Start by marking “Introducing Islam” as Want to Read:
Introducing Islam

Introducing Islam

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  185 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The world of Islam--a graphic guide to the future of the Muslim world and the ramification for all of us.
Published (first published September 14th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Islam

OBSESSED
Finally finished! Took me a while. So I just found out who the author is and I'm not surprised to say I found this a little biased. What a loved about this book that it really is an introduction to islam, not that I need to read it or wholeheartedly believe everything it says as I am a practicing (hope) Muslim. I like that fact that the guide mentions the way Islam really is and was. It constantly mentions that Islam has been interpreted in many ways by Muslims and Non Muslims. It really does me ...more
Yanurisa Ananta
actually the title of the book i read is "mengenal islam for begginers" but i can't find in this site. so i choose this book because because the cover is just the same (hehehe) maybe the contain also the same.

i'm a muslim and actually i don't really know about my belief. so i think i have to enrich my knowledge about my religion. first, the author explain about Muhammad saw then about his struggle when he explain islam to society of Mecca. then it also describe about muslim contribution in the d
Tim
This was a great little primer on the history and teachings of Islam, which is something that I had been seeking for some time. This is part of a series of such books from Britain's Icon Books. It is very well illustrated (by Malik) with drawings derived from Islamic artistic and decorative traditions. The text is clear and concise, and it is a pretty quick read. Nevertheless, I spent a fair amount of time with it, reading some sections over several times. Despite the simplicity of the work, it ...more
Muhamad Ridwan
Jun 02, 2015 Muhamad Ridwan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini menjelaskan secara garis besar tentang Islam. Isi bukunya mudah untuk dibaca dan dicerna. Cocok untuk orang awam yang ingin mengenal kulit luar dari Islam.
Azhar Hussain
Dec 28, 2015 Azhar Hussain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some common misconceptions about the Law of Shariah have been addressed well. A good read for anyone interested in Islamic studies.
Kolumbina
Jun 11, 2014 Kolumbina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Learnt a lot of things. The world would be a better and more peaceful place if more people would read this book. Really liked it and the pictures are really well done. "Intgroducing books" are a really good idea.
Shameer Nijar
More towards the technical build of islam. Architecture and etc, not much emotional insight aspect of the religion.
Octavia McAloon
Easy to follow introduction for someone with very little prior knowledge or study of Islam. However, I do wish that I had picked a book that spent less time explaining achievements of the Muslim community in the last millennium, and more time focusing on the actual teachings and origins of Islam (which only took up about the first 1/3 of this book).
Emal
Jun 07, 2016 Emal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is a decent introduction to Islam but sells itself as a book with nothing but truths. I didn't realise that the book was from the viewpoint of a Shia Muslim (which is irrelevant). The issue I have with the book is that it does not take a unbiased stance.
Alexandra
I think I'm too old for this series. I find the graphics and 'asides' made by the cartoons distracting and immature. Again, I wish the writers had backed up some of their statements regarding early islamic philosophers with facts, more details. As with other topics in this series, the bias of the authors was at times heavy-handed and condescending. A shame that it couldn't rise above the narrative style as there were moments it was genuinely interesting and well thought out.
Joseph Harriott
Feb 26, 2010 Joseph Harriott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hoped this would help me understand and develop respect for this Abrahamic religion, but no, it just left me saddened. It seemed to me a very politically correct description, stripped of the insightful analysis that these Introducing books usually summarise so well, and that I was hoping for. (The things that worry me about Islam are discussed at http://muslimsagainstsharia.blogspot.com)
Katie Lynn
I certainly want to learn more, this is very tip o' the iceberg. And I wonder about their objectivity. No real reason to doubt, but it is such a succinct introduction that it makes me curious.

03/2016. Read again (oops). Found this thought interesting: that problems do not stem from colonization, but from the state of being ripe for colonization.
za
Sep 03, 2007 za rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini adalah buku seri For Beginners yang aku beli pertama. Buku ini aku beli dekat-dekat waktu Ramadhan. Sardar menjelaskan secara singkat mengenai sejarah Nabi Muhammad. Tidak cuma sampai wafatnya Nabi Muhammad, tapi juga hingga generasi sahabat, kejayaan Islam di Abad Pertengahan, hingga Islam di masa aktual.
Jay Best
Sep 28, 2013 Jay Best rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really nice intro to Islam, it seems simplistic but nit overly condescending. As an agnostic I was fascinated to find out more - while I am not sure of the accuracy, the format is easy and interesting to read. I have learned a lot which I hadn't previously known.
Nov 14, 2007 Edit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memudahkan untuk pembelajaran mengenai sejarah islam dari awal mulanya, disertai dengan ilustrasi dan cerita yang mudah untuk dipahami..Dengan penjelasan mengenai kemajuan umat islam di bidang iptek dan teknologi yang menjadi pencetus kemajuan saat ini
A.Maya Purnamasari
Buku Tyo yg nongkrong dikosan Deni sampe berdebu.. akhirnya bukan Deni yg baca.. haha... Dibaca maya, yok! Bagus, yok bukunya.... Bener2 for beginnes,, ditambah ilustrasi gambar2nya, plus informasi yg jarang ada dibuku pelajaran agama.. menarik!
Lewis
Jun 22, 2009 Lewis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting introduction to Islam - I learned loads of really fascinating facts, especially about Islamic scientific discoveries. However, the book is pretty biased in places, and tends to gloss over some areas.
Pedro Martinez
An essay explaining past, present and future of Islam. A huge challenge for less that 200 pages that I found quite balanced, illustrative but mere introduction to search for more.
Ali
Mar 22, 2013 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
buku yang menarik dari seorang ahli islam kontemporer, fasih dengan cultural studies dan antropologis. sedapp
Qonita
Feb 16, 2010 Qonita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
basic understanding about islam and more about the philosophy behind it. concise and inspiring.
Gerry
Feb 04, 2009 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good book for anyone who want to know about Islam in good and simple explanation.
Matt Kottman
Nov 26, 2012 Matt Kottman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Revisionist history.
Amrit Lally
Amrit Lally is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2016
Daniel Weigert
Daniel Weigert marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Willow Firstbrook
Willow Firstbrook rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Paul
Paul added it
May 29, 2016
Casseroll
Casseroll is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
Deepak Yadav
Deepak Yadav marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Patrick Cooley
Patrick Cooley rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Marquis De Sade
  • Introducing Stephen Hawking
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Romanticism (Introducing)
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Einstein for Beginners
  • أقدم لك لينين والثورة الروسية
  • أقدم لك الفلسفة
  • Psychology: A Graphic Guide to Your Mind & Behaviour
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Sociology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Critical Theory
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Genetics, New Edition (Introducing (Icon))
Ziauddin Sardar has written or edited 45 books over a period of 30 years, many with his long-time co-author Merryl Wyn Davies. Recent titles include Balti Britain: a Journey Through the British Asian Experience (Granta, 2008); and How Do You Know: Reading Ziauddin Sardar on Islam, Science and Cultural Relations (Pluto, 2006). The first volume of his memoirs is Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journey ...more
More about Ziauddin Sardar...