went on in the first book. I suppose it doesn't count as a spoiler that, no, they don't get to be happy.

Locke is still clever and brilliant and yet flawed, the ki
Igor Ljubuncic
I am not really sure about the rating. Plot wise, it deserves 2.5, but it's not like I suffered reading the book. And then, over the years, I guess I'm getting stricter, and some of the old three star ratings would probably end up as one or two nowadays.

The big problems with Red Seas is that the plot starts as something, and it ends as something else entirely. The whole scheming thing, which is the essence of what Locke and Jean have been doing, is not there. You get a taste of this, Ocean's 11
Eric
This is an enjoyable follow-up to The Lies of Locke Lamora. It is a little worrisome in its similarity though.

The last one was a fun caper involving high-stakes thieving scams intertwined with personal vendettas and manipulating kingpins. This one is essentially the same thing in a new city with different names. It's still enjoyable, but if the next one in the series does the same thing, it'll be quitting time. Luckily, the publisher says that's not the case. The first two were self-contained e
D.G.
**4.5 stars**

If I learned something by reading this book was to never, EVER, cross a Camorri.

Crooked Warden! But there was some action in this book: pirate raids, fights at sea, prison breaks, a mutiny, vengeance, rappelling down cliffs and buildings, fights to the death, cheating at cards, double crossings, deceptions, schemes and everything you would expect out of the Gentlemen Bastards, all spiced with a healthy dose of humor, staggering violence and lots of style. Plus we got to see the dept
Joe Moley
Sadly enough, this is a piss poor follow up to a fantastic first novel.

The author suffered major A.D.D. with his storyline and flops around several times between plots that lead nowhere. It's almost as if he had two completely different ideas for novels but couldn't quite fill in the gaps to make them stand on their own. Instead, he decided to combine them in to one long book but does a poor job connecting the two.

I found myself slogging through it just to get to the end. Unfortunately, it was
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Fun read. If The Lies of Locke Lamora was like Oceans 11 meets Oliver Twist, then Red Seas Under Red Skies is like Oceans 11 meets The Pirates of the Caribbean.

This second book was a bit less serious than the first one, though still quite dark in its silliness. Perhaps it is because of all that goes on in it, as I have to say RSURS is also a lot more convoluted, with more plot twists, double crosses, triple crosses, and more aliases than you can keep track of.

I admit at some points this book al
Denae
First of all, I have never enjoyed an audio book as much as this one. At least half a star is for that alone. The story was quite the exciting romp through the world of the Gentleman Bastards. I don't know how to say much without spoiling the book for people, but suffice it to say that if you enjoyed The Lies of Locke Lamora you will most likely enjoy Red Seas Under Red Skies. Jean & Locke are definitely up to no good and it doesn't always work out for them. Still, to paraphrase one of Jean' ...more
Kim
Well... There's one thing I hope Scott Lynch learns before book 3 comes out. And that is how to write a proper ending. Just as in book 1 Locke and Jean are working a big con and find themselves well over their heads. Everyone and their dog trying to make them do their will and the pair of Bastards spinning their own web throughout it all. It was fun and exciting though a tad bleak at times. The reason again that I only give 4 stars is that it all wraps up so quick. Chapters and chapters of setti ...more
  • Best Served Cold
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
  • The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2)
  • Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1)
  • The Thousandfold Thought (The Prince of Nothing, #3)
  • Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
  • Among Thieves (Tales of the Kin, #1)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this s
More about Scott Lynch...
The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3) The Bastards and the Knives (Gentleman Bastard, #0) The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastards, #4) The Gentleman Bastard Books One and Two (The Gentleman Bastard Sequence, #1-2)

“That's a sweet piece," said Jean, briefly forgetting to be aggravated. "You didn't snatch that off a street."

"No," said Locke, before taking another deep draught of the warm water in the decanter. "I got it from the neck of the governor's mistress."

"You can't be serious."

"In the governor's manor."

"Of all the -"

"In the governor's bed."

"Damned lunatic!"

"With the governor sleeping next to her."

The night quiet was broken by the high, distant trill of a whistle, the traditional swarming noise of city watches everywhere. Several other whistles joined in a few moments later.

"It is possible," said Locke with a sheepish grin, "that I have been slightly too bold.”
139 likes
“Difficult" and "impossible" are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common." (Locke Lamora to Requin)” 119 likes