Start by marking “Introducing Islam” as Want to Read:
Introducing Islam
Preview

Introducing Islam (Introducing Series)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The world of Islam--a graphic guide to the future of the Muslim world and the ramification for all of us.
Published (first published September 14th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Islam

Yanurisa Ananta
actually the title of the book i read is "mengenal islam for begginers" but i can't find in this site. so i choose this book because because the cover is just the same (hehehe) maybe the contain also the same.

i'm a muslim and actually i don't really know about my belief. so i think i have to enrich my knowledge about my religion. first, the author explain about Muhammad saw then about his struggle when he explain islam to society of Mecca. then it also describe about muslim contribution in the d
Tim
This was a great little primer on the history and teachings of Islam, which is something that I had been seeking for some time. This is part of a series of such books from Britain's Icon Books. It is very well illustrated (by Malik) with drawings derived from Islamic artistic and decorative traditions. The text is clear and concise, and it is a pretty quick read. Nevertheless, I spent a fair amount of time with it, reading some sections over several times. Despite the simplicity of the work, it ...more
Kolumbina
Good book. Learnt a lot of things. The world would be a better and more peaceful place if more people would read this book. Really liked it and the pictures are really well done. "Intgroducing books" are a really good idea.
Octavia McAloon
Easy to follow introduction for someone with very little prior knowledge or study of Islam. However, I do wish that I had picked a book that spent less time explaining achievements of the Muslim community in the last millennium, and more time focusing on the actual teachings and origins of Islam (which only took up about the first 1/3 of this book).
Alexandra
I think I'm too old for this series. I find the graphics and 'asides' made by the cartoons distracting and immature. Again, I wish the writers had backed up some of their statements regarding early islamic philosophers with facts, more details. As with other topics in this series, the bias of the authors was at times heavy-handed and condescending. A shame that it couldn't rise above the narrative style as there were moments it was genuinely interesting and well thought out.
Joseph Harriott
Hoped this would help me understand and develop respect for this Abrahamic religion, but no, it just left me saddened. It seemed to me a very politically correct description, stripped of the insightful analysis that these Introducing books usually summarise so well, and that I was hoping for. (The things that worry me about Islam are discussed at http://muslimsagainstsharia.blogspot.com)
za
Buku ini adalah buku seri For Beginners yang aku beli pertama. Buku ini aku beli dekat-dekat waktu Ramadhan. Sardar menjelaskan secara singkat mengenai sejarah Nabi Muhammad. Tidak cuma sampai wafatnya Nabi Muhammad, tapi juga hingga generasi sahabat, kejayaan Islam di Abad Pertengahan, hingga Islam di masa aktual.
Jay Best
Really nice intro to Islam, it seems simplistic but nit overly condescending. As an agnostic I was fascinated to find out more - while I am not sure of the accuracy, the format is easy and interesting to read. I have learned a lot which I hadn't previously known.
Memudahkan untuk pembelajaran mengenai sejarah islam dari awal mulanya, disertai dengan ilustrasi dan cerita yang mudah untuk dipahami..Dengan penjelasan mengenai kemajuan umat islam di bidang iptek dan teknologi yang menjadi pencetus kemajuan saat ini
A.Maya Purnamasari
Buku Tyo yg nongkrong dikosan Deni sampe berdebu.. akhirnya bukan Deni yg baca.. haha... Dibaca maya, yok! Bagus, yok bukunya.... Bener2 for beginnes,, ditambah ilustrasi gambar2nya, plus informasi yg jarang ada dibuku pelajaran agama.. menarik!
Lewis
An interesting introduction to Islam - I learned loads of really fascinating facts, especially about Islamic scientific discoveries. However, the book is pretty biased in places, and tends to gloss over some areas.
Katie Lynn
I certainly want to learn more, this is very tip o' the iceberg. And I wonder about their objectivity. No real reason to doubt, but it is such a succinct introduction that it makes me curious.
Pedro Martinez
An essay explaining past, present and future of Islam. A huge challenge for less that 200 pages that I found quite balanced, illustrative but mere introduction to search for more.
Ali
buku yang menarik dari seorang ahli islam kontemporer, fasih dengan cultural studies dan antropologis. sedapp
Qonita
basic understanding about islam and more about the philosophy behind it. concise and inspiring.
Gerry
a good book for anyone who want to know about Islam in good and simple explanation.
Matt Kottman
Revisionist history.
 SaЯRah Muhammad
SaЯRah Muhammad marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Sidney Gaskell
Sidney Gaskell marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Muhamad Ridwan
Muhamad Ridwan marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
James Quay
James Quay marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Layla Arsi
Layla Arsi marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Faruk Dreic
Faruk Dreic marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Stephen Hawking
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Psychology
  • Introducing Marquis De Sade
  • Romanticism (Introducing)
  • Introducing Philosophy
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Einstein for Beginners
  • أقدم لك لينين والثورة الروسية
  • Introducing Sociology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Genetics, New Edition (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Nietzsche For Beginners
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
Ziauddin Sardar has written or edited 45 books over a period of 30 years, many with his long-time co-author Merryl Wyn Davies. Recent titles include Balti Britain: a Journey Through the British Asian Experience (Granta, 2008); and How Do You Know: Reading Ziauddin Sardar on Islam, Science and Cultural Relations (Pluto, 2006). The first volume of his memoirs is Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journey ...more
More about Ziauddin Sardar...

Introducing Series (1 - 10 of 121 books)
  • Introducing Aesthetics
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Aristotle
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Capitalism: A Graphic Guide
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Critical Theory
Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journeys of a Sceptical Muslim Why Do People Hate America? Introducing Cultural Studies Chaos for Beginners What Do Muslims Believe?: The Roots and Realities of Modern Islam