Start by marking “Words Spoken True” as Want to Read:
Words Spoken True

Words Spoken True

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,090 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews

Adriane Darcy was practically raised in her father's newspaper offices. She can't imagine life without the clatter of the press and the push to be first to write the news that matters. Their Tribune is the leading paper in Louisville in 1855. Then Blake Garrett, a brash young editor from the North with a controversial new style of reporting, takes over failing competitor t

Published February 1st 2012 by Fleming H. Revell Company

Ann Gabhart
Nov 06, 2011 Ann Gabhart rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book will be released in February. It is without a doubt the most romantic book I've written for the inspirational market and perhaps for any market. I enjoyed the newspaper background and the historical setting in 1855 Louisville. I do hope readers will like getting to know Adriane Darcy and Blake Garrett as they compete to be first with the headlines of the day.

I always feel a little strange rating my own books, but then again, every story I'm given is amazing in its own way. Certainly i
Ruth
Feb 24, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it
In an era when most women were schooled in drawing room arts with an eye to making a good marriage, Adriane Darcy was practically raised in the rough-and-tumble environment of her father's newspaper offices. Adriane practically has ink flowing in her veins, fuelling her passion for the truth and getting the news to the public. When Blake Garrett, a bold editor from New York, arrives in Louisville and takes over the opposing newspaper, a war of words erupts between Blake and Adriane's father over ...more
Katie
Feb 20, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful historical fiction that will completely keep you on your toes! I’ve read two of Ann Gabhart’s books in the past, and thought I knew the kind of fiction she writes. But she completely surprised—and delighted—me with Words Spoken True. I wasn’t expecting this historical to be so...suspenseful!! I stayed up late into the night, unable to stop reading.

Adriane is a very strong heroine that I liked from the very first scene—w
Susanhayeshotmail.com
Please keep in mind that a three star rating for me means "it was okay" and I will admit that I dithered between two, I didn't like it, and three stars for the entire book. I was recently at the library and in a bit of a hurry and asked for a recommendation. My good Library Lady Shelia said this had come with great recommendations but admitted she hadn't read it. Being in a hurry and lazy I took it home with me despite premonitions of disappointment based on the back cover mention of the author ...more
Melissa
May 15, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
This was an "almost" book for me; an almost historical fiction, an almost murder mystery, an almost His Girl Friday-esque heroine...you get my drift. All those things drew me to read this free Amazon Kindle book, but all those aforementioned elements were executed mediocre at best. Perhaps I am too harsh a critic, since other reviewers seemed to like it, but that is my opinion, take it or leave it.

Regarding the heroine, I felt like she was so inconsistent. She had this vibe as the independent ne
Jenny Q
May 15, 2012 Jenny Q rated it really liked it
This gets big thumbs up for the setting: Louisville, KY, 1855; and for the characters and the storyline: dueling newspaper editors set against the political unrest of the day. It gets bumped down a notch because the lovebirds did confess their love without knowing much about each other and emotions were "exploding" out of eyes all over the place, but it was a good read with some often overlooked historical substance, full of conflict and tension, and hard to put down.
Margaret Chind
Jul 23, 2015 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Margaret by: Donna Hausler
Never were words spoken so true... *sigh* Is that not something that you just love, after reading a book that interruptions left you thirsting for more, where each page could not turn fast enough to bring what was next, but you wanted to take your time to soak it all in. Oh what a character I have found in Blake Garrett and while I was a fan of Adriane Darcy from page one, goodness what a great cast!

As you can tell from the back cover book blurb, Adriane agrees to marry Stanley Coleman, a man sh
Rebecca
Dec 15, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
A well-deserved five stars; this story has a wonderful blend of fabulous characters, interesting history, captivating suspense, heart-throbbing romance and poignant spiritual encouragement.

Adrianne Darcy is a force to be reckoned with; beautiful on the outside and a fierce competitor on the inside. But Adrianne's spirit is being strangled within a choke-hold of expectations by the one person whom she holds dearest; her beloved father; owner and editor of one of Louisville's most prestigious new
Caitlyn
90% through and all appears well, then out of the blue Chapter 28, happens. Well, I started reading a "chaste" romance novel and I'm pretty sure that sexual scene goes against it. Needless to say when you through a random scene like that in a book, you automatically increase the maturity rating. If I wanted to read books with that content, I would grab a ROMANCE novel that doesn't appear chaste, but I don't enjoy that content in books I read. Basically, all I wanted was a clean and enjoyable ...more
Nicole
Nov 23, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mature readers (for adult content)
This book was on its way to earning 5 stars, but in the end I had to give it 4...maybe 3.5.

What I liked: The plot was amazing! There was so much conflict and tension surrounding the romance it was hard to put the book down. It captured my attention from page 1 all the way to the end, and kept me guessing (or growling in frustration) almost the whole way.

BUT...

What I didn't like: In the second half of the book, there is a period of mature content. I've read other books that cut short such scenes
Leann
Typically with Christian romances, I read them because I want a bit of mindless reading that is escapist, but all the while I'm hating myself for reading such poorly written drivel and I decide I will not review the book on Goodreads because I'm too embarrassed to admit I read it. Further, as I try to become a novelist, as I read I constantly edit and recall bits of writing advice that the book is failing to live up to.

This one was different. It is the first book in recent memory where I got so
Amber Stokes
Jan 15, 2016 Amber Stokes rated it really liked it
Starting out as a sweet and interesting historical romance, Words Spoken True turns into more of an historical romantic suspense, from the political-clash-turned-street-fight to mysterious murders and obsessive suitors. This story about dueling journalists is intriguing and gripping!

From the moment they meet, Adriane Darcy and Blake Garrett are drawn to each other. But the fact that they write for competing newspapers - not to mention Adriane's supposedly necessary engagement to Stanley Jimson -
Kav
Feb 19, 2012 Kav rated it it was amazing
This is an oh-my-goodness-but-you-have-to-read-this-NOW kind of book. Seriously incredibly good. Riveting, in fact. The kind that you won't want to put down.

Rich in historical detail and fascinating facts, it propelled me back into an unfamiliar part of history and left me raging with fury and frustration more than a few times. Talk about engaging your readers! My blood is still boiling!

Adriane Darcy is a heroine to be reckoned with; a character full of complexities. She is conflicted between du
Paula-O
Sep 17, 2013 Paula-O rated it it was amazing
Ann Gabhart outdid herself on this novel, "Words Spoken True"

I loved the story of Adriane Darcy as she grew up in her fathers shadow around the pressroom, you see he was a newspaper man, they say that this little girl could set type at a young age.
This woman stands ready to defend her daddy's newspaper no matter what, even if it means losing out on Love.
Yes, romance comes into the picture with Blake Garrett, a brash young editor from the North with a controversial style of reporting, he works at
Anne Osterlund
Oct 20, 2012 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it
Adriane is her father’s daughter. A reporter. A writer. And loyal from head to toe to the legacy her father has built as the editor of the Louisville Tribune.

When she is informed that he has accepted an offer for her hand in marriage to Stanley Jimson, the son of the powerful leader of the Know Nothing political party, Adriane assumes her father is mistaken. That he has misinterpreted her affections. And that she need only ask to delay the announcement.

Then she learns that the Tribune is in debt
Angelc
Dec 05, 2013 Angelc rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this author's books set in the fictional Shaker village, so I was excited to read this book set in 1800's Louisville. However, this book just didn't have enough to differentiate it from the crowd of Christian historical fiction for me. It was a solid historical tale, and I appreciated the subtle Christian message that was never overbearing. It just didn't have the oomph that I expected.

The historical setting and newspaper business definitely takes over more of the story
Loraine Nunley
Nov 25, 2015 Loraine Nunley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle
This story was a good mix of love, mystery and historical background. It was very interesting to read about the political climate during this time frame in history and the impact that the newspapers had at the time. Add to that two strong leading characters and it held my attention up until the end, as the back of the book promised.
Kim
Sep 08, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Sometimes you just need a quick, easy read that is light and predictable, this fit the bill. The characters were likable and I loved the setting. I'm fascinated by the political racism created by the know nothing's and the frenzy newspapers could cause. This book touched a little on both those things although it definitely wasn't the key part of the story.
Tanx
Mar 12, 2016 Tanx rated it really liked it
Nice read, just take note that the last 30% of the book is very romance heavy,
avoid it if this type of thing bothers you.
Otherwise, go ahead and grab this book, I love the setting of competing newspaper mills!
Rachel Brand
GENRE: HISTORICAL ROMANCE
PUBLISHER: REVELL
PUBLICATION DATE: FEBRUARY 01, 2012
RATING: 4.5 OUT OF 5 – EXCELLENT

PROS: Unconventional father figure; excellent historical detail; perfect portrayal of romance and chemistry between the hero and heroine

CONS: Romance relies too much on the premise of “love at first sight”

Adriene Darcy has worked alongside her father in the printing room for his newspaper since she was a young girl, and now that she’s of an age to be married, she would still rather be se
Larisha
Dec 03, 2016 Larisha rated it liked it
This was my 1st time reading a book by author, Ann H. Gabhart. This story was unique and enjoyable to read. While it's a historical novel, there was a lot of suspense, in part because of the serial killer named "The River Slasher" and trying to catch him/her.

Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

Love is a light that keeps the darkness of evil at bay. However, memories of fear in a dark closet and echoes of the words—God does not listen to bad girl’s prayers—rules Adriane Darcy’s response to many things that happen. In spite of this psychological hang-up, Adriane is a strong twenty-two-year-old woman who uses her unique talents as she helps her father, Wade Darcy, run the Tribune, a popular newspaper in mid-nineteenth century
Colleen Mertens
Oct 10, 2016 Colleen Mertens rated it it was ok
This is a love story with a triangle involving figuring out who really is right for you against the backdrop of the pre-Civil War South. A series of murders and their investigations in the newspapers of the time keep the plot moving. At times the story became a little predictable.
Lisa Johnson
Nov 03, 2014 Lisa Johnson rated it it was amazing
Title: Words Spoken True
Author: Ann H. Gabhart www.annhgabhart.com
Pages: 368
Year: 2012
Publisher: Revell
Note: This blogger gratefully acknowledges the gift of the book for the review signed by the author. Other reviews are located at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspo...

Do you like history? How do you like to read historical events? Some like to read history in biographical form, others in autobiographical. There are some who like to read small pieces of history too. However, what about a his
S. Wideman
Feb 04, 2014 S. Wideman rated it it was ok
I'll be honest, I stopped 30% the way in. It was dragging way too much and Adriane made me want to break my Kindle. The opening pulled my attention, but then went limp real quick. I was promised a book about a feisty woman who worked in a newspaper back in the late 1800s and her romance with a rival editor and a serial killer. That is not what I was finding and I do not have the patience to read another 30% to see where it "picks up", as most of the other reviewers seem to say it would.

Adriane
Siobian
Adriane Darcy is not a lady by any stretch of the imagination: she works at The Tribune (her father's newspaper), she hates going to parties and socials, and she is very outspoken about what she does and does not like. Yet somehow, she turned the head of well-to-do Stanley Jimson and now he wants her to marry him. Though this may seem like the answer to a prayer, she doesn't really love Stanley, however her father has already agreed and cannot understand why Adriane is so reluctant. While in the ...more
Debbie Phillips
Oct 15, 2013 Debbie Phillips rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Married Christian Women
I enjoyed this book. But I first want to say that I do not recommend it for young women, especially single women. I found this book to be very dark and violent in it's themes. Riots, civil disorder, and murder. Also, there is a scene or two with a newlywed Christian couple that my daughters would NOT want to read. It is true. These things happen in this world. And, things do work out in the end. But, I don't recommend this book for unmarried young ladies. Those who don't mind the violence and ...more
Victor Gentile
Feb 22, 2012 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
Ann H. Gabhart in her new book, “Words Spoken True” published by Revell takes us to Louisville, Kentucky in 1855.
From the Back Cover:

Adriane Darcy was practically raised in her father’s newspaper offices. With ink in her veins she can’t imagine life without the clatter of the press and the push to be first to write the news that matters. Their Tribune is the leading paper in Louisville in 1855.

When Blake Garrett, a brash young editor from the North with a controversial new style of reporting, ta
Mikaylah Brooke Hansen
Jan 26, 2013 Mikaylah Brooke Hansen rated it it was amazing

This novel was a treat. A very historical, enlightening treat. It was delightful, and bubbling with amazing historical intrigue, and the research in this historical romance (very Christian) novel was accurately interesting. There are a couple moments in the novel I was disappointed with, but considering some of the certain circumstances, it really couldn't be helped but to describe it. (But the situation was described purely, and perfectly) I would have to suggest that this is the best of Ann H
Faye
Mar 27, 2012 Faye rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like more subtle adventures
Ink flies, political powers battle, and love triumphs against the back of wars of the press in the mid -1800's

Adriene Darcy is the daughter of Louisville's top newspaper editor of the Tribune, and Blake Garrett is the editor of the Herald, the rival paper. Sparks fly back and forth between the two papers, and between Adriene and Blake. Though they find it hard to deny their mutual attraction to each other, they must. Not only are from opposite sides of the news industry, Adriene is engaged to t
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Nov 20, 2014 10:51AM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 12:33PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 2 2 Sep 27, 2014 01:36PM
Christian Histori...: Ann H Gabhart Giveaway! 1 8 Apr 23, 2012 10:50AM
  • Prize of My Heart (Sea Heroes of Duxbury)
  • Heart's Safe Passage (The Midwives, #2)
  • The Messenger
  • Before the Scarlet Dawn (Daughters of the Potomac, #1)
  • Sweeter Than Birdsong (Saddler's Legacy, #2)
  • Summer of Promise (Westward Winds, #1)
  • The Rose of Winslow Street
  • The Colonel's Lady
  • A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero #1)
  • Skip Rock Shallows (Copper Brown, #3)
  • Promise Me This
  • Her Good Name
  • Unending Devotion (Michigan Brides, #1)
  • Wings of a Dream
  • Love's Rescue (The Sierra Chronicles #1)
  • Wedded to War (Heroines Behind the Lines, #1)
  • Gentleman of Her Dreams (Ladies of Distinction, #0.5)
  • Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County, #1)
Ann H. Gabhart grew up on a farm in Kentucky. By the time she was ten she knew she wanted to be a writer. She's published over twenty novels. She and her husband have three children and nine grandchildren. She still lives on a farm not far from where she grew up. She loves playing with her grandkids, walking with her dog, reading and, of course, writing. Her Shaker books, set in her fictional ...more
More about Ann H. Gabhart...