Start by marking “Little Lost Bat” as Want to Read:
Little Lost Bat

Little Lost Bat

A baby Mexican free-tailed bat clings to the ceiling of a crowded noisy cave, waiting for his mother to return from her daily hunting trip. After three days of searching and waiting, he is rescued by a bat that is in a strangely similar circumstance. A surprising story of adoption in the animal kingdom based on current research.
Published July 1st 2006 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Little Lost Bat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Lost Bat

Kristy Sikora
Nov 07, 2010 Kristy Sikora rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Published: 2006

Summary: The little bat's mother becomes prey to an owl, leaving the bat motherless. Another bat loses her baby, and takes the little bat in as her own.

Lesson ideas: I use this book every year at Halloween because we have just finished teaching about animal adaptations and food chains in science. After reading the book, we discuss the predator/prey relationships, learned behaviors, and instincts. It's a great way to discuss these topics through a heartwarming story.

Themes: parent
Lyndy Stein
Jul 28, 2014 Lyndy Stein rated it really liked it
Shelves: all, nonfiction
I chose to critique this book because the eight-year-old that I babysit for seems to know everything there is about bats and wolves...so I wanted to brush up on my knowledge of bats. This book has great illustrations and would be a fun book to read aloud to students because of all the sounds that bats make. I also like that there are a few websites and other books that students can use as resources for further learning. I learned so much about bats that now I can finally hold a conversation abou ...more
bookworm22
Mar 07, 2008 bookworm22 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for a child who has lost a parent and who is in the process of gaining another parent through adoption/foster care. The book goes through the process of a baby bat being born and being cared for by his mother and then the mother does not return and he almost dies. Another mother bat, who lost her baby, finds him and they meet each other's needs... Very well written and provocative. More appropriate for an older child than really young as there is a lot of text...
Kay
Aug 17, 2009 Kay rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Charlotte Mason homeschoolers
Shelves: picture-books
Great 'living book' about bats. Told as a story about a little bat that loses it's mother (I skipped the pages about the owl preying on the mommy bat for my 2 year old's sake, but my 6 year old knew what happened without my even reading it), Sandra Markle does a great job of describing a bat's life cycle and living environment without it reading like a text book. Great descriptive language and illustrations definitely help this story along.
Peacegal
Nov 01, 2010 Peacegal rated it liked it
Little Lost Bat is a positive look at a much maligned animal. The benefits bats provide in consuming insects, as well as the many hazards they face in nature, are discussed.

Perhaps most positively, we see a "creepy" creature nurturing and caring for her young, with the same devotion as other animal mothers. The humane education message comes though loud and clear: even an unusual or misunderstood animal like a bat has a life worth respecting.
Amy
May 30, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
A baby bat whose mother gets eaten by an owl is adopted by a mother bat who has lost her baby. Facts about the way bats live educate in an unobtrusive way by way of the story. And apparently, "as many as 10 percent of Mexican free-tailed bat mothers aren't the genetic mothers of the babies they're nursing," so the adoption story may be true. I consider this a good choice for preschoolers interested in bats or for opening up discussions about adoption.
Sarah Herrington
Apr 12, 2014 Sarah Herrington rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
We've read several books about birds/owls/bats recently and this was my favorite. A baby bat is adopted by a mother who has lost her baby. It was sad, but not overly graphic. The story and illustrations are beautiful and interesting information about bats is interspersed throughout in a way that's not awkward or overt.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Aug 08, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A baby bat loses his mother to an owl. A mother bat loses her baby to a snake. The pair search and search for their lost one and finally become a new family. Watercolor illustrations are the highlight of this book.

The text is way too lengthy, overly descriptive. That being said, it does provide a lot of factual information about the Mexican Free-Tailed Bat.
The Book Maven
The Beautiful watercolor illustrations and simple poetic text of this book convey a lot of information about the Mexican free-tailed bats and their offspring (as many as 10% of these mama-bats “adopt” bats that are not their own!) A wonderful and educational read for your young one at bedtime.
Michelle
Apr 18, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The drawing is artsy but good. There are way too many words for a kids' book
Courtney Hughes
Bats, nocturnal animals
Grades K - 5
Esther
Sep 29, 2008 Esther rated it did not like it
This might be a good book about bats, although I would still find it a little graphic about the animal world and disturbing and I defintely will not be using it for the adoption support group.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I actually teared up a bit at the end of this one. Narrative nonfiction about the relationship between a mother bat and her baby.
Ruth
Jul 29, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Great story about a life of a bat. I love non-fiction that achieves the balance between fact and story. This tale is a great example of one that is done well.
Megan Lee
Dec 03, 2013 Megan Lee rated it it was amazing
Great book showing the lives of bats and how mothers are to them. Also very cool how another bat takes on the role. Great for nature lovers and for the start of a unit.
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Amanda Hamilton
Amanda Hamilton rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2010
Andrea Webster
Andrea Webster rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2009
Carrie Gelson
Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Kristi
Kristi rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Lina
Lina rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
DeAnne Densman
DeAnne Densman rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2015
Connie
Connie rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2009
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Brittany Orolin
Brittany Orolin rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2009
Sandra Markle is the author of more than two hundred children's books, which have won numerous awards, including Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor Book, IRA/CBC Children's Choice, NSTA/CBC Outstanding Trade Books for Children, NCTE Orbis Pictus Recommended, and ALA Notable Books for Children. She lives in Lakewood Ranch, Florida and frequently travels to schools sharing her program "Sandra Markle's Boo ...more
More about Sandra Markle...