Start by marking “101 Best Scenes Ever Written: A Romp Through Literature for Writers and Readers” as Want to Read:
101 Best Scenes Ever Written: A Romp Through Literature for Writers and Readers

101 Best Scenes Ever Written: A Romp Through Literature for Writers and Readers

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Readers will delight at the best scenes ever written. They will find old favorites and savor scenes new to them. With each scene, Barnaby Conrad provides insights as to what the author wishes to accomplish with this passage and the literary devices he or she employs. Any avid reader will enjoy Conrad’s 101 Best Scenes Ever Written, but countless fledgling and established w...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Linden Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 101 Best Scenes Ever Written, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Best Scenes Ever Written

Kerry
I really enjoyed this. It was perfect for somebody that is trying to make up for almost 2 decades of not reading much. Also, for someone that is working on their writing skills. I found myself engrossed in the synopsis's and Conrad did an excellent job of leading the reader into the scene and back out of. It read smoothly.
Matt Evans
This book is exactly what it purports to be: "a romp" through literature and Hollywood, a culling from the herd of 101 of the best scenes ever written. Mr. Conrad, a best-selling author who also used to professionally wave capes at riled-up bulls (until forced by a "bad goring" to retire from the sport), makes good on his promise. Scene after scene flits by without any but the barest verbal stitching on Conrad's part. The author's picture shows Conrad scowling scholarly at the camera, standing n...more
Andrea Blythe
Conrad selects favorite scenes from literature, theater, and film, groups them into categories, and analyzes them in order to help writers and readers understand why they are great. Its mainly presented to writers as a way to show how great scenes manage the trick of making you fall in love with a story, so that they can learn to do it themselves.

As with any list that declaims "Best" in its title, there are always scenes that are left out. However, I found the scenes selected to be worth reading...more
Zea Miller
At a bookstore, I was having difficulty picking a new novel to read. The clerk recommended this one as a way of inspiring a future choice. It certainly worked. The book isn’t just compiled scenes; we are given a history and writing lessons. Aside from exposing you to fantastic writing, Conrad gives us intriguing anecdotes, otherwise unknown from a linear reading of the texts mentioned.
Cathy Hall
I got this book for my son, who's interested in screen-writing. But then I ended up reading the whole book myself because a. writing is made up of scenes (and there were some great ones in this book) and b. I knew all the movies and books the author referenced. So, that made it all the more interesting.
Katie
Mostly familiar scenes from popular novels, plays and films, but a fun way to revisit a wide range of great writing. Also like that the chapters are delineated by genre (horror, comedy, etc.) - could be useful as a reference for inspiration in future writing.
Michael Wallace
Some interesting material here. I wish Conrad had spent a little more time dissecting why the scenes were so good. As an overview it is good. As a writing guide it is a little thin.
Donald
Jul 30, 2008 Donald rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in film
Recommended to Donald by: Barnaby Conrad, the author
Having seen most of the films, it was a pleasure to revisit them. Entertaining.
Sandra
Mar 11, 2009 Sandra added it
Phenomenal book. Wish I had read it years ago.
Clive
Clive marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Jul 22, 2014
Faizmalhi
Faizmalhi marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Feb 02, 2014
Lydia Loveless
Lydia Loveless marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Martha
Martha added it
Oct 25, 2013
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Ruth
Ruth added it
Sep 10, 2013
Gloria
Gloria added it
Apr 17, 2013
Alex Schenker
Alex Schenker marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Wkwv
Wkwv marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life Matador The Complete Guide to Writing Fiction The Death of Manolete The Second Life of John Wilkes Booth