Start by marking “The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1

The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Fifteen-year-old Firiel lives in the remote highlands with her reclusive father. Country life is pleasant enough for Firiel--her father's servants adore her, his apprentice Rune is a good friend, and she's about to attend her first ball! But as Firiel prepares for the gala, she discovers her past is more complicated than she had thought--and she may be the heir the throne! ...more
Published October 10th 2006 by TokyoPop (first published November 7th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1

Pandora Hearts, Vol. 07 by Jun MochizukiBlack Butler, Vol. 6 by Yana TobosoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaChobits, Vol. 5 by CLAMPBlack Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana Toboso
Best Manga Covers
89th out of 473 books — 133 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrThe Hollow by Jessica VerdayHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Books I find Grabbing
31st out of 79 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Ah... Good Witch of the West... How I've missed you.

This was a really good series that was overshadowed by many other more popular series when it came out. It was pushed to the side as another "Fairy tale fantasy" and many dismissed it, but it's worth the second look.

Basically, the story centers around Firiel, a country bumpkin who lives with kindly neighbors while her dad spends all his time as a researcher in a tower, and Rune, a boy rescued from gypsies and apprenticed to Firiel's father. Bot
Young Firiel lives in her own close-to-perfect world. Raised in the highlands on a farm by friends of her father's, they almost became her loving parents. They nurtured and raised her as their own. with the warmth of a loving family she grew to be a beautiful twenty-two year old maiden with red hair that can be as fierce as a fire, but as golden as the sunlight. Firiel would often try to visit her father who was always locked away in his tower, lost in his studies, but end up spending time with ...more
The good witch of the west wind review
Art: The art is both amazing and plain very much a mix of shonen and shojo with pretty looking girls and hot guys but something else to. Amazing art work and Haruhiko Momokawa is an amazing artist B

Characters: Firiel, rune. Firiel is a bella/katniss she is a dopy kind of a girl with no real personality loving and caring no idea of her identity she then becomes more determent by the end of the story much like katniss in some ways a little. Rune is the profe
Sophie Gonzales
It's been a while since my last manga review )and I am shamefully behind in my regular reading), so I thought it was about time for another.

The Good Witch of the West is a fantasy drama manga about a young woman living a modest life in the countryside. However, her world is turned completely upside down after she attends a ball at a palace and discovers that she is an heir to extraordinary power.

I really enjoyed The Good Witch of the West. It got off to a bit of a slow start, but that's usually
After reading the novels of this series, I decided to pick up the manga just so that I could now see how the artist had interpreted the characters. I was not disappointed. This series is SOOO addicting that even though I believe this is my first manga series i read fully, I still love it more and more. Damn Tokyopop though won't translate the final volume and all the novels! That just makes me upset that this happens and readers like me who are devouring this series a million times over can't fu ...more
I liked this. At times I found the art a little hard to follow, but part of that could just be me being out of practice reading right to left. Still, so far I like the story, and the art is pretty. I liked the little references to fairy tales, and I hope that continues throughout. Firiel's mother gave her a book of fairy tales, so the stories have meaning to her.

Also, I thought Rune was adorable, and I hope nothing bad happened to him! I'm glad I already have the second volume.

It's nothing spec
Rachel (Sfogs)
This series seems very promising!
A really good read!

cute photo: CUTE 18-6.gif
This series starts off pretty slow at first but it redeems itself by the middle of the first book.
A young girl (turns out she has royal blood) grows up in a small quiet peasant town. She goes to a ball at the dukes castle where it is discovered that she has a royal heritage. And that is where all the similarities to the story of Cinderella end. Her whole life is turned upside down after that night and danger is coming in from every side.
It really starts to take off more by the second book as her
Mar 11, 2010 Kathy added it
Shelves: shojo
Firiel lives in the remote highlands of Sera Field where she is raised by Bo and Tabitha. Her father Professor Dee lives in a tower doing mathematical and astronomical research with an apprentice named Rune. Rune was found traveling with gypsies doing math tricks when he was a child. Firiel's Mom died when she was only 2 years old. Her Mother left her a necklace which turns from red to blue when it touches someone who is eligible to become Queen. Firiel wears it for the first time to a ball when ...more
Stephanie Toogood
This was a great start to a series. Will buy the rest, though unfortunately this series is incomplete and needs to be rescued. Maybe one day. Fingers crossed!
Jessica Nekuda
i hope that more of the background is revealed, i feel so lost!
It was a really nice story with beautiful artwork and I enjoyed the fairy tale touch to it.
All of it was rather cute. I find it a bit annoying how the two fifteen-year-olds look like they're 10. Surely, I didn't look that young four months ago, did I? Other than that, the art was decently drawn. I'm not one for the style. A bit too cutesy for my taste. And the story was a bit cliche. The characters extremely stereotypical.
Jan 14, 2009 Mr added it
a girl named firiel with no acknowledge of being the granddaughter of thestar queenand later founds out that. her dad had left ,master bo died and madam tabitha missing the only person with her is rune but in order to save firiel from the kiddnapers he let himself be captured. she's all alone now.
johanna ma
180 pages
An interesting if somewhat cliché book. Of course, it's only the first book. And the story is by Noriko Ogiwara. Just for that I will keep reading. I was enthralled by 'Dragon Sword and Wind Child', so I trust the story will get better. I'm also interested in reading the novels off of which this manga was based.
I did not like this book at all. I am new to manga so I'm checking out many volume 1s and this is the worst so far. I didn't really like the illustration. The flow of word bubbles was confusing. The story didn't make any sense and wasn't that interesting. I won't continue these books.

A cute manga story about a girl who finds out her mother (who died when she was 2) was a daughter of the queen. I like these books because the girl is strong and willing to give up an easy life to pursue what she wants in her life. There are a lot of references to different fairy tales.
I wanted this to be so much more. I truly did, but I couldn't even get through this volume. I had a tough time trying to piece together what on earth was even happening. It was enigmatic unnecessarily. Even if Tokyopop wasn't going under, this one would still incomplete.
I hate the art and I hate the way Firiel is made even more like a typical young sweet cheerful shojo heroine. It's nice to get some information about characters that wasn't revealed in the first two books, but that I assume gets revealed in later ones.
A little hard to jump into (Could be because I'm on a little bit of a hurry to finish as many books as I can as fast I can .... before I go to camp for a few days).

But it's cute. Interesting story line. I'm curious to see how it goes.
Alisi ☆ needs to stop starting new books ☆
I wanted to like this book and this series but it just didn't do it for me. I'm not entirely sure why. I love the art and I can't honestly say the story was bad. *shrug* Just one of those things, I guess.
cute, but the action through the panel progression is a little choppy and does not flow very well at times. Just read the first volume but it looks to be doing something interesting with old fairy tales.
This series centers on a girl, and the Star Queen Throne. The girl goes through trials that prove her personality/what she believes in. Yadda, yadda, yadda.... total shoujo cliche......
The story was difficult to follow and had too many fantasy/mystical elements flying around. Mediocre illustrations, too.
Jul 21, 2008 NiRmA rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
cerita fiksi dengan alur cerita yang bikin bingung. sampai terakhir baca tetep aja ga ngerti +_+ aku ga rekomendasiin buku ini.
Loveable characters and soft graphics lend themselves to an intriguing plot and storyline. Looking foward to the next.
check out my review at Toshokan Comix
i read this like a long time ago and i din't get it at all until i read it again for the 4th time O_o
Hmm. Definitely going to need to read the second volume before I can form an opinion.
I've read better "Cinderellla"-inspired manga's than this one.
  • Kasumi, Volume 1 (Kasumi, #1)
  • Arata: The Legend, Vol. 01 (Arata: The Legend, #1)
  • Blank Slate, Vol. 1
  • Maoh: Juvenile Remix, Vol. 1
  • Faeries' Landing, Volume 1
  • Two Flowers for the Dragon, Vol. 1
  • Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne Perfect Edition 01 (Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne Kanzenban, #1)
  • RG Veda, Vol. 01
  • Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School, Vol. 01
  • Fairy Cube, Vol. 01
  • AiON Volume 1
  • Planet Ladder, Volume 1
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, Vol. 1 (Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, #1)
  • .hack//G.U.+, Volume 1 (.hack//G.U.+, #1)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, Vol. 1 (Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, #1)
  • Ragnarok, Volume 1 (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars
  • Bizenghast, Volume 5 (Bizenghast, #5)