Start by marking “The Wild Grass and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Wild Grass and Other Stories

The Wild Grass and Other Stories

Davin Malasarn's short stories and flash fiction have earned multiple awards, including two Pushcart Prize nominations and the PEN Center USA Emerging Voices Fellowship. The pieces collected here represent Malasarn's most emotional and personal work over the last ten years. Readers will be transported around the world and into the depths of the human heart.

In the opening
Published May 26th 2011 by Createspace (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Grass and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Grass and Other Stories

Judy Croome
Jun 23, 2011 Judy Croome rated it it was amazing
Only after I’d finished the story “Bohemian,” with the careless egocentrism of its central character so subtly constructed, did I realise why I recognised Davin Malarsan’s style. There’s a piercing sparseness to his tales, reminiscent of the way Kazuo Ishiguro uses clean-cut phrases and precise description to reflect the deepest ideas.

In his wide-ranging stories, Malarsan doesn’t pull any punches: many of his characters’ surface simplicity hides complex emotions that capture the reader with the
Nicholas Corduan
Jan 23, 2016 Nicholas Corduan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for literature that is accessible
Recommended to Nicholas by: self
Disclosure: I know the author personally. Because of that I don't want to write about how great these stories are, even though I think they are. Instead I'll say this:

Malasarn's is both clean and evocative.

Malasarn's stories are populated by the kind of people I know, but seen differently.

Malasarn's stories are immersive. He creates moments and he pulls you into them.

The first time I read these stories I was on vacation. I was on the beach by a lake. I took the book and went out and sat in the w
Linda Lewis
Jun 19, 2011 Linda Lewis rated it it was amazing
One of the strengths of Davin Malasarn’s writing is his ability to make his characters, no matter the age, sex, nationality, or status, real and familiar to the reader. I was continually surprised to feel I’d lived a story, though he wrote of an experience foreign to me.

It’s no surprise that several in this collection of stories, written in beautiful, clean prose, have been nominated for the Pushcart Prize and won or placed in competitions. The only negative for me is that I reached the last sto
Rick Daley
Jul 22, 2011 Rick Daley rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this collection. There was a diversity to the characters in the stories, but the themes that run through them are the tie that binds. My favorites were "Delores" and "Bohemian" but all are worth reading. Davin Malasarn's writing has a fine literary quality to it; there are layers under what is shown through the story, and the characters have depth. I'm glad I had the opportunity to get to know them as I read this book.
Donna Hole
Donna Hole rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Kathy
Aug 26, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story collection. Beautiful writing. I highly recommend this.
Jamie DeBree
Jun 08, 2011 Jamie DeBree rated it it was amazing
Review to come...
Jennifer Zobair
Jennifer Zobair rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Scott Bailey
Scott Bailey rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Richda Mcnutt
Richda Mcnutt rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2016
Nath Jones
Nath Jones rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2011
Louiza
Louiza marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2011
Tamara Staples
Tamara Staples marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2011
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2011
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2012
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
Pooja
Pooja marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016