Conrad's Time Machine: A Prequel to the Adventures of Conrad Stargard (Cross-Time Engineer)

Conrad's Time Machine: A Prequel to the Adventures of Conrad Stargard (Conrad Stargard 0)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Just out of the Air Force, Tom looked up two of his old pals, one of whom had just wrangled a Federal grant to study motorcycle gangs. For ease of study, the trio formed their own gang and hit the road, intently studying each other in various seedy bars along their way Then these poor mans Easy Riders ran into a strange perfectly hemispherical hole in the ground where a ho...more
Published January 27th 2004 by Baen Books (first published August 27th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Conrad's Time Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conrad's Time Machine

Bryan457
I did not really like this one. In spite of the title, it is not about Conrad, but about his cousin Tom and their time machine.
This is probably one of the most obvious and perfect examples of the much maligned "deus ex machina," "god from the machine," plot device, whereby a seemingly inextricable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the unexpected intervention of some new character, ability, or object.
"Aliens gave it to me."
Theophilus (Theo)
Really far out. Three buddies cruising on their motorcycles discover the remnants of a time travel experiment. They are all extremely intelligent guys, who just haven't found their niche in life yet. They do recognize the significance of their discovery and set out perfect a method of traveling through time. Lots of sex, booze, and scientific discovery. Not a children's story; definitely a good adult (guy or gal) page turner. It's a prequel to a series by the author. Worth checking out.
Arthur
A fun romp, but it would have felt more realistic without the unrealistic women. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for free love and all that, but I just can't imagine women being that plastic and un-opinionated in real-life. How boring. However, all of the rest of the book was interesting and I enjoyed the rest of the characters, so I could pretty much ignore the gratuitous barbie doll women.

The other major problem I had was that this really felt like 2 books, and the transition between them was abru...more
Epennies
Apr 30, 2008 Epennies rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Alt History, Sci Fi or Fantasy.
Shelves: favorite-reads
This is one of those series that you pick up on a whim and love wholeheartedly.

I had never heard of Leo Frankowski, but the concept was interesting, and I was a fan of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, so I gave it a try.

I am so glad I did. This quickly became a favorite of mine and my husband's.

Synopsis: An Engineer just out of college accidentally gets shot back in time in Poland. He starts climbing the social ladder and making a few changes to Poland's place in history.
Gerald
Pretty great. Conrad wasn't mentioned at all besides in the title, but this turns out to be no major bummer. It's too bad the next book in the series isn't real. I wish Leo F. and I were buds. I really do.
Margaret
While this was entertaining, it is not quite my style of sci-fi and I didn't like the ending.
Eduardo
it is a book that you would want to read if you like adventorous books
David
A really fun story, but I don't like the deus ex machina ending.
Douglas
Douglas marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Wade Purvis
Wade Purvis marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Elizabeth Hansen
Elizabeth Hansen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Lauma Lapa
Lauma Lapa marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Cross-Time Engineer (Conrad Stargard, #1) The High-Tech Knight (Conrad Stargard, #2) The Radiant Warrior (Conrad Stargard, #3) The Flying Warlord (Conrad Stargard, #4) Lord Conrad's Lady (Conrad Stargard, #5)