When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)

When We Wake (When We Wake #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  2,865 ratings  ·  484 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Tegan is just like every other girl living in 2027—she's happiest when playing the guitar, she's falling in love for the first time, and she's joining her friends to protest the wrongs of the world: environmental collapse, social discrimination, and political injustice.

But on what should have been the best day of Tegan's life, she dies—and wakes up a hundr...more
Published March 5th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about When We Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When We Wake

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
193rd out of 1,498 books — 10,196 voters
Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe 5th Wave by Rick YanceyThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
76th out of 931 books — 2,088 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
What happens after death? Well for Tegan, it's another life. 100 years from now. A fascinating premise indeed! Who's not intrigued by the future? Curious about the state of our planet, the technology, even the fashion? I was really excited to get into this book and for the most part it I really enjoyed it. My problems mostly lay with the way the book came off as a big environmental/social speech.

Tegan is in love and it's all pretty and roses, then she abruptly wakes up… 100 years from now. That...more
Ai Haibara
Jan 25, 2014 Ai Haibara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Across the Universe fans-kind of
Recommended to Ai Haibara by: me judging the cover and blurb
DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE MEDIOCRE AVERAGE RATING THIS BOOK HAS BECAUSE IT IS REALLY REALLY GOOD

description

description

Honestly I did not have high hopes for this book because of it's deja vu Across the Universe storyline but this was actually really good!

So, in the year of 2027, Teegan was living the best day of her life. However, that ends abruptly when she gets shot and finds herself 100 years into the future when she wakes up from being cryonically frozen.

The world building of When we wake was explored quite well....more
Mands
When We Wake by Karen Healey is set in Melbourne, firstly in the year 2027 and later in the year 2127. In the beginning Tegan Oglietti is sixteen and on her way to a climate change protest, along with her best friend, Alex, and her new boyfriend, Dalmar. But her day doesn't go to plan and she wakes up 100 years later to find out she is the first person to successfully be awakened from a cryogenic state. She’s told she’s part of a special project to bring soldiers back to life, but she soon finds...more
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
The only reason I read this book was because of Renae's review. I couldn't have been any less interested in the book, to be honest. It sounded like another boring dystopian with a hint of ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.

I'm so happy to say that WHEN WE WAKE was different from everything I'd ever read in the genre. Dystopian and science fiction are my favorite genres, and have been ever since I was a kid. I don't often get lucky with them however and I tend to find most of my favorite books in the fantasy an...more
❤Rosa❤
I picked this book up off the shelf because, well, it was shiny. And the cover is so very, very pretty. Creepy, but the colours do look amazing together.
At first, I just couldn't get into this book. The premise just seemed too sad. To put it in perspective, I had recently read five dystopian books in a row, and without knowing it, in doing so I had filled my mind with all sorts of "We are all going to die! We are going to be taken over by a totalitarian government with horrible laws!" and of co...more
Sam
Jun 30, 2013 Sam rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle schoolers
Rating: 1.5

First things first, let's talk about what this book did well. For example, the idea behind the book was really cool. The cover design was also really great. Also, the first chapter or so was a really great start to an interesting story.

Other than that though? Just put the book down. Stop- yes stop right there. If you're expecting it to be amazing (like I was), then you need to either lower your expectations, or prepare for a rough ride.

First of all, let's talk about the main character...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

WHEN WE WAKE is a very political book, and, to a lesser degree, a very religious book. Those aren’t necessarily bad things. But when the politics and religion are preachy, it becomes much harder to enjoy the story hiding underneath.

And the story underneath is intriguing, or at least the premise is. A girl who is brought back to life a hundred years after she dies must learn to adapt to a hostile and unfamiliar world. Everything from technology to langua...more
~Tina~

It's the year 2027 in Australia - Melbourne and sixteen year old Tegan Oglietti is having a typical happy day. She's off to a political rally with her best friend Alex and new boyfriend Dalmar. The day was looking up and things couldn't be more perfect.
Till it all faded to black and Tegan woke up in the year 2128, a hundred years into the future.
A sniper was after the Prime Minister that faithful day, but he was sloppy and hit Tegan instead. She died on the way to the hospital but she...more
I enjoyed the thriller-style plot of this book but as a SF novel and as literature I felt it really fell short. The future world felt either unrealistic (they refer to portable devices as 'computers', a word which even my high school students don't use any more) or an unimaginative exaggeration of our present world. The refugee and bio-ethical issues explored are obviously relevant to present-day Australia (which is of course not an issue, as SF always reflects contemporary themes) but there's v...more
Tegan Oglietti's life in 2027 was great before she died. It was her first official date with her long time friend Dalmar when she was shot and killed. Then she woke up in 2128 and couldn't believe she had been frozen. She had checked the box on her driver's license to donate her body to science but she had meant donate organs to help people, not be frozen! After a bit of a freak out she decides it is better to be alive than dead so she will try to make the most of it.

At first the future looks gr...more
Chiara (delicate eternity)
A copy of this novel was provided by Allen and Unwin in exchange for an honest review.

To be entirely honest, I take some comfort in reading about horrible futures and dystopian societies in other countries. Not because I am a sadist and relish in their downfall. No, it’s just like: aw, yeah, Australia is just chilling down in the ocean and everything’s fine. We’re fine. We’re fine.

When We Wake is set in an Australia of the future. *cue screaming* We’re one of the superpowers, one of the only cou...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Feb 27, 2013 Christina (A Reader of Fictions) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of The Beatles
Just yesterday, series information was added to Goodreads for When We Wake. I'm so glad that happened before I wrote up this review, because, honestly, the open-ended ending might have left me rather unsatisfied if I didn't know there was going to be more. Plus, I'm just excited there will be more, because When We Wake was a delight all the way through, populated with lovable characters, science-fictiony goodness, and references to The Beatles.

Before I get into the serious plot stuff, I have to...more
Braiden
At first sight When We Wake will call out for you, its bright, sharp, and almost white cover standing out on the shelf amongst the other covers, too dark in comparison. What the cover of When We Wake achieves is a sense of questioning already in the reader, and once the words ‘cryogenically frozen’ in the synopsis are read and connected to the cover, there would be no going back, no putting Karen Healey’s new science fiction offering back on the bookshop shelf. When We Wake provides a quite diff...more
curious little beastie
An enjoyable read overall, yet far from action-packed. But I thought it was great that it took more of the character-based type of story, and it's very clear that the action is saved for the books that are to come in the series. And I also really loved how the future looked in this book because the author didn't glamorize it or add any ridiculous and over-the-top things.

A small scene that touched me is when one of the characters in the book, a Muslim girl, talked about her ex-girlfriend so free...more
Alex
"When We Wake" by Karen Healey is book 1 of the series. The next book "While We Run" will be released in May 2014. It is young adult scifi and reasonably well done.

The story: Tegan is a young high school student who is going to a rally in present-day Australia with her boyfriend when a shot rings out. She awakens in the twenty-second century, revived from a cryogenic sleep and the world has not become better. Just different.

Any problems with this story? Well... it depends. The book takes a middl...more
Chally
This book would have been a million times better if Karen had LISTENED TO ME and changed the end to my wedding to Bethari. Also, the best bit is the acknowledgements, and I recommend that you read them first.

(But seriously this book is great and I was very chuffed to be an early reader of it.)
Megan
I just finished and am unsure of how I feel about this book. The beginning was excellent and drew me in immediately. However my interest began to wane halfway into it and by the time I reached the end I was puzzled by the story.

The way the story is told is interesting but by the end, when you then know most of everything that has happened up to that point, it doesn't make sense that some things were included.

There's a very strong preachy feel to this book, that everyone (or almost everyone) from...more
Allie
Interesting.

I mean, sometimes I feel like the socio-political situations are fully fleshed out in dystopian books (especially YA), but in the case of Healey's book, When We Wake, I felt like I was attending some weird, ultra-liberal indoctrination ceremony. Multiple people have criticized this book for being too preachy, and I completely agree. I am obviously a conservative fuddy duddy compared to the ways some people think.

It was exciting to see the imagined global implications of our energy...more
Jenni Arndt
When we wake was a book I knew I had to get my hands on. From the moment I saw the stunning white cover I was so curious about what was inside. I don’t know how many times I have said this but I am going to say it once again, white covers are the best! On a shelf they POP amongst all the blacks & reds. I used to be a sucker for a cover that had red on it but now that is everywhere so it doesn’t get me as excited. I suppose one day this will happen with white covers... hmmm... Anyway, the boo...more
Jo
What an amazing voice Tegan has. I loved her from the first page right up until the last. It was very distinctive and spunky. It was a delight to read her story. I also loved that it was set in Australia. I have never been there, but my husband has, and I am very jealous.

The themes were many and complex in Tegan's story. What exactly constitutes life and who has the right to it? It is debated quite a bit whether Tegan deserves life after being revived. She has definite feelings on the...more
Stefan
I read some great YA novels last year, but also a few less than impressive ones. In my reviews, I explained my reservations about the novels I didn’t like in some detail. At one point, I started to wonder whether I was being too hard on them, because, after all, those books are aimed at a younger audience. Is it fair to set the same expectations for YA as for books aimed at mature readers? Looking back, I even mentioned in some reviews that I clearly wasn’t the target demographic for these novel...more
Melani
Nicole
Guys! It’s more Australian dystopic fiction! (I mean, technically it is Australian dystopic fiction. Karen Healey is from New Zealand, but W3 takes place in Melbourne.)

Australian! Dystopic! Fiction! With a pretty cover! And oh, so many Beatles references!

Ahem.

In 2027, seventeen-year-old Tegan Oglietti is having a great day: The boy she has long loved from afar has just professed his love for her; she has a happy home life with her mom and older brother; and she, her boyfriend, and her best frien...more
Miffy
When a book makes you cry in public (on a train, actually) then life is good.
Tegan is dead. She has been 'revived' 100 years after her death. And it's not going well.
I really, really enjoyed this book. An interesting take on a future in which some things are better (social equality) and others are worse (refugees and climate change), where dead people can be revived, and where The Beatles will always, always be the best band ever.
Tegan is a great character - feisty and determined, and also unsur...more
Montana G.
When We Wake had an extremely creepy premise. I'm not a huge fan of creepy stories, so I think that contributed to me not enjoying the book as much as I was hoping to. When We Wake showed just how scary both the government's power and science can be.

When We Wake starts off in 2027, present day for the main character- Tegan. After she dies, the next thing she knows, she ends up waking up 100 years in the future. She is (justifiably) very freaked out. I liked Tegan as a character, but the fact tha...more
Francesca
2.5/5

Potentially good, but not very well executed and too much sticky romance.
Ashelynn
Feb 15, 2012 Ashelynn marked it as to-read
oh. my. god.

LOOK AT THAT SUMMARY.

SQUEE.
William Powell
When We Wake (Nebula/Andre Norton shortlist). This is my benchmark for the SFWA 2014 Nebula YA category (aka Andre Norton). It's a good start, with an interesting premise, which I don't regard as a spoiler, as it's on the front cover, that the protagonist, Tegan, is brought back to life after being killed and frozen.

The book - set in Australia - falls into 3 parts, with a short part 1, a snapshot of the day she dies and the friends she's about to leave, and some of the skills she may (or may not...more
Fiction_TheNewReality
Characters: I feel like Tegan's character was just really confusing. When We Wake had a lot of LGBT backgrounds, and I wasn't sure if Tegan actually fit into this "category." Basically, I wondered if she was straight. Not only did she say "I love you" to Maria, who was more of a friendly figure than a maternal figure, but she also was questioned heavily but her lesbian friend, Bethari. I wish Karen Healey could have made it more clear whether or not Tegan was bisexual, just so the reader has an...more
Michael Melilli
I was going to give this book 3 stars, right up till the last chapter. I won't give anything away but I'm getting a little tired of ambiguous endings. I don't think authors should spoon-feed the reader, I'm fine with having to think about things, but just cutting a story off before it resolves is a cop out. It'd be like ending Harry Potter with Voldemort and Harry raising their wands, finally reaching that ultimate battle, then...bumBUM!!! The End. (UPDATE: I added a third star to my review now...more
  • Coda (Coda #1)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • A Matter of Days
  • Orleans
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • The Summer Prince
  • The Culling (The Torch Keeper, #1)
  • Pulse (Pulse, #1)
  • Wasteland (Wasteland, #1)
  • Alex As Well
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Doomed
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • The Different Girl
  • The Murmurings
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
Karen Healey writes books about tough girls with brains and interesting boys with secrets. She likes nail art, superheroes, and musical soundtracks. She technically lives in New Zealand, but really lives on the Internet.
More about Karen Healey...
Guardian of the Dead The Shattering While We Run (When We Wake, #2) Teen Movie Times The Unicorn Bell

“No matter how much money he'd been offered or how many glittering stars had requested duets, he hadn't sung for them.
But he'd sung for me.”