Start by marking “First Stop in the New World” as Want to Read:
First Stop in the New World

First Stop in the New World

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The definitive book on Mexico City: a vibrant, seductive, and paradoxical metropolis-the second-biggest city in the world, and a vision of our urban future.

First Stop in the New World is a street-level panorama of Mexico City, the largest metropolis in the western hemisphere and the cultural capital of the Spanish-speaking world. Journalist David Lida expertly captures the
Published June 2nd 2009 by Riverhead Books (first published June 12th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about First Stop in the New World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Stop in the New World

Nicole Gabriel
May 20, 2015 Nicole Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Great insight to the culture and history! Seriously I have no idea why other people would rate it less than 5!
Mar 18, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
3.5 stars! I travel to Mexico City frequently for work, and Lida accurately captures the city, from its grittiness to its loveliness. The book is a both a great primer on Mexico City for first time visitors and fun revisiting of the highlights for old-timers. However, the chapters were uneven in terms of their quality, insight, and length, and the book often felt more like a compilation of Lida's numerous articles than a coherent narrative. More structure and an overarching narrative arc would h ...more
Julian Hoffman
Jul 22, 2014 Julian Hoffman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anybody going to Mexico City
Recommended to Julian by: Hillary Hoffman
Amazing insight into Mexico City, though it could have used a bit better editing to avoid some repetition (sometimes within a few pages, reintroducing a specific word of location as if it was the first time the second, or even third time around). That said, ESSENTIAL reading if you're gong to visit the DF, from the history, to the culture, but especially the stories behind the people who make it tick. Highly recommended.
Ian
Aug 01, 2015 Ian rated it liked it
Entertaining enough for Mexico City-philes like myself but not compelling enough for me to recommend it to others unless you have some personal interest in the land of chilangos.
Spencer
Jun 06, 2015 Spencer rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A great collection of vignettes and essays about Mexico City. Made for fun reading while actually in the DF.
Judy
Jul 03, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
About Mexico City
Pete
Aug 12, 2013 Pete rated it liked it
very readable set of scenes/sketches of life in Mexico City by an American expat, with a good mixture of history/street life/contemporary culture/politics. Amounts to a night of good conversation with someone who knows his city well. i found Lida very slightly intrusive -- he just has his own take on the world that was a little sour for me, but he's upfront about it. This book is not a great advertisement for Mexico City, but it is a pretty good book.
Kellee
Aug 11, 2012 Kellee rated it liked it
From my limited experience I found most of what the author of this book said to be spot on. I enjoyed learning more about this dynamic city and the people who inhabit it. I also enjoyed learning more about Santa Fe and why thing here in Mexico are the way they are. I did skip/skim a few chapters such as Sex Capital and The Last Cabaret. Over all a good and informative read.
May 04, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
This was a great counter-balance to the academic books I read about Mexican economics, politics, etc. It's the real life, on-the-ground view of life in Mexico City. Reads like a fiction book and covers about every topic you'd ask about.
Amy
Sep 28, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
A great overview of the city--will recommend to all my visitors!
David
Dec 23, 2015 David rated it really liked it
There is a lot of fun and sad material here. After reading this book, despite all the bad things, I really want to see this grandiose city.
Chris
Aug 25, 2013 Chris added it
Shelves: bookclub
A tour of a complex city. Even with all the details, you're left with a sense that it has even more layers than he describes.
John Bruce
Dec 06, 2013 John Bruce rated it really liked it
Great montage of literary snapshots of Mexico City. Highly recommended for anyone with ganas to explore Mexico City.
Brendan Monaghan
Brendan Monaghan rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Jasmine Ortiz
Jasmine Ortiz rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Carlos Martinez
Carlos Martinez rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Randall Harrison
Randall Harrison rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2016
Phil Parker
Phil Parker rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Laura is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2016
Janelle
Janelle rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
matt
matt marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Calvin
Calvin marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 19, 2016
Rocio Sanchez
Rocio Sanchez rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Amenee Siahpush
Amenee Siahpush marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Amy Ahrens Terpstra
Amy Ahrens Terpstra rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Laura Hohmann
Laura Hohmann is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2016