Start by marking “A Fire in the Sun” as Want to Read:
A Fire in the Sun

A Fire in the Sun (Marîd Audran #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,108 ratings  ·  49 reviews
In a world filled with so many puppets, strings tend to get tangled. In this follow-up to the groundbreaking cyberpunk novel WHEN GRAVITY FAILS, the Budayeen is still a very dangerous place, a high-tech Arabian ghetto where power and murder go hand in hand.

Marid Audran used to be a low-level street hustler, relying on his wits and independence. Now, he’s a cop…planted in t...more
Published May 9th 2011 (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A Fire in the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fire in the Sun

Stephen
4.0 stars. Very good sequel to When Gravity Fails and Book 2 of the "Budayeen Nights" novels that take place in a near future world of the Middle East (think Blade Runner in Saudi Arabia). The book is a "noir" style SF detective fiction starring Marîd Audran, a once small time hustler that is now working for the most influential man in the city of major crime boss of city.

The most interesting SF element/concept of the novels is the use by most of the population (at least those who can afford it)...more
Kim
The next book in the Marîd Audran is a bit different from the first. Marîd is no longer anyone's favourite person. He's treated like scum by all his old friends for the horrific incident at the end of the last book as well as he's now Friedlander Bey's lieutenant.

Not so much a detective book this time Audran is now Papa's official liaison with the police force helping them when suitable. He's also dealing with his past when he finds his mother for the first time since his youth. And coming up ag...more
jjmontreuil
Cathy
In some ways I thought the plot was a bit weaker than in the first book, for example there was an incredibly convenient incident where Marîd ended up in an alley with the moddy of the big bad guy that gave him tons of information that he needed and tons of leverage. But in other ways it was very satisfying, I still just love the atmosphere and the characters. Marîd is still struggling with the tension of being more and more isolated and yet longing for connections with the people he cares about,...more
Kelly
I didn't realize till recently that these books were written in the 80s. Effinger kept the techno-speak to a minimum which made these more timeless than they would have been otherwise. They're like hard-boiled detective noir that just happen to be set in the future Arab world. There's a lot to love here; unique culture, language, names that are just music (I did listen to this book), a main character that is delightfully flawed, yet still moral and an unfamiliar world to sink your teeth into. I...more
David Mcangus
The principle problem with this entry in the series, is that for large sections Marîd reads like he's had his balls cut off. While this may make sense in terms of plot, it also greatly diminishes the reading experience found in the first book.

Now that the protagonist that I liked in the first instalment is a shadow of his former self. His shoulders are unable to support some of the failings in the narrative that at times insult rationality. This isn't the same a plot reveal displaying a few lar...more
Princessjay
Now that Marid is set up as the single character with never-before-done brain modifications, are these ever used to any particular purpose? Not really. He chips these "moddies" and "daddies" much as everyone else in the story does, with their run-of-the-mill modifications. So what's the point of having him set up--in the first book--as THE GUY who refused to modify his brain because he feared losing his original personality?

The plot meandered here and there. There was some assassin or other kill...more
Stef
This is a sequel to When Gravity Fails, which is a long-time favorite. The style is cyberpunk / noir / hard-boiled. The setting is a future Middle-East city (although actually it's based on the New Orleans French Quarter). The first-person protagonist is a street punk who's been picked out (for reasons unknown to him) by one of the local bosses for advancement.

I like the book because of the Middle-Eastern cultural setting; I haven't come across a lot of SF&F done in such a setting. The way...more
Olethros
-Estrictamente hablando, más “Noir” que “Cyberpunk”.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. En el siglo XXII, Marîd viaja al oeste hasta Mauritania para buscar a su madre con objeto de saber más de su pasado. Cuando vuelve al Budayén, retoma su trabajo indeseado de policía interesándose por varias muertes extrañas y recibe un nuevo regalo envenenado de Freidlander Bey, que simultáneamente le hace un encargo delicado. Segundo volumen de la trilogía de Marîd Audran y que para disfrutarlo es r...more
Wes Devauld
A continuation of the story of Marid, which still takes place in the unique world of the Budayeen. Again the author has woven a unique backdrop of muslim religion, science fiction morality and heavy drug abuse which is quite a departure from my usual reads.

The plot is still entertaining, although I find myself distancing myself from the main protagonist. I can see where the story is heading and I do not believe I will continue with the series. The author relies more heavily on deus ex machina to...more
Israel Laureano
Las historias en el Budayén siguen ocurriendo, el autor, George Effinger hace que sus personajes y sus historias evolucionen y actúen y piensen conforme lo que les pasa.
Jen
Feb 25, 2010 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction and mystery fans
I love the creative mind of George Effinger. In this sequel to When Gravity Fails, main character Marid Audran struggles in the wake of being local godfather Friedlander Bay's lap dog and all-around chore boy. He has more money than he ever thought possible but feels bitter about having sold out. Unfortunately, another killer lurks in the Budayeen, Audran's beloved Red Light district, leaving him little time to stew.
Creating a crazy gumbo of noir, cyberpunk and Islam, Effinger created an unforge...more
Moebius Machiavelli
I gave this series such a high ranking first because at this time no one had even considered writing anything remotely like this... (or if they had, you couldn't tell). Only in recent years have I found a series that touches on the theme of Islam surviving into the future and... title escapes me this moment, think biotech, insects, gene-manipulation... Infidel, and God's War... that's it, by: Kameron Hurley. Okay, I admit, I cheated and looted it up. Nevertheless, also a good series, but Effing...more
Jim Phillips
Enjoyable, and worth reading, but there's a problem. The plot structure follows that of the first book almost exactly. The first half is spent wandering around with no real direction, then all at once we (and Audran) figure out what the point is supposed to be, and then we watch Audran stumble towards resolution. With an extended hospital visit along the way. And while this was ok in first book because the reader can enjoy learning about the world, here it just seems much more boring and pointle...more
Frederick Frankel
I don't even know why I love the works of George Alex Effinger. Why would I want to spend time in an imaginary futuristic Islamic world where half the people have had a sex change operation and the rest are addicted to consciousness-changing brain implants?

Perhaps because it is a complete alternate universe, and I'll take any port in the storm. Also, this series (there is another book and I can't remember the title) has a great hard boiled detective as the main character.
Michael Burnam-fink
The best cyberpunk that nobody knows. The drug and sex crazy Middle Eastern setting of the Buyadeen sets this apart from the usual chrome and black leather crowd, while the tech level is accurately 'like today, but a little bit different.' Book 2 of the Marid Audran trilogy follows our now neuro-enhanced protagonist as responsibility is forced on him, as well as a deadly secret about his employer and the system of governance he controls.
Jose Vera
Luego de más de 15 años pude leer la continuación de "cuando falla la gravedad". Aún tengo en la cabeza los personajes y la atmosfera que Effinger creo.

Personajes bien detallados, una trama interesante, un mundo cyberpunk que, sin ser novedoso, es fresco e interesante. Bien escrito, situaciones intensas y pequeñas sorpresas. Una buena continuación, si has leido el primer libro, vale la pena leer este.
Robert
Great! Great! Great! Science fiction set in an arab detective novel! I really loved it. It was gritty in the way the classic noir detctive novels are but with the added worldiness of Islam and Arab cynicicism. Plus really interesting technological developments. Characters are all fun and real.
I want to know what a White Death tastes like.
Craig Carignan
Great book second in the series that I've read.
J.A.
This is the second book in a trilogy. I just read it once; I do not really remember much of it except that I liked the first book and re-read it several times while I did not do the same with this. I never had the opportunity to get the third book ("Exile Kiss"), so maybe I felt this one was lacking closure. I don't know.
Peter
Meh. I finished the novel, it wasn't terrible. But: Consistently cookie-cutter secondary characters and flimsy wider world building (the local scenery is interesting enough but the world's development is exaggeratedly unbelievable). The plot meandered about for the first quarter of the book and didn't get much better later.
nullstream
A very good sequel and the character progression is well done.
You definitely get a completely different view of the main character by the end that is completely different than the previous book.
I enjoyed this book quite a bit and have queued up the last in the trilogy and am eager to get right into it.
Daniel Hembree
Second in the trilogy. Character still a punk but is now a lackey as well. Still, the story grabs your interest and moves along. Th dialogues are still tedious and narfation over dramatic. Hoping the main character reaches enlightenment in the next one...
Kevin
Great noir/cyberpunk set in a near-future Arab world. Takes off running a few months after the end of When Gravity Fails. That book had a lot of setup to explain--this one doesn't--so much more action in this one. Though some cool metaphysical stuff too.
Ray Anselmo
Effinger may not have been the easiest person to live with, but his Marid trilogy is still an easy -- and fun -- read, even decades later. Imagine Raymond Chandler, only writing from late 22nd-century North Africa. Then plug in and enjoy the ride!
George  Carr
Much less interesting than the first volume of the series.
Tom
The second in George Alec Effinger's Budayeen Trilogy follows Marîd Audran as he's assigned to be Friedlander Bey's liaison to the City's police department. Not as good as When Gravity Fails, but a certainly worthy novel.
Jday
This series should go down as one of the best in the Science Fiction genre. Simple, but with powerful characters. This is the second or third time I've read the series and I like it as much as the first time I read it.
Nilchance
In a just world, this series would be mentioned in the same breath as Neuromancer. I don't know why the first book was good but not great, but this one was delightful.
David Casperson
I read this a long time ago, but it and its companion When Gravity Fails feel to me to be a couple of books that helped to define cyber-punk.
  • Islands in the Net
  • Voice of the Whirlwind (Hardwired, #2)
  • Vacuum Flowers
  • Who?
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • Mother of Storms
  • Redrobe
  • Synners
  • Project Pope
  • Past Master
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • Ash Ock (The Paratwa Saga, Book 2)
When Gravity Fails (Marîd Audran #1) The Exile Kiss (Marîd Audran #3) Budayeen Nights Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson The Zork Chronicles (Infocom, #5)