Start by marking “Pezzettino” as Want to Read:
Pezzettino

Pezzettino

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Pezzettino lives in a world in which everyone is big and does daring and wonderful things. But he is small, just a “little piece,” which is the meaning of pezzettino in Italian. “I must be a piece of somebody. I must belong to someone else,” he thinks. How Pezzettino learns that he belongs to no one but himself is the joyous and satisfying conclusion to this beautiful mosa ...more
Published January 10th 2012 by Dragonfly Books (first published August 12th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Pezzettino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pezzettino

Katelyn Krigbaum
Oct 01, 2014 Katelyn Krigbaum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Pezzettino isn't like the average book. The illustrations are of things like cubes and wavy lines that had you not read the text would not have understood what was going on. However, without the illustrations, the text would not have been clear either. Therefore the pictures and the text play off each other so that the book is better understood. The book is about a small cube looking to be something greater and bigger and he eventually, he realizes that who he is now is just as great as ...more
Frances
Apr 24, 2012 Frances rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: acceptance, community
1.Pezzettino means (little piece)in Italian. I love this story.
2.This is a great story to talk about self worth, and how we are all apart of one another.
3.Leo lionni is a wonderful story teller I must read more of his stories.

Extended Activity

In this story Pezzettino went on a journey and found many encounters who were much larger than he was, and they were all made up of small pieces.I would give students small colored blocks and encurage the students to recreate the characters in the story.Als
Monica
My friend Erin introduced me to Leo Lionni. My son loves his books and Pezzettino is my personal favorite. Really, how much more existential can a children's book be?
Elameno
Mar 03, 2012 Elameno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book always leaves me with a glowing, happy feeling about my life by the time I get to the last page. <3
Allie Bennett
Apr 10, 2016 Allie Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Pezzetino can be taught in a Pre-K through 1st grade class. Students can create their own creatures and name them just as this book has its own unique creatures with special names. This can be used to explore creativity and individuality.
Marjorie Cummings
Great story of a little piece in a world of large things, that believes he is part of something...so he searches for it. Ultimately he realizes that he belongs to no one but himself...he alone is enough!!!
Tiffany
Feb 02, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-k
Listened to an audio version of this book and completed an activity during a training. Give kids Duplos blocks and have them construct a character from the book or their choosing.
Michael Fitzgerald
I guess there is some kind of touchy-feely "I'm OK, you're OK" message to this, but the story is not compelling. I do like the art, especially the combination of different media.
Tiffany
May 10, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children generally
My 2-year-old is on my lap as I write this cuddling her new Pezzettino book. Some kids cuddle stuffed animals - Keetah loves books, and this was an instant hit. It's a story about a "piece" who is so small, he wonders if he is a piece of someone else (Pezzettino means "piece" in Italian). In the end, he finds himself and declares to everyone "I am myself!" My little one seems to relate to this tiny creature on a deep level - she wanted me to read it over and over and over to her tonight. Great m ...more
joanna Sondheim
Jul 14, 2012 joanna Sondheim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Lionni tale about fitting in, Pezzettino is an orange block, who lives in a world of multi-colored block creatures. He roams around trying to find a creature who he can be a piece of, but with no luck. The conclusion, in which he finally finds where he belongs, is a lovely one, and the simple block illustrations, and bright colors, are not only appealing to adult eyes, but accessible to the very young as well.
Christy
This was an interesting book, I thought the message was crafted neatly into the story and made it "fit". I did like the colors and shapes of the characters in this book, they made me smile. I would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Magda
Jun 29, 2008 Magda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His name was Pezzettino. All the others were big and did daring and wonderful things. He was small and surely must be a little piece of somebody else, he thought. He often wondered whose little piece he could be, and one day he decided to find out.
Rocheal Hoffman
Simple book to build on character development. A little piece wanders around, trying to figure out where he fits in. Finally he discovers that he is himself. Simple as that! Maybe best for special education.
Amy
Feb 26, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Little Piece! Sharing this story in art classes always inspires... I like everything about this book. I have taken it out of the library four times in the last year.
Guadalupe Ramirez
Lionni style of writing reminds me of Eric Carle's style of writing which I absolutely love. This is a great book to teach area in mathematics.
Christine Turner
Little Pezzettino is so small he is convinced he must be a piece of somebody else. A wise man helps him discover the truth.

www.hcpl.net
Chase.curriculum
Assigned:
2012 July ELL310
2014 May, ELL310
Roxy Reno
I have the bowling ball to prove it
M.
Nov 12, 2012 M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A book about figuring out who you are.
Gail
May 19, 2011 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Great pictures, good for a read-aloud.
Ruthie
Jan 16, 2012 Ruthie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great concept/illustrations/story
Cana
Jun 11, 2010 Cana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy says: a classic!
Grace Hampton
Grace Hampton marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Karen Eckberg
Karen Eckberg rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Beth Syverson
Beth Syverson marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
  • Big Bear Little Chair
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Hailstones and Halibut Bones
FROM PUBLISHER:
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international