Start by marking “Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers” as Want to Read:
Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers

Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers

Here is the perfect little book for anyone—teenage or otherwise—who has ever wanted to master the art of good table manners. Written by Walter Hoving, former chairman of Tiffany's of New York, it is a step-by-step introduction to all the basics, from the moment the meal begins ("It is customary for the young man to help the young lady on his right to be seated") to the tim ...more
Published August 9th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published November 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers

BAYA Librarian
Walter Hoving, founder of Tiffany & Co, wrote a book of table manners after having lunch with his teenaged grandson in the 1960s. Rereleased for the 50th anniversary, this slim volume contains advice for each course of a meal as well as the usual stuff we learn from our parents: don't slouch, don't chew with your mouth full, and put that napkin on your lap.

This is not a good fit for urban public libraries. It is a rare modern teen who sits down for a five-course formal meal that requires kno
Kiran
Feb 08, 2012 Kiran rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Short, concise and to the point which is good if the purpose of the book is to explain table manners to teens. However, while the ink line drawings used to illustrate the "do's" and "don'ts" are interesting to look at they fail at clearly demonstrating hand positions for using utensils. Photographs would be better suited to teach or demonstrate which utensils to use and how to use them.
Madkropotkin
Jan 18, 2011 Madkropotkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for my daughter when she was 4. Since I gave my son "50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know" when I came back from a business trip, she was upset that she did not get anything, she is 7 now. So I looked everywhere for this book and handed it to her. Boy am I happy I did, this book is magnificent, It is fun, witty and most importantly informative. I now know certain things about table manners I did not know before. I shall implement these tips from now on and hopefully, af ...more
Laren
Sep 14, 2010 Laren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please! Adults need to read this! And yes, all you guys sitting next to someone as you crack your knuckles, crack gum, tap your feet, listen to bad sounds (and make weird primal sounds) that overflow your cheap ear buds and please...don't chew with your rude mouth open. And P.S. gum is never acceptable.
Julia
Jul 24, 2016 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny
Gina
Aug 24, 2007 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by chairman of Tiffany's. Yes, the store with all the fancy jewelry... People have it that this book was written after he had witnessed his grandson's poor table habits and thought he should write a book for adolescents on table manners. It's an easy read and the illustrations ar really cute! In fact, being in my late 20's it was a good refresher on how I should exercise my habits on a fancy dinner. The only thing I had an issue was on some illustrations showing you what no ...more
Christianne
Draft BAYA review

Walter Hoving, founder of Tiffany & Co, wrote a book of table manners after having lunch with with teenaged grandson in the 1960s. Rereleased for the 50th anniversary, this slim volume contains advice for each course of a meal as well as the usual stuff we learn from our parents: don't slouch, don't chew with your mouth full, and put that napkin on your lap.

Mary Fons
Feb 23, 2008 Mary Fons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely anyone who has the occasion to eat in public.
This book is an invaluable resource if you value decorum. If you have the occasion to eat in beautiful restaurants, I recommend valuing decorum.

Presented with fabulous ink drawings and witty writing, Tiffany's Book of Table Manners is brilliant because it touts common sense and simplicity as being the reason behind good manners. A fish knife doesn't exist to be stuffy or to confuse people. A fish knife exists because it helps bone fish. If you know how to use it, your dinner will be more pleasan
Minna
Hilarious! The titular "Tiffany", btw, referrs to Tiffany & Co., not a girl named Tiffany.
The illustrations are entertaining, and the advice (while dated) could still be useful if you were eating in a highbrow establishment. Too bad Julia Roberts' character in Pretty Woman didn't have this guide. Primarily I found this book entertaining because while technically correct, today's eaters follow approximately 1% of these rules. I am pretty sure my husband regularly breaks every single one. :-)
R
Jun 01, 2016 R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers by: Walter Hoving is a step by step manner's book for teens. I loved this book because it was recommended to me by my Mom and I really liked how they explained etiquette. I would recommend this book to people age 12-21 because it help's people understand manners. This book is written for boys and girls and is very helpful for teenagers going to dinner party's and dinner with there family. I would recommend this book to all my friends.
Arid
May 23, 2012 Arid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! I am very into fashion and I found this book from Tiffany's! It is a guide for teenagers to use good manners when they eat. It has different chapters for each course of dinner for example they have (appetizer, fish, meat, entree etc.) This book actually taught me to eat so much better than I have been! I used how to place my silverware right, the exact way to cut and eat my food, and so much more! I recommend this book to all teenagers!
Ashraks
The book is very short and to the point on dining etiquette. The sketches while helpful, are sometimes vague to the point I couldn't see the depictions. One crucial aspect this book missed is a briefing on the layout of dinnerware and cutlery in a fine dining setting. For this reason, I give it 3 stars.
Gauri
Nov 21, 2016 Gauri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in elementary school, and felt so pressured to assimilate into a culture different from my parents' that I had anxiety about eating outside. I had an immense amount of concentration placed on using my fork and knife to section whatever I was eating into one piece every bite.
Good information, though. Recommend it, however old-fashioned some of it may be.
Kelly Burroughs
Jun 21, 2016 Kelly Burroughs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard about this from the Documentary Tiffanys (it's was much more than bragging about diamonds) and it was published in the 1960's republished in the 1980's. It was a fun short read with a vintage feel. Cute whimsical drawings and some quirky lessons on table etiquette. I throughly enjoyed!
Wsclai
Nov 14, 2016 Wsclai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been published for decades but the advice on table manners are still current. The illustrations may not be very clear but the text helps. I like the interesting figurative language used. It makes the advice much more vivid.
Jan 28, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who own fish forks and don't know what they are
Shelves: nonfiction, in-my-day
During the dessert course:

"Do not leave the doily (if any) on your plate by mistake. It is not supposed to be eaten with your ice cream. This would alarm your hostess unduly." (page 63)

So that's why no one invites me to ice cream socials anymore...
Natalie
Aug 22, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packed with all you need to know in the simplest words and pictures. Brilliant.
Aileen
Sep 26, 2011 Aileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this for my daughters. A must read for every child... Believe me!!!
Jeff
My Grandfather had this thing where he wouldn't correct your table manners, he would just send you this book if he ever thought you merited it (I only got it once).
Kenn Speicher
Jul 06, 2012 Kenn Speicher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got my kid into college. 5 stars for sure.
Jenyoseph
Sep 11, 2012 Jenyoseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this.
Elizabeth
Jul 08, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, nonfiction
Bite-sized table manner guidelines for all ages.
Beck
Feb 19, 2012 Beck rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A short, humorous and creative how to for table manners.
Sara
Jul 29, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Hahaha. This book was great. All my girls have read it. Funny drawings...however, I still don't know which is the fish fork.
Lisa Urso
Very brief, concise, and to the point. I found the drawings to be a little crude and somewhat confusing, but this is a guide that all teens should read these days.
Lydia Ingram
Jan 25, 2014 Lydia Ingram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful little book. I learned and I laughed, and that is an excellent combination.
Cameron
Feb 22, 2009 Cameron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WHO LIKES MANNERS? LOL, my stepbrother was supposed to read this but I got instead. What kind of boy would have a Tiffany's book?
Jess
Apr 13, 2011 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: eh.
Recommended to Jess by: popped up in three or four places as awesome
Don't ______.

I suppose it could be seen as droll, but to me it's a collection of don'ts supported by ink illustrations.
Sam
Love this quick reference guide to manners. Sometimes you just need a refresher. And, although it is easy enough for a teen to understand, it is great for all ages.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
  • Manners
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of
  • Dude, That's Rude! (Get Some Manners)
  • The Encyclopedia of Immaturity: Volume 2
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • Girls on the Verge: Debutante Dips, Drive-bys, and Other Initiations
  • 1001 Things Every Teen Should Know Before They Leave Home: (Or Else They'll Come Back)
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • Life as It Comes
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Money: How to Make It, Save It, And Spend It
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Rich Dad's Escape from the Rat Race: How to Become a Rich Kid by Following Rich Dad's Advice
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America
  • Alligator Bayou