Start by marking “The Rose of Winslow Street” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,514 Ratings  ·  273 Reviews
Published January 1st 2012 by Bethany House Publishers

Janna
Jan 07, 2012 Janna rated it it was amazing
I am so impressed by the character development in "The Rose of Winslow Street" by Elizabeth Camden. She has done an amazing thing by introducing us to two very different characters (Libby and Micheal), from two very different backgrounds (America and Romania), with two very different upbringings (I don't want to spoil anything...), and giving us one location (the house on Winslow Street) that they both have ties to, and then making them both sympathetic characters. I was never sure who it was th ...more
Aerykah
I don't know why I waited so long to read this... While it was a tiny bit slow starting off, I really enjoyed it very much!
Megan
Before I get to my opinion of the story I have to say that the cover of this book is absolutely gorgeous! When I first saw it online I thought it was very pretty, but it's even more beautiful in person; and it's not just the front cover, but the back cover too. Before I read the story I thought the back was nice, but now I see that each object on there represents a part in the story - very clever!

I have to be careful not to give away too much of the story, otherwise I might spoil it for you. I l
Beth
I've somehow managed to collect all of Elizabeth Camden's novels on my Kindle, and I have to say that I'm very glad of this now that I've read The Rose of Winslow Street. This was such a unique story that had me impressed and enthralled with the details. What summarized like a typical fluffy romance was instead a surprising story. After a bit of slow start, I didn't want to put this down because I was eager to see what happened next.

These characters had to deal with some harsh situations. Whethe
Angelc
Jun 04, 2012 Angelc rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

I loved this book! It was really different from a lot of the inspirational fiction I've read lately, and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much. The storyline was unique from anything I've read and so were the characters. All of the characters drew me in, both the leads and the supporting cast. I really cared about both Libby's and Michael's families.

I loved that Libby loved and cared for Michael's family regardless of their nationality, even when everyone else in the community shunned
Margaret Metz
Feb 12, 2012 Margaret Metz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love historical romances. I practically eat, sleep and breathe them. They've become a sort of ... meat and potatoes for me. This book is more like... cheesecake. It's rich and with an unexpected tang here and there -- the surprises in the story. There is the sweet topping and the crust as well -- just adding to the complexity of the flavor. Okay, I'll leave the cheesecake metaphor alone now -- I'm getting hungry. lol

The point is this is a decadently rich story packaged between a gorgeous front
Brittnee
Mar 23, 2016 Brittnee rated it it was amazing
I just love how she writes! The historical details, the characters, the depth of the story - great read!
Apr 12, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Liberty (Libby) Sawyer lives with her father in Massachusetts in a stately house on Winslow Street. On an evening when she and her father are not home, their house gets broken into and taken into possession by Michael Dobrescu, newly arrived from Romania with his two young sons, Luca and Andrei and a young woman called Lady Mirela. Michael claims the house is rightfully his, inherited through his uncle, who used to live there almost 30 years ago.

In the weeks to come, as Libby and her father wait
Jamie
May 21, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I didn't really know what to expect when I picked up this book, but I loved it! I don't even remember how I heard about it, but I'm so glad I picked it up and read it.

Liberty Sawyer has lived in Colden, Massachusetts all her life. Never-married, she lives with her father, a sometimes cantankerous but very brilliant inventor. While she and her father are summering away at the cape, a mysterious man and his family who claim to have rights to their home moves his family into the home in the middle
Gwendolyn Gage
Jan 21, 2014 Gwendolyn Gage rated it it was amazing
Libby Sawyer's summer visit with her brother is disrupted when word arrives that a band of foreigners has broken into her house and taken up residence, claiming it belongs to them. Distressed and upset, Libby and her father wait for police to evict them, but questions surrounding the previous homeowner's will and the trespassers' relation to him tie the law's hands and push the situation into court. As the community rallies to the Sawyer side and shuns the needs of the Romanian family, Libby rea ...more
Rachel Brand
My 2014 reading is definitely off to a great start with this book! Last year I had the pleasure of reading Against the Tide when helping judge the INSPY Awards, and I was fascinated by the depth of historical detail in Elizabeth Camden's writing. This novel had similarly exquisite detail, and so much more. Each of the characters--from the main protagonists to their family members--had real and dynamic flaws and struggles that made them sympathetic...and occasionally frustrating! This book took s ...more
Bethany
Oct 23, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting read, full of twist and turns the reader doesn't see coming, and was a wonderfully unique story. It is my first Elizabeth Camden book to read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved how this book was so...unexpected. Their are so many parts in this story you just don't see coming (or at least, I didn't see those things coming). It was such a unique story-line, and was very different than the normal novel, making it a fun read.

Now, normally I don't go all crazy and descr
Nidofito
So, so good.

Camden really hit the nail with this book. A compelling, multifaceted plot with a range of characters who didn't have definitive good or bad personalities. I feel like I normally rate Camden's books a little harshly but it's because they're so good that I become more critical and thus, I'm very happy that I was able to give this one a perfect score.
Holly Renee
Feb 19, 2012 Holly Renee rated it really liked it
The Rose of Winslow Street, Elizabeth Camden's second novel, is a book that will enthrall readers and keep them hooked until they reach that last word of this story. There is never a dull moment in this book.

The characters in this book are unique, and everything about them breaks away from the stereotypical characters we normally find in romances. These characters have multiple layers that give them depth and intrigue the reader.

I love how this book contains a mystery that evokes the imagination
Dawn
Aug 03, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
It took me a while to get into Elizabeth Camden’s The Rose of Winslow Street, but boy am I glad I pushed through the first few chapters. I was a little put off by not knowing who to trust. Having immigrants from Romania stealing the heroine’s house on the first page was quite an interesting way to start a book.

At first I didn’t like Michael Dobrescu ... but I’ve come to realize that when an author is able to take me from not even liking a character to absolutely loving him throughout the book—t
This is my least favorite of any Camden book. While I loved the characters, there were parts of this book that were a little slow. I also felt that the back story for Michael's sister was very disturbing. No, it wasn't over the top, unbelievable, or described in detail, but I still found it disturbing.

I thought some parts were funny, interesting, and cute. I enjoyed most of this book, but still not enough to give it more than three stars.
Carol Nicolas
Libby Sawyer and her father return from their summer home and discover that strangers have moved into their house. Widower Mikhail Dobrescu and his family have fled Romania and have come to Colden, Massachusetts to claim the house and property that belonged to his grandfather. Both parties fight fiercely for legal possession, but neither could have anticipated that Libby and Michael would fall in love.
I loved this book! Nothing is as it seems on the surface. Is Michael really the son of a Duke?
Loraine
Feb 25, 2012 Loraine rated it it was amazing
This wonderful novel contained complex characters and an interwoven storyline for several of the main characters. I loved the interplay between the Romanians and Libby and her family as the various storylines played themselves out. It was a joy to read and I will look forward to reading others by this new-to-me author.
Hannah
Dec 30, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Very much enjoyed my second Camden book! The story was meaningful and so interesting...I'm assuming the main character had some form of dyslexia?? I've got a number of friends who struggle with it, so it sounds similar. Adding this to my list of "to-buy"! And I loved Mirela's life journey...
Sedoo Ashivor
I loved, loved, loved it! It was so captivating, I couldn't set it down! A goodreads friends gave this opinion and I agree- it is a very original story. I have truly never read anything like it before. Wow!
Janelle
Oct 14, 2013 Janelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, 2013
The beginning was very slow to me, it took me several days to pick it back up again. I am so glad I did though. It was a great book filled with rich Romanian culture, mystery, faith, and love. A very beautifully written story.
Rachel
The last thing Libby Sawyer and her father expected upon their return from their summer home was to find strangers inhabiting a house that had been in their family for decades. Widower Michael Dobrescu brought his family from Romania to the town of Colden, Massachusetts with a singular purpose: to claim the house willed to him long ago. Since neither party has any intention of giving up their claim, a fierce legal battle ensues between the two families.

Oh my! The push and pull of emotions in thi
I love how Camden does her characters and romance. She always incorporates unique character traits and interesting backgrounds that are rarely seen in other fictional works. This book was no different. Michael’s mysterious background in Romania and Libby’s unique obstacle trait I have not seen in Christian historical romance before or in other fiction for that matter.

I loved seeing these two come together romantically with their one-of-a-kind personalities and backgrounds. There’s a tenderness
steph
May 12, 2012 steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to steph by: Amazon
This book was the most original book I've read in a long time. In fact, at no point in the story did I have any idea of how things were going to turn out. Even up until the last few pages, I didn't know. Do you know how long it has been when I haven't seen a ending/plot line coming? Longer then I can remember. So reading this was like a breath of fresh air because for the first time in a long time, I was reading to see how a story was going to go along, not reading to see if I was right in the e ...more
Kathy Jo
Sep 21, 2012 Kathy Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, The Rose of Winslow Street was a little slow in the beginning for me and I almost stopped reading it thinking that I would try again at a later date. But then the story started picking up and I really enjoyed it!

Libby Sawyer has spent her entire life not being "good enough" for anyone around her. People look down on her because she is illiterate. She always believed that she would be a spinster and would never be able to have a family of her own. Because who would want to "burde
Amber Stokes
Jan 15, 2016 Amber Stokes rated it it was amazing
From the synopsis, The Rose of Winslow Street sounds like a story about a pushy man who claims ownership of a house belonging to a rich girl, leading to a battle in court and then happily ever after. But while that may describe some of the bare bones of the book, from the very get-go the plot is much more complex and extraordinary than that!

Michael Dobrescu takes family very seriously, and he'll do anything to provide for his own. But when the path to protecting his family takes him to the house
The Literary Maidens
Jul 07, 2013 The Literary Maidens rated it it was amazing
Madi's Rating: 5 stars. Madi's Review: http://theliterarymaidens.blogspot.co...

/ / M a d i ' s B o o k R e v i e w / /

Libby Sawyer lives in town with her cold hearted father, and she tries to hide herself in her paints. Why would she want to be a part of the society that mocks her and ridicules her for her lack of reading skills? Her one weak spot is her love of children. Children flock to her, and she adores their bright and awe-struck way of living life. So she is excited to spend the Summer w
BlueJeansAndTeacups
May 20, 2013 BlueJeansAndTeacups rated it it was amazing
•o•:**:•. HIGHLY ENJOYABLE/GREAT DEPTH .•:**:• o•

I could hardly put this book down. It was fun, exciting, and mysterious. It was filled with growing love, family devotion, tragedy, and positive relationships with Christ.

It begins in Colden, Massachusetts in 1879, where most of the story takes place. It also weaves in a family fleeing Romania, who have thick Romanian accents. Those were fun to read, since I tend to hear accents in my head.

Libby Sawyer has a disability which causes her to be ver
Kav
Dec 26, 2011 Kav rated it it was amazing

"The Rose of Winslow Street" is steeped in intrigue that begins on the very first page. The more I read, the more questions stuttered through my mind. Wh-wh-at....h-how...wh-why....huh? I was clamouring for answers that Camden cleverly held at bay, keeping me turning pages late into the night. What an artfully crafted plot! And each piece of the puzzle is revealed at just the right time in order to make the most dramatic impact.

But, oh my, there's laughter in unexpected places -- even in the mi
Mary
Feb 13, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
When you go to the beach for a vacation, you don't usually worry about a family moving into your home while you are gone, right? Well, that is what happened in 1879 in a small town in Massachusetts. Who is the rightful owner? An immigrant and his immediate family arrive in America to claim a house and land they believe was left to them in a will long ago. One of the main characters, Michael,is outspoken, seemingly uncaring, and loud. His presence is large and intimidating. Libby, a young artist, ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 01:34PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 01:32PM
Translation to Spanish 1 1 Jul 07, 2014 05:07PM
Christian Fiction...: The Rose of Winslow Street by Elizabeth Camden - January 66 62 Jan 15, 2014 06:31AM
  • Prize of My Heart (Sea Heroes of Duxbury)
  • The Messenger
  • Words Spoken True
  • Fairer Than Morning (Saddler's Legacy, #1)
  • Summer of Promise (Westward Winds, #1)
  • Unending Devotion (Michigan Brides, #1)
  • Courting Morrow Little
  • Before the Scarlet Dawn (Daughters of the Potomac, #1)
  • Love in Disguise
  • Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge, #1)
  • Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County, #1)
  • A Heart Divided (Heart of the Rockies #1)
  • Wings of a Dream
  • No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom, #1)
  • Surrender the Dawn (Surrender to Destiny, #3)
  • Before the Season Ends
  • Glamorous Illusions (Grand Tour, #1)
  • A Necessary Deception  (The Daughters of Bainbridge House #1)

“The man looked like Hercules, but all it took to make him positively giddy was to began discussing perfume.” 1 likes
“She was stunned when he suddenly pushed off the sofa and knelt on one knee before her. “Libby, you have no cause to help me,” he said in an earnest voice. “I have been nothing but trouble to you and your family, but does that mean we are destined to be enemies in all things? Because I think you are a woman of great quality. I watch you march into town armed with nothing but the strength of your compassion for a family in need. You are smart and courageous, and I find this very attractive.” 0 likes