Start by marking “Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)” as Want to Read:
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6)

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  23,356 ratings  ·  2,143 reviews
Mercenary Kate Daniels narrates a surprising trip with her bite-me humor. The pack of her mate Curran, werelion Beast Lord, need rare medicine from Europe to save children who die from stuck shapeshifting. Europe offers them barrels of the drug if they guard a spoiled princess. Knowing the invite is a trap, of course they sail right in.
Mass Market Paperback, 327 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Ace Berkley Penguin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Rises, please sign up.

Katie It doesn't make a lot of sense, first of all Lorelei could push for a quicker death if she thought she was succeeding and secondly, he left Kate alone…moreIt doesn't make a lot of sense, first of all Lorelei could push for a quicker death if she thought she was succeeding and secondly, he left Kate alone more often which isn't particularly helpful in protecting someone if that's indeed your motive.

I just didn't buy it. To make matters worse what the hell was with the forgiveness scene. Like, she's genuinely upset and taking a step back which I think is well deserved, curran didn't even warn her or anyone and he totally embarrassed her in terms of pack politics. Then, it's all good because he was jealous of Hugh and also he's the alpha so it doesn't matter if he embarrasses someone politically apparently only if the slight is to him (like Derek having to swear a blood oath and the bullshit of the first few books).

Ugh I love them but I hated them in this book, a lot. I didn't even get excited about the proposal or the ring.(less)

Okay, before everyone freaks out, let me explain something here. My modus operandi for reading books I’m really looking forward to is to go into them blind. I don’t read reviews, I ignore status updates from friends, and sometimes, I don’t even read the book blurb. So that’s what I did going into this. I ignored everyone and everything.

Don’t do that.

You need to prepare yourself. There’s a lot of fucking drama in this book. For me, too much drama. I spent over two hundred pages feeling
Oct 08, 2015 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Angela by: myself
20 July 2014: $1.99 on Kindle

Seriously - this whole series is on sale. I love it so much. HIGHLY recommended. The next book comes out in a little over a week.

I highly, highly recommend avoiding all spoilers for this book. Read it fresh. I promise there aren't spoilers in my review below. The spoiler tags just note stream-of-consciousness thoughts I had.., If you don't want to know anything other than I loved it - Read no further. Fair warning ;)

Once upon a time, I'd never read anything b
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Is it too early to post this? Probably. But it was so damn good. Here is the review:

Ilona Andrews is the gold standard for urban fantasy. This book made me laugh and it made me ache. It kept me glued to the page. And after six installments, Kate Daniels is every bit as engaging as ever... maybe even more so.

You get to a point in almost every series where the gang takes a road trip --and this is that book. All of the core characters are there: Kate, Curran, Derek... Andrea, Rafael, and even Saima
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
First of all, it's still amazing to me how the Andrews can reduce you to tears over peripheral characters with just a few sentences.

One minute you're fine, then the next you're, "Well, that sucks," and then your face gets warm, your eyes get hot, and before you even know what's happened, you're blubbering.

YES. Blubbering.

Why are you blubbering?

B/c a mother gets down on the floor to sing her child, who will more-than-likely have to be killed b/c she's gone rabid, a lullaby, barely able to choke o
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Not impressed. I've never given an Ilona Andrews book less than 3 stars before but there was just too much WTFery in Magic Rises to rate it any higher. I loved all the earlier Kate Daniels books, they had the right balance of plot, action, romance and humour. Sadly, Magic Rises was a complete mess.

Random thoughts:

-What's what: Pack kids go loup, need medicine, loads of melodrama, Kate/Curran offered medicine and in exchange must protect pregnant shifter (Desendra), Kate and g
Robin (Bridge Four)
3rd read....I never get enough.

Kate Daniels Buddy Read/Reread with the gang at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA) before the release of Magic Shifts

I loved this all over again. The emotional development of Kate/Currans relationship, Saiman as an ally, Hugh as an Enemy and all the side character that are so rich with their own personalities that always shine through. I eat it all up and want more. This is one of my favorite series of all time and that stays true even on the 3rd read through.

2nd read:
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)
First Read: October 2014 - Five Stars
Second Read: July 2015 - Five Stars

I'm keeping my original rating and still think this is my favorite after the third book. Hugh steals the show in this one and is such an awesome and sexy villain. The angst with Curran and Kate seemed unnecessary, but it didn't overpower the story. Thankfully, there was plenty going on and that wasn't focused on too much.

This one really has a lot of fantastic scenes and dialogue. I just love it!!!

Re-read with Ilona Andrews
LethalLovely~I Slept in Last Night's Clothes & Tomorrow's Dreams
I was reading a few older Ilona Andrews blog posts tonight (yes, that's my idea of a good time on a Wendnesday night) and I came across one where they were talking about how a fan almost fainted when she saw them and how it wasn't a big deal. At first, I snickered to myself...but then I thought, what would I do if I saw IA? I WOULD TOTALLY FUCKING FAINT. And then, while I was lying all broken and pathetic on the floor, they would crouch down to see if I was okay. And THEN I would rear up like fu ...more
Jessie Mihalik
Disclaimer: I received this book as an eARC from the author.

Holy shit. That's my reaction to this book--in a good way!

This entire book is full of spoilers, which makes reviewing it a little difficult. Kate is very Kate. Curran is very Curran. At some points I was hoping Kate would punch Curran straight in the face. Sadly, that never happened.

It was really interesting to see a large chunk of the group in a new setting. It was enough people that sometimes I had to think about who was who, but ov

Gunmetal Magic made me a little bit afraid to continue reading this series - I liked Andrea as Kate's sidekick and I was looking forward to reading her story, but unfortunately, it ended up as weakest book so far.
Magic Rises started slow and I needed some time to get into the story, but it was worth it. Sixth book redeemed Gunmetal Magic - plot development, characters, world building - absolutely flawless.
Yes, I was so mad at Curran, I wanted to smack his smug lio
Aug 12, 2013 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of UF, strong heroines
Good heavens, most of the reviews GR shows on the first page are so full of fangirl squeeing that I can't read for the gifs and shouting fonts. It makes me want to hate the book out of naturally iconoclastic tendencies. However, as the Andrews continue to write a first rate urban fantasy series, I am unable to indulge--although I confess I did not reach squee-worthy heights.

The briefest of synopsis: Curran and Consort are invited to Europe to protect a pregnant were involved in a major dispute b
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
After no less than 26 agonizing months, Magic Rises, the long-awaited sixth installment in the Kate Daniels series is finally here. Breaths are being held, bets are being placed, hearts are beating faster all over the world. Fans of the series are both numerous and ridiculously loyal, but will they be disappointed, whether they voice it or not?

Honestly, I’d have to judge that on a case-by-case basis. Early reactions have been very enthusiastic. Most reviewers have nothing but high praise to sha
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)

WARNING! This review contains a large dose of fan girl squealing a little bit of gushing ( not in that way you perv!) and is weighed down completely by boulders of crazy fan bias. Enjoy.

Magic Rises brings us to the sixth book in the Kate Daniels series and the gang have decided to take a little road trip to Europe. Okay, so decided isn't precisely the right word to use "forced" would be a more accurate description. The European packs have something that Kate and Curran desperately need, a medi
Jo ★The Book Sloth★

Color me surprised. This book went up to the first place along with Magic Strikes. They are by far my favorite in the series. (Okay, not all that far since I love them all.)

Major Spoilers, Proceed With Care.

What an emotional and action packed ride this book proved to be. I'd read a few reviews that talked about all the relationship drama between Kate and Curran and that made me reluctant to read it. I was afraid that I would hate it and then I'll feel sorry that one more favorite series went d
Duchess Nicole
This was one of those books that pisses you off so badly, but the writing and the story, the continual world building and characterization, the developing personalities of everyone involved simply can't be ignored. Even though I was floored at a certain someone (Ahem, Curran!), I can't help but be amazed. This is a world I love to live in, and that's what Ilona Andrews does...they make you LIVE this book. Fantastic writing, simply fantastic.

In this installment, Kate and Curran are prompted to go
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
4.5 's

Kate and Curran are offered a deal to arbitrate a dispute between some European shifters in exchange for panacea. They know they are walking into a trap but they really have no choice. The medicine helps shifter children from going loup.

What started out as your usual Kate kicks @ss and takes no prisoners soon evolved into an emotional slugfest. I wasn't sure that my heart could take it! And this is where I had to knock off a half star. It just didn't ring true to me. I understand how Kat
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

Curran is made an offer he cannot refuse. To do so would be to give up his title of Beast Lord of Atlanta shapeshifters. It is obvious from the very beginning the offer is a trap, but the only option for him is to walk straight into it. And so the company of Atlanta shapeshifter heavyweights and Kate head to a Caucasian village for a glorified bodyguard job. Their main goal is to survive.

I really like this book. It firmly belongs to the c
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

Previous rating: 5
New rating: 12
. Hell yeah.

Get on boat.

Say hi to the dolphins pirates.

Get off boat.

Crappy yet (hopefully) musical review to come.

Magic Bites (only because there are no 8-star ratings on GR)
Magic Burns (only because there are no 8-star ratings on GR)
Magic Strikes (only because there are no 15-star ratings on GR)
Magic Bleeds (only because there are no 10-star ratings on GR)
Magic Slays (only because there are no 8-star ratings on GR)
Magics Breaks (only becaus
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Reviewed for Fresh Fiction

Ilona Andrews has penned the best book in the Kate Daniels series to date with MAGIC RISES. Mercenary, Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran aka the Beast Lord are faced with a crisis that is taking the lives of the Pack's beloved shapeshifting children. Their small bodies are unable to control their beast sides, resulting in tragic deaths. They learn that there is a medicine that can help them. However, it lies heavily guarded in the European packs far away from their home
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Mild spoilers, which are conveniently hidden in spoiler tags, ahead.

This was a bumpy ride. A ridiculously fun yet painful ride. Let me start by saying that I’m pretty much crazy about Ilona Andrews’ books. Kate Daniels is between my most favorite series ever. I’m not exaggerating, it really is. I’ve been waiting for this book, like all of you guys, I’m sure, for about a year. Some of my Goodreads friends got the ARC a month before the release. I hated them. Still kind of do. I’ve been avoiding
Kenya Wright

I won't do spoilers!

I'll just be so annoyingly vague to the point you (who haven't read the book) will feel stupid (which you should for not reading the book. . .Alicia W Brewster!)!

Before I get into my FANGIRL FRENZY. Let's do a moment of silence for someone dear to my heart who passed away in this book!

The person who passed away brought such great entertainment to the stories, and was one of the most unique characters in the urban fantasy genre.

You will be missed!!

I lo
First Re-read. 7/20/14
My original review below was written in the wee hours of the morning, immediately after a marathon session of reading this book as soon as it had landed on my kindle. I was in a sleep deprived and -- I can admit it -- in a somewhat emotionally unstable state of mind. (Haha, and as proof of how sleep deprived I was when I wrote it, I see that instead of “panacea,” I had called it pancetta. Lol, I’m not gonna edit my review to correct that, cuz it totally just made me laugh.
⊱ Irena ⊰
I will not read the next Kate Daniels book description nor will I read any reviews. Those completely ruined this book for me.

These are just some of my thoughts about the book. I don't plan to write a review.

The following are not exactly spoilers since I am not writing about the actual events, but still be warned.

Since I sometimes rate the books I've read by how they made me feel, this would be less than one star. The characters, the world and the story deserve the highest rating, although
the ending of this book in one gif:

but maybe my perception is colored by the COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY DEATH OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTER.

*rude gesture*
Magic Rises takes us on another great journey to the Kate Daniel’s universe where magic randomly overcomes technology and mythical creatures again walk the Earth. This time, that journey is a literal one as Kate and Curran and an entourage of trusted pack members head to Europe to guard a pregnant wolf-shifter.

Saying that Curran’s last visit with the European packs did not go well is a gross understatement, but with the nearly impossible to obtain ‘panacea’ - the only cure for shifter children
Aug 02, 2013 Brandi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the series, and anyone who likes shifters and badasses
Recommended to Brandi by: Myself
Shelves: favorites

Being six books into a series I love, it's hard to not give it a full five stars, because even though I had an issue with part of this storyline, I can't help but group judge it as a series. It's a weakness.

Stop judging me.

During the long two year wait between my beloved Kate and Curran, I've found many a heroine that kicks some ass, but none of my other favorite women can come close to Kate. Kate is just more, and I love her for it. "What the fuck," [He] snarled. "Look at her, she's half-dead
“One word,” he whispered, his voice taut with suppressed anger. “Say one word, and I’ll rip him apart. He won’t see the sunrise.” I looked into his eyes and realized he would.

I feel like I have been waiting FOREVER for MAGIC RISES. I think I've been going totally insane for my Curran and Kate fix! But don't worry I am okay, I finally got that bloody book in my paws! YEEESSHHHH! Okay, enough about my nut of a self. MAGIC RISES was definitely a tad bit different from the previous books in the Ka
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Source: Library Checkout

*Considering this is the 6th installment, it's highly possible there are spoilers for the previous books in the series. Beware!*

I've been highly anticipating this latest installment forever. I blew threw the first five books practically all in a row and I've been hurting since. While this is quite possibly my least favorite of the series it's STILL good. This series is why I love Urban Fantasy as much as I do and even though it had it's flaws this
All's well that ends well, I suppose. Doubt I'll be reading book 7 though.

P.S. I'm using the GR interpretation for 2 stars here - it was okay.
Kate and Curran set off for Europe to obtain the panacea for counteracting the effects of the Lyc-V virus that causes many shifters to go loup. In exchange, they must arbitrate a disagreement between two packs. While they know it's likely a trap, it's worth the risk if they can save one of Julie's friends and bring peace of mind to the shape shifters of their pack.

I was riveted to this story from the onset. The political intrigue, exciting confrontations and twists/surprises all made for an out
A Million More Pages: 6 - Magic Rises (Kate Daniels): May 20 53 30 May 31, 2015 05:22PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 13 15 May 06, 2015 09:18AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 24 14 Mar 25, 2015 09:18AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 6 10 Mar 25, 2015 05:27AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 10 10 Mar 25, 2015 05:23AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 5 9 Mar 24, 2015 12:03AM
  • Curran POV Collection
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Heart of Obsidian  (Psy-Changeling, #12)
  • Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)
  • Broken Soul (Jane Yellowrock, #8)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #10)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)

“Aha! So I’m not crazy.”
“You are most definitely crazy,” Derek said. “But in a deranged, endearing way.”
“You’re taking a nap? Come on, Kate, I need you for this fight. Stop lying around.”
“You must think you’re funny.”
“Just saying, you have to pull your own weight. A hot body and flirting will only get you so far.”
“Everything I do, I learned from you, boy toy.”
“Boy toy?” Curran asked.
“Would you prefer man candy?”