Start by marking “The End of Harry Potter?” as Want to Read:
The End of Harry Potter?

The End of Harry Potter?

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,392 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews

The publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final Harry Potter novel, is probably the most eagerly anticipated event in the history of publishing. Even the smallest hints from author J. K. Rowling about what may happen to Harry and his friends have been major news stories.

In The End of Harry Potter?, David Langford--Potter fan and award-winning

Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Harry Potter?, please sign up.

Daphne Delacroix Of course it does! It answers many questions that are left unanswered in the first six books!

PurplyCookie
You may think that with the end of the "Harry Potter" book series, reading a "guide" like this would prove pointless, but nonetheless, I found myself reminiscing quite a bit and enjoying the several theories and the then unanswered questions forwarded by avid fans before Rowling published "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows".

With a title like "The End of Harry Potter? An Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries that Remain" I expected the book to, well, speculate on the mysteries that remained. Odd
Kat Helgeson
Jun 20, 2008 Kat Helgeson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that the series has ended, you'd think this book would be a waste of time. Not so! Like Hermione in a Muggle Studies class, I find it fascinating to watch someone try to understand what I already know. Langford does a great job of analysis and more often than not his guesses are eerily accurate.
ah li
Apr 27, 2012 ah li rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Langford is brilliant! i read this after i read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but how he manages to get most plots right is absolutely mental (i was like why did i not think of that?). Pretty brilliant and eerie piece of work; how did he guessed Regulus's name so correctly and thought of diadem as the tiara in the room of requirement?? Did he had a time-turner or did he knew legilimency?
Callie Rose Tyler
Sep 16, 2013 Callie Rose Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was written between the 6th and 7th Harry Potter books and is meant to take a look at where the reader has been and speculate on what the 7th book will entail. Since the 7th book is out and has been for sometime this book might seem obsolete. However, this was not the case. There was a few pages here and there that I skipped through but overall the book was still enjoyable and thought provoking.

Langford is somewhat of an expert on the fantasy/science fiction genre and looks at works t
Nina
Sep 02, 2011 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of the Harry Potter books
This is a great review of the first six books, in-depth and intriguing. For a Harry Potter lover like myself, this was a huge blessing. It's about the six books that were published when this came out first, and analyzes them beautifully. I know a lot about Harry Potter and the background behind it, the logic and the randomness, the etymology and the plot devices, but this taught me so much more. And, just to finish it off, it's funny! It's a very easy and entertaining read. I've read this so man ...more
Tasneem
Mar 13, 2013 Tasneem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is fabulous. I'm a fan, a real fan, and I must say the analysis of this book was beautifully done. It is well worth a read, even after the end of the series, after all the fanfictions have been read and so on. The way in which he deconstructs the texts, then comes up with possible scenarios is inspired. Now, in hindsight, some of the suggestions are too good to reject as mere guesswork. I loved it also for the way in which it gives a proper look into writing theory. Any fan of the serious s ...more
Kristin Sumrall
If you're an avid reader like me, I'm sure there have been times when you have finished a book or a series before a friend and have had the chance to listen to their thoughts and theories on what was going to happen in the books. That was what reading this book felt like. The End of Harry Potter? by David Langford was written between the publication of the sixth and seventh Harry Potter books and delved into possible theories for what could happen in the last book, as well as including detailed ...more
grok1
cool book.
Rida Shams
Jul 02, 2013 Rida Shams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is unbelievably entertaining. It's surprising how accurate Langford's predictions are, and his miscalculations for the seventh book would still make a good Harry Potter ending, but not J.K. Rowling's ending, which was perfect.

My favorite part would have to be "The Land of Voldemordor" sequence. That was simply hilarious.
Ehsan Charolia
May 18, 2014 Ehsan Charolia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A 5 star review just because of the accuracy in analytic predictions and the sheer brilliance displayed by someone who now I view as one of the most observant people I've ever known about; David Langford.
It's almost like he was there when J.K.Rowling wrote certain parts of the 7th book.
Also,reading this book has increased the amount of respect and admiration I had for the Queen of fantasy literature, J.K.Rowling.
Most Potterheads may have already read this, but if you haven't...Well, don't waste
Darshil Nanavati

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2, movie number eight in this phenomenal series, is by far my favorite movie of 2011. We've all waited for years for this moment to come, and although it does feel like it has gone by so fast, I'm sure many can agree with me that it was well worth the wait. Sequels usually are a waste of time, and don't even compare to the first, but with Harry Potter, with each school year that has passed, the story just kept getting better.

I'll admit that I was sad and
Sandra Visser
Sep 14, 2015 Sandra Visser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very enjoyable as it refreshes your memory of important events in previous books that could play a role in the last novel, and also because it's tongue-in-cheek and hilarious, especially the part where Langford describes the possible ending by writing it like The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. And his discussion of Snape and the horcruxes is very interesting and spot-on.

Sarina
Oct 19, 2015 Sarina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being an absolute Harry Potter nerd (And proud of it!) I became determined to read every Harry Potter related book in my local library, including this one. And honestly, most of it was hilarious, sometimes a dry humor but still, I laughed out loud a lot and that doesn't usually happen for me. It was also immensely intriguing, for some of the predictions the author had for the 7th book were right on, which was extremely impressive. The predictions, however, that were so amusingly off made me feel ...more
Bernard Williams

excellent book with a great plot and interesting attractive and very entertaining.
Arya
Oct 19, 2015 Arya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
chucklesthescot
Oct 11, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, youngadult
Utter rubbish. He covered a lot of the same material that has appeared in every other Harry Potter fanbook and then put a few ideas and discussions in as to what he thought was going to happen in book 7, based on what we actually know is going to happen in book 7. Of course we are going to find out Snapes story. Of course we will discover where the Horcruxes are and what they are hidden in (DUH). There was nothing new or interesting in this book that I couldn't have worked out for myself so as a ...more
Kristina
Enjoyable, but not one of my favorites. Good read though.
kvon
Jul 30, 2007 kvon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read 'The End of Harry Potter?' by perpetual Hugo winner Dave Langford, except I didn't read the last part where I suppose he guesses what will happen in HP#7. The rest of it is a fan's acute analysis of Rowling's story style, such as her use of foreshadowing and unresolved threads. It's actually a good way to remember what's happened so far in the series. Well written.

Addendum post HP#7: No, he didn't come close to guessing the ending. Feel free to read the last chapter without fear of spoile
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 05, 2010 Kathleen Dixon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I don't want to say anything negative about this book, because it appears very well researched and most thorough, and if I'd taken it home from the library knowing what to expect then I'm sure I would have liked it.

Unfortunately, the title fooled me (my fault) and I didn't read the blurb. I only read the wee reference on the back written by Terry Pratchett, and from that (because I really enjoy Pratchett's works) I decided this was going to be really funny. Again, my fault.
Brandon O'Neill
This was published before book 7 came out. I wanted to read it, since I had just finished re-reading book 6. I was never really into all the online speculation of what will happen - I just read the books. Obviously, most of this is now outdated, but I did enjoy learning about the origins of many of the characters names and analyzing some foreshadowing and how they were fulfilled in later books. Quick read but pointless if you are huge into the series.
RumBelle
Feb 19, 2016 RumBelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I like reading these books to see what, if any, speculations the authors got right. I would give this book about a 50% success rate. A lot of the characterizations were way off, in my view, however, some were very close to how things ended. Also, the author did go off on some very bizarre tangents, like what possible anagrams of Harry's name could mean. All in all, an enjoyable, if somewhat flawed, book.
Nikki DeLash
Sep 25, 2007 Nikki DeLash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any harry potter fan
This book was interesting because it brought up a lot of different theories about how the Harry Potter series would end. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it between book 6 and book 7. But since I read it after book 7 it was nice to get some supplemental history on the characters and plots throughout the series. A fun quick read.
Andd Becker
Readers can consult questions to see which ones are answered in HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS.
Hidden meanings of surnames are examined. Detailed meanings of 40 names in the Harry Potter books are given.
The smoke-and-mirrors technique (wherein the author lists one significant item among insignificant items) is discussed.
M
This was a fun book to read. It was full of quite a bit of detail and speculation. Knowing the end of the book series doesn't diminish the enjoyment this book brings. I find I need to go back and read them all again to pick up the clues I missed the first time around.
Jessie
Oct 23, 2007 Jessie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some intersting stuff, but a lot of hooey too. The highlight was the author's analysis of the names Rowling bestows on her characters, locations and spells. Really interesting if you're obsessed with Harry Potter (like me) and fascinated by linguistics (like me).
Barry
Sep 17, 2007 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
There were some amazing insights and details pointed out from the books that I never would have noticed without Langford pointing them out (and a few I had to go back and find). The only drawbacks are in speculation of what to expect from the next book.
David
Jan 14, 2016 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is so perfect.
Whitney
May 10, 2009 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harry-potter
You know you're a Harry Potter nerd when you enjoy reading books like this. : ) It came out about a year before Deathly Hallows did, and it has all of the theories for what would happen in the last book. For the most part, it was fairly accurate.
Luke
May 25, 2007 Luke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HP Fanatics!
The author gives an amazingly in-depth look at all the mysteries that remain of Harry Potter! Things I never even thought of were brought to my attention, and things that seemed to be important were thought about even more carefully. Great book!
Ashley
Oct 04, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to hold you over while waiting for the last book in the series; includes very interesting hidden facts about the books and some surprisingly accurate predictions.
Harry Potter Series 1 15 Nov 22, 2010 07:35PM
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books behind the Hogwarts Adventures
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • Harry Potter and History
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic
  • MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy: Hogwarts for Muggles
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • J. K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter
  • Harry Potter & Imagination: The Way Between Two Worlds
19443
British science-fiction author, editor and critic. He publishes the newsletter Ansible.
More about David Langford...