Start by marking “The Wolf's Hour” as Want to Read:
The Wolf's Hour

The Wolf's Hour (Michael Gallatin #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  6,079 ratings  ·  217 reviews
This book is a remarkable tale of pulse-pounding excitement with a uniquely sympathetic, fascinating portrait of the werewolf as noble warrior-and conflicted being. Complex, compelling and utterly real.
Mass Market Paperback, 603 pages
Published August 15th 1990 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1989)

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
82nd out of 1,172 books — 3,686 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
101st out of 769 books — 1,076 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
Michael Gallatin is a master spy during World War II. He also happens to be a werewolf. He comes out of retirement for one last mission: to stop a secret Nazi operation called Iron Fist. Can Michael stop Iron Fist and retain his humanity?

The Wolf's Hour is what would happen if Captain America was a werewolf instead of a super-hero. Yes, I remember the atrocious CapWolf storyline from the 1990's. That doesn't count since it didn't happen during World War II.

Wolf's Hour tells two parallel stories:
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
What if one of the Allies' greatest spies during WWII was a werewolf?

The Wolf's Hour is the story of Michael Gallatin, born Mikhail Gallatinov. His journey is sprawling and meaty, full of intense moments, both emotional and physical. Although I am not sure this technically counts as an epic, it feels very epic to me. Because there is so much to see about how Michael goes from being a privileged eight-year-old during the bloody Russian Revolution to a thirty-four year old British Secret Service
Michael
This is probably my favorite of all the McCammon books. How can you go wrong with a werewolf master spy fighting against the Nazis? You can't.
Its just pure pulp fun. Some may consider it trash but they're just not enlightened.
Jonathan Janz
I’ve only read two McCammon books so far (SWAN SONG and THE WOLF’S HOUR), but I’ve come to a conclusion.

Robert McCammon doesn’t write novels. He writes masterpieces.

I expected that of SWAN SONG, since many folks place it up there with (and, in some minds, above) one of my favorite novels, Stephen King’s THE STAND. After reading SWAN SONG, I felt the praise was warranted. It’s a towering classic of our genre.

What I didn’t expect was for THE WOLF’S HOUR to rival the majesty of SWAN SONG.

THE WOLF’S
Manju
After reading the blurb of this book I am not sure what was I expecting from this book. I have not read a lot of World War and spy books, the only plus point of this book to me was that the lead of the book was a werewolf. I have read McCammon’s Boy’s Life which is one of my all time favorites, and I wanted to read more books by him so I picked this, a decision I am never going to regret.

Wolf’s Hour tells us the story of Michael Galletine, a British spy, during the World War II. He has all the
Dustin Manning
Feb 13, 2013 Dustin Manning rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: werewolf, WWII war stories, spy novel lovers
This is still to date one of my all time favorite novels. McCammon has written some great tales but this is one I can (and have) read over and over and over again. 007 meet the Wolf man; actually no... 007 IS the Wolf man. McCammon takes you back and forth between WWII espionage, personal vendetta, 007 spy action and werewolf Russian heritage. As much as i would love to read a sequel I don't want the fun of the original to be squandered. If you want a great werewolf novel or just an interesting ...more
Ritch
Feb 07, 2008 Ritch rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who start werewolf blogs, fans of high camp, perverts.
The fact that this book even exists is so great, I can barely even contain myself. My friend M. Sweeney Lawless passed it on to me when I was working on a screenplay based on my werewolf blog, and I fell in love, mainly with the huge balls it took the author to write this book.

From the Back Jacket: "He is Michael Gallatin, master spy, lover-and werewolf. Able to change shape with the lightning speed, to kill silently with savage, snarling fury, he proved his talents against Rommel in Africa. An
Rob Schumann
I'll be reviewing more of Robert McCammon's books, but this is one of my favorites. Of course I can't get my wife to read it since she still judges the book by its cover and says, "I don't want to read a book with a werewolf on the cover howling at the moon." *sigh*

That being said, they really should change the cover art for this book, because it is NOT a cheezy werewolf novel at all. It's a fantastic journey thru the life of a man who indeed gets bitten by a wolf and then is taken into the pack
Daniel
The Good

Michael Gallatin is a werewolf who works for the allies during World War II. The top brass asks him to head deep behind enemy lines to make contact with a double agent so that he can retrieve information that will reveal Hitler's Super Secret Plan to overcome the grim economic consequences of running a military state and actually win the Second World War. Why does it all fall to this dapper, lycanthropic individual? Because he's the man for the job, dammit!

The Not-so-good

Ya got your pres
Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper
Reviewer’s Note: This is a three and a half star book on the Hugh-Scale. It is possible that, at some level, I am seeking vengeance on McCammon because this book isn’t as good as “Swan Song.” Then again, not many books are. I rated Swan Song as a 5 and, in my opinion there is something special in that book. There are special parts of Wolf’s Hour, though I think, overall those parts do not add up to a higher rating. At any rate, 3.5 is a good score from me, and, there are certainly parts of this ...more
Carl Alves
When I was in high school I wanted to write a story with a werewolf and my friend suggested I read this book. I had never heard of Robert McCammon before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. What I got was a book that I couldn’t put down. Wolf’ s Hour is much more than just a werewolf book, although just at that level, it’s a fantastic read.

Wolf’s Hour is as much a World War II novel who’s main character, Michael Gallatin is a British spy who also happens to be a werewolf. That in itself is a pretty
Bill
Dec 13, 2010 Bill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
It takes a pretty good writer to pull this off:
Write an espionage tale about a British spy who is in a race against time to determine what secret the Germans have in mind to thwart the Allied Invasion of Europe. Now throw in the fact that he's a werewolf without making the whole thing sound stupid.

Yeah, it sounds really stupid, and the front cover of my paperback does nothing to dispel that.
But it really works! Of course, it helps if you're the type of reader who can suspend disbelief and just s
David Church
Robert McCammon is such an amazing writer. Loved the Wolf’s Hour, a brilliant read. For me mixing horror, espionage, classic World War II, and adventure it is a win-win. Has that Brian Lumley Necroscope feel to it except with werewolves instead of Vampires. McCammon is such a vivid writer, he really sucks the reader into the atmosphere of the story I could almost smell the gun oil off of the weapons fired or the smell of pine in the forest when Michael was in his wolf form running through the wo ...more
Jon
The Wolf’s Hour is, essentially, two stories. In fact, I’d go as far as to argue that this novel may well have started out as two completely separate ideas, before being forcibly merged together into its final form. I have absolutely no concrete evidence to support my (admittedly rather tenuous) claim, but at some point over the course of this review I’ll try to explain why I think this may be the case.

The principal plot thread sees our hero, Michael Gallatin (born and raised in Russia as Mikhai
Jen
I will preface this by saying that I love Robert McCammon; I think he's a fantastic storyteller! I was trying to find another book of his to read and came across The Wolf's Hour b/c there was a Kindle edition. At first I thought the premise - a werewolf helps the Allies during WWII - was a bit cheesy, so I was hesitant to read it. However, after starting the book I read it in about three days and was quickly enraptured with the story. The characters are well developed and well written, and McCam ...more
Banner
Robert McCammon is a fantastic writer. He could make the information on the back of a cereal box entertaining! So when you have a plot line like a werewolf fighting Nazis you are in for a real treat.

Each segment of the story is a story and it keeps you engaged as you flow through the book. You may think you know what's going to happen and then, BAM! The fight scenes were so realistic I felt I was watching the whole thing on TV (well TV is as realistic as I get with fighting).

The plot may sound
Algernon
I could go even to [9/10] for the sheer amount of entertainment I got out the Michael Gallatin adventures and the skilled control of McCammon over the plot and the pacing of the narrative.
There are a lot of things done good in this high octane thriller and few to criticize. In true Indiana Jones style the hero goes from one rollercoater ride to another, from the sand dunes of El Alamein to the rooftop of the Paris Opera and from the rushing train on the Berlin outskirts to a desolate rocky islan
Chris
"What is the soul of a lycanthrope in the eyes of God?"

This is so much more than a werewolf story. We follow Michael Gallatin, the tortured protagonist of this wonderful novel, from his tragic and violent childhood to his coming of age in a band of werewolves and finally through his adventures as an uniquely skilled spy for the Allies in World War 2.

Part coming of age novel, part traditional horror story, part thrilling and atmospheric historical spy thriller---it excels at all three. I found th
Paul
Subterranean Press recently released a limited reprint of this book, which was originally published in 1989 by Grafton (Harper Collins). In honour of this, it deserves a re-read and a review as I am sure that there are a few people out there completely unaware of this gem.

It is a werewolf story completely unlike any other I have ever read and even 20 years after it was released is still a good read. Forget Underworld, forget The Howling, and definitely forget Twilight... this Lycanthrope is more
Cyn
Thomas
Ok, so it's a book about Michael Gallatin, a Russian werewolf super spy going after the Nazis just before D-Day. And do the ladies love his musky smell, and the way he eats his meat almost raw? Yes they do.

Been re-reading some of the over the top Robert McCammon novels I loved in the 80's. I'm having a blast doing it.

I hate when people call McCammon trash. What he is is pulp. Sure it is cheesy, but I always have the impression of a generous author who always tries to pull out all the stops to g
Rob Donovan
“Wolf’s Hour” is essentially two stories in one. The first follows the exploits of Michael Gallatin in the present day (in this instance the present day is set during the Second World War). The other story concerns itself with Michael Gallatinov as a child and how he came to be a lycanthrope.

It goes without saying that both stories are great. Mostly they are kept completely separate up until the younger Michael accepts who he is and the path set out for him in life.

The story of Michael’s turn
Natasha Duncan-Drake
Sep 12, 2011 Natasha Duncan-Drake rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes spy books and/or werewolves
Shelves: favourite-books
I love this book. It is full of action and the characters are great and it has werewolves and Nazis; what more could you want. This is the third time I have read it and it was just as good as the first.

I know some people do not like flashbacks, but this book had flashback sections which are put beautifully in line with the main story in the era of the D-Day landings. Hence we are given plenty of action and plenty of history as well so Michael (the lead character) has much greater depth.

There are
Cait
You know how sometimes you read a book and you can just tell that it's being written to a specific genre even if you don't know what genre conventions it's actually answering? Well, this book is clearly a Manly Adventure Story of a sort which is unfamiliar to me. Since the first time I read this I've tried to get into several of the author's other novels and just sort of rebounded off the genre.

Why do I enjoy this one, then? I think it's the concept, and I think you'll agree it's a doozy: Werewo
Marvin
Werewolf vs. Nazis! Robert McCammon may not be the best or most original of horror writers but he certainly knows how to write an good action-adventure novel. I haven't kept up with his more recent writings, but The Wolf's Novel is certainly the best of his earlier works. It's a good combination of a World War II espionage story and werewolf tale. I especially like the portion of the novel that dealt with Michael Gallatin's origins as a werewolf and the attachments he had with his adopted lycant ...more
Karen Patterson
This author has quite the imagination! It had a little something for everyone: mythology, sex, adventure, action, history. Kind of a cross between Wolverine, James Bond and Inglorious Bastards. I've never read anything quite like and enjoyed it immensely. It's very fast-paced with a hero you love who is British spy/werewolf/ladies man during Hilter's reign. It actually has a story within a story as throughout the book it goes back in time to explain how he became a werewolf and the life he had b ...more
11811 (Eleven)
I was expecting this to be the best werewolf novel I would ever read because McCammon is such a fantastic writer but I was disappointed. The werewolf portions of the story were excellent and worthy of five stars but over half of the book was more of a spy novel and that's just not my thing. It may have been well done but I don't care for the James Bond stuff. Our protagonist was a little too perfect. I like my heroes flawed. Fatally so if possible.

This was still a good read; just not what I was
Ulla
Homo homini lupus. Michael Gallatin has lived through the brutal survival struggle of a werewolf pack in the forests of Russia, has been hunted as a monster, tormented by the question whether he, as a werewolf, is a man or a beast - but his journey through the horrors of WWII reveals the truth: it is the humans who are the beasts.

This book has everything: wonderfully built tension, plenty of action, a bit of romance. Contemplation, courage, characters you care about. History, humour, heroism and
Sachin Dev
Originally reviewed here: http://bit.ly/galrm

Shame on me that I've never read one of the greatest masters of speculative fiction - Robert McCammon. The Swan Song is perhaps his best known work - apparently rivaling The Stand (Stephen King - will always be the greatest storyteller ever for me!) as one of the best written post-apocalyptic literary works but The Wolf's Hour recounting the pulse-pounding harrowing adventures of a master-spy behind enemy lines during WW-II - who is also a werewolf -
William
Exciting book and an enjoyable read. I have a hard time classifying it as horror though. Even though it has a werewolf in it I would call it a mix of espionage and supernatural animal documentary.

I have some unanswered questions:

What happened to Petyr?
How did Michael make the transition from wolfpack to British commando?
Were there anymore werewolves out there?
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Information and Covers in Editions 2 15 Nov 10, 2014 11:59AM
Action/Adventure ...: October Group Read - Wolf's Hour 62 46 Nov 05, 2012 06:37PM
  • Ravenous
  • The Store
  • Wolf Hunt
  • Children of the Night
  • The Light at the End
  • Bad Moon Rising (Pine Deep, #3)
  • Moon Dance
  • Wild Blood
  • Midnight Sun
  • Mirror
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

A new contemporary novel, The Five, was published in May 2011 by Subterranean Press.

The Hunter from the Woods, a collection of novellas and stories featuring Michael Gallatin, the main character from The Wolf's Hour, was published as
More about Robert McCammon...
Swan Song Boy's Life They Thirst Mine Speaks the Nightbird (Matthew Corbett, #1)

“If you make friends with pain, you have a friend for life.” 1 likes