Start by marking “Hesitation Kills” as Want to Read:
Hesitation Kills

Hesitation Kills

This riveting memoir is the first book written by a female Marine about the war in Iraq and one of the only books written by a woman who has experienced combat firsthand. Deploying to Iraq in 2003, Jane Blair's aerial reconnaissance unit was assigned to travel ahead of and alongside combat units throughout the initial phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Throughout her deploy ...more
Published June 16th 2011 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Hesitation Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hesitation Kills

Feb 20, 2017 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always good to explore different perspectives, and this book certainly made me think about the different life paths we all take. The author isn't that much older than me, and it was particularly cutting to think back to watching the TV broadcasts of the events she lived through, safe in the quiet darkness of my college dorm lounge towards the end of spring break. The book is a solid window into what transpired and adds a lot of context to the news reports I heard at the time, and events tha ...more
Mike
Sep 11, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
It was interesting to read this firsthand field officer view of the war immediately after reading Tommy Frank's high level war strategy biography. Unlike Franks' bio, I had difficulty putting this book down. The author was rarely self-serving - something I can't quite say about Franks.

My favorite part (p.18): "I joined the Corps because I recognized that I was weak and that my life to date had consisted of nothing more than an effort to make myself comfortable and as safe as possible. I wanted t
Kate Armstrong
Aug 24, 2011 Kate Armstrong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read other book by the author, but I will be after reading this one. This was an incredibly well written book. The setting was well created through genuine individuals during the war, flashback was perfectly presented with no leaps, the dialogs were very convincing, You're wondering how could this all work.

I must say, I found it fascinating, very revealing, exciting and very readable.

This book shows another vision of the war in Iraq, just as decisive, the memories and internal feelin
Mare Grohowski
I like Blair's style and professionalism. As an officer in the marines and deploying during the initial phase of OIF, she discusses her combat experiences without "hype." In fact, there's very little emotion in her writing, which enhances her credibility as a Marine Corps officer.

The relationships she focuses on are those with herself and her particular duties. The unit with which she deployed traveled throughout Iraq, which she chronicles.

A very important contribution to illustrating the init
Xandretta
Aug 17, 2011 Xandretta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. Well, as much as one can "enjoy" a book about combat. Jane's voice is clear and provides amazing insight into military life as an officer, a woman, and most importantly, as a Marine. Well paced and engaging throughout. One of the best military narratives I've read on the impact of modern war.

Also I totally teared up - not going to lie - when reading her husbands correspondence. Better than a romance novel.
Chris Wolak
I made it just past page 100 and stopped reading. Don't know if its just my mood, the fact that one of my friends just deployed to Afghanistan, or that there are multiple snipes against fat, lazy, uncaring Americans, but I lost interest. As a woman who served in the Marines, I was really looking forward to this book. Perhaps I'll give it a try again in the future.
Bethanie Simms
Really insightful and helpful account of a female Marine Corps lieutenant through training and OEF I. The account is well written an honest. It is a must real for any new female 2nd Lt. She is also prior enlisted so she brings a lot of knowledge and insight as to what it's like to be a female in the USMC.
Devin
Jun 30, 2012 Devin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-books
This was an adventurous tale of a female Marine Second Lieutenant's combat experience in Iraq. It definitely had some good stories, but at other times read like a military manual. Overall, a good read for getting a sense of how it is for a female Marine in Iraq.
Johns
Apr 12, 2016 Johns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling story and a quick read. Don't mess with this Marine officer -- she's an inspiration and a role model for all of us!
Matthew
Nice fluid narrative but it ended right when it was about to get interesting. Specifically how the author was able to adjust to noncombat life as well as when she returns to her husband.
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Kathy Vautour
Kathy Vautour rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Rena
Rena rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
May 19, 2012
Ashley Kirkpatrick
Ashley Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Brendan
Brendan rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2014
Rafael
Rafael rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Landon
Landon rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Gene
Gene rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
D. Tepfer
D. Tepfer rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Erin Alderson
Erin Alderson rated it it was ok
May 17, 2015
Hanah
Hanah rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Sonia Santamaría
Sonia Santamaría rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
kathleen
kathleen rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016