Start by marking “How to Read Slowly” as Want to Read:
How to Read Slowly

How to Read Slowly

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Established in 1968, the Wheaton Literary Series provides insightful books for the thoughtful reader, inspiring imagination, and reflection. These beautifully produced volumes feature prose and poetry of high literary, academic, and artistic merit, written by and about Christian artists of significant stature.
Published November 24th 2010 by Shaw Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read Slowly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read Slowly

Dianne
I love this book! What's not to love in a book about reading? The authour's purpose is to help us read better for greater comprehension. He says "Our goal in reading carefully is not only to understand what is being said explicitly but to see why it is being said. We want to learn to recognize the world views of writers and speakers, and thus to know what their basic assumptions about life really are. It will help us decide what kind of attention to pay to their comments or proposals no matter h ...more
Angie Libert
The title of this book alone intrigued me. So often in our society it is reading fast that people strive for, but the longer I am a reader, the more I realize that reading slowly is the true key to literature. And so I was looking forward to this book based simply on the title, not knowing where it was going to lead.

Interestingly enough, the books overall aim is to teach us to read worldview-ish. I have just recently cued into this new key in reading, so I loved what this book presented.

The boo
Jacob Self
May 27, 2009 Jacob Self rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
In the vein of Mortimer Adler's "How to Read a Book," world view expert and professor of English and literature, James Sire has written an engaging and practical book on reading comprehension. The title is somewhat of a misnomer since the book has nothing to do with the actual speed of reading but rather the process of comprehending what we read. He covers the genres of non-fiction, poetry, and fiction with especially helpful advice on how to read them. The last chapters are dedicated to the di ...more
Scott
I would have finished this book sooner if not for three things that all contribute to why I read this book in the first place: I want to get better at helping my students understand what they can do to read, what happens when they read, why intelligent people choose to value reading on an individual and cultural level, and how to make reading a skill and an adventure not a task or an obligation.

The First Thing: My Daughters (or, No Man is That Desert Island Where You are Marooned with Only the B
Tim
This is a how-to on reading a book "worldviewishly" - that is, reading not only to understand what is being said, but why. It provides techniques on recognizing the worldview of the author. Sire presents questions the reader should ask to read actively and understand what is being said. Then he goes into the methods on gaining insight into the author's views on reality and life. Finally, Sire makes suggestions on when and what to read. This text can be used by a person from any worldview to unde ...more
Kim Voss
I read this book before I went to college. I don't know how this book ended up on my bookshelf, but there is was and one day I opened it up and wow, my mind just opened up! Sire divides writing by how to read non-fiction, fiction, poetry, etc., all with a Christian mindset. It prepared me to understand how to read all kinds of writing.
Barbara
With both instruction and example, Sire shows how to detect an author’s world view, how to read “between the lines” while not “inventing or imagining what is not really there” (p. 42), how to “track the flow” of author’s argument or reasoning process. He has a whole chapter on poetry, another on reading fiction, another on reading in context (not imprinting our current way of thinking on older books, but understanding the context in which they were written). He gives tips for how to read, what t ...more
Nancy Bandusky
In our society where more is better, the author encourages people to change their quantity of books read ("more" numbers) for a better understanding of what they've read and where the author/reader are coming from ("more" comprehension).

The author includes examples and techniques of how reading slowly and re-reading - all while thinking - will help the reader get to the meat of the material or discover the lack thereof.

The choice is there - quantity or quality.

One technique to employ that I know
Gwen Burrow
Read this (ahem) very fast.
Dawn Roberts
Previewing this for dd before she tackles a David Quine worldview study for 7-8th grade. I am somewhat intimidated at the beginning...If I am having trouble with this, how will my 12 yo do? Yet Sire's point is that good readers often re-read things, and wrestling with a piece of writing is part of the experience, not a sign of instant failure. As a Christian I tend to get depressed reading too much worldview stuff. I recognize the world's rebellion against God and I prefer not to drown myself in ...more
Roger Leonhardt
Good QUICK read :) Just kidding, it was a very good book, especially for those who love books.
Carissa Norris
This is an excellent book on learning to read! His focus is not just on reading comprehension but reading with a worldview framework, that is, reading to understand what the author is trying to say not just what we think he is saying. His examples are solid and easy to follow. This book will increase your reading comprehension ten fold!
Kathleen
changed the title to The Joy of Reading: A Guide to Becoming a Better Reader
Ralph
One to read again! Along with "The Universe Next Door", this book has helped me to begin to read and understand different perspectives. Like Adler's "How to read a book", it offers the reader insight into reading for understanding and not just information or pleasure (although both result).
Marianna
An excellent introduction to critical reading. Clear, concise, well written. The chapter on poetry is indispensable if you want to get the best out of a poem. Reads like a novel, too. If you like books about books, definitely go and get it.
Abigail
Apr 29, 2011 Abigail rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
Short, well written, very thoughtful. Highly recommended if one wants to learn how to read with understanding the various forms of writing (fiction, non-fiction, poetry) or analyze a book for its worldview. Everyone should read this book.
Clarissa
We have read portions of this for Caitlin's Worldviews study (her H.S. curriculum). I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the entire book--maybe this summer I'll have time. (that is always my dream!)
Brittany Petruzzi
The irony of my reading this book is that I did so very fast amid reading two other books (equally fast) and memorizing Latin vocab. I do remember being rather impressed.
Brent
Read this on a friend's recommendation for my grad students and I thought it was a great Christian approach to literature. My ninth-grade son wasn't as excited about it :(
Melinda
Looks like "How to Read A Book" by Mortimer Adler which we have been using for several terms in school. I look forward to how they compare.
Sheila Thoburn
Helpful in learning how to comb a book, either fiction or non, for perspective and ideas. Great teaching tool.
Bev Kimmel
Some parts of this book were beyond my capabilities. But he is a good writer and thought provoking.
Jesse Broussard
Read fast, or not at all.
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Aaron Cerda
Aaron Cerda is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Mike Ford
Mike Ford marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Reading Between the Lines
  • Invitation to the Classics: A Guide to Books You've Always Wanted to Read (Masterworks Series)
  • Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning
  • The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education
  • Unseduced and Unshaken: The Place of Dignity in a Young Woman's Choices
  • An Experiment in Criticism (Canto)
  • Assumptions that Affect Our Lives
  • The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction
  • The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling
  • The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books Matter in a Distracted Time
  • The Seven Laws of Teaching
  • The Deadliest Monster: A Christian Introduction to Worldviews
  • The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had
  • Hidden Treasures in the Book of Job: How the Oldest Book in the Bible Answers Today's Scientific Questions
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Teaching the Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style
  • A Terrible Beauty: The People and Ideas That Shaped the Modern Mind: A History
  • The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric
32063
James W. Sire is a Christian author, speaker, and former editor for InterVarsity Press.

Sire has been an officer in the Army, a college professor of English literature, philosophy and theology, the chief editor of InterVarsity Press, a lecturer at over two hundred universities around the world and the author of twenty books on literature, philosophy and the Christian faith. His book The Universe Ne
More about James W. Sire...
The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog Habits of the Mind Naming the Elephant: Worldview as a Concept Why Good Arguments Often Fail: Making a More Persuasive Case for Christ Scripture Twisting

“Life is short, but art is long. Sophocles is dead, but Oedipus lives on…Each of us when we read a great piece of literature is a little more human than befor” 2 likes
“I am most interested in encouraging Christians to think and read well. Christians, of all people, should reflect the mind of their Maker. Learning to read well is a step toward loving God with your mind. It is a leap toward thinking God’s thoughts after Him.” 2 likes