Start by marking “The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)

The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys #9)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  2,387 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews

Valuable electronic parts containing platinum are being stolen from shipments made by Stanwide Mining Equipment Company's cargo planes and Frank and Joe Hardy are called upon to assist their world-renowned detective father solve the baffling case. At Stanwide, the boys pose as employees and become suspicious of their boss's hostility towards them. Is he involved in the rac

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published February 11th 2010 by Phoenix Books, Inc. (first published January 1st 1930)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Airport Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Airport Mystery

Fino
Another exciting adventure with Frank and Joe. Often, the adventures come with new vehicles: cars, boats and most recently in #8, an iceboat! In #9, we get lots of plans including a seaplane, adventures and hijinks in an airport and an airplane parts factory as well as outdoor thrills on a mountain side, on an island and in Montana. There is even a ghost story again! A fun and joyful read and naturally, the Hardys solve the case up to the last paragraph!
Bronson
Apr 08, 2008 Bronson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot of fun to read with my 8 year old son. I haven't read Hardy Boys books since I was 12 or 13 and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. There are some funny dated parts. I like how they refer to Chet as their "portly friend" and other wise making fun of his eating habits. This was a fun mystery, great suspence and the story moves right along. I think Dan Brown could have learned a lot about mystery writing if he'd paid more attention to the Hardy Boys.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
The Hardy Boys return in another classic mystery tale from this mystery book series.
Frank
I was not disappointed with this one! I hadn’t read “Airport” since I was a kid in the 1960s so needless to say, I didn’t remember anything about the story. Some of my favorites as a kid were “Tower Treasure,” “House on the Cliff,” “Missing Chums,” and “Cabin Island”– all written by Leslie McFarlane. I don’t remember considering “Airport” as a favorite but I’m not sure why. It was a great story. It starts out with the boys going to the new Bayport airport in their roadster and being practically ...more
Nancy
Oct 26, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, childrens
My grandson is reading this series. My son-in-law mentioned that the books didn't have the "feel" of the 1920/30s which got me thinking about how updates might have changed them. To assess how the newer versions compared with the original, I picked up 2 copies of this book at a used book store. One is the original version from 1930 and the other is from 1993. I planned to give them to my grandson to read side by side to see what changes he could spot. First I would read both books. Guess what--t ...more
Michael
May 04, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! This is a review more of the series as a whole. I grew up reading the Hardy Boys and I don't think there was a single story I didn't like. I'm now re-reading the series with my son. It's great to be able to share something I loved as a boy with my next generation.

In reading the Hardy Boys again, I never realized when I was a kid that the books have all been re-writen and re-edited over the years. I'm okay with that because some of the content and terminology is a little dat
Jerry
Aug 09, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

As consistent as this series is, there isn't much I can say about this book that I haven't already said in my previous reviews. An old-school mystery; "PG"-level peril; plenty of timeless appeal. What's not to like?

Content Concerns: See above...or my previous reviews.

Score: 4/5
Leslie
My kids love the Hardy Boys audio series. This is the last in the series that is available through overdrive.com so my son (11 yrs old) checked out the next three to read aloud.
Dan Kelly
David Hardy
Jan 29, 2017 David Hardy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storyline was easy enough to follow, and the character count wasn't overwhelming. Nice touch of spookiness to this one, but not too much for either my three or seven year olds. The story also didn't wait until the end to climax as their were climaxes throughout that kept the suspense up and keeps the reader guessing what else could possibly develop.
Grace
Oct 16, 2016 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read! I loved knowing the plane terms!
Daniel Smith
Feb 10, 2016 Daniel Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Great Airport Mystery, by Franklin W. Dixon, is book 9 in the Hardy Boys series. The book is of the mystery genre, and follows two high school aged brothers named Frank and Joe. Their father is a famous detective, and they take after his knack of solving mysteries. In this particular book, the brothers take up the challenge of solving a mystery for a large firm that deals with expensive parts of machinery. Shipments of valuable parts are going missing, and Mr. Allen, the president of the fir ...more
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps. Frank Hardy is the elder of the two and has dark hair. Joe Hardy is the younger brother, and has blond hair and blue eyes. The stories are an unaging series, in which Frank and Joe are always 18 and 17 years of age, respectively. In the original series the brothers were a younger ...more
Brenda
May 01, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got my hands on one of the originals from the 1930's, which is great, but also confusing if you've been reading reprints, lets just say there is some major differences between the originals and the reprints.
One, in this book Frank and Joe have never been on a plane before. (Reprints have them taking several planes in previous books)
The cabin island mystery is mentioned in this book, but instead of medals, it was stamps that were stolen and zero mention of the missing grandson.
Also, in the
Scott Combs
Dec 11, 2015 Scott Combs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the late 60s I begged my folks to let me have a subscription to the Hardy Boys. They relented and I would receive a couple of hardbacks every few weeks. These books had no jackets and as I remember an ugly shade of red covers. I loved them and believe they were the foundation of a strong moral upbringing. I learned everything about being honest, courteous, caring and protecting from these stories. I read the first 50 stories and it brings me back to my childhood.

They are dated to today's stan
Michael
Oct 19, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Great Airport Mystery, written by Franklin W. Dixon is one of the Hardy Boys novels. This book follows Frank and Joe Hardy who get a case about missing platinum from Stanwide Mining. The platinum was suspected to be stolen, so the boys went undercover to find clues. along the way they were attack shot at and had a hand grenade thrown at them. In the end they uncovered a huge gang of workers and ex-workers in Stanwide.

This is a great mystery book with lots of action and drama. I believe that
Jeremiah
Apr 29, 2012 Jeremiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done-4
Entry 1-
The protagonists are teh Hardys and Chet. The antagonists are Peterson, Zimm, Lieber, Rodney, Bush Barney, an ex-convict, Anchor, and Rodax.

Entry 2-
THe setting s wherever the case leads the detectives. The theme is don't believe someeone is dead without proof. The point of view is third- person

Entry 3-
They take on the case from Mr. Allen, Head of Stanwide Mining Company, to fing out how things were going missing seemingly out of thin air. The ghost of Clint Hill Leads the boys to uncov
Anna
Jun 30, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2014
This was just what I was in the mood for. A blast from the past, a perfect light travel read.
I still adore Hardy Boys for all their adventures and optimism, and their adventures are at their best in these oldest stories. Oh, and this also happens around an airport, even better.
Just adorable, and the book made me giggle. Oh boy, travel and the adventures from another era.
I hope I'll never get too old for little gems like this.
Danyal Wahid
Jul 01, 2014 Danyal Wahid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been too long since I've read a hardy boys novel. This was the first series I ever read and a very important factor in my chronic book reading habit.
I was somewhat hesitant that I might not find these books enjoyable now that I've read so much and my tastes have changed but I was pleasantly surprised to find I was wrong. Just goes to show how amazing these books are.
Edward Davies
Platinum thieves and mystery planes are the basis for this Hardy Boys tale, which is about average even though some of the storyline is highly unlikely, such as the missing pilot turning up and somehow making it back to the States with no money and presumably no passport! What ever happened to border control?
Ruth
Oct 26, 2015 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I somehow missed the Hardy Boys while growing up so I'm coming back to check out what all the fond chatter is about. Fun, clear, and overall a fine effort -- that's what it's about. I can see why people remember them so fondly.
Samir
Jun 16, 2010 Samir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory-2009-10
In the story a pilot is desperate for a promotion so he tries to get rid of his co-worker Clint Hill. Isn't that just terrible a man tries to kill or murder his best friend for a job? It makes me sick so he deserved Clint Hill pretending to be a ghost and haunting him.
Jessica
Sep 24, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was pretty good, but I've read better. I recommend this book, but only if you REALLY like mysteries. I don't happen to be one of those people, so I do recommend it, but for mystery lovers only. For you out there who aren't very interested in mystery, I wouldn't read this book.
Andrew
May 15, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book. I liked how they solved the mystery. And then just more and more people started coming in to the mystery.

Kristofer
In which Mrs. and Miss Hardy do nothing but fret and make food, Callie and Iola's sexual frustrations are palpable, and the citizens and police of Bayport continue to acquiesce to the Hardys' quasi-legal requests with alarming regularity.
Judy
Mar 22, 2015 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My long forgotten In Between Book. This was my first Hardy Boy book that got me hooked in the series 34 years ago. Appreciated the mystery and understood the story better. Talk about taking revenge!
Sam
May 14, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You think you would know what would happen, but then, it psychs you out and is totally different!
I love this book - it is amazing!
Chad
Nov 24, 2016 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a page turner, but seemed like it was missing some consistency. I do enjoy these books, but I guess I just wasn't following the pace of the story as well as I should.
Terri
It is all time childhood favorite book series .. I grew up reading those books I have not get complete collection, will do one day
Goodreads Librari...: Add Cover Please 5 13 Jul 20, 2015 08:57PM
  • Mystery Train (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery #8)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • Tom Swift And His Motor-boat (Tom Swift Sr, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)
  • While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys, #11)