Start by marking “Splintering” as Want to Read:
Splintering

Splintering

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  34 reviews
From the remarkable author of the PUSH bestseller YOU REMIND ME OF YOU, a searing novel in poems about a family falling apart after a violent assault.

It's about the aftermath. It's about what happens after a stranger breaks into a house and attacks a family. It's about the sisters who must barricade themselves behind a splintering door while tethered on the phone to 911. I
Published April 1st 2005 by Push (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Splintering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Splintering

Crank by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsGlass by Ellen Hopkins
Novels in Verse
118th out of 238 books — 560 voters
Crank by Ellen HopkinsWhat My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya SonesI Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa SchroederChasing Brooklyn by Lisa SchroederImpulse by Ellen Hopkins
Best YA Novels in Verse
68th out of 86 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna
Jan 23, 2011 Anna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: one of my students
This was okay but not great. I agree with some of the other reviewers who said that the alternating narratives (in two different fonts) were confusing. It took me a while to figure out that both Paulie (the girl) and her brother (what was his name...?) were telling two different versions of the same story. Once I figured that out the next obstacle for me was that the storytelling just wasn't very engaging. I didn't really care for Paulie and Evan. I didn't care for Mimi and Matthew. I didn't lik ...more
Shelley Daugherty
How does a family survive a break in? A novel in verse about a family's struggle to overcome the fear and anxiety of living through a break in by a drug enraged man. This shows how even mental struggles remain after the incident and what lengths we go to to feel "normal" again.
Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)
Splintering is told in series of 1-2 page poems. It's a story about family and the aftermath of what some may describe as a tragedy. The poems alternate from Paulie, the 15 year old daughter/sister, and Jeremy, the high school senior son/brother. The book is a very quick read at 184 pages, but the message is so intense and raw that it cannot be ignored.

I found this book to be tragically moving and rooted so deeply within the psyche of these teens that I was enthralled with it. Corrigan presents
Monica!
I would recommend this book (written in verse, about a family dealing with the aftermath of a crackhead break-in), with the caveat that you'll end up hating all the adult characters. Seriously, I realize that the book was centered around one very specific event, but the mom used to beat her fifteen-year-old daughter. Beat her. While the dad just turned a blind eye. I don't care that she "quit after she saw her battered by that bastard in Baltimore," or that Paulie feels better about her father's ...more
Angie
A family is attacked in their home by a drug crazed madman. They all survive, even though the dad has a heart attack during the attack, but they are not the same. Mom and dad see the attack as a wake up call and focus more on each other. The three kids do not do so well. Mimi, the oldest, is going through a divorce and she shuts down. She spends her days in front of the tv. Jeremy, who hid in the basement during the attack, becomes withdrawn and begins stalking a girl from school. Fifteen year o ...more
Lisa Rathbun
This story is told as a series of free verse poems, some from 15 year old Paulie and some from her older brother, after a home invasion. The shifts in points of view can be confusing as well as the flash-backs, but for the reader willing to focus, this is an intriguing way to reveal the story and to reveal the characters as well.

There are many objectionable elements: profuse profanity, drug use, and sexual references and activity. In the middle of this though, the deepest desires of the charact
Miss Bookiverse
Kurz und knapp
Eireann Corrigan hat sich einen ernsten, interessanten Sachverhalt für ihren Roman überlegt. Wenn sie mehr Worte und Seiten investiert hätte, wäre da sicher auch ein tolles Buch draus geworden, aber diese Gedankenfetzen sind einfach zu wenig, um so ein gewichtiges Thema ausführlich zu präsentieren.

Lang und breit
Mal wieder ein kleines Versbuch. Eireann Corrigan hat durchaus Talent zum Schreiben. Ihre Art der Verse sind zwar nicht besonders abwechslungsreich, enthalten aber interessa
Heidi
"Told in alternating brother-sister perspectives, this is a powerful, moving story about a family that has its facade shattered by a random act of violence and must deal with everything that is revealed underneath. As she did in You Remind Me of You, Eireann Corrigan uses poems to cut to the heart and the bone - with startling results." That's why I picked this book up. This is what the cover promised me. However, this is not what it delivered.

While I didn't hate this book, I can't say I really
Christina
This book is about a family made up of a mom, dad, and three chilren. There are two girls, and a boy. Mimi is the older sister, and Paulie is the younger sister (she's 15 years old). Jeremy is the brother, who is a senior in high school. Mimi is a beautiful young woman who is married to Matthew, and has a life that everyone envies. Then she finds out that Matthew left her for another woman. So, Paulie, Jeremy, and their parents go to visit Mimi. As the family visit at Mimi's home, someone high o ...more
Nicole
Really 3 and a half. Its a poetry book but its a bit different than the poetry books I usually read simply because it is all based upon 1 story, 1 family actually and the event that occurs that transforms them. It reads as a narrative, each poem a continuation or a response as to the previous poem or the previous scenario. It's told from two perspectives and there is no clear distinction, meaning it isn't now here is what this person thinks it's through the characters that you realize which one ...more
Kayla Eklund
The beginning of this book was very confusing. It was so confusing that I started to read it, and put it down. About six months later, I picked it back up again. After finishing it today, I'm glad that I did. I enjoyed the story after I got past the first part.
Kc
I wasn't at all impressed with this book, it's a very short book but it took me days to read because I couldn't get into it. The story line is kind of clever but it goes back and forth from past to present way too quickly and there's absolutely no quotation marks to know when the conversations end and begin. The end, however, was very good. Or maybe it was just because it was finally the end. In my opinion, I wouldn't waste time on this book. .
Terry
Jun 06, 2010 Terry marked it as abandoned
Got thirty pages in and it was getting interesting. I may go pick it up again some day, but I was so frustrated by the first twenty pages that it will be a while. Why the frustration? The narration switches between two characters and this took me longer to sort out than necessary. At least Ellen Hopkins has the courtesy to announce each new voice; Corrigan is more coy. Only after 20 pages of scratching my head and feeling dumb did I realize each speaker has his or her own font. Why'd it take me ...more
Maria Sutton
I liked the way the book is written because there are some great quotes. But, I found it a bit hard to follow at times,
Alicia Scully
A look at a family and how they're functioning after living through a home invasion. It pays special attention to Paulie, the 15 year old daughter, and Jeremy, the slightly older brother. Both have separate experiences during the attack and the book shows their different perspectives. The book, told in verse, bounces back and forth between the siblings and their thoughts. An interesting read, and one of the few that I've found that actually deals with the topic of home invasion, but there doesn' ...more
Thalianny
I liked this book because I actually felt like i was a character in the book. It made me think about why would a person do that to another. I felt so mad throughout the book because the whole family does not talk to one another and thats sad. After this tradgety that just happened i would be best friends with my sister and mother , but they got even more separated. But I absolutly loved this book and I recomend it to everyone.
bjneary
Sep 23, 2008 bjneary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA
Corrigan does a great job with this novel in verse about a family that is terrorized by a stranger hopped up on drugs and brandishing a knife. It explores the before and after effects on the three children Paulie, Mimi and Jeremy. Wow, I learned they all needed to get help after this happened and they didn't, but the outlook is hopeful for these 3 and their parents.
Aiyana
I didn't like this one nearly as much as "You Remind Me of You." Still, Corrigan has a powerful ability to tell large stories in few words. The simple free-verse paints a dramatic and believable picture of a family struggling to survive after trauma, their initial breakdowns and distancing from each other, and ultimately their drawing back together and beginning to heal.
Maren
There was too much bad language in this book for me to enjoy reading it. There was also way too much talk about sex and drug use. I realize it is very prevalent with young adults, by I didn't like reading about it. It is an interesting study in how traumatic events can affect our choices, especially in adolescence, but overall not a book I would recommend.
Rad
A verse novel that FEELS long ... and those are the WORST. Not really. I would have liked to have heard from Mimi, though. My brother also read it because I left it lying around the house and we had a good discussion on it, but for the life of me I can't remember what we said about it. Read for a YA lit class.
Melissa
I really enjoyed this book. Normally I think that novels written in verse are kind of pointless, but I think it worked for this one.
I think Corrigan was trying to do something similar to what Jodi Picoult was going for in My Sister's Keeper, except I think that Corrigan did a much better job.
Bobby
Corrigan takes you to the edge of your seat with the attack then effectively allows you to see into the minds of the two youngest characters. Her verse style is beautifully and powerful. The plot drags and seems a bit redundant in portions, but those who persevere will be highly rewarded.
Caroline
I started it.
I didn't like the writing style or the fact that they switched narrators without telling you. The only clue that someone was taking was by writing style & font.
The story was all over the place, and after about 100 pages. I put it down. Not even worth finishing.
Kate McCartney
This is told in poems. I really like when an author does this and when they are successful.

The poems are in two voices Paulie and her brother Jeremy. Remembering and recovering from a dramatic attack their family survives while visiting the oldest daughter in Baltimore.
Kristi
A stark and powerful read is only the beginning of this story. Told through poetry, the reader learns to identify the characters through shifts in voice and font. It's quick but cuts deep.
jenny lynn
It took me a while to get into this book...and to figure out it was being told in two different voices, but once I did and got into the plot, it was actually a nice read.

POETIC NOVEL!
Stacy Parrish
Aug 29, 2007 Stacy Parrish rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poets...
This book recreates one traumatic event that happens to a family in a series of poems. I thought, "An entire book about the same thing?", but I was wrong...a page turner...
Relates, in a series of poems from different perspectives, the events and after-effects of an intruder's violent attack on a family.
Tiffani
this book was filled eith action. it allowed you to get inside of each of the characters head and see what their thoughts were.
Crystal
it was an interesting format
it was a story told through multiple poems
i liked it
  • After the Death of Anna Gonzales
  • Hard Hit
  • Who Will Tell My Brother?
  • Cold Skin
  • Counting Back From Nine
  • It Crawled From The South: An R.e.m. Companion
  • Girl Coming in for a Landing
  • Orchards
Eireann Corrigan was born in 1977. She is a graduate of Sarah Lawrence College and New York University. She currently lives in New Jersey with her kitten Sumo. When she grows up, she hopes to marry Bob Dylan.
More about Eireann Corrigan...
Accomplice You Remind Me of You: A Poetry Memoir The Believing Game Ordinary Ghosts You Remind Me of You