Start by marking “History of the Britons (Historia Brittonum)” as Want to Read:
History of the Britons (Historia Brittonum)

History of the Britons (Historia Brittonum)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  9 reviews
pubOne.info present you this new edition. 1. Nennius, the lowly minister and servant of the servants of God, by the grace of God, disciple of St. Elbotus, * to all the followers of truth sendeth health.
Published December 3rd 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 828)

To ask other readers questions about History of the Britons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History of the Britons

Nikki
(Second book for the readathon. Going so slowly!)

Nennius contains one of the earliest references to King Arthur. It's a short reference -- one I've actually read in the course reader -- but I wanted to read it in context. Nothing much surprising to me in this: I know this version of history.

The Dodo Press edition isn't great. I bought it new yesterday: today one of the pages just fell right out. Great binding there, guys. The footnotes are odd, too: instead of being at the bottom of the page, th
Tracy
Concerned more with genealogies, and extensive familial lines of British Kings, Nennius' history is advisable to those with an interest in British and Anglo-Saxon history, or those with a keen desire to read one of Geoffrey of Monmouth's predecessors. For my own taste, Bede's The Ecclesiastical History of the English People is of more historical interest, and Geoffrey's History of the King of Britain is more of a rollicking good time.
Melissa
Apr 16, 2009 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Dr. Liam Felsen
Shelves: adult
As far as histories go, it's quite short. However, Nennius packs a lot of detail into his writing. I find myself wanting to read more. Nennius has also given us a detailed account of King Arthur and the battle at Mount Badon. It is important to keep in mind though, that King Arthur may not have been a historical person. This is definitely a very entertaining and complete history, but not necessarily accurate.
sologdin
proves conclusively that king arthur ruled wisely and established a liberal constitutional monarchy in the sixth century, only to be destroyed by the incompetence of the bloody romans and/or invasion by the evil germanians.
Fabio
A historical work from 830, that supposedly relates the history of the Brittonic inhabitants of Britain from earliest times, this text has been used to write a history of both Wales and England.
Nina
Though it can be questioned how much of this is really true, since it is believed that parts of it were added long after it was first written, it is nevertheless interesting reading.
Doug Ramsburg
A very important history book.
Shirley Hickman
Shirley Hickman is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Pedro Serôdio
Pedro Serôdio marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Dave Smith
Dave Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Newreadman
Newreadman marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Tessie
Tessie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Six Old English Chronicles; Of Which Two Are Now First Translated from the Monkish Latin Originals The Works of Gildas and Nennius The ruin of Britain and other works Six Old English Chronicles: Ethelwerd's Chronicle, Asser's Life of Alfred, Geoffrey of Monmouth's British History, Gildas, Nennius and Richard of Six Old English Chronicles, of Which Two Are Now First Translated from the Monkish Latin Originals: Ethelwerd's Chronicle. Asser's Life of Alfred. ... Gildas. Nennius. and Richard of Cirencester