Hesitation Kills

Hesitation Kills

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This riveting memoir is the first book written by a female Marine about the war in Iraq and one of the only books written by a woman who has experienced combat firsthand. Deploying to Iraq in 2003, Jane Blair's aerial reconnaissance unit was assigned to travel ahead of and alongside combat units throughout the initial phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Throughout her deploy...more
Published June 16th 2011 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Hesitation Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hesitation Kills

Mike
It was interesting to read this firsthand field officer view of the war immediately after reading Tommy Frank's high level war strategy biography. Unlike Franks' bio, I had difficulty putting this book down. The author was rarely self-serving - something I can't quite say about Franks.

My favorite part (p.18): "I joined the Corps because I recognized that I was weak and that my life to date had consisted of nothing more than an effort to make myself comfortable and as safe as possible. I wanted t...more
Kate Armstrong
I have not read other book by the author, but I will be after reading this one. This was an incredibly well written book. The setting was well created through genuine individuals during the war, flashback was perfectly presented with no leaps, the dialogs were very convincing, You're wondering how could this all work.

I must say, I found it fascinating, very revealing, exciting and very readable.

This book shows another vision of the war in Iraq, just as decisive, the memories and internal feelin...more
Xandretta
I really, really enjoyed this book. Well, as much as one can "enjoy" a book about combat. Jane's voice is clear and provides amazing insight into military life as an officer, a woman, and most importantly, as a Marine. Well paced and engaging throughout. One of the best military narratives I've read on the impact of modern war.

Also I totally teared up - not going to lie - when reading her husbands correspondence. Better than a romance novel.
Chris Wolak
I made it just past page 100 and stopped reading. Don't know if its just my mood, the fact that one of my friends just deployed to Afghanistan, or that there are multiple snipes against fat, lazy, uncaring Americans, but I lost interest. As a woman who served in the Marines, I was really looking forward to this book. Perhaps I'll give it a try again in the future.
Bethanie Simms
Really insightful and helpful account of a female Marine Corps lieutenant through training and OEF I. The account is well written an honest. It is a must real for any new female 2nd Lt. She is also prior enlisted so she brings a lot of knowledge and insight as to what it's like to be a female in the USMC.
Devin
This was an adventurous tale of a female Marine Second Lieutenant's combat experience in Iraq. It definitely had some good stories, but at other times read like a military manual. Overall, a good read for getting a sense of how it is for a female Marine in Iraq.
Matthew
Nice fluid narrative but it ended right when it was about to get interesting. Specifically how the author was able to adjust to noncombat life as well as when she returns to her husband.
Gwen
Source: Jezebel, Should Women Serve in Special Forces?
Library: NTR
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Jenny Miles
Jenny Miles marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Lauralea
Lauralea marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Isabella Smith
Isabella Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Ajgookins
Ajgookins marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Ann
Ann is currently reading it
May 23, 2014
Ayshaw
Ayshaw marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Mayer
Mayer marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Oscar
Oscar marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Tristan Spill
Tristan Spill marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Abbas alabbas
Abbas alabbas marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014