Start by marking “No Return” as Want to Read:
No Return

No Return

An F-18 Navy fighter careens out of the blue sky above the Mojave desert. A TV cameraman who grew up in a small town just miles away can see what is going to happen next. Frantically, Wes Stewart races to the downed jet and tries to save the pilot’s life. When the plane explodes, Wes escapes without harm—and plunges into a murderous conspiracy.

It’s been fifteen years since
Published January 31st 2012 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about No Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Return

Feb 21, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: brett-battles
In between writing shorts stories & the next book in his Quinn series, Brett Battles has found time to write, yet, another standalone novel, NO RETURN. NO RETURN is a thriller with a mystery wrapped up in it. As a prodigious fan of Brett’s, I always look forward to his books & what new stories he has to offer.

This story takes place in Brett’s hometown of Ridgecrest, CA. Our main character, Wes Stewart, who also happens to be from Ridgecrest, returns after 15+ years while part of a filmin
Lucinda
Jan 11, 2013 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
A heart-stopping, intensely gripping read with ingenious plot twists as to keep you sweating all the way to the end!!

This captivating page-turner is a pure delight and heart pounding extravaganza, which leaves you breathless as you become entwined within an absorbing tale. Fueled by fast-paced action and intense drama from the very first page, I was plunged into a nail-biting astonishing read that doesn’t let go. Unable to put this book down for even a moment I was so impressed by an accomplish
Joe  Noir
Jun 09, 2013 Joe Noir rated it liked it
A TV crew is filming a television show at the Trona Pinnacles at the dry bed of Searles Lake in the Mojave Desert. An F-18 takes off from nearby NAS China Lake, and crashes near the film crew. Cameraman Wes Stewart is first at the plane, and tries unsuccessfully to free the still alive pilot. The plane bursts into flames and the pilot is killed. The next day, the local paper prints the story, but the photo they print of the pilot is not the man Stewart tried to save. It could be an error, but St ...more
Ubiquitousbastard
Jun 09, 2014 Ubiquitousbastard rated it it was ok
Brett Battles, how dare you disappoint me. It was like opening up socks for Christmas (kid point of view, not adult) when you were expecting a Gameboy or something. Contrary to typical Battles style, this took about a third of the book to get started, and even then it wasn't all that compelling. Then there is the most obnoxious character of Anna, where seriously...I don't know how to express my utter distaste for her bland uselessness. Oh, and the "mysterious past" I had guessed at about, I don' ...more
Tom Tischler
Aug 04, 2016 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it
An F 18 Navy fighter jet careens out of control in the sky's over the Mohave desert.
A TV cameraman who is on location there races to the downed jet and tries to save
the pilot. It's been 15 years since Wes Stewart has been back to the desolate land of
his childhood. Now he finds himself up against the local police, the US military and
someone who is tracking his every move. In the final moments Wes spent with the
dying pilot he discovered something that could get him killed. While he tries to
unt
Sandy thyer
This was a good thriller it started out good and kept up the suspense. I really enjoyed it. I had been in a real reading slump and couldn't get out of it! This book brought me out of it.
Gerald Curtis
Dec 01, 2014 Gerald Curtis rated it really liked it
This was a great mystery story with a very unusual plot and lots of characters who fool you.
Raven
Jan 21, 2013 Raven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brett Battles is a new author for me and I’m always keen to discover new thriller writers, so was delighted to receive a copy of this gripping stand alone. Centring on the character of Wes Stewart, who finds himself embroiled in a military conspiracy, I fairly raced through this one, with its clipped chapters and cleverly measured twists in the plot to keep you thinking just one more chapter, just one more chapter…

I loved the cinematic set-up of the plot, with the story revolving around the deso
Blood Rose Books
May 09, 2014 Blood Rose Books rated it it was ok
Brett Battles is known for his Jonathan Quinn series but he has also written some stand alone novel, and in this one an army training run goes completely wrong:
An small independent film company is in Mojave desert to film a travel show. While out in the desert they look up to see a F-18 Navy fighter that suddenly looses control. Wes Stewart is the first to react, frantically racing towards the crash to try and save the pilot if he is still alive. Wes cannot believe that the pilot survived the
Thomas
Feb 17, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway at the end of 2012, and I'm glad to say it continues the trend of high quality fares available from this site. Brett Battles 'No Return' is an excellent mystery/thriller story which is partly about the navy covering up the death of a US Fighter Pilot but also partly about one man's return back home for the first time since childhood. At its heart is a strong, surprisingly affecting tale about facing up to the consequences of your actions, some ...more
Jodi
Feb 23, 2012 Jodi rated it really liked it
While an L.A. film crew was busy putting in a day’s work for the Close to Home travel series, they witness the horrible crash of an F-18 Navy fighter plane. Wes Stewart, the crew’s cameraman, rushes to the scene of the crash to help extricate the pilot. Unable to free the pilot because of a jammed restraint, Wes runs to get a knife to cut the harness, but when he turns to head back the plane bursts into flames and the pilot is killed.

The morning after the crash Wes wakes up in his hotel that hap
Jamey Goodyear
Feb 14, 2014 Jamey Goodyear rated it it was amazing
No Return is an action-packed novel by Brett Battles.

The story starts off with a bang, literally. An F-18 Navy fighter crashes in the Mojave Desert almost taking out a film crew doing a segment for a morning show. Our hero, Wes, rushes to the plane to try and get the pilot out before the plane explodes. He isn’t able to save the pilot.

The next morning the pilot is identified in the local paper. Interestingly, the picture isn’t of the pilot that was on the plane. Wes starts asking questions at
Suby
Feb 28, 2012 Suby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not often that I get to read a new novel within the first month after its publication. In the case of this book I did get a copy in time and I did finish reading it within the first month!
The is a good story about how crimes unwittingly committed in youth can still haunt a person 17 years later. While on a TV shooting assignment with a team to his native place the hero finds odd things happening at the naval base there which looks very much like a cover up. He starts investigating with the
Jp
Oct 07, 2013 Jp rated it really liked it
Though my reviews are pretty mediocre, I have to say that I enjoy Brett Battles' books. They're pleasant airport thrillers.

This is a bit of a departure from his hyper-capable Jonathan Quinn series and I actually found the struggles of an average person caught up in the thriller plot a little easier to relate to.

The plotting could have been a little tighter and the villain a little less obvious, even if the motives were murky throughout the book.

All and all, I'd recommend it to any of my friends
Claudette
Mar 23, 2012 Claudette rated it really liked it
I love Brett Battles. I love his writing, I love his characters, I love his dialogue, and I love his plots. This book was very good for 3 out of 4 of these elements - everything but the plot. Actually, the plot was good, but the end seems to let the more important plot-line fizzle out, and gives the secondary story top billing. The secondary story should have remained secondary, or at least tied into the main storyline a bit more closely. As it is, the end was totally disjointed and completely u ...more
Lili
Jan 10, 2013 Lili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wes Stewart heroically tries to rescue the pilot from a fighter jet crash in the Mojave desert; but what he sees can get him killed. There follows an exhilarating and enthralling story, involving deceit, corruption and a secret from Wes’s past. This is a fast paced adventure with an extremely interesting plot it is a thriller to keep the reader fully charged until the final chapter.

Brett Battles is an author new to me and I received this as a Goodreads First-read, but he is an author whose work
Kelly Stewart
Sep 30, 2012 Kelly Stewart rated it really liked it
I came across this author in a review someone had written about a Barry Eisler book I had just read, and decided to check him out. I read "No Return" first because it is a stand-alone, and I wanted to get a feel for Battles' writing before getting involved with one of his series. Also, the main character of this book is Wesley Stewart, my oldest son's name. ;-) I will be reading more of Battles' books!
Bill Warden
May 31, 2012 Bill Warden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
I'd give this book 6 stars if I could. The action just kept coming! It was hard to put the book down at times. I'm looking forward to reading some of Brett Battles' other books. Overall, I'd HIGHLY recommend anyone to read this book. Especially if you enjoy thrillers (Meltzer, Rollins, Patterson, etc).
Becky
Feb 08, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
I've been a big fan of Mr. Battles' Jonathon Quinn series since I first discovered it. It was a very pleasant surprise to find a "standard alone" story with new characters. Yes, Mr. Battles CAN do an action-packed thriller without Mr. Quinn and friends. If you haven't checked out Mr. Battles' works, this would be a great place to get a taste.
Bob Ely
Sep 25, 2016 Bob Ely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. A man goes back to his hometown after a length of time on a work assignment. He gets involved in a Military cover-up and issues relating to his past. The author leads you to believe the Military is responsible for all that is going on. You do not find out until the last few chapters who is involved in the personal issues. I highly recommend this book.
Jeff Rhodes
Jul 15, 2015 Jeff Rhodes rated it really liked it
Of course, it helps that I attended high school with Brett in the town the novel takes place in, but remove that association and I still found No Return to be a fun read! The action and descriptive scenery put me back home. I could see every twist and turn as though I was the main character being driven around by Brett himself! I shall be reading more of his mastery.
Wilde Sky
Feb 26, 2016 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
A film crew witness a plane crash and get involved in a cover-up.

This book gripped me from the first few pages and had plenty of twists and turns. The characters were good and the plot was strong / fast paced. A few bits and pieces in the storyline didn’t ring true, hence the 4 star instead of 5 star rating.
Julie Carter
Feb 20, 2015 Julie Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intense thriller, this story kept me guessing through all of the twists and turns. I liked that the mystery was multidimensional and that the focus continued to change. I thought the narration was good and will look for more audiobooks by this author.
Mary
Sep 11, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok
Couldn't get into the story. Wes and Lars, old friends from long ago have a secret to hide that is slowly revealed when Wes returns to town to film a reality show. Meanwhile, Wes observes a plane crash and a coverup that involves Lars as well.
Raenie
May 10, 2012 Raenie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Very nicely written mystery! Love the way the plot develops, as the story progresses. :)

Danger, and suspense, (yes) but;

No blood, gore, or sex. Guess I like the *g* rated stories best! ;)

I read it as an ebook, on my Kindle for PC, on loan from my local Library! (lol)
Mark
A stand-alone from the author of the Jonathon Quinn "Cleaner Series"...a documentary TV crew witnesses a military aircraft crash while filming and is drawn into a massive DOD fraud...one of the crew, who has come home must revisit horrible events from his HS years...OK read!
Katherine VanderSluis
Apr 01, 2016 Katherine VanderSluis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action-suspense
I greatly enjoyed this stand-alone novel by Brett Battles. Kind of in the style of his Quinn books, but also set in places where he & I both grew up, with local history and haunts embedded throughout. My bias on that is preferential, but I would still recommend it to "outsiders."
22a1cheaper
Fair to middlin

I read the whole book but it was a chore. It didn't flow at least for me. It was a good story anyway. Perhaps I'm being too critical. The characters were real and that's the battle that's hardest to do.

melissa
Feb 24, 2013 melissa rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! This one was a very engaging read, I definitely think that Brett's person experience with aspects of this story had a huge impact on his writing. I would love to see what else Brett has up his sleeve as far as stand alone books go. Well done... Absolutely fabulous book!
Gwdbis3
Feb 02, 2016 Gwdbis3 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, fast read

My first from Battles and quite enjoyed the pace and storylines. The characters were well developed and kept me interested the whole way through.
  • The Eighth Square
  • Goodbye Baby Blue
  • I Know What You Did Last Supper
  • The Blue Ice
  • The Sulphur Cure
  • Gator Aide (Rachel Porter, #1)
  • The Khmer Kill
  • Meltwater (Fire & Ice, #3)
  • Hunting Season
  • The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen
  • The Finder
  • A Sealed Fate
Brett Battles is a Barry Award-winning author of over twenty-five novels, including Rewinder, the Jonathan Quinn series, the Logan Harper series, and the Project Eden series. He’s also the coauthor, with Robert Gregory Browne, of the Alexandra Poe series. You can learn more at his website: brettbattles.com
More about Brett Battles...