Start by marking “Hairy Maclary Scattercat” as Want to Read:
Hairy Maclary Scattercat

Hairy Maclary Scattercat (Hairy Maclary #3)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  415 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"Hairy Maclary felt bumptious and bustly, bossy and bouncy and frisky and hustly" Hairy Maclary, everyone's favourite dog, is busy chasing and hustling all the neighbourhood cats from Slinky Malinki to Pimpernel Pugh. But when he comes face to face with Scarface Claw, the toughest tomcat in town, it's Hairy Maclary's turn to be bustled, rustled and hustled!
Paperback
Published March 24th 2009 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Hairy Maclary Scattercat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hairy Maclary Scattercat

Caitlin
Oct 22, 2014 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Sharon
Jun 15, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Another great story from the very talented Lynley Dodd. Hairy Maclary is up to no good but having chased all the cat's in the neighbourhood, he is in for a very big surprise in the form of the toughest tom in town.
Erin
Sep 16, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children, parents, Anyone who wants to give a gift of reading.
Shelves: reviewed, recommended
Lynley Dodd is, as far as I'm concerned, a childhood hero. A genius of literary magic.
Her stories, and illustrations, are just the stuff a childhood should be full of! The stories are not only simple stories that most kids can - and will - relate to, but they are written in a delightful manner that makes them a joy to read, and to hear. I used to feel like the Pied Piper when I sat down to start reading a Lynley Dodd book to my kids at our local play-centre, because I would soon have a throng o
Alisha
Feb 23, 2014 Alisha rated it really liked it
I read this to my 5 year old nephew and he enjoyed it. I think that kids of both genders around this age would enjoy this book. Even I did!

The pictures accentuate the text beautifully and the rhyming makes it flow easily.

A great read.
Robin
Nov 22, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing
I cannot get enough of the adventures of Hairy Maclary and his friends! Their ridiculous names leave me in stitches! The vocabulary in the rhymes is wonderful and the illustrations are heartwarming and hilarious. Must read more...
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This book introduces the cats of the Hairy Maclary universe - I really should have read this before the others in the series that star cats (eg Slinky Malinki Catflaps and Slinky Malinki).

Like usual the rhyme, rhythm and illustrations are of high quality. Also like usual Lynley Dodd's dog characters are interesting and realistic, while the cats are one-dimensional and stereotypical.

Bek
Aug 08, 2015 Bek rated it it was amazing
Our house is a big fan of all the Hairy Maclary books, but being a cat family, we particularly love reading about Slinky Malinki and ol' Scarface Claw.
Hannah
Jan 05, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Hairy Maclary gets his just desserts at the end of this book. It's possibly my favorite Hairy Maclary story, for that reason.
Riker Mcfeely
Feb 23, 2014 Riker Mcfeely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats
Naughty doggie.
Amy
Sep 02, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This was a fun to read early picture book. The pictures were sweet and there was lots of rhyming. I can see it being the type of book you read to a toddler 15 times in a row.
Ingrid
Nov 29, 2010 Ingrid rated it liked it
I didn't particularly enjoy this book, but my son loved it,and even now (the book is back at the library) walks around exclaiming "Slinky Malinky!", "Pimpernel Pugh!".
Tara Calaby
The Hairy Maclary books are so much fun--and so wonderful to read out loud.
Christina
Nov 29, 2010 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Loved it! Love Lynley Dodd's books. Great children's stories.
Becca
May 18, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Dod
Manidipa Mandal
Manidipa Mandal marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Emkimo
Emkimo rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Merry
Merry added it
Jan 31, 2016
Joey
Joey rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Harriet Joldersma
Harriet Joldersma marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Karyn
Karyn rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Isaac
Isaac added it
Jan 15, 2016
Ezra Stearns
Ezra Stearns rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Lorna
Lorna added it
Jan 14, 2016
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Imagine
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • Mog the Forgetful Cat
  • Cockatoos
  • Jungle Drums
Lynley Dodd is New Zealand's bestselling children's author/artist. Her rhyming picture books featuring the irresistible Hairy Maclary, Slinky Malinki and friends are firm favourites, especially for reading aloud, all over the world.

THE BASICS
Born: Rotorua, New Zealand, July 5th 1941
Jobs: Art Teacher
Lives: Tauranga, New Zealand
First Book: My Cat Likes To Hide in Boxes, 1974

THE BOOKS
Lynley Dodd grad
More about Lynley Dodd...

Hairy Maclary (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Hairy Maclary's Bone
  • Hairy Maclary's Caterwaul Caper
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet (Picture Puffin)
  • Slinky Malinki