Matisse: The Life

Matisse: The Life (Matisse #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Paperback. Pub the Date: April. 2009 Pages: 512 in Publisher: Penguin Henri Matisse was one of the most important. And beloved artists of the twentieth century. rivalled only by his friend - and competitor - Pablo Picasso. Hilary Spurling's of The Unknown Matisse and Matisse the Master were together heralded as the definitive biography of the artist. and Matisse the Master...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published 2005)

From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Eleanor Bron reads from Hilary Spurling's biography of the great French artist. Abridged by Doreen Estall
Arvind Balasundaram
In the second part of her superlative biography of Matisse, Hilary Spurling provides a splendid portrait of the artist as painter and family man. Relying on a range of source material never before accessed, Spurling develops the painter's life narrative as a smorgasboard of many personalities that remained enigmatic even to his immediate circle, including his family. Feverishly dedicated to his vocation, he described his painting as "a rape of myself, a certain tenderness or weakening in the fac...more
Renata
Matisse has been my favorite artist for many decades. It has always fascinated me to see the many stages he progressed through in his art from the wild fauve period to the ornately patterned art and then the sublime paper cutouts. I had red only brief biogrphical sketches of his life before this and was practically exhausted reading how hard he worked to develop his art, how he agonized over his choices, and what a severe task master he was with himself and all of his family,

I found it was best...more
Along with Quentin Bell's biography of Virginia Woolf, this and Spurling's first volume, 'The Unknown Matisse' are masterpieces of the life writer's art. From the artist's early days in the poor and dim north of France to his last days in the light-filled south, there's enough detail here to sink a lesser biographical vessel. There's so much that we didn't know before---Spurling's scholarship is exhaustive--- but it's all so well told. This is not the Matisse that introductory art history course...more
Andrew
Sep 06, 2008 Andrew rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Art Lovers
Shelves: biography
As one who knows very little about modern art, this was a valuable way to learn about one if its great pioneers. This book covers Matisses' adult life, relating plenty of education about his work as well is a very detailed relating of his personal life. I would think that some people would like a shorter version of the story or, perhaps, a more direct explanation of Matisse' art and its importance.

Lydia
I'd give the first part a 1.5-2 star and the second have a 4-5 star...

Because of my lack of knowledge concerning both this artist and his style of painting in general I really struggled through the first couple hundred pages. It jumped right into him teaching art...with a daughter and new wife (not the mom of the daughter...but you didn't know that till much later in the book).

However, I thoroughly enjoyed the last couple hundred of pages. This was showing how his work and his life changed with...more
Bookmarks Magazine

Spurling devoted two volumes and more than 1,000 pages to her biography of Henri Matisse, and it is clear that she fell in love with the great artist by the time she had finished. Critics labeled Matisse the Master and its predecessor a monumental achievement worthy of its subject, and they noted that the second volume could easily stand on its own. Extensively researched and lovingly written, Spurling brings both the artist and his work to life, even for those already familiar with Matisse. If

Taf Teh
Ini adalah buku kedua tentang Matisse (kali pertama dibeli pada 96/97) yang dibeli di Big Bad Wolves dengan harga RM10! Satu pelaburan murah yang berbaloi, terutamanya untuk mereka yang gemar mengintai dunia GILA orang lain. GILA ibarat satu dadah halal yang bebas, yang diperlukan oleh artis untuk berkarya. Ia juga seberat destructive stimuli yang lain seperti dadah, alkohol atau seks.

For him (Matisse) each painting was a rape. "Whose rape?" he asked... "A rape of myself, of a certain tenderness...more
Christine

4 Extra Debut.

1909, and Henri Matisse's critics call his paintings monstrous. Can he find support? Eleanor Bron reads Hilary Spurling's biography.

2. 1914, and with his family scattered across France, Matisse expresses the horror and uncertainty of the First World War in his art.

3. 1930, and Henri Matisse's painting is dramatically influenced by his visits to New York and Tahiti.

4. 1938, and now in his 60s, Henri Matisse's art must endure personal uphea
John
Now I know why Matisse was an absolute genius. He took color and nude girls (unfortunately he never slept with them -- one model was so beautiful the other poor, totured artists called her The Sunset) and turned them into something beyond the beyond. He is still ignored in Paris. When I visited the Musee D'Orsay last year, Matisse was absent. Many French artists think he is a mere colorist. In my opinion, his work transcends not only the time it was made, but our time as well.
Tema Merback
A most fascinating biography of the life of Matisse and his origins. Spurling's research is remarkable, her access unlimited. We witness the birth of a man who would crash through the doors of what is acceptable which resulted in a new language of art. His relationship with other painters including his nemesis Picasso is masterfully displayed. A must read for any and all who love the history of art.
Caren
There were a couple of wonderfully insightful, tender and thought-provoking moments in this book that kept me going through the times when it seemed to be a slew of name-dropping- referencing folks who I have no clue who they were. Yet, when those moments came- ahh... Worth reading if you are a major fan of Matisse, yet if you just want to learn some about him, perhaps a different book would be better.
Les Dangerfield
An excellent biography, which won the Whitbread prize for non fiction in the year it was published. You almost feel you know the artist personally by the end of the book. He was a man of huge commitment to his work and of integrity in his dealings with others. On a detail, it was also interesting to read the account of what happened to him and his family during the two world wars.
Patricia
This has some of the material the family released to Spurling prior to the opening of the archives next year. Although one reviewer (a man whose name I don't remember) felt the pace rushed after Mme Matisse is off the scene, I didn't have that sense. Beautifully written and gives the attentive reader as much as the Psalms on which to meditate.
Lynne
Didn't finish the VOLUMINOUS book, but more than half way. I very much enjoyed the art criticisms surrounding various pieces by Matisse. This is THE art historians books however with every detail of Matisse's life (and those close to him) documented. Just too much for me. There are just too many other things I want to read!
Ruofan
This is excellent writing and research. But one feels sad for Matisse reading this book -- so much struggling and hardship in his painting and so many health issues in his family. I thought art making was all spontaneous and fun, but definitely not the case with him!(less)
Jan 24, 2013 01:00PM · delete
Rob Woodard
Second volumes of Matisse's life. For some reason I liked this one better the first volume; it seems to get deeper into the artist's personality and art than its predecessor. However, looking back, I may have underrated volume one--for both of these are good books and probably a must for Matisse admirers.
Tema Merback
An in depth biography of the life of Matisse. Spurling leaves no stone unturned. She completely unmasks the genius and his tumultuous struggles to define a new window and perspective of art. I loved this book.
Dickson
This book would have received more stars from me except for some failings that seemed to be along the 'academic' lines. The style becomes wooden in places. The book content: more stars. The card file: fewer stars.
Lynne Harkes
Love Love Love this book!! It captures so much angst of the artist..something I can closely identify with as well as the notion that regardless of audience or of art world acceptance...you must paint your truth.
Susan Jaques
For lovers of Henri Matisse, this excellent biography offers insights into his career, artistry, and relationships -- including his wife, daughter, and models/muses.
An amazing book. It took me ages to finsish as I wanted to soak in and remember each little detail.
Emily
I found it really interesting to read about Matisse's life and especially his relationship to his family.
Dana Baldwin
Apr 27, 2008 Dana Baldwin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Good,comprehensive,but choppy and lengthy
Angela C.
Angela C. marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Vijay
Vijay marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Catie Tobin
Catie Tobin marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Samanta Tenca
Samanta Tenca marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
  • Pictures of Nothing: Abstract Art Since Pollock
  • Art Lover: A Biography of Peggy Guggenheim
  • Leonardo da Vinci: Flights of the Mind
  • Old Masters, New World: America's Raid on Europe's Great Pictures
Hilary Spurling, CBE, FRSL (born 1940) is a British writer, known as a journalist and biographer. She won the Whitbread Prize for the second volume of her biography of Henri Matisse in January 2006. Burying The Bones: Pearl Buck in China was published in March 2010.
She is married to playwright John Spurling, and has three children (Amy, Nathaniel and Gilbert) and two grandchildren.
More about Hilary Spurling...
Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth The Unknown Matisse, 1869-1908 La Grande Therese: The Greatest Scandal of the Century The Girl from the Fiction Department: A Portrait of Sonia Orwell Invitation To the Dance: A Handbook to Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time