Start by marking “Hairy Maclary Scattercat” as Want to Read:
Hairy Maclary Scattercat

Hairy Maclary Scattercat (Hairy Maclary #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"Hairy Maclary felt bumptious and bustly, bossy and bouncy and frisky and hustly" Hairy Maclary, everyone's favourite dog, is busy chasing and hustling all the neighbourhood cats from Slinky Malinki to Pimpernel Pugh. But when he comes face to face with Scarface Claw, the toughest tomcat in town, it's Hairy Maclary's turn to be bustled, rustled and hustled!
Published March 24th 2009 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Hairy Maclary Scattercat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hairy Maclary Scattercat

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Best children's books EVER
342nd out of 1,120 books — 1,396 voters
The Story About Ping by Marjorie FlackThe Little House by Virginia Lee BurtonFive Children and It by E. NesbitMillions of Cats by Wanda GágThe Adventures of Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
Best Children's Books Most People Haven't Heard of...
296th out of 1,001 books — 699 voters

More lists with this book...

Another great story from the very talented Lynley Dodd. Hairy Maclary is up to no good but having chased all the cat's in the neighbourhood, he is in for a very big surprise in the form of the toughest tom in town.
Sep 16, 2014 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children, parents, Anyone who wants to give a gift of reading.
Shelves: reviewed, recommended
Lynley Dodd is, as far as I'm concerned, a childhood hero. A genius of literary magic.
Her stories, and illustrations, are just the stuff a childhood should be full of! The stories are not only simple stories that most kids can - and will - relate to, but they are written in a delightful manner that makes them a joy to read, and to hear. I used to feel like the Pied Piper when I sat down to start reading a Lynley Dodd book to my kids at our local play-centre, because I would soon have a throng o
I read this to my 5 year old nephew and he enjoyed it. I think that kids of both genders around this age would enjoy this book. Even I did!

The pictures accentuate the text beautifully and the rhyming makes it flow easily.

A great read.
I cannot get enough of the adventures of Hairy Maclary and his friends! Their ridiculous names leave me in stitches! The vocabulary in the rhymes is wonderful and the illustrations are heartwarming and hilarious. Must read more...
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This book introduces the cats of the Hairy Maclary universe - I really should have read this before the others in the series that star cats (eg Slinky Malinki Catflaps and Slinky Malinki).

Like usual the rhyme, rhythm and illustrations are of high quality. Also like usual Lynley Dodd's dog characters are interesting and realistic, while the cats are one-dimensional and stereotypical.

Our house is a big fan of all the Hairy Maclary books, but being a cat family, we particularly love reading about Slinky Malinki and ol' Scarface Claw.
Hairy Maclary gets his just desserts at the end of this book. It's possibly my favorite Hairy Maclary story, for that reason.
Riker Mcfeely
Naughty doggie.
This was a fun to read early picture book. The pictures were sweet and there was lots of rhyming. I can see it being the type of book you read to a toddler 15 times in a row.
I didn't particularly enjoy this book, but my son loved it,and even now (the book is back at the library) walks around exclaiming "Slinky Malinky!", "Pimpernel Pugh!".
Tara Calaby
The Hairy Maclary books are so much fun--and so wonderful to read out loud.
Loved it! Love Lynley Dodd's books. Great children's stories.
May 18, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
Belinda marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Riley Edwards
Riley Edwards marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
  • Imagine
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Wombat Stew
  • Mog the Forgetful Cat
  • Peek-a-Boo
  • You Choose
  • Flashing Fire Engines
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
Lynley Dodd is New Zealand's bestselling children's author/artist. Her rhyming picture books featuring the irresistible Hairy Maclary, Slinky Malinki and friends are firm favourites, especially for reading aloud, all over the world.

Born: Rotorua, New Zealand, July 5th 1941
Jobs: Art Teacher
Lives: Tauranga, New Zealand
First Book: My Cat Likes To Hide in Boxes, 1974

Lynley Dodd grad
More about Lynley Dodd...

Hairy Maclary (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Hairy Maclary's Bone
  • Hairy Maclary's Caterwaul Caper
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet (Picture Puffin)
  • Slinky Malinki