Where the Birds Never Sing: The True Story of the 92nd Signal Battalion and the Liberation of Dachau

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this riveting book, Jack Sacco tells the realistic, harrowing, at times horrifying, and ultimately triumphant tale of an American GI in World War II as seen through the eyes of his father, Joe Sacco -- a farm boy from Alabama who was flung into the chaos of Normandy and survived the terrors of the Bulge.

As part of the 92nd Signal Battalion and Patton's famed Third Army,...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by Harper (first published October 1st 2003)

Matt
Where the Birds Never Sing is a very good read. Interesting perspective. It is written by a Son told through his father’s eyes as He went through WWII in the European theater. Great story starting with his Dad’s humble beginnings, through basic training.

Though much of his Dad’s experiences had been as a communications specialist(ran wire), He finished alongside the Infantry in the guts of The Battle of the Bulge, and the liberation of Dacau.
Pretty incredible experience including encounters with...more
Amy
a day by day account of what it was like to be a regular "joe" in the u.s. army during WWII. the author's father is joe sacco and this is the story of joe and the 92nd signal battalion of Patton's army. they were the guys that strung wire so that the general could communicate with the front line. you follow joe from his family farm to boot camp and from there across the sea to england, normandy and all the way to the liberation of dachau. definitely for a mature audience, but i highly recommend...more
Leslie
Dec 10, 2007 Leslie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII History Buffs
The author's family goes to my church in Birmingham. His father died recently, and I am friends with his widow.

Very well written. Sacco writes the book in the voice of his father, although he says he did not quote his father directly. Sacco had an amazing experience during the war--first love, seeing General Patton on a regular basis, liberating Dachau, and being in Hitler's apartment. But mostly, it is about a regular Italian boy from Alabama who develops great friendships with his fellow sold...more
Stephanie Phipps
This is a riveting account of what it was like to follow Patton's 3rd army into France and Germany. I also loved that Patton was included interacting with his support troops, not just his frontline guys. Iam glad to see historical accounts of what happened so that younger generations can see what their great-grandparents or ancestors did for this country. To this day if I see a veteran of any war I cannot help but say thanks.
Sara Tobin
I really enjoyed reading this book. Jack Sacco's simplistic description really made this book great he let the events talk for itself which makes it very believable. Reading the about WWII through the eyes of a young man from Alabama really gave war a different view for me. I definitly reccomend reading this historical nonfiction book.
Donna Gabbard
When I purchased this e-book I thought I was getting a book about the Dachau concentration camp. After reading thru a third of the book, I still had not read the first thing about Dachau. I grew weary of the profanity and "bathroom humor". I hate to abandon books but this one is not worth spending my time on.
Laurie
Absolutely amazing. So beautifully written. I loved how Sacco wrote this as though he was his father. It felt so personal. I laughed my ass off during some parts and cried at others. I may have to add this one to my personal library.
Martha
This engaging story of boys becoming soldiers and men in WWII puzzles me because it's written in the first person as if an autobiography but actually the author is the son of Joe Sacco. Is this history?
Cheri
Aug 14, 2012 Cheri marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So hard to find a book that will equal Gone Girl.....this may do it It's is worlds apart from Gone Girl. And it's on a topic that I love....WWII and the Holocaust. How can it miss?
Al
The book is a great read. The climax when these hard bitten soldiers began to liberate the death camps will bring you to tears as you consider what a monster Hitler was.
Katie
If you like books about World War 2 from the viewpoint of somebody involved, I highly recommend this story. It was a very interesting perspective and very easy to read.
Tyler
Horrifyingly good account of field life in WWII and the discovery of a camp. Read it right after my wife read it. Loved every page.
Bethany Campbell
Aug 13, 2007 Bethany Campbell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in WWII writing
I really enjoyed this memoir. Poignant without being overly sappy or romanticized, it was a good read. Vivid characters.
Ashley
One of the most incredible books I have ever read. I will never be without a copy... or two. Everyone should read this!
Laurie
A true story of the liberation of Dachau. Horrific to think of what happened to the millions of Jews.
Ralph
An easy read...quick...and still gives enough detail to hold my interest
Nora
Poignant. Well told from a young soldier's point of view.
Nancie
Not suited for everyone, but I learned a gret deal from this book.
Trena Hatfield
This book touched me like nothing I've ever read before!!!!
Aime
Sep 22, 2009 Aime rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Amazing book! A must read for any history buff.
janelle
great book- and the author is wonderful too!
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Above the Treetops: The True Story of William Faulkner and Bobby Little, the Son he Never Had Above the Treetops - The True Story of William Faulkner and Bobby Little, the Son He Never Had