Start by marking “Lost” as Want to Read:
Lost

Lost

Late September, 1995. Cathy and her family are waiting for her youngest brother to call them on his birthday. For years it has been a family tradition that no matter where in the world David might be--from Australia to China to England--he will call on his birthday. The day passes and by evening there has been no call. Could he have forgotten?

A month before, David and his
Published September 1st 2011 by Scirocco Drama (first published May 30th 2008)

Mr C
Jan 05, 2011 Mr C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well written account of the author's loss of her brother at sea. It is at once an account of what it means to lose a loved one under unclear circumstances. (How did her brother and his girlfriend die? Where? Why?) More than that, it is a journey inside herself, her family, her memories and her very identity. It is clear that the loss is life changing. This is not my usual read but it is exceptional, lyrical writing.
Ron
Ostlere writes about the year following the disappearance of her brother and his girlfriend during what was supposed to be a routine, ten-day sailing trip from Ireland to Madeira. It's not so much about any rescue attempt, although she does visit both their destination and the starting point, but about coming to terms with the grief and the strain David's near-certain death places on the remaining family relationships.
Mel
Dec 27, 2010 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally read a description of the play theater Calgary was performing and added this book to my to-read list. So glad I did.
Ryan Murdock
In September 1995 the Cathy Ostlere' brother David sets out with his girlfriend in a twenty-eight foot sailboat to cross the 1,200 empty ocean miles between Ireland and Madeira, telling only Cathy in order to protect their parents from worry. More than two months pass with no contact. When a family tradition is missed, David’s sister suddenly realizes that they are lost.

The narrative begins with those first few days of waiting for a phone call that never came. It tracks back and forth through t
Cathy
Feb 05, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cathy-s-books
For anyone who has lost a loved sibling, this book will resonate with the story of a brother and sister who change each other’s lives. LOST will also appeal to the reader whose interest in true adventure stories includes the examination of what it means to be passionate, alive, and committed to one’s dreams.

I am the author Cathy Ostlere. For information on the book or to contact me please visit cathy-ostlere.com.
Elaine
Jun 02, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunting. Evocative. A testimony to the bonds between sister and brother; loss and grief; following one's dreams.
Jane Harris
Jun 05, 2011 Jane Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can pick this book up on any page and be inspired by its poetic style. A human journey, beautifully written. Best savoured and sipped in small bits, I prefer it to Elizabeth Gilbert's books.
Alphagrey
Jul 19, 2014 Alphagrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written.

It makes one think of the fact that there will be mysteries that may never be solved-no matter the importance.
Jake
Jake rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2014
Kathy-Diane
Kathy-Diane rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2011
Erin Vance
Erin Vance rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2012
Jef
Jef rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Joooooozilla
Joooooozilla rated it did not like it
May 03, 2014
Candis
Candis rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Brook-lyn
Brook-lyn rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2015
M.
M. rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Jacky
Jacky rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2009
Janice Parker
Janice Parker rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Mojobee
Mojobee rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2011
Teri Lub
Teri Lub rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Carleen Kay
Carleen Kay rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Susan Valentine
Susan Valentine rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Vicki H
Vicki H rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Karene
Karene rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2011
Jen
Jen rated it it was ok
May 13, 2011
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Jael Richardson
Oct 24, 2012 Jael Richardson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the structure and approach to the story.
Cathy Ostlere’s second book, KARMA, a novel-in-verse, grew from her travels through India in 1984, the year Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards. KARMA's story of two teenagers who fall in love while fighting to stay alive is a moving and turbulent narrative based on real historical events. Cathy's first book, LOST: A MEMOIR, began as a series of poems and essays. I ...more
More about Cathy Ostlere...

“Women can go mad with insomnia.
The sleep-deprived roam houses that have lost their familiarity. With tea mugs in hand, we wander rooms, looking on shelves for something we will recognize: a book title, a photograph, the teak-carved bird -- a souvenir from what place? A memory almost rises when our eyes rest on a painting's grey sweep of cloud, or the curve of a wooden leg in a corner. Fingertips faintly recall the raised pattern on a chair cushion, but we wonder how these things have come to be here, in this stranger's home.
Lost women drift in places where time has collapsed. We look into our thoughts and hearts for what has been forgotten, for what has gone missing. What did we once care about? Whom did we love? We are emptied. We are remote. Like night lilies, we open in the dark, breathe in the shadowy world. Our soliloquies are heard by no one.”
31 likes
“Listen, Miss, boats are supposed to float. Even if they break up, they usually still float and show up on a shore somewhere. There have been no reports of wreckage or abandoned boats. At this point, no news is still good news. Don't worry. It's too early to worry.” 2 likes