Start by marking “Why Didn't You Come for Me?” as Want to Read:
Why Didn't You Come for Me?

Why Didn't You Come for Me?

Sometimes Jo still wakes up suddenly, thinking she can hear Lauren's cry. Although twelve years have passed since her baby daughter was abducted, photos of the child continue to arrive by post with the words I still have her scrawled on the back. The police think it's a hoax, but Jo has always believed them to be genuine—and until there is some hard evidence to the contrar ...more
Published May 17th 2011 by Soho Constable (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Why Didn't You Come for Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Didn't You Come for Me?

Serena.. Sery-ously?
Aug 15, 2015 Serena.. Sery-ously? rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, eng_2015
I didn't see it coming!

Io AMO i romanzi in cui non sai mai se puoi fidarti della protagonista principale, se sia lei pazza, se la realtà che presenta sia distorta o se è il mondo ad essere tutto ad un tratto impazzito.. Questo romanzo, da questo punto di vista, mi ha soddisfatto a pieno!! Fino alla fine ho cambiato la mia visione delle cose mille volte, ho creduto a Jo, l'ho ritenuta una pazza, mi sono arrabbiata con gli altri pwrsonaggi.. Super!
Avrei dato un po' più di spazio alla parte finale
Lynda Kelly
Nov 25, 2013 Lynda Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
Very cheesed off by this. The same reason as a book I recently read by Peter James-the American spellings !! WHY are British authors doing it ? I expect Americanisms in most books I read as they're usually written by Americans and based in the USA but NOT in books based over here. I counted over 50 because the author spelt every word that could be with a z instead of an s. (Specialize/idealized/empathize/realized, etc) and also talked about putting her foot on the gas.
Thne a woman's husband's na
Rossy
Apr 20, 2015 Rossy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to skip entire paragraphs because they lacked the action I wanted, too much description I guess.
And the ending left me like:
Miles
Jun 05, 2011 Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Sometimes Jo still wakes suddenly, thinking she can hear Lauren’s cry. Although twelve years have passed since her baby daughter was abducted, photos of the child continue to arrive by post with the words, I Still Have Her, scrawled across the back. The police think it’s the work of a hoaxer but Jo has always believed them to be genuine – and until there is some hard evidence to the contrary, she will always hold on to the belief that Lauren is still alive. But if the pictures really do come fro ...more
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 Lizzie Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Why Don’t You Come For Me’ by Diane Janes
Published by Robinson, 24 March 2011. ISBN: 978-1-84901-596-7

Although now settled and happy with her new husband Marcus, Jo is still haunted by the abduction of her baby daughter Lauren, nine years ago..

Jo and Marcus now live in Cumbria. Together they founded M H Tours, which has proved incredible successful, so much so that they have recently merged with another tour company. The result of the merger is that there is now a third director – Melissa. Orig
Jan 24, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Diane Janes' first novel 'The Pull of the Moon' last year and really enjoyed it so was really looking forward to this one too.
I have most definitely now found another favourite author - her first was great but 'Why Don't You Come For Me' is really outstanding. One of those books that you really don't want to put down as each page reveals another twist and turn in the tale.
The story is so intriguing with the main character Jo becoming more and more desperate and unhinged in each chapter. H
Cleo Bannister
Jun 15, 2014 Cleo Bannister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Jo suffered every mother's nightmare, her year old daughter Lauren was abducted during a holiday in Devon, her empty pushchair found hanging, empty over a cliff edge but no sign of Lauren.

This book is set years later when Lauren would have been twelve, Jo has recovered enough to build a business with her second husband Marcus and lives in a remote hamlet in the Lake District. Jo receives a postcard with the message 'I still have her' printed on the back, slowly, with the police voicing their sus
Ann
Jan 07, 2012 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this psychological thriller a pretty compulsive read and finished it within a day. Set in the Lake District the story centres on Jo who, about 10 years previously, had her baby daughter Lauren abducted. Since then she has remarried and moved on. She and her second husband run a successful theme holiday business. However periodically she receives postcards that convince her Lauren is still alive. These and an unsympathetic stepson, a former school mate with a grudge and suspicion that hus ...more
Maggie James
This book was something of a disappointment for me. The story was interesting enough, but a few things marred it for me. At certain points in the narrative, the point of view would switch, even though there was no change of scene/chapter. I found the effect jarring. Also, when writing from the POV of the children in the book, the author dumbs down her prose, as if narrating from a child's POV. This results in somewhat amateurish writing, in my view; I don't think it's a writing technique that wo ...more
Read Kirklees
From Dewsbury Library Readers Group - Score = 4.5

Most of the group really enjoyed this book, would thoroughly recommend it and read another by the same author! The setting in the Lake District is lovely and well described. Flashbacks are used to develop the story and add to the sense of mystery. The unravelling of the main character’s life is portrayed well and very convincingly. The only contentious issue is the ending. It completely took me by surprise and although it was obvious there would b
Lin
Sep 03, 2011 Lin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I did enjoy this book and found it hard to put down, I felt the plot was not as tight as I would like - there seemed to be long sections of story which felt shoehorned in to advance the plot in a very small way. It was interesting to see how the shift of viewpoint helped to develop the character of Jo by seeing how others saw her as well as she saw herself, and the main mystery of the book kept me reading, as well as the lake district setting, which is a place I've visited often (the ol ...more
June
I whizzed through this story of an unresolved kidnapping because I thought I pretty much knew what was coming, and wanted to see how it unfolded. I got all the way to the last couple of pages only to be surprised and shout (to myself)..Noooooo...that's not how I wanted things to go..! enjoyed it...
Mary
Sep 06, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was amazing i loved every minute of it and was gripped right to the end. i loved how the story emerged although i had worked it out about half way through. so did not expect that ending though and i for one will be watching out for more by this author loved it
May 17, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this one and have to say I was absolutely blown away by it. Psychological thrillers aren't really my thing, but I found this one quite unputdownable - as you'd tell by the black rings under my eyes today!
Elizabeth Schlichte
I personally found it dull and not very thrilling or suspenseful. I normally read a book in 2-4 days and this one took me a full week for lack of interest. I also found it easy to guess what was going to happen or where things were leading.
Jossie Solheim
Nov 07, 2015 Jossie Solheim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book and well worth reading it is a heart breaking story with a heart breaking ending but it had me gripped to the very end. Truly amazing book and a Jo the MC was so easy to sympathise with and like a must read and I will certainly be reading more by this author brilliant.
Tric Marland
I really enjoyed this until I got to the end. Rushed ending and no justice at all, was extremely disappointed. As someone with a mental illness I can totally empathise with feeling like everything is all consuming but just when you think there's light it's taken away all too quickly!!!
Madeline Bell
The end of this book really disappointed me to the point where I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Started ok. Boring middle and rubbish end.
Nov 25, 2015 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was seriously on the edge of my seat throughout this whole book, and not many books can do that to me anymore - wow, what an ending! Did not see it going that way at all.
Diane
Disappointing, somewhat predictable, ending. Gripping scenes but main character is weak and becomes a bore.
Helen Hicks
I was really gripped by this book, but unfortunately felt the ending was a complete let down and almost rushed towards the end.
Annemarie
I can't honestly review, I did plod thru 60 pages, skimmed the rest and read the last 2 chapters, I love thrillers but this one started and stayed to slow for me. Nice ending though ;)
Beadyjan
May 28, 2013 Beadyjan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really exciting psychological thriller which kept me guessing all the way, however like several readers I fond the ending rushed and a touch disappointing after such a vivid and gripping read.
Mary O'kane
It started well and I was really enjoying it. I thought the story was developing well but then it ended too quickly. Disappointing.
Struthie
Apr 14, 2014 Struthie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the beginning but have never been so disappointed with an ending, felt I had wasted two days reading.
Sidonie Ferguson
predictable, with a total cop out ending. the writing style is good but the ending ruins the book. why spend all that time building a story to finish it with an easy ending?
Karen
Jun 29, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read ...until the ending which I found disappointing. Otherwise it would have got 5 stars. Am looking forward to reading another of her books though.
Nicola Maltby
Felt like the author got bored part way through - could have been a very good book if it had been about twice as long. Very disappointing ending.
Fiona
Mar 06, 2012 Fiona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to this one but to be honest found it an average read, I am not sure why it didn't grip me like I anticipated it would!
Amy
  • Single White Female
  • The Child Who
  • Witness
  • Faith
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • Night Waking