Start by marking “Little Lost Bat” as Want to Read:
Little Lost Bat

Little Lost Bat

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A baby Mexican free-tailed bat clings to the ceiling of a crowded noisy cave, waiting for his mother to return from her daily hunting trip. After three days of searching and waiting, he is rescued by a bat that is in a strangely similar circumstance. A surprising story of adoption in the animal kingdom based on current research.
Published July 1st 2006 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Little Lost Bat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Lost Bat

Lyndy Stein
I chose to critique this book because the eight-year-old that I babysit for seems to know everything there is about bats and wolves...so I wanted to brush up on my knowledge of bats. This book has great illustrations and would be a fun book to read aloud to students because of all the sounds that bats make. I also like that there are a few websites and other books that students can use as resources for further learning. I learned so much about bats that now I can finally hold a conversation abou ...more
Sarah Herrington
We've read several books about birds/owls/bats recently and this was my favorite. A baby bat is adopted by a mother who has lost her baby. It was sad, but not overly graphic. The story and illustrations are beautiful and interesting information about bats is interspersed throughout in a way that's not awkward or overt.
The Book Maven
The Beautiful watercolor illustrations and simple poetic text of this book convey a lot of information about the Mexican free-tailed bats and their offspring (as many as 10% of these mama-bats “adopt” bats that are not their own!) A wonderful and educational read for your young one at bedtime.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I actually teared up a bit at the end of this one. Narrative nonfiction about the relationship between a mother bat and her baby.
Kristy Sikora
Published: 2006

Summary: The little bat's mother becomes prey to an owl, leaving the bat motherless. Another bat loses her baby, and takes the little bat in as her own.

Lesson ideas: I use this book every year at Halloween because we have just finished teaching about animal adaptations and food chains in science. After reading the book, we discuss the predator/prey relationships, learned behaviors, and instincts. It's a great way to discuss these topics through a heartwarming story.

Themes: parent
bookworm22
This is an excellent book for a child who has lost a parent and who is in the process of gaining another parent through adoption/foster care. The book goes through the process of a baby bat being born and being cared for by his mother and then the mother does not return and he almost dies. Another mother bat, who lost her baby, finds him and they meet each other's needs... Very well written and provocative. More appropriate for an older child than really young as there is a lot of text...
Amy
A baby bat whose mother gets eaten by an owl is adopted by a mother bat who has lost her baby. Facts about the way bats live educate in an unobtrusive way by way of the story. And apparently, "as many as 10 percent of Mexican free-tailed bat mothers aren't the genetic mothers of the babies they're nursing," so the adoption story may be true. I consider this a good choice for preschoolers interested in bats or for opening up discussions about adoption.
Peacegal
Little Lost Bat is a positive look at a much maligned animal. The benefits bats provide in consuming insects, as well as the many hazards they face in nature, are discussed.

Perhaps most positively, we see a "creepy" creature nurturing and caring for her young, with the same devotion as other animal mothers. The humane education message comes though loud and clear: even an unusual or misunderstood animal like a bat has a life worth respecting.
Kay
Aug 17, 2009 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Charlotte Mason homeschoolers
Shelves: picture-books
Great 'living book' about bats. Told as a story about a little bat that loses it's mother (I skipped the pages about the owl preying on the mommy bat for my 2 year old's sake, but my 6 year old knew what happened without my even reading it), Sandra Markle does a great job of describing a bat's life cycle and living environment without it reading like a text book. Great descriptive language and illustrations definitely help this story along.
Randie
A baby bat loses his mother to an owl. A mother bat loses her baby to a snake. The pair search and search for their lost one and finally become a new family. Watercolor illustrations are the highlight of this book.

The text is way too lengthy, overly descriptive. That being said, it does provide a lot of factual information about the Mexican Free-Tailed Bat.
Esther
This might be a good book about bats, although I would still find it a little graphic about the animal world and disturbing and I defintely will not be using it for the adoption support group.
Megan Lee
Great book showing the lives of bats and how mothers are to them. Also very cool how another bat takes on the role. Great for nature lovers and for the start of a unit.
Ruth
Great story about a life of a bat. I love non-fiction that achieves the balance between fact and story. This tale is a great example of one that is done well.
Michelle
The drawing is artsy but good. There are way too many words for a kids' book
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Jun 12, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Elisha Karr
Elisha Karr marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Phin
Phin added it
May 29, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dana Pressnell
Dana Pressnell marked it as to-read
Audra Rowell
Audra Rowell marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 next »
Sandra Markle is the author of more than two hundred children's books, which have won numerous awards, including Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor Book, IRA/CBC Children's Choice, NSTA/CBC Outstanding Trade Books for Children, NCTE Orbis Pictus Recommended, and ALA Notable Books for Children. She lives in Lakewood Ranch, Florida and frequently travels to schools sharing her program "Sandra Markle's Boo ...more
More about Sandra Markle...
The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery The Case of the Vanishing Honeybees: A Scientific Mystery What If You Had Animal Teeth!? How Many Baby Pandas? The Long, Long Journey: The Godwit's Amazing Migration