Start by marking “The Day The Sea Rolled Back” as Want to Read:
The Day The Sea Rolled Back

The Day The Sea Rolled Back

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A man and his 12-year-old son lose all hope of finding a sunken treasure in the Caribbean. Then one day a strange thing happens to the sea.
Published July 23rd 1979 by Dutton Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Day The Sea Rolled Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day The Sea Rolled Back

Thomas
Jan 13, 2015 Thomas rated it liked it
A couple of weeks back, I was reminded of this book thanks to someone else asking about the name of the book. I had read this before, back when I was at least 30 years younger than I am now, and once we managed to track down the name of the book (and the surprise author!), I requested it through the library. Aside from being a source of nostalgia, the book had become a curiosity because it had been written by Mickey Spillane.

I've never read anything else by Spillane, but I could tell that the bo
Cindy May
First book I ever received (signed) from an author. I wrote him (Mickey Spillane) a fan letter when I was in high school for a paper I was writing about him. He not only wrote back (a hand typed letter), but he sent me an autographed copy of his only children's book. I think he's deceased now.

On a slightly related (or not) note, Stacy Keach used to play the character of Mike Hammer (one of Spillane's most popular characters in his detective novels) in all the made-for-TV movies that aired during
Margaret
I only read this because my husband found it at Powell's and remembered reading it when he was a kid. It was dreadful. I can't remember it well enough to go into detail about its dreadfulness, but I know I don't want to read it again to sharpen my recall.
Trever Bacon
The Day The Sea Rolled Back by Mickey Spillane is about 2 kids that find a treasure box that they need to hide so they put it under a doc and leave it there. When they later find out that theirs a storm coming they go to treasure box and its not there. They see a diver crew next to the box, and they come up with an idea to get it back.

To get it back they make a big seen and take it, but then they leave it on a beach. Then they leave and the storm is coming sooner then they thought so they go ba
Deanna Anderson
Nov 19, 2014 Deanna Anderson rated it really liked it
A young adult mystery, but it sounded intriguing so I picked it up. It's good, read it in one night. I would recommend it for kids...maybe ages 8-13 depending on reading level.
Debra
Sep 02, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book needs more readers, especially young teens. It was a great adventure story about a weird low tide and buried treasure, suddenly unburied. The 2 boys in the book are at times in mortal danger, so there is some good suspense here. I really like the fun fast read.
Metagion
Sep 26, 2011 Metagion rated it liked it
This book wasn't TOO bad; it was geared more toward younger kids than adults. Not a bad story either; but it didn't hold my interest as well as it could have because it felt "dated" to me. Not bad, though, since it's a quick read.
Stephanie A.
An exciting treasure hunt adventure, one of the last waves (no pun intended) of classic boys' stories.
Steven
Jun 01, 2010 Steven rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010, thriller
Not good. Thankfully short.
Ron Sadowski
Jul 27, 2012 Ron Sadowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
12-11-03
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Richard Goodman
Richard Goodman marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Barker English
Barker English rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Amanda Lyon
Amanda Lyon rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2015
Stacy Miller
Stacy Miller rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Erika Whitters
Erika Whitters marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Jina
Jina rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
John Lamberth
John Lamberth rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Terry Schumacher
Terry Schumacher rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Casimir
Casimir rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2014
Jolene
Jolene marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Zach
Zach rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2013
Kimberly Conklin
Kimberly Conklin rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2013
Harl
Harl marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Man Solo
Man Solo marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Mary Harden
Mary Harden rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Beeph Wellington
Beeph Wellington rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Mickey Spillane was one of the world's most popular mystery writers. His specialty was tight-fisted, sadistic revenge stories, often featuring his alcoholic gumshoe Mike Hammer and a cast of evildoers who launder money or spout the Communist Party line.

His writing style was characterized by short words, lightning transitions, gruff sex and violent endings. It was once tallied that he offed 58 peop
More about Mickey Spillane...