Start by marking “Conrad's Time Machine: A Prequel to the Adventures of Conrad Stargard (Cross-Time Engineer)” as Want to Read:

Conrad's Time Machine: A Prequel to the Adventures of Conrad Stargard (Conrad Stargard 0)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Just out of the Air Force, Tom looked up two of his old pals, one of whom had just wrangled a Federal grant to study motorcycle gangs. For ease of study, the trio formed their own gang and hit the road, intently studying each other in various seedy bars along their way Then these poor mans Easy Riders ran into a strange perfectly hemispherical hole in the ground where a ho ...more
Published January 27th 2004 by Baen Books (first published August 27th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Conrad's Time Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conrad's Time Machine

Bryan457
I did not really like this one. In spite of the title, it is not about Conrad, but about his cousin Tom and their time machine.
This is probably one of the most obvious and perfect examples of the much maligned "deus ex machina," "god from the machine," plot device, whereby a seemingly inextricable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the unexpected intervention of some new character, ability, or object.
"Aliens gave it to me."
Steven
First, I had no idea this was part of a larger universe, even if it isn't strictly speaking a direct part of the series.

Second, I was super uncomfortable with all the sex. I mean, sex is fine in context, but this was just a harem for no apparent purpose. Someone please let me know if it pays off in the larger overall series.
Theophilus (Theo)
Really far out. Three buddies cruising on their motorcycles discover the remnants of a time travel experiment. They are all extremely intelligent guys, who just haven't found their niche in life yet. They do recognize the significance of their discovery and set out perfect a method of traveling through time. Lots of sex, booze, and scientific discovery. Not a children's story; definitely a good adult (guy or gal) page turner. It's a prequel to a series by the author. Worth checking out.
Arthur
A fun romp, but it would have felt more realistic without the unrealistic women. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for free love and all that, but I just can't imagine women being that plastic and un-opinionated in real-life. How boring. However, all of the rest of the book was interesting and I enjoyed the rest of the characters, so I could pretty much ignore the gratuitous barbie doll women.

The other major problem I had was that this really felt like 2 books, and the transition between them was abru
Epennies
Apr 30, 2008 Epennies rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Alt History, Sci Fi or Fantasy.
Shelves: favorite-reads
This is one of those series that you pick up on a whim and love wholeheartedly.

I had never heard of Leo Frankowski, but the concept was interesting, and I was a fan of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, so I gave it a try.

I am so glad I did. This quickly became a favorite of mine and my husband's.

Synopsis: An Engineer just out of college accidentally gets shot back in time in Poland. He starts climbing the social ladder and making a few changes to Poland's place in history.
Gerald
Pretty great. Conrad wasn't mentioned at all besides in the title, but this turns out to be no major bummer. It's too bad the next book in the series isn't real. I wish Leo F. and I were buds. I really do.
Margaret
While this was entertaining, it is not quite my style of sci-fi and I didn't like the ending.
Eduardo
it is a book that you would want to read if you like adventorous books
David
A really fun story, but I don't like the deus ex machina ending.
David
David added it
Mar 29, 2015
Sorpigal
Sorpigal marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Dave Arvig
Dave Arvig marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Scott Sylkatis
Scott Sylkatis marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Khyber Connection (Time Wars, #6)
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • Exiles To Glory
  • Retief of the CDT (Retief, #7)
  • Time Storm
  • Back to the Future, Part 2
  • Saturn Rukh
  • Submarine!
  • Memoirs: Ten Years and Twenty Days
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • The History Buff's Guide to the Presidents: Top Ten Rankings of the Best, Worst, Largest and Most Controversial Facets of the American Presidency

Conrad Stargard (10 books)
  • The Cross-Time Engineer (Conrad Stargard, #1)
  • The High-Tech Knight (Conrad Stargard, #2)
  • The Radiant Warrior (Conrad Stargard, #3)
  • The Radiant Warrior Omnibus (Conrad Stargard, #1-3)
  • The Flying Warlord (Conrad Stargard, #4)
  • Lord Conrad's Lady (Conrad Stargard, #5)
  • Conrad's Quest for Rubber (Conrad Stargard, #6)
  • Conrad's Lady Omnibus (Conrad Stargard, #4-6)
  • Lord Conrad's Crusade (Conrad Stargard, #7)
The Cross-Time Engineer (Conrad Stargard, #1) The High-Tech Knight (Conrad Stargard, #2) The Radiant Warrior (Conrad Stargard, #3) The Flying Warlord (Conrad Stargard, #4) Lord Conrad's Lady (Conrad Stargard, #5)