Start by marking “Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy” as Want to Read:
Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy (Hairy Maclary #1)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  10,732 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Hairy Maclary goes off for a walk in town, followed by a few friends. All is uneventful until they meet Scarface Claw, the toughest tom in town, and run for home. The story is told by a brilliant, cumulative rhyming text and terrific pictures.
Board book, 36 pages
Published July 4th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy

Clouds
Jun 08, 2013 Clouds rated it really liked it

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

It was my son's first birthday last week and the boy got so many presents we're struggling to
Jamie
Dec 30, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Rhyming book for kids. Well done but ca be a bit of a tongue twister after a while. No real plot just lots of dogs. If you want a good laugh from your kids, read this to them, faster each page!
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Aug 25, 2016 Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
Now this one I read AS A MUMMY to my little girl. I loved it more than she did I'm sure! That little girl is now nearly 23. God, I feel old :-/
Elizabeth Todd
Sep 02, 2013 Elizabeth Todd rated it it was amazing
Hairy Maclary by Lynley Dodd

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy is a fabulous book full of rhyme, repetition and rhythm – and funny animals! The book tells the story of scruffy dog Hairy Maclary meeting up with different dog friends who are all out for a walk. The dogs are all fantastically described, being all different shapes and sizes and are given fun, imaginative names. Each dog is happy to be outside, sniffing the air and snooping at every door, when suddenly they encounter Scarface Claw,
Sharon
Jun 26, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that I believe should be on every child's bookshelf. The tale of the little mischievous dog and all his friends, they gather together and scout about town till they meet someone they dread......SCAREFACE CLAW.

A beautifully illustrated story that I believe can be shared by young and old alike and one that can be read again and again but never gets old.
Marita Hansen
Apr 22, 2013 Marita Hansen rated it it was amazing
A classic Kiwi story which my kids loved when they were little.
Jessica
Nov 16, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own
I love this book. I discovered it when I was younger, and had no idea that not only was it still in print, but that there were a whole string of books that came after it! My sister just got my daughter all of them, and they are all charming. But there's just something about this little dog, nothing but a pile of hair, marching down the street, collecting all his friends, like Hercules Morse, as big as a horse, only to be chased away by the vicious Slinky Malinki! Beginning readers love the rhyme ...more
Aly
Jul 05, 2016 Aly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I named my two turtles after characters from this book when I was a kid.
Thomas Edmund
Dec 30, 2016 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing
Seems kinda cheap to use children's books on my Goodreads book challenge, but quickly frankly I've read these books so many times I think its counts the same as a novel!

The other thing about reading these books many many times is the mind starts to get a bit 'beautiful' about it. I've started to make inferences about the owners of each pup involved in this story based on the dog and the brief snippet of front gate we get for each introduction. Worse I've started asking more questions, why are th
DadReads
May 05, 2016 DadReads rated it it was amazing
I felt a natural affinity for Hairy Maclary when I was little. He was from Donaldson’s Dairy, I was from Coverdale’s Dairy. He was small and a bit scruffy. So was I. All he shared in common with his mates was location and species, but that was all they needed. Much like me and my primary school friends.

But I recently discovered something alarming about Hairy Maclary, something that I never would have suspected when I was a kid. We were from completely different kinds of dairy. Mine was a farm wh
Blythe Williams
Sep 30, 2016 Blythe Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ks1, favourites
One of my favourite books as a child!
Sebastian Chaoui
Dec 17, 2016 Sebastian Chaoui rated it it was amazing
The plot was riveting, Lynley Dodd will be the next Mark Twain.
Saadia Munshi
Oct 04, 2013 Saadia Munshi rated it really liked it
This book centres around a little Scruffy dog called Hairy Maclary who goes out for a walk around the town with friends. During the story the reader is introduced to his friends one by one along with a lovely description that matches their appearance. As the story progress the group of dogs gets larger and larger, but then they meet a big scary cat called scarface claw. Upon seeing the cat the dogs run away as fast as they can.

This book is a great book for Ks1 children. since the dogs are descri
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 04/07/2002
Author: Lynley Dodd
Recommended for: Children

I absolutelty loved this book as a child. It is a book I think every child should read at some stage in there life. My mum got sick of reading it for a bed time story...must have read it over 20times. I still treasure it and will always do. Love this book and the pictures and of course all of the characters! This is the type of book that children will remember the characters of and will help bring fond memories from their childhood
Sylvester
Nov 18, 2015 Sylvester rated it it was amazing
3* art
5* story/rhyme

Fun in so many ways. Squirt, the anarchist, instead of saying the expected "..AND...Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy.." would yell "POOPY!!" Which was just as good, although it didn't rhyme.
Lucy Sands
Jan 08, 2016 Lucy Sands rated it it was amazing
A children's classic that should be on everybody's bookshelf! Children love the clever use of rhythm and rhyme and always join in when it comes to saying 'Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy'. Lovely story with a slight fear factor from scarface claw! A true gem of a book :-)
Dee-Ann
Mar 03, 2013 Dee-Ann rated it it was amazing
Read this with my osn last night. This is part of a naitonal reading program.

Fun, lots of repetitive components, which helps to boost my son's confidence and is a botu a topic he loves, dogs!
India Lees
Oct 09, 2016 India Lees rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ks1, rhyme
Used to love this book when I was younger, and still love it just as much when I recently revisited it.

Would be great to use an example of rhyming in class, as well as description.
Lisa
Super rhyming.
Aymin Sultan
Feb 06, 2017 Aymin Sultan rated it really liked it
Shelves: listofbetterment
Although there is no real plot, this book is enjoyable to read due to the continuous rhyme throughout and simple, but attractive, illustrations. After reading a couple of times children may be able to recite themselves due to the rhyme and repetition of phrases as the story builds up. More detailed drawings could make the book better, as mentioned they are quite simplistic often just showing the dog coming out the front of its house. Although the current ones could open up for discussion wth chi ...more
Rachel Thomason
Aug 31, 2014 Rachel Thomason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2-8 Year olds
This review was completed as a component of INF533- Literature in Digital Environments as a part of completing my Masters of Education (Knowledge Networks and Digital Innovation) through Charles Sturt University, Australia.
Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy (Penguin New Zealand) for iPad is an app version of the very popular children’s book of the same name, Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy (Lynley Dodd 1983). It is an interactive version of the children’s book that I purchased through the
Aimee Walters-Mabbott
Oct 27, 2016 Aimee Walters-Mabbott rated it really liked it
A great book to share with children to illustrate rhyme. This used to be one of my favourite bedtime stories when I was younger, my personal copy of this book is so worn due to the amount of times it has been read! I still love this book today!
Kirsty
Nov 05, 2016 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
Love this book, excellent for reading to toddlers. I just have to say the first line and my little girl runs to her bookshelf to grab it!
David Edgren
Feb 06, 2017 David Edgren rated it it was amazing
A lot of fun for the little ones. They love joining in.
Here's me reading it aloud.
Mitchell
Dec 29, 2016 Mitchell rated it it was ok
Dumb. Maybe I'd feel better about it if I was a dog person. But the writing is boring and repetitive. The art is not all that interesting. And there is no real story.
Cruth
Book 3, Day 3 - Mini Family Classics from News Limited.

First published in 1983.
Lynley Dodd is both author and illustrator.
New Zealand author.

(A "dairy" in this context is a corner shop).

"Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy" is the first of Dodd's Hairy Maclary series. It introduces characters who re-appear in later books (eg Hairy Maclary, Schnitzel von Krumm). Children (and adults) find the predictability of a series with known characters appealing.

Written in an easy, flowing rhythmic verse wi
Bonnie
Sep 15, 2014 Bonnie rated it liked it
Hairy MaClary from Donaldson’s Dairy
Lynley Dodd.
Reading age: 0-5 year olds.

A fascinating l little book full of lyrical rhyme and colourful pictures. The simple rhymes in this book make it a great way to introduce children the lyrical fun of poetry.

Lynley Dodd tells the story of a group of dogs that get scared by a cat and run home. The repetition in the poetry makes the reading fun and familiar for children, while the images aid the poem. The rhyming of the dogs names and description is very cle
Emily
Aug 17, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
Hairy Maclary is a short but sweet story of a little dog that goes for a walk and is joined by many furry friends, however the encounter of tough tom ‘Scarface Claw’, causes a yowl, wail and howl and all the dogs go straight back home to bed.

What makes this book special is the cumulative and repetitive rhyming style used to describe the dogs. For example, ‘Bottomley Potts covered in spots’ and ‘Schnitzel von Krumm with a very low tum’. These descriptors are added to a long list every time Hairy
Farhana
Feb 22, 2015 Farhana rated it liked it
Hairy Maclary written by Lynley Dodd is a children picture book about a fictional dog called Hairy Maclary taking an adventure with his animal friends. The dogs were of all sizes and breeds; the dachshund Schnitzel von Krumm, dalmatian Bottomley Potts and Old English sheepdog Muffin McClay who were all enjoying a light walk until they came across the tomcat Scarface Claw the toughest Tom in town. And then all of the dogs dash off home wailing and howling.

Hairy Maclary is a simple read for KS1 a
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Year 1 1 1 May 29, 2015 09:40AM
  • Peek-a-Boo
  • Possum Magic
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • Dogger
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
  • Meg and Mog
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Mister Magnolia
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)
  • Window
  • Winnie the Witch
  • Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?
Lynley Dodd is New Zealand's bestselling children's author/artist. Her rhyming picture books featuring the irresistible Hairy Maclary, Slinky Malinki and friends are firm favourites, especially for reading aloud, all over the world.

THE BASICS
Born: Rotorua, New Zealand, July 5th 1941
Jobs: Art Teacher
Lives: Tauranga, New Zealand
First Book: My Cat Likes To Hide in Boxes, 1974

THE BOOKS
Lynley Dodd grad
More about Lynley Dodd...

Hairy Maclary (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Hairy Maclary's Bone
  • Hairy Maclary Scattercat
  • Hairy Maclary's Caterwaul Caper
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet (Picture Puffin)
  • Slinky Malinki