Start by marking “Snitch” as Want to Read:
Snitch
Preview

Snitch

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  29 reviews
On the streets of Jersey City there is a simple code. You don't talk to the cops. You don't snitch. Period. But when bus driver Andre Bolden witnesses a crime on his route, he is compelled to make a choice. If he keeps silent, he might lose his job and be gnawed by his conscience. If he snitches, he could lose his family--even his life.

This explosive story explores the cla
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Snitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snitch

Ms.Toni
Darkness is His Shroud

New Jersey Transit bus driver Andre is minding his own business and doing his job finishing up his route when he witnesses a murder. To snitch or not to snitch is the question. That decision may no longer be his to make as the murderer sees Andre’s face and has no intentions of going to prison.

SNITCH had my full attention immediately and never let go. Mattison’s flow and style are smooth. I found Andre, a wounded soul, with his flaws and struggles to be a very interesting
A'ndrea Wilson
I happened upon this novel one day while perusing a Christian bookstore, and decided to read it for a reading/reviewing challenge. At first, I was a little unsure about the urban fiction feel of this story, trying to understand why it was considered Christian fiction; however, I am super happy that I gave it a chance. Snitch follows the story of Andre, a city bus driver who witnesses a murder while working his route. The killer knows there is a witness, invoking a manhunt for the person who can ...more
Sara
Snitch is an absorbing novel that explores faith, justice, and community while telling an intense tale that is pulled directly from urban life.

Read my full review here: http://shoopettesbookreviews.blogspot...
Title: SNITCH
Author: Booker T. Mattison
Publisher: Revell
May 2011
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3396-4
Genre: Inspirational/contemporary/suspense

On the streets of Jersey City there is a simple code. You don’t talk to the cops. You don’t snitch. Period.

Andre Bolden is a college drop out. And a screw up. The best he has managed to do is a third-shift bus driving gig, which is enough to pay his rent and child support. But then trouble happens. Andre witnesses a crime on his route. And he is forced to make a choic
Susan
I enjoyed the book's exploration of the code of silence - why people who live in high crime areas don't report information they know about crimes. The mental anguish Andre went through trying to figure out what to do in all aspects of his life was engaging. The author also did a good job depicting the plight of someone who has a police record and wants to go straight, but can't find a job.

I felt the romance in the book was a lot less convincing story line. The story didn't go into depth about wh
Michelle
Snitch is a gritty novel that I couldn't stop reading. The characters were complex and the story was insightful regarding the human condition. Plus, the action was almost non-stop. To me it felt like the people in the story were real people, and a couple of times I was scared myself, so I can only imagine how the people felt who lived in that gang-infested neighborhood. The slang and dialog the characters used made the story feel even more authentic to me. The author did a fantastic job with the ...more
Rhonda McKnight
Awesome

I read Booker Mattison's first book and was captivated by the characters and the story. Snitch grabbed me in the same way. Andre was an interesting character. He introduced me to a world with a code I know nothing about, but fully understood by the time I closed the book. The suspense around Andre's fate was what really held me at the end of my seat. I didn't know if he was going to pay for what he saw even though he wasn't telling or if he would make it out of the situation alive. I won
Andrew Neal
Janelle
This is good, not great. I kept reading to figure out what happened to the main character , and that's about it. You can tell that the author is a screenwriter by trade, that is, allowing pictures to tell some of the story for him. I didn't really feel connected to most of the characters and I felt like the storyline was a bit disjointed. These are things that would have been more smooth with he help of the big screen.
Laura Beasley
Good book. Liked the spiritual theme in it. Not familiar with gangs but thought the story could be very true. Was a couple of times I thought the author needed to elaborate more. Felt like he left out some things that could have added to the story. Can see this book made into a movie.
Cathleen
Interesting to see an urban story with a hint of faith-seeking. The ending seems abrupt, and there are character moments that don't make sense. Still, I know of readers who would be interested in a narrative like this, and others will likely improve on the idea.
Yolanda
A Classic!

A Remarkable read from beginning to end. Booker Mattison's writing is likened to that of the greats such as James Balwin, Langston Hughes and Richard Wright!
The story is about Andre Bolden standout football player hopeful turned bus driver. Andre struggling make a a life out of what life has dealt him takes a downward spiral after seeing a murder on his bus route. Dre, who is already struggling with faith, love and hope sees know way out of his seemingly dead end life. What keeps hi
Beth Anne
i have a lot of good things to say about this book. and i will say them. but the bottom line is that it read more like a movie script than a novel. i was not surprised at all when i read the book jacket and then looked up the author's bio...seeing that he was, in fact, a film writer. so is that a good thing or a bad thing? well, it's neither, really.

the good things about the book are that it's fast paced. the characters come alive in a natural and exciting way. the action in the book plays out i
Gayle
This book started out as I expected. Life in the city ruled by gangs
and bad things happening everywhere. I was taken in and in fear for
the life of Andre who had witnessed a murder and knew he was being
hunted down by the killer.
Andre is the father of a toddler but the baby's mother wants to move
on with her life. Her family isn't happy with Andre and can't imagine
marriage between these two. He wants to live for his son and eventually
make things right.

It evolved into a spiritual lesson, the importa
Paul Goble
Bus driver Andre Bolden witnesses a crime, and is forced to confront the truth about himself, his relationships, and God.

The plot and the characters carry the book. The plot is extraordinary--successfully pulling off a couple of jarring surprises. The characters gave me insight into some of the odd ways of thinking and behaving that I see in urban areas.

The present-tense writing style and realistic dialogue reads like a movie. The direct tone stays out of the way of the story, unencumbered by ev
Books n' Cooks
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great quick suspense book, but stands out from others by the style of prose and depth of characters. I look forward to seeing what Mattison puts out next.
TeFo
In the eyes of one who is a borderline atheist, this book really addresses the questions of one who is a nonbeliever, questioning why there would be an omnipotent overseer. The romance in the book was not as interesting as the gang related violence and religious parts. Mirroring the harsh reality of the unpredictable and of snitching, the book draws you into the streets of New Jersey. Andre's character matured quite rapidly after he starts hanging out with the New Jersey Truth.
Elisabeth
While it's good that the author attempted to explain the code of the street and why people who witness crimes don't talk to the police, this book was a bit cheesy and preachy. The choices of a lot of the characters didn't seem realistic. Also, I was expecting a crime novel, so I was disappointed since it definitely wasn't. And the ending left something to be desired. It ended VERY abruptly.
Jackie   Adams
A story giving insight to inner city gangs and the fear of those outside the inner circle of the gang. The setting is Jersey City, New Jersey. Religious theme, as well. While the book does give insight into gangs and their victims, it was not long enough to develop the characters (of which there were too many). A Barnes and Noble Nook "come-on," and with good ratings, as well.
David Marshall
I picked this up thinking it was a straight crime novel. It turns out that it's a Christian parable with a miraculous end. Of course, you're likely to love it if you're Christian. As an atheist, I prefer my fiction to be "realistic", i.e. for the normal laws of cause and effect to work.

Larisha
My first time reading a book by Booker T. Mattison, and I learned after I became engrossed in the book that it's his sophomore work. Great story about God, love, mistakes, retaliation, and retribution - all set in New Jersey.

Main characters: Andre, Rock, Sandra, Mr. and Mrs. Horton, Hakeem, Frederick, Strange-O. Mattison's characters are believable.
Nicole
Colette
this was an "interesting" book - I expected it to be more of a thriller/crime story than it was so I was originally disappointed, but the ending made the book worth reading. It was more about gangs, crime, family and finding God.
Rachel
Very slow read. Was hard to really get into this book. It picks up towards the end. This book was a bit of a disappointment b/c I expected it to be better.
Bridget
Mattison's character development is amazing.

Read it! You won't be disappointed.
Nan
Full of prose, this was an unexpected find. Well-written, suspenseful, uplifting.
Bart Grover
Had a good twist at the end.
MarMar216Boy
MarMar216Boy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • Forever After (Hanover Falls, #2)
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Composing Amelia
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • And You Call Yourself a Christian (Still Divas #1)
  • Redeeming Waters
  • Dry as Rain
  • Lipstick Hustla
  • Rhythms of Grace
  • Cheaper To Keep Her 3
  • The Corruptible (Ray Quinn #2)
  • Lickin' License
  • Soul Kiss: A Novel
  • Predators
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • The Stalker Chronicles
Unsigned Hype

“Hakeem: A wise man once said that suffering produces perseverance, character; and character, hope.
Andre: Since when did spouting masochism make one wise? And the sacraments of a bitter existence? Who deemed that a vaunted prize? Nihilistic philosophy only births more pain. It's fruitless to espouse folly, repackage it as wisdom, and spew it in a wise man's name.”
3 likes