Always a Witch (Witch, #2)

Always a Witch (Witch #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  3,964 ratings  ·  504 reviews
Since the gripping conclusion of Once a Witch, Tamsin Greene has been haunted by her grandmother's prophecy that she will soon be forced to make a crucial decision ? one so terrible that it could destroy her family forever. When she discovers that her enemy, Alistair Knight, went back in time to Victorian era New York in order to destroy her family, Tamsin is forced to fol...more
Published (first published August 1st 2011)

Ruby Red by Kerstin GierSearching for Arthur by Donna HosieEmerald Green by Kerstin GierThe Clay Lion by Amalie JahnParallel Roads (Lost on Route 66) by Dennis Higgins
Best YA Travel time
29th out of 85 books — 275 voters
Harry Potter Boxed Set by J.K. RowlingThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Eye of the World by Robert JordanThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books with Wizards, Witches, Sorcerers and Mages
120th out of 232 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

oliviasbooks
I confidently predict that readers who loved Once a Witch will also love the second half of the story about the seemingly talentfree, teenaged witch Tamsin Greene, her wacky, magic family, her hot and talented boyfriend Gabriel and their joint fight against the super evil and humans-hating Knight clan, because it is basically composed using the same elements:
- an imperfect and insecure but likable, courageous and strong teenaged heroine.
- a cute and devoted love interest and side-kick.
- a slig...more
Kate (Nomalicious Reads)
More reviews can be found at my blog Nomalicious Reads

Always A Witch was a thrilling, sigh worthy read; a fantastic conclusion to Once a Witch.

Carolyn MacCullough tied all the ends off very nicely, and I'm sad that Tamsin's journey is now over :( But it ended so well that I can't complain.

Tamsin dealing with the social norms and bad guy,s in the nineteenth century definitely had its amusing moments as well as its heartwarming and shocking ones.

The bad guys, La Spider and Liam were amazingly,...more
Vinaya
Wow. Just wow. I did NOT see that coming. After I read Once a Witch, I remember saying that MacCullough's writing was pretty decent. Now I'm forced to swallow my words. It's not just decent, it's pretty damn good! In this sequel to Once A Witch, Tamsin must journey back in time to the New York of the 1880s to stop her family's enemies from regaining their power and destroying what the Greenes have spent a hundred-odd years building.

MacCullough seems to have a talent for historical fiction. The s...more
~Tina~
It took the return of an old family enemy, two episodes of time travel, and one very dangerous love spell that nearly killed my sister before I learned three things.
First, I can stop anyone from using there Talents to harm me. Second, I can absorb a person's Talent if they attempt to use it against me three times. Third, I apparently have a choice ahead of me.

Since this book isn't released till Aug 2011, I don't want to say to much since I want others to just read.this.book.
Always a Witch is suc...more
Wendy Darling
What started out as a cute book became a really good one in the end. Full review to come.
Kate McMurry
Book 2 of the Witch Urban-Fantasy Series for Teens

Note: Please do not read this review if you have not read Book 1 of the Witch series, Once a Witch, because there will inevitably be spoilers for that book.

Once again 17-year-old Tamsin Greene’s life is strongly influenced by one of her grandmother’s prophecies, in this case that she will soon have to make a huge decision that could affect her family’s very survival. After the events of Once a Witch, Tamsin has become fully aware of her enormous...more
Patty
Loved this even more than the first book in this series...my question is...will there be a book three? I am not quite ready to say good bye to Tamsin and Gabriel.

Always A Witch
By
Carolyn MacCullough

From The Book…
Since the gripping conclusion of Once A Witch, Tamsin Greene has been haunted by her grandmother’s prophecy that she will soon be forced to make a crucial decision---one so terrible that it could harm everyone she loves. When she discovers that her enemy, Alistair Knight, went back in tim...more
Kelly
Alone among her relatives, Tamsin Greene grew up believing the family’s Talents had skipped her over, and learned to get by without magic. But in Once a Witch, Tamsin learned that she was far from powerless. Rather, she was one of the strongest of the Greene witches. Always a Witch concludes her story.

Tamsin is still getting used to having magic, and her sister Rowena is annoying her with her bridezilla antics. These concerns take a backseat when the family learns that the sinister Alistair Knig...more
Sandy
More like 3.5...better than the first with a thriller of an ending.

Fans of Carolyn MacCullough's Once a Witch will absolutely devour this sequel, Always a Witch. MacCullough has upped the action and the plot, and the second half of this novel is utterly gripping. It's one of those sequels that's better than the first with an absolute thriller of an ending.

In Always a Witch, Tamsin must travel back to the 1880s to stop Alistair and the Knights from destroying her family. Readers who love time tra...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Reviewed by Sophie for MM's-

Well established weaknesses for me include: time travel, magic, stubborn girls and boys who always, but always do the right thing. Need I go on to add that yes, Carolyn, hit them all.

Let me start by saying that I completely admire Carolyn's ability to plot a two story arc and then gracefully execute it until the very last page when that one thing mentioned in the first book (that was oh so important) comes back full circle. Yes, I'm trying hard to keep this spoiler-fr...more
Lauren
Always a Witch is the sequal to Once a Witch. In Once a Witch, Tamsin Greene grew up in a talented family of witches believing herself to be ordinary. Her own family were rather awful to at her times considering their deception. We find out part of the reason why they treated her this way in Always a Witch. (view spoiler)...more
Go Go Chocobo!
Suspenseful, and beautifully crafted.

In this installment of the Witch series, we learn more about the mysterious Knight family and the Greenes.

I loved Tamsin in the first installment, but I absolutely fell in love with her spunk, dry wit, and bravery in this book. We see her going through a lot of different things here, and we watch her grow. She's moving away for college, she has a boyfriend and she finally knows what her talent is, and how to harness that power. I think what I liked most was t...more
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Posted on Reading Lark 6/24/11: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2011/...

I read Once a Witch awhile back after it was first released and remembered really enjoying it, but this one blew it out of the water. It may be cheesy to say that this book put a spell on me, but that is exactly what it did. I was unable to put this book down for long. Every time I closed it to do something other than read, my Kindle kept whispering my name urging me to pick it back up and dive into the story. This ed...more
Kristi-The Book Faery
THE FAERYS VIEW

After Tamsin Greene’s horrific encounter with the wicked Alistair Knight in Once a Witch, Tamsin is just starting to get comfortable with her new found Talent and finding her place within her extraordinarily Talented (magical) family. Tamsin’s happy and relieved to have found her Talent yet struggling with her grandmother’s prediction that she will soon make a decision, a decision so vital it will affect her entire family’s future.

Life has finally settled down a bit for Tamsin; h...more
kari
Well, now I kind of wish that I hadn't wished for a sequel to Once a Witch. I hate to say it, but nothing much happens in this one until the very end and the evil person is eliminated off-screen and without any fanfare. Although there are plenty of other evil people, I'm not sure that the villain should meet his end without it being shown. That feels like it's unfinished in some way.
Also, most of what I enjoyed in the first book is completely missing here. There is very little interaction betwee...more
Bry
This was a good follow up in the series. I was really afraid this book would suffer the normal series curse in that the first book is excellent and the 2nd book ends up the complete opposite so you drop the series completely.

I was pleased with the growth of the characters, the progression of their abilities and relationships, and the plots complexity. Although sadly the plot did not advance at all until about 1/2 way through the book.

All in all it was a light, fun, and easy read. It surprised...more
Crystal
I have to say that I really enjoyed this one. Tam and Gabriel continue on in their quest to stop Allistair from his plot to save the Knight family from destruction. I really liked the time travel aspect of this one. I haven't read many books with that in it and it is refreshing twist to the story. I missed Gabriel in the first part and would have liked to have seen Tam reach out a little more for help even though I know why she didn't. I was very sad in the end but it was expected and completely...more
Rashika (is busy trying to graduate)
*This mini review has also been posted onTangled in Pages

This year I want to get the reading I've been avoiding done. I want to complete series' that I refuse to finish and read sequels I once awaited eagerly. I thought this would be a good place to start seeing that I read the first book in this duology back in 2012. I cannot remember exactly what put me off but I decided not to read the sequel and let things be. Perhaps it was fear of a love triangle (how I hate those) but I have to say, whate...more
Kristy
Dare I say I enjoyed this one more than Once a Witch (Witch, #1)?? Yep, I enjoyed this one more. It had a clean historical fiction vibe going that I completely enjoyed. It is very much age appropriate for the YA crowd.

Spoilers and complaining ahead:

I want more relationship between Gabriel and Tasmin. I love that their love-story is not the main element in the book, but I feel like the scenes they do share could have been a bit more romantical.....

Honestly, I feel like this was super-fast paced and over too quick. I n...more
Alisha
I loved Once A Witch. Seriously, it was one of my favorite books read last year (or was it the year before?) and not only was it the PERFECT Halloween read, but it was also a fairly unique read. You don't see many YA novels written about witches (or at least many that have been done well...or at least I haven't). Therefore, I have been anxiously awaiting the sequel, Always A Witch. While I didn't think the sequel was as good as Once a Witch, it was still a really entertaining novel.

Always a Witc...more
Ferdy
The plot centers on two family of witches, the Greenes and the Knights. Every witch has a talent be it speed, fire or being able to find lost things. Tamsin always believed she had no talent but recently found out that she does in fact have a powerful talent, she is immune to all other talents and can take other peoples talents if it used on her three times.
The Greene family in the 1800's discovered the Knight family using their talent for evil so they created the Domani, the Domani stops the K...more
Amber

I'm going to start off by saying that I am so so lucky not to have a sister like Rowena...aka Bridezilla!!

The protaganist in Always A Witch, (aka Tamsin Greene) is faced with many challenges and finally pieces together the path she was chosen for. I admire the courage throughout the story she exudes and the selflessness that leads her on her journey back in time to when it all began.

I really enjoyed Always A Witch by Carolyn MacCullough. At times I felt it was a little slow but when it started...more
Jeanbooknerd
Always a Witch is a marvelous and pleasing continuation to Carolyn MacCullough’s Once a Witch. It started right where it left off and another adventure began. The outline of the story was planned out well and MacCullough definitely knew how everything was going to happen. This time around, Tamsin must make a choice that can change the fate of her family’s entire future. Usually when a story involves time traveling, it can tend to be confusing and get the reader out of place, but I found it to be...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Duygu Pınar
Yine harika bir kitaptı. Bitiş yeri beni düşündürdü yazar nereden ne nasıl devam edecek? Tamsin in yeni macerasını merakla bekliyorum.
Linda
This sequel to "Once a Witch", which I rated and reviewed recently, was as wonderful as the first book. In this story Tamsin Greene must fulfill her destiny and sacrifice her life to save the entire Greene family. Told by her grandmother that she will be forced to make a crucial decision, Tamsin chooses to go back in time to the Victorian era where she faces the evil Knight family in order to change history. Trapped in the 18th century with no way home, Tamsin gets a position as lady's maid in t...more
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
Once a witch, Always a witch

The titles together give the best sum up you could ever find.
Truly.

So, Tamsin, being the super witch she is, after a surprise visit from Alistair, decides to go to the past when everything started between the Knights and the Greenes.

I have to say that I loved the background of this story. New York in the 18th-19th century? I just loved that the history of the Big Apple boosted the story.

Moving on, Tamsin decided to go alone. She makes Tamara (who has turned into a Br...more
Krystle
I’m always so sad when a series comes to an end, especially if they’re a good one and this one lived up to it!

We are immediately thrown back in time and the author must’ve done a lot of research because everything felt believable and I was totally immersed in the period. At first things started off on a slow beat and I was starting to worry that this would be a disappointment but then it picked up a lot of steam to one grand finale.

I love how the time traveling has a greater effect on the futur...more
Maureen Hoar
This is the follow up novel to Once a Witch. IT picks up after Allistare has traveled thru time to reverse the effects of the spell that was cast by the Green family in 1893 that blocked the Knight family's magic due to their missuse and murder of humans and eventually other witches. Tansen is a witch that can steel another witches power if they use it against her. She feels it is her destiny to thwart Allistare in his endeavors, so she goes back in time to 1893. What she sees there in the Knigh...more
Darkfallen
Once A Witch was a fun, light, easy peezy, great read. The characters were well built, stable, and I found myself eager to dive into the next book. Always A Witch not only held up to my expectations but exceided them!

Tamsin Greene is left to fight for her family's survival. To do this she has to travel back to 1887 and help her ancestors put an end to the Knight family once and for all. She will be faced with a terrible decision. A sacrafice so big that only she is strong enough to make the righ...more
always a witch 6 39 Sep 27, 2012 12:02PM
Free Book Giveaway: Win a copy of Always a Witch! 1 11 Nov 16, 2011 06:45AM
Best Teen Books: Win a copy of Always a Witch! 1 17 Nov 16, 2011 06:44AM
Young Adult Ficti...: Win a copy of Always a Witch! 1 7 Nov 16, 2011 06:42AM
One Million Pages...: Always a Witch Buddy Read 6 12 Oct 19, 2011 09:20AM
  • One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2)
  • Swear (Swoon, #2)
  • Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
  • Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2)
  • Circle of Fire (Prophecy of the Sisters, #3)
  • Savannah Grey
  • Wildcat Fireflies (Fenestra, #2)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • The Vespertine (The Vespertine, #1)
  • Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2)
  • Witchlanders
  • Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale
  • Destiny (Immortal, #4)
  • Witch Song (Witch Song, #1)
  • The Wood Queen (The Iron Witch, #2)
  • Populazzi
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • Wake Unto Me
Carolyn MacCullough received her MFA in creative writing from the New School and lives with her husband in Brooklyn.
More about Carolyn MacCullough...
Once a Witch (Witch, #1) Drawing the Ocean Stealing Henry Falling Through Darkness Saga de Brujas (Witch, #1-2)

“You are a beacon for us. One of the most powerful."
"I'm not," I say softly. "Not anymore."
Smiling, my grandmother presses my hand. "Always, Tamsin. Because of you, we have a future. That's why you will always be a beacon for us." Still holding my hand, she turns toward the house, toward the sound of laughter and music spilling out from the lit windows.
Looking back at her, I mile, close my eye in her trademark wink, and say, "Ah.”
8 likes