Start by marking “Princess Ashley” as Want to Read:
Princess Ashley

Princess Ashley

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A newcomer at Crestwood High, Chelsea is perfectly willing to view sophomore year from the sidelines. But she is stunned when out of the blue, beautiful, powerful Ashley Packard handpicks her as a member of the group, a magic circle in a school full of strangers.

Chelsea is charmed and amazed at her sudden insider status, and ignores her mother's warnings about Ashley and t

Published October 1st 1988 by Laurel Leaf (first published April 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Ashley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Ashley

Jessica
May 29, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult
Desperate to fit in at her new school, a teenage girl does everything she can to join the popular crowd, lead by the seemingly perfect Ashley. But who are her real friends, and how long will it take her to realize that shoving aside her loving parents isn't the way to impress anyone?

Like most of Peck's books, this has wonderfully real characters, and whole scenes that, even after ten years or more, stand out in my head. It looks like Gossip Girl fluff, but is really an insightful look at popular
Kressel Housman
Aug 20, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
Every suburban high school has a Princess Ashley, but only a select few are allowed into her inner circle. When Chelsea moves to town, she's so thrilled to be let in, she can't see how much she's being used. The voice of warning comes through a class clown named Pod, who adds a few surprises of his own to the plot.

In his book on writing Invitation to the World, Richard Peck wrote that of all his books, Princess Ashley was his best researched, and he didn't have to go any further than the halls o
Emily A.
Apr 27, 2016 Emily A. rated it liked it
Reads like the literary equivalent of a Molly Ringwald movie. Take that however way you want it.
Ashley
I was barely alive when this book came out and my high school days occurred in the early 2000s. So, there wasn't a lot of parallels between Chelsea's life and my own. I did read this book pre-fifth grade and it shaped how I thought high school would be... meaning, it scared the crap out of me.
I recalled very little of the story-line, just that Ashley wasn't a clear-cut villain and all books should have a well-defined bad guy when you are 7-9 years old.
Rereading this showed me how badly I missed
Stephanie
This book was just Meh for me and Chelsea the main character, whom we are supposed to relate to was too much of a follower for my taste. Even when things were right in front of her she chose to ignore them, which made me hate her.

The best thing about this book was the 1980's references and things that I recognized having lived in that time.

One great character was Pod, Chelsea's boyfriend.

Faith Wiechers
Dec 10, 2015 Faith Wiechers rated it really liked it
As with all of Richard Peck's books, the characters are very must alive. I've read only his rural children's books and this one is very different. Set in the late 80's, Chelsea (an uncommon name then) is trying to find her place in a new high school. A few twists and surprises make this book hard to put down.
Brewsoise Beertrothed
Chelsea seethes with resentment. She loathes the fact she must start all over again and her mother for precipitating their move. Adrift in the choppy breakers of adolescence, Chelsea clings to the first life preserver thrown her way. Can she beyond the obvious to the truth?
Michelle
Mar 04, 2015 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: ref-booktalker
Listed as Q4 = Exceptional!, P4 = A book everyone wants to read
Akilah
Sep 10, 2010 Akilah rated it liked it
I felt like I didn't know the characters very well even as I knew almost everything about them. A brilliant commentary on how shallow teens can be? I don't know, but it just made the book okay and the ending have less impact.
Arlene
Jan 07, 2008 Arlene rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This book was good, but I didn't really care for it.
Elizabeth
Jul 25, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I read this when I was in high school.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Smurphegmail.Com
Smurphegmail.Com marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Cyan Crockett
Cyan Crockett marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Lynette
Lynette rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Angie Smith
Angie Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Majenta
Majenta rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Kiersten
Kiersten marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Lianna
Lianna marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Sheenagh Morrison
Sheenagh Morrison marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Ashley Stout
Ashley Stout marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Ztyu
Ztyu marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
FelisLibris
FelisLibris marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Divorce Express
  • The Girl in the Box
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • Silver (Sarabeth, #1)
  • No More Saturday Nights
  • Phone Calls
  • My First Love and Other Disasters (Victoria Martin, #2)
  • When the Dolls Woke
  • Goodbye Doesn't Mean Forever (Melissa & Jory, #2)
  • If I Love You, Am I Trapped Forever?
  • Beat the Turtle Drum
  • The Mystery of the Trail of Terror (The Three Investigators, #39)
  • Dear Lovey Hart, I Am Desperate
  • Friends for Life (Friends, #1)
  • How I Changed My Life
  • Twins: Dead Ringers
  • Thursday's Children
  • Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...