No Return: A Novel

No Return: A Novel

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  32 reviews
An F-18 Navy fighter careens out of the blue sky above the Mojave desert. A TV cameraman who grew up in a small town just miles away can see what is going to happen next. Frantically, Wes Stewart races to the downed jet and tries to save the pilot’s life. When the plane explodes, Wes escapes without harm—and plunges into a murderous conspiracy.

It’s been fifteen years since...more
Published January 31st 2012 by Dell (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about No Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Return

Lucinda
A heart-stopping, intensely gripping read with ingenious plot twists as to keep you sweating all the way to the end!!

This captivating page-turner is a pure delight and heart pounding extravaganza, which leaves you breathless as you become entwined within an absorbing tale. Fueled by fast-paced action and intense drama from the very first page, I was plunged into a nail-biting astonishing read that doesn’t let go. Unable to put this book down for even a moment I was so impressed by an accomplish...more
Ubiquitousbastard
Brett Battles, how dare you disappoint me. It was like opening up socks for Christmas (kid point of view, not adult) when you were expecting a Gameboy or something. Contrary to typical Battles style, this took about a third of the book to get started, and even then it wasn't all that compelling. Then there is the most obnoxious character of Anna, where seriously...I don't know how to express my utter distaste for her bland uselessness. Oh, and the "mysterious past" I had guessed at about, I don'...more
Joe  Noir
A TV crew is filming a television show at the Trona Pinnacles at the dry bed of Searles Lake in the Mojave Desert. An F-18 takes off from nearby NAS China Lake, and crashes near the film crew. Cameraman Wes Stewart is first at the plane, and tries unsuccessfully to free the still alive pilot. The plane bursts into flames and the pilot is killed. The next day, the local paper prints the story, but the photo they print of the pilot is not the man Stewart tried to save. It could be an error, but St...more
In between writing shorts stories & the next book in his Quinn series, Brett Battles has found time to write, yet, another standalone novel, NO RETURN. NO RETURN is a thriller with a mystery wrapped up in it. As a prodigious fan of Brett’s, I always look forward to his books & what new stories he has to offer.

This story takes place in Brett’s hometown of Ridgecrest, CA. Our main character, Wes Stewart, who also happens to be from Ridgecrest, returns after 15+ years while part of a filmin...more
Blood Rose Books
Brett Battles is known for his Jonathan Quinn series but he has also written some stand alone novel, and in this one an army training run goes completely wrong:
An small independent film company is in Mojave desert to film a travel show. While out in the desert they look up to see a F-18 Navy fighter that suddenly looses control. Wes Stewart is the first to react, frantically racing towards the crash to try and save the pilot if he is still alive. Wes cannot believe that the pilot survived the...more
Sandy thyer
This was a good thriller it started out good and kept up the suspense. I really enjoyed it. I had been in a real reading slump and couldn't get out of it! This book brought me out of it.
Raven
Brett Battles is a new author for me and I’m always keen to discover new thriller writers, so was delighted to receive a copy of this gripping stand alone. Centring on the character of Wes Stewart, who finds himself embroiled in a military conspiracy, I fairly raced through this one, with its clipped chapters and cleverly measured twists in the plot to keep you thinking just one more chapter, just one more chapter…

I loved the cinematic set-up of the plot, with the story revolving around the deso...more
Thomas
I received this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway at the end of 2012, and I'm glad to say it continues the trend of high quality fares available from this site. Brett Battles 'No Return' is an excellent mystery/thriller story which is partly about the navy covering up the death of a US Fighter Pilot but also partly about one man's return back home for the first time since childhood. At its heart is a strong, surprisingly affecting tale about facing up to the consequences of your actions, some...more
Jodi
While an L.A. film crew was busy putting in a day’s work for the Close to Home travel series, they witness the horrible crash of an F-18 Navy fighter plane. Wes Stewart, the crew’s cameraman, rushes to the scene of the crash to help extricate the pilot. Unable to free the pilot because of a jammed restraint, Wes runs to get a knife to cut the harness, but when he turns to head back the plane bursts into flames and the pilot is killed.

The morning after the crash Wes wakes up in his hotel that hap...more
Suby
It is not often that I get to read a new novel within the first month after its publication. In the case of this book I did get a copy in time and I did finish reading it within the first month!
The is a good story about how crimes unwittingly committed in youth can still haunt a person 17 years later. While on a TV shooting assignment with a team to his native place the hero finds odd things happening at the naval base there which looks very much like a cover up. He starts investigating with the...more
Jp
Though my reviews are pretty mediocre, I have to say that I enjoy Brett Battles' books. They're pleasant airport thrillers.

This is a bit of a departure from his hyper-capable Jonathan Quinn series and I actually found the struggles of an average person caught up in the thriller plot a little easier to relate to.

The plotting could have been a little tighter and the villain a little less obvious, even if the motives were murky throughout the book.

All and all, I'd recommend it to any of my friends...more
Claudette
I love Brett Battles. I love his writing, I love his characters, I love his dialogue, and I love his plots. This book was very good for 3 out of 4 of these elements - everything but the plot. Actually, the plot was good, but the end seems to let the more important plot-line fizzle out, and gives the secondary story top billing. The secondary story should have remained secondary, or at least tied into the main storyline a bit more closely. As it is, the end was totally disjointed and completely u...more
Jim A
A stand alone novel from Battles.

Not as engaging as the Quinn series, in my opinion. Still, if a reader likes the style of Battles, it should be on the 'to read' list.
Lili
Wes Stewart heroically tries to rescue the pilot from a fighter jet crash in the Mojave desert; but what he sees can get him killed. There follows an exhilarating and enthralling story, involving deceit, corruption and a secret from Wes’s past. This is a fast paced adventure with an extremely interesting plot it is a thriller to keep the reader fully charged until the final chapter.

Brett Battles is an author new to me and I received this as a Goodreads First-read, but he is an author whose work...more
Kelly Stewart
I came across this author in a review someone had written about a Barry Eisler book I had just read, and decided to check him out. I read "No Return" first because it is a stand-alone, and I wanted to get a feel for Battles' writing before getting involved with one of his series. Also, the main character of this book is Wesley Stewart, my oldest son's name. ;-) I will be reading more of Battles' books!
Becky
I've been a big fan of Mr. Battles' Jonathon Quinn series since I first discovered it. It was a very pleasant surprise to find a "standard alone" story with new characters. Yes, Mr. Battles CAN do an action-packed thriller without Mr. Quinn and friends. If you haven't checked out Mr. Battles' works, this would be a great place to get a taste.
Bill Warden
I'd give this book 6 stars if I could. The action just kept coming! It was hard to put the book down at times. I'm looking forward to reading some of Brett Battles' other books. Overall, I'd HIGHLY recommend anyone to read this book. Especially if you enjoy thrillers (Meltzer, Rollins, Patterson, etc).
Raenie
Very nicely written mystery! Love the way the plot develops, as the story progresses. :)

Danger, and suspense, (yes) but;

No blood, gore, or sex. Guess I like the *g* rated stories best! ;)

I read it as an ebook, on my Kindle for PC, on loan from my local Library! (lol)
melissa
Fantastic book! This one was a very engaging read, I definitely think that Brett's person experience with aspects of this story had a huge impact on his writing. I would love to see what else Brett has up his sleeve as far as stand alone books go. Well done... Absolutely fabulous book!
Sablemorgans
started out well then not so hot
Mary
Couldn't get into the story. Wes and Lars, old friends from long ago have a secret to hide that is slowly revealed when Wes returns to town to film a reality show. Meanwhile, Wes observes a plane crash and a coverup that involves Lars as well.
Dennis Founds
Easy to read. Good story which was written to honor an actual US serviceman who lost his life testing an airplane but kept the plane from hitting a residential area.
Dave
Interesting plot, protagonist is indecisive and a bit nieve ... Brett Battles has written approximately 20 novels, grab any of them there all good.
Any Length
Good plot, good subplot, nice touch to have the author interview about the background inspiration for the pilot crash at the end of the book.
Al
A real disappointment. He tried to change his format and bring inexperiences from his high school days. But it didn't work. At least hot for me.
Glen
Jun 13, 2012 Glen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
An easy, quick read with an unexpected twist at the end that veers off from the path you think the plot was taking.
Jay Clement
Another good read by Battles. Nice to read a book outside the Cleaner series.
Mark Pool
This is NOT one of Battles's The Cleaner novels. It's OK.
Oma
Good plot. It was written well with lots of twists.
Chon
Pretty good conspiracy thriller with a twist ending.
  • We Are Here
  • The Professor
  • Larkswood
  • The Wreck Of The 'Mary Deare'
  • I Know What You Did Last Supper
  • London Twist
  • Dark Side of Valor: A Novel
  • A Sealed Fate
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Hunting Season
  • Collateral Damage (Matt Royal Mystery #6)
  • The Edge of Forever
  • In the Arms of Danger
  • Mamma, pappa, barn (Hammarbyserien, #2)
  • The Sixth Sense (Brier Hospital, #3)
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thrillers, Book #3)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • Shift (Gate of Orpheus Trilogy #1)
Brett Battles is a Barry Award-winning author of over twenty novels, including Rewinder, the Jonathan Quinn series, the Logan Harper series, and the Project Eden series. He’s also the coauthor, with Robert Gregory Browne, of the Alexandra Poe series. You can learn more at his website: brettbattles.com
More about Brett Battles...
The Cleaner (Jonathan Quinn, #1) The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2) Sick (Project Eden, #1) Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3) The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)