State of Mind

State of Mind

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Grier Crist works for the Organization a group of Gifted agents who use their powers to keep peace, help those in need, and combat criminal influence around the globe. When a suspicious bombing drives Grier to break his ties with the group and go into hiding, the head of the Organization sends model agent Alec Devlin after him, claiming Grier is a murderer and traitor to t...more
Published March 8th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about State of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State of Mind

Kassa
State of Mind plays on familiar and typical concepts to deliver an action packed story with a romance running along side. The characters are decent with a mostly solid story and the incredibly quick pace to the writing and dialogue lends to a very fast read. While there are no obvious missteps and glaring issues, the bland nature of the plot and ambiguous setting end up leaving the story somewhat indistinct and not very memorable – even though it’s entertaining and fun to read. I’ll definitely b...more
Dan C.
Everyone around here knows that I read every last word of Heidi's m/m fiction - featuring a great plenitude of man-on-man action. What you might not know is that hers is not the only m/m fiction I read. This comes as a result of having a non-paying side gig of proofreading galleys for Dreamspinner. And to be 100% honest about it, I really enjoy reading this genre more than I ever thought I would. I blame 5 seasons of Queer As Folk (and one laughably bad season of The Lair) for causing me to be c...more
Heidi Cullinan
Sometimes there are books you wish you could write but you know you can't. Like maybe you watched Jason Bourne and wished you could go slash him, but you know you're shit for action adventure, so you don't. Well, Jason Bourne has been slashed and also given extra-sensory powers. It's like X-men MEETS Jason Bourne but with less costumes. It's well-plotted, well-paced, and well-developed without being overdone. And don't read it before bed uniess you can sleep in the next day. Learned that the har...more
Aleksandr Voinov
I enjoyed this. Libby Drew is a character-driven writer, so that works for me. The snark and back-and-forth between Grier and Alec sparkles, they got some great chemistry, and the sex is electric (also, Drew teases a lot before she delivers). Style is good, definitely serves the characters and the plot. If anything, I'd have liked her to delve deeper into the politics/thriller plot, because psychics just offer so many possibilities there (hmmmm....). I thought the psychic stuff was very well don...more
Breann

Alec and Grier are on the run from the Organization, a secret government agency that uses people called the Gifted. The Gifted have certain psychic abilities and are supposedly using them for the greater good. When Grier realizes there is corruption in the Organization the quickly deflects and is on the run. Alec is sent to find Grier, and bring him back to their leader, Ethan. The tables quickly turn on Alec and he is taken by Grier who then enlightens Alec about the shady shenanigans of the Or...more
Janey Chapel
I loooooooved State of Mind. The world-building, the characters, the superb pacing and attention to detail -- as far as I'm concerned, it raised the bar for me when it comes to our genre. I look forward to seeing much, much more from Libby Drew.
VJ Summers
Wonderful banter, hot-hot-hot sex and an interesting story. I'm hoping for sequels - Nicholas needs a story, too! My only complaint? Not enough of that hot-hot-hot sex!
Shelby
This is probably a solid 3.5 stars overall for me. I felt like a lot of the potential I saw in the piece just didn’t quite hit in the end. If I knew there was a sequel planned that opinion might actually change. This felt like a prequel in some ways to what potentially could come next. Not to say that things didn’t happen here, because they did. I just wanted so much more. I want to know what happens next and feel like this was just setting up for something great.

Grier Crist has devoted his gift...more
Saritza
What an amazing thrill ride! This book seizes your heart from the very first sentence and doesn't let you go until long after you've put it down! Wow!

Summary: Grier Crist works for the Organization—a group of Gifted “agents” who use their powers to keep peace, help those in need, and combat criminal influence around the globe. When a suspicious bombing drives Grier to break his ties with the group and go into hiding, the head of the Organization sends model agent Alec Devlin after him, claiming
Kat Alexander
Apr 04, 2010 Kat Alexander rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kat by: "Recommended"? Well, a friend won it from First Reads.
Shelves: read-2010
So, there are several ways an author can push a story forward. There are plot-driven novels. There are character-driven novels. There are even setting-driven novels if that's what floats your boat.

And then there's that one I'd never seen outside of FanFiction, and could have sworn I would never find published in novel form. This novel (or, less generously, rag) is what is most frequently known as PWP. This initialism has multiple definitions. The most commonly accepted are Plot? What Plot? and,...more
MandyM
Recommended by Nancy L for the QGB3 2011. I found this to be a solid story but one that didn't really grab me. The plot was interesting but nothing new. A couple of guys with psychic powers are on the run from their evil boss and his organisation. Another evil boss of a rival organisation is stirring the pot with anonymous terrorist activities. They all come together in a showdown that leads to a new power dynamic.

Both Alec and Grier are emotionally damaged but these issues are not really enlarg...more
Beatrice
I have to say that, first and foremost, rating this book is a bit hard. Certainly there were aspects of the book that really appealed to me, like the concept of the Gifted as well as the mental connections the characters formed with each other, whether intentionally or not. But some of it fell flat as well, like the main relationship and the conspiracy plot.

Now, don't get me wrong, I cared for Grier and Alec. But it seemed to me that the romance slowed down a bit towards the second half of the b...more
ElaineY
I had difficulty reading this book though through no fault of the author, I think. The format of PDF file was completely messed up when I set the font size to Medium on my Sony e-reader. The dialog lines were all joined up so it was nearly impossible at times to know who was speaking.

As a result, I found it very hard to follow the story and all I know is what I can already get from the synopsis. At this point, I only know there are two entities - the Organization and the Directorate and I'm not...more
Jimmy Hanson
I've had trouble trying to think of a good summary of this novel, and keep falling short. It was less like an original telling of a story, than it was a patchwork of other novels I've read with a few new parts thrown in that leave a less than desirable taste behind.

One man believes in the righteous cause of his company, and the work he does as sort of a mental 'warrior.' Another tries desperately to hide, to go unnoticed in the world of 'norms' and just be forgotten by that same company who he w...more
Smith Barney
Fantastically f'ing fabulous..fiction.
JoJosBookCorner
Candice
3.5 Stars

Why only 3.5? Well, I guess it's because there were too many questions left unanswered for me. I wanted to know more about Roman, specifically. Then there's Nicholas and I wanted to see him use more of his powers. We saw a little bit in the limo, but I wanted more. I also would have liked to know more about Grier and Alec's pasts. How did they find out they were different and could manipulate things with their minds.

I LOVED all of their powers. Made me giddy watching them use them.

This...more
Shin
First, having read the story Paying the Piper before by this author, I have to admit I started to read this book with great expectations and a touch of apprehension that it would disappoint. And while I'm fairly sure that Paying the Piper (and Quent) will remain my favorite, I can't say I was disappointed at all.

I'm not a big fan of paranormal stories involving psychics and the like but the story was interesting nevertheless. What really made it for me though were the two main characters. I wasn...more
Snowtulip
So this story did have a formula that is tried and true, and admittedly sometimes that can get a little old. For me, this story worked and I think it's more to do with potential than anything. I want to know about Alec and Grier's past (which we don't really find much out in this story), I want to see how the new regime works out, there is so much I want to know.

Keeping that in mind, the story should have been longer so I could find those things out, so I'm hoping for a sequel to quell my needs....more
Book Utopia
The swift action and likable characters made this a fun, entertaining read for me. It's not perfect. The two leads could use more depth and consistency, and the kind of generic conflict has been done before. But the pace is relentless, the action nonstop, and the attraction between Alec and Grier sizzling. Even better, I liked that the author didn't try to shoehorn sex in when it wouldn't have been practical. It added a sense of urgency to their problems that might otherwise have been lacking.
Meggie
I love what Libby Drew created with this storyline. I was drawn into Grier's and Alec's fated path from the start. Both of them were pulling and at the end well suited for each other. I was just sad that Nicolas didn't find his own man. The man storyline is truly well developed with rich character and good enjoyable action. I have always fun by re-reading this book.
Danielle
This is a book that I ended up liking a lot without being sure why. Nothing really jumped out at me as being superlative in comparison to other fiction I've read recently, but overall it just worked. The characters were good and the action kept it moving. And it is always interesting to see any author quirks in paranormal reads.
Tammy K.
I loved this book. It's packed with action, suspense, mystery and a long build up before hot sex.
I so hope this is made into a series, as I have bonded to the characters.
This book gets a 100% recommendation to all my MM romance friends.
Kudos to the author for such a thrilling, suspenseful story.
Nightcolors
This was an interesting book with very likable characters. I liked Alec and Grier, the two main guys. There was lots of action -- paranormal, psychic stuff, too -- which I always enjoy. But weirdly, I had trouble falling into the story. I'm gonna have to read this book again sometime.
Ingrid
Great story, good world building, very likeable characters. And as Janey also said great pacing, it was fluent and up tempo. Looking forward to part 2. At least the last chapter makes me believe there will be another book.
The cover is another bonus. I think it's gorgeous!
Jenre
I enjoyed this fast paced thriller which still allowed for a nicely written romance. The paranormal setting was unusual and I was kept on my toes by the swift shift in locations. Decent characters and tight plotting made this a book I would recommend.
Hpstrangelove
I haven't read the edited version yet. I was able to read a draft version last year and loved it. Libby has said there were some additions and I'm looking forward to reading them - they can only make this book better.
Nancy L
I was very impressed with this book. Well written and an easy to follow story line. Mystery/intrique and a slight dash of smut in there. Going to look now to see if there's a sequel!
Clover
good story but the plot was a little confusing for me, maybe cause I'm not a first english speaker but the book was good ^^
Elizabeth H.
I don't usually care for paranormal, but this one was okay.
  • Rinse and Repeat
  • Busted
  • First Blood (GORGON, #2)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Dragon Streets
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • 72 Hours
  • Falling
  • Ice Cream on the Side
  • Touching Evil
  • Kidnapped (The Infinitum Government, #1)
  • Urban Shaman
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • Dreamlands (Dreamlands #1)
  • Unspeakable Words
  • Eye Spy (Eye Spy, #1)
  • Oracle
3381921
Libby glimpsed her true calling when her first story, an A.A. Milne /Shakespeare crossover, won the grand prize in her elementary school's fiction contest. Her parents explained that writers were quirky, poor, and often talked to themselves in supermarket checkout lines. They implored her to be practical, a request she took to heart for twenty years, earning two degrees, a white-collar job, and an...more
More about Libby Drew...
Great Restorations Paradox Lost Running Far Afield 40 Souls to Keep Bending The Iron

“You just want to see me naked,” Alec peeled off his shirt, then
popped the buttons on his jeans and slid them low on his hips.
“I’ve seen you naked. Or have you forgotten?”
Alec winced when Grier probed the wound. “Oh yeah. What’d
you think, by the way?”
“The room was cold, so I won’t hold it against you.”
3 likes