Start by marking “The Wolf's Hour” as Want to Read:
The Wolf's Hour

The Wolf's Hour (Michael Gallatin #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,235 Ratings  ·  280 Reviews
This book is a remarkable tale of pulse-pounding excitement with a uniquely sympathetic, fascinating portrait of the werewolf as noble warrior-and conflicted being. Complex, compelling and utterly real.
Mass Market Paperback, 603 pages
Published August 15th 1990 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf's Hour, please sign up.

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
84th out of 1,356 books — 4,133 voters
Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen KingThe Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammonThe Wolfen by Whitley StrieberWolf Hunt by Jeff StrandThe Howling by Gary Brandner
Werewolf Books That Are Not Found In The Romance Genre
2nd out of 167 books — 177 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
Jan 16, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2012
Michael Gallatin is a master spy during World War II. He also happens to be a werewolf. He comes out of retirement for one last mission: to stop a secret Nazi operation called Iron Fist. Can Michael stop Iron Fist and retain his humanity?

The Wolf's Hour is what would happen if Captain America was a werewolf instead of a super-hero. Yes, I remember the atrocious CapWolf storyline from the 1990's. That doesn't count since it didn't happen during World War II.

Wolf's Hour tells two parallel stories:
Joe Valdez
Sep 13, 2015 Joe Valdez rated it it was amazing
British agent Michael Gallatin parachutes into occupied France on a mission deemed critical to the imminent Allied invasion of Europe in June 1944. He's assisted by a secret only three others on earth are privy to: Michael Gallatin is a werewolf. Resistance fighters, Gestapo agents and civilians caught in their web each sense something unique about Gallatin, and as the story moves back in time to Russia, we see how an adolescent Mikhail Gallatinov came to acquire his unique abilities ...

If you d
Jonathan Janz
Sep 15, 2014 Jonathan Janz rated it it was amazing
I’ve only read two McCammon books so far (SWAN SONG and THE WOLF’S HOUR), but I’ve come to a conclusion.

Robert McCammon doesn’t write novels. He writes masterpieces.

I expected that of SWAN SONG, since many folks place it up there with (and, in some minds, above) one of my favorite novels, Stephen King’s THE STAND. After reading SWAN SONG, I felt the praise was warranted. It’s a towering classic of our genre.

What I didn’t expect was for THE WOLF’S HOUR to rival the majesty of SWAN SONG.

THE WOLF’S
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
What if one of the Allies' greatest spies during WWII was a werewolf?

The Wolf's Hour is the story of Michael Gallatin, born Mikhail Gallatinov. His journey is sprawling and meaty, full of intense moments, both emotional and physical. Although I am not sure this technically counts as an epic, it feels very epic to me. Because there is so much to see about how Michael goes from being a privileged eight-year-old during the bloody Russian Revolution to a thirty-four year old British Secret Service
Michael
Apr 29, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
This is probably my favorite of all the McCammon books. How can you go wrong with a werewolf master spy fighting against the Nazis? You can't.
Its just pure pulp fun. Some may consider it trash but they're just not enlightened.
Bill
If Jason Bourne and rabid Lassie had a love child on the set of The Dirty Dozen directed by John Woo, this is what you’d get.

Nazi’s make me fucking sick. I can’t believe that this kind of shit went down not all that long ago. Anytime a Nazi piece of shit gets killed I can’t help but want to stand up and cheer and there was no shortage of it in this one. Good. Fuckers.

Oh yeah, and there were werewolves in here too. A little spy thriller/ espionagey (yes, that is a word) for me, but I believe it w
Srividya
We are all familiar with the old adage, Time and Tide wait for none, and this truly applies to me. I am that grasshopper that starts working at the last minute; be it studying for exams or completing tasks or even reading books. Procrastination is something that is like second skin to me and I have to admit that I am not proud of it. Only true procrastinators will understand the futility of advising us with dire consequences. It is as I said part and parcel of our lives. Why am I taking about pr ...more
Manju
Dec 10, 2014 Manju rated it really liked it
After reading the blurb of this book I am not sure what was I expecting from this book. I have not read a lot of World War and spy books, the only plus point of this book to me was that the lead of the book was a werewolf. I have read McCammon’s Boy’s Life which is one of my all time favorites, and I wanted to read more books by him so I picked this, a decision I am never going to regret.

Wolf’s Hour tells us the story of Michael Galletine, a British spy, during the World War II. He has all the
Ritch
Feb 07, 2008 Ritch rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who start werewolf blogs, fans of high camp, perverts.
The fact that this book even exists is so great, I can barely even contain myself. My friend M. Sweeney Lawless passed it on to me when I was working on a screenplay based on my werewolf blog, and I fell in love, mainly with the huge balls it took the author to write this book.

From the Back Jacket: "He is Michael Gallatin, master spy, lover-and werewolf. Able to change shape with the lightning speed, to kill silently with savage, snarling fury, he proved his talents against Rommel in Africa. An
Dustin Manning
Feb 13, 2013 Dustin Manning rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: werewolf, WWII war stories, spy novel lovers
This is still to date one of my all time favorite novels. McCammon has written some great tales but this is one I can (and have) read over and over and over again. 007 meet the Wolf man; actually no... 007 IS the Wolf man. McCammon takes you back and forth between WWII espionage, personal vendetta, 007 spy action and werewolf Russian heritage. As much as i would love to read a sequel I don't want the fun of the original to be squandered. If you want a great werewolf novel or just an interesting ...more
Dec 13, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. It had a bit of everything and it is well written to boot. And it works. All of it. Yes even the werewolf part. Well done. I want more. I love the being in the present and then the flashbacks. They were some of my favorite chapters. Yes. Chapters of flashbacks. A complete second story. I am sure there are amazing reviews out there about this book. All I can say is that I can recommend it to anyone. Why is there not more??
Rob Schumann
Jan 30, 2008 Rob Schumann rated it it was amazing
I'll be reviewing more of Robert McCammon's books, but this is one of my favorites. Of course I can't get my wife to read it since she still judges the book by its cover and says, "I don't want to read a book with a werewolf on the cover howling at the moon." *sigh*

That being said, they really should change the cover art for this book, because it is NOT a cheezy werewolf novel at all. It's a fantastic journey thru the life of a man who indeed gets bitten by a wolf and then is taken into the pack
Daniel
Feb 02, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
The Good

Michael Gallatin is a werewolf who works for the allies during World War II. The top brass asks him to head deep behind enemy lines to make contact with a double agent so that he can retrieve information that will reveal Hitler's Super Secret Plan to overcome the grim economic consequences of running a military state and actually win the Second World War. Why does it all fall to this dapper, lycanthropic individual? Because he's the man for the job, dammit!

The Not-so-good

Ya got your pres
Algernon
Oct 19, 2011 Algernon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I could go even to [9/10] for the sheer amount of entertainment I got out the Michael Gallatin adventures and the skilled control of McCammon over the plot and the pacing of the narrative.
There are a lot of things done good in this high octane thriller and few to criticize. In true Indiana Jones style the hero goes from one rollercoater ride to another, from the sand dunes of El Alamein to the rooftop of the Paris Opera and from the rushing train on the Berlin outskirts to a desolate rocky islan
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Reviewer’s Note: This is a three and a half star book on the Hugh-Scale. It is possible that, at some level, I am seeking vengeance on McCammon because this book isn’t as good as “Swan Song.” Then again, not many books are. I rated Swan Song as a 5 and, in my opinion there is something special in that book. There are special parts of Wolf’s Hour, though I think, overall those parts do not add up to a higher rating. At any rate, 3.5 is a good score from me, and, there are certainly parts of this ...more
Nick
Sep 16, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wolf's Hour is my second McCammon book. The first read, The Night Boat was Nazi Zombies which I enjoyed and this book, which may be termed Nazi's and Werewolves was equally enjoyable.

McCammon is mentioned in the same breath as Stephen King and is an author I want to read more of (along with King).

There are two stories in this book. First, is how the main character became a werewolf and his experiences with his pack. Second, is the main character taking on the might of the Nazi's.

The Nazi sto
Carl Alves
Mar 18, 2012 Carl Alves rated it it was amazing
When I was in high school I wanted to write a story with a werewolf and my friend suggested I read this book. I had never heard of Robert McCammon before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. What I got was a book that I couldn’t put down. Wolf’ s Hour is much more than just a werewolf book, although just at that level, it’s a fantastic read.

Wolf’s Hour is as much a World War II novel who’s main character, Michael Gallatin is a British spy who also happens to be a werewolf. That in itself is a pretty
Bill
Dec 13, 2010 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
It takes a pretty good writer to pull this off:
Write an espionage tale about a British spy who is in a race against time to determine what secret the Germans have in mind to thwart the Allied Invasion of Europe. Now throw in the fact that he's a werewolf without making the whole thing sound stupid.

Yeah, it sounds really stupid, and the front cover of my paperback does nothing to dispel that.
But it really works! Of course, it helps if you're the type of reader who can suspend disbelief and just s
Jen
Nov 17, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will preface this by saying that I love Robert McCammon; I think he's a fantastic storyteller! I was trying to find another book of his to read and came across The Wolf's Hour b/c there was a Kindle edition. At first I thought the premise - a werewolf helps the Allies during WWII - was a bit cheesy, so I was hesitant to read it. However, after starting the book I read it in about three days and was quickly enraptured with the story. The characters are well developed and well written, and McCam ...more
David Church
May 09, 2014 David Church rated it it was amazing
Robert McCammon is such an amazing writer. Loved the Wolf’s Hour, a brilliant read. For me mixing horror, espionage, classic World War II, and adventure it is a win-win. Has that Brian Lumley Necroscope feel to it except with werewolves instead of Vampires. McCammon is such a vivid writer, he really sucks the reader into the atmosphere of the story I could almost smell the gun oil off of the weapons fired or the smell of pine in the forest when Michael was in his wolf form running through the wo ...more
Jon
Jul 13, 2014 Jon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Wolf’s Hour is, essentially, two stories. In fact, I’d go as far as to argue that this novel may well have started out as two completely separate ideas, before being forcibly merged together into its final form. I have absolutely no concrete evidence to support my (admittedly rather tenuous) claim, but at some point over the course of this review I’ll try to explain why I think this may be the case.

The principal plot thread sees our hero, Michael Gallatin (born and raised in Russia as Mikhai
Chris
Feb 01, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"What is the soul of a lycanthrope in the eyes of God?"

This is so much more than a werewolf story. We follow Michael Gallatin, the tortured protagonist of this wonderful novel, from his tragic and violent childhood to his coming of age in a band of werewolves and finally through his adventures as an uniquely skilled spy for the Allies in World War 2.

Part coming of age novel, part traditional horror story, part thrilling and atmospheric historical spy thriller---it excels at all three. I found th
Benjamin Thomas
Robert McCammon has always provided me with great entertainment and this time around was no exception. This is primarily a World War II spy novel wherein Michael Gallatin is on a mission to support the allied D-Day invasion by preventing a Nazi gas warfare scheme. It’s a clever plot filled with adrenaline-charged action at every turn. On its own, it would be a very nice thriller but the fact that Michael is also a werewolf makes this one a keeper.

In the hands of a lesser author I would be concer
Paul
Jan 07, 2011 Paul rated it liked it
Subterranean Press recently released a limited reprint of this book, which was originally published in 1989 by Grafton (Harper Collins). In honour of this, it deserves a re-read and a review as I am sure that there are a few people out there completely unaware of this gem.

It is a werewolf story completely unlike any other I have ever read and even 20 years after it was released is still a good read. Forget Underworld, forget The Howling, and definitely forget Twilight... this Lycanthrope is more
Cyn
Apr 22, 2011 Cyn rated it really liked it
Banner
Aug 09, 2014 Banner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Robert McCammon is a fantastic writer. He could make the information on the back of a cereal box entertaining! So when you have a plot line like a werewolf fighting Nazis you are in for a real treat.

Each segment of the story is a story and it keeps you engaged as you flow through the book. You may think you know what's going to happen and then, BAM! The fight scenes were so realistic I felt I was watching the whole thing on TV (well TV is as realistic as I get with fighting).

The plot may sound
Thomas
Nov 07, 2007 Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Ok, so it's a book about Michael Gallatin, a Russian werewolf super spy going after the Nazis just before D-Day. And do the ladies love his musky smell, and the way he eats his meat almost raw? Yes they do.

Been re-reading some of the over the top Robert McCammon novels I loved in the 80's. I'm having a blast doing it.

I hate when people call McCammon trash. What he is is pulp. Sure it is cheesy, but I always have the impression of a generous author who always tries to pull out all the stops to g
11811 (Eleven)
I was expecting this to be the best werewolf novel I would ever read because McCammon is such a fantastic writer but I was disappointed. The werewolf portions of the story were excellent and worthy of five stars but over half of the book was more of a spy novel and that's just not my thing. It may have been well done but I don't care for the James Bond stuff. Our protagonist was a little too perfect. I like my heroes flawed. Fatally so if possible.

This was still a good read; just not what I was
Glee
Sep 29, 2015 Glee rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I really enjoyed this book, but it was a bit too pulpy for me to give it 5 stars. Who doesn't enjoy werewolves tearing the shit out of Nazis? As politically correct as this world has become, you can still hate on Nazis guilt-free...

The more interesting question for me focused on the author. This same author wrote one of my favorite books (Boy's Life), in which I compared him to Ray Bradbury. That is as high as my praise can go. No pulp in that book. So. How does this happen? I don't have any an
Sachin Dev
Originally reviewed here: http://bit.ly/galrm

Shame on me that I've never read one of the greatest masters of speculative fiction - Robert McCammon. The Swan Song is perhaps his best known work - apparently rivaling The Stand (Stephen King - will always be the greatest storyteller ever for me!) as one of the best written post-apocalyptic literary works but The Wolf's Hour recounting the pulse-pounding harrowing adventures of a master-spy behind enemy lines during WW-II - who is also a werewolf -
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Information and Covers in Editions 2 16 Nov 10, 2014 11:59AM
Action/Adventure ...: October Group Read - Wolf's Hour 62 48 Nov 05, 2012 06:37PM
  • The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1)
  • Bestial
  • Wolf Hunt
  • The Wolfen
  • Moon Dance
  • The Mailman
  • Summer of Night
  • The Nightwalker
  • The Stake
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • High Moor
  • Bad Moon Rising (Pine Deep, #3)
  • The Light at the End
  • Death Trance
  • Midnight Sun
  • Wolf's Trap (Wolf Cycle, #1)
  • The Werewolf in Lore and Legend
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

A new contemporary novel, The Five, was published in May 2011 by Subterranean Press.

The fifth book in the Matthew Corbett historical fiction series is The River of Souls. It was published by Subterranean Press in trade, limited, and
More about Robert McCammon...

“If you make friends with pain, you have a friend for life.” 2 likes