Start by marking “One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-By-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good” as Want to Read:

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  105 reviews
The organized way to get organized: a week-by-week plan to forever streamline all aspects of your life
Published January 1st 2008 by Da Capo Press (first published December 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about One Year to an Organized Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Year to an Organized Life

Anne-Marie
I was sick when I read this so perhaps I didn't give it much of a chance. However, it was the same advice in a different book. But it had Ducks in a Row on the front cover! And that is how I want my ducks! So I bought it!

I prefer to sit and read organizational books in my messy, unorganized home rather than actually getting up off my ass to do something about it. It’s like reading a weight loss manual while eating Cool Ranch Doritos and chugging Dr. Pepper.

The thing is, I used to be super clean
Shevonne
Nov 26, 2008 Shevonne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who dont know about time management and organization
Recommended to Shevonne by: No One
This book is really good for someone who doesn't have any clue how to organize their household. However, I have read tons of books on time management and organization, so I didn't learn much from this book. Being that I know tons on the subject, I think this book is great for people who don't know much. It gives you wonderful tips in a way that will make you slowly become a time management and organization guru. If your house is a mess, then this is the book to pick up.
Maria Turley
This book is so easy to read and so easy to follow, that if you can take some of Regina's tips and apply them to your own situation, you will be on the way to organizing your space and your life. She breaks down tasks into ways that make sense and make them manageable. I love Regina's conversational style - reading her books is like talking to the woman herself, and she is the kind of person you will want to have as a friend. She also asks you to dig a little deeper inside yourself to discover p ...more
Rose
Not very much to say about this guide in that it's a standard organizational book that tackles rooms in the home one at a time, with a proposal of getting organized completely within a year's time and having fun in the process of keeping to those habits. I listened to the audiobook version of the book and actually rather liked it, but found that it didn't apply to me but in spurts. This is definitely a guide for those who want to manage their time and organization - and have families and their o ...more
Jennifer Miera
May 05, 2008 Jennifer Miera rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the disorganized masses
Can't say that the author had a particularly new slant to the whole organization thing, though I did pick up a tip or two on filing. The organization of the book (dividing it up into 12 months) was original, but didn't really seem to work as a concept. Basically, it comes down to 1. Get rid of things you don't use or for which you don't have an immediate need. 2. Think about how you use your space and organize accordingly. 3. Find a system that works for you and maintain it.
If you are completel
Rebecca
"Why do YOU need to read a book about getting organized?" asked my husband, which was gratifying. But I got a lot out of Leeds' approach, especially when it comes to big projects (like cleaning out a garage, or moving house). She and I part ways on some things -- I wish she'd included one's local historical society as a possible donation site (she threw out all her mother's grade-school notebooks!) -- but overall her advice is sound and her approach appropriately upbeat. I borrowed this from the ...more
Jen B
The idea behind Regina Leeds' book is that you break down each area of your house month by month and devote the entire month to reorganizing it. At the end of the year, voila, your life is completely organized. Since I only had the book for two weeks from the library, that wasn't going to work -- so I read the whole thing and took the tips I needed...and I think I can accomplish a lot of what Leeds writes about in much less than a year.

Her method of thinking about organizing is a good one, and i
Elizabeth
I like the author's overall plan. Instead of becoming an Organized Person in one fell swoop (and burning out in the process), Leeds has you tackle one area per month and breaks each month down into a week-by-week plan. Sometimes this is an area of your house, such as tackling the kitchen in January or the bathroom in April. Other times, you reorganize an area of activity: in August, learn to plan a move; in November, plan Thanksgiving dinner (and how to throw parties in general).

Unfortunately, I
E
Week-by-week detailed steps for organizing your life

Regina Leeds starts with your mother’s philosophy: There’s a place for everything. She provides all the details you need week-by-week and month-by-month to help you stop searching for keys and remote controls, and quit wondering when your dental appointment is. With her help, you can change from time-wasting time mode to “just do it” mode. The weekly organizational activities on her agenda range from one hour to a full day, though she rarely as
David
I have discovered this about myself. I enjoy reading "how to get organized" books. I have spent most of my whole life trying to get organized. I have variously successful at this at different times.

It would be fun to try this for a year. The reader is given 12 different projects to do. Four sub tasks exist in each task. Each task begins with a journaling exercise about you and the particular task topic.

The setup of this book fits right into my sense of ordering or attempt there to. But I know2
Angela
This was an interesting book. It takes organizing your life and your home and breaks it down into 12 one month programs for you to work with. I haven't been able to do some of the suggested things yet because of life complications, but I am still referencing it to help me get organized and be organized. When we are organized, we have more time to do the things we enjoy, instead of spending 2 hours looking for car keys we lost, or library books that are overdue and missing in action. I would rath ...more
Linda
I like to be organized but no matter what I do after I clean, I still find myself once again creating piles and making my house look messy!

This book has a breakdown, room by room for organizing. Each chapter has lots of tips and ideas. Leeds says readers shouldn't try to do it all at once and that when working on organizing we should reward ourselves when we complete a task

I am planning to go room by room, one a month, to clean and organize. Once done, I plan on working very hard too keep it cle
Desiree
Mar 13, 2008 Desiree rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to be organized
This book is great! It is supposed to take you a year to read because it is written by months and weeks. It gives step by step directions and tips and goes room by room. At the beginning of every month you are supposed to answer her "journal" questions and write them down, so it takes effort for the reader to really get organized. I have to warn you though, it gives great suggestions and makes you want to buy a ton of organizing tools, but I think it is totally worth it.
Sandra
I liked this so much that I ordered my own copy to read and reference back as I become "organized" this year. I like that it breaks up the areas in my house into easily manageable tasks to do every week. I don't feel nearly as overwhelmed as I do when I embark on this same clean out project every January. Here's hoping to a more organized life and home.
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
I really like the approach to this book. Every month there is a different room or area to work on. Each week of the month is divided into certain tasks that pertain to the room or area you are working on. It doesn't feel so overwhelming and you can start anywhere you would like.
Mo
Jan 16, 2008 Mo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book from Barnes & Noble in early January and it has still not arrived! When I went into the store, they said it was sold out in the entire DC metro area. I cannot wait until this book arrives. My New Years' Resolution is to get myself organized to save my sanity.
Trisha

This is an excellent book to read every month to organize one room or area at a time. I skipped through some chapters that dealt with young families . Excellent chapter on moving organizing Christmas and thanksgiving. Highly reccommend.
Maryc Cody
This book has really helped me to organize my home and life. I have read through most of it except the chapter on moving, which I do not plan on doing in the near future.
Really great ideas for staying on top of tasks.
Janis

This is a great book - I have worked on it now for 2 years. I always thought I was pretty organized, but this book gave some great ideas about the small things in my home...and life...that always bothered me!
Dracolibris
I've read through this book enough to know that I need to return the library's copy and order my own copy. We will be doing our best to follow the steps outlined in this book in 2013. Wishing myself luck!
Lisa H
Oct 06, 2010 Lisa H marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm not particularly into self-help books, but if this helps me get organized, I'm all for it. I've already cleaned out a LOT of junk that was cluttering my house and my well-being!
Jenna
Sep 06, 2009 Jenna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am learning that I need to do little chunks of organizing. The house did not get messy in a day & it won't get clean in a day either. Twenty years of stuff is getting pared way down.
Hanje Richards
I found some pretty good information and some inspiration in this book. It's all part of a process, right? So...it was a few more steps along my path.
Steele Dimmock
This book wasn't suitable to my needs. There is good information but some rudimentary parts (like putting away Christmas decorations) felt a little too detailed and padded out with minute.

I know the zen, yogi and spiritual aspect is the author's hook but if found it unnecessary - the straight facts would have been adequate.

The little golden bits of info that I did gleam were:
* Piles are unmade decisions made visible
* Children take emotional cues from their parents
* Some people are martyrs that
Allison
I've recently been through quite a few books on organization/clutter control and this one was a standout.
Gwendoline Van
I think I must be organized? The biggest takeaway: Organized people think differently. They think in terms of time. They think how long a task, project, chore, whatever might take them. Then, they structure their days, weeks, months in terms of those nuggets of time ... and, having organization in the home, finances, kitchen, holidays, and more, is all about maximizing time, free of clutter and of the weight of the past.

For the organized, it's a reminder to look at how you're spending your days
Rebecca Ferres
I have used this book for years. It has helped me tremendously
Mycala
Some good ideas here. It's set up in a monthly format with themes that make no sense to me. For instance, moving is in August... I would hate to move every year, and why August? She has some good things to say about moving -- I think maybe a different format would have worked better than a monthly calendar.

Another thing that kind of bothered me was it seemed like there were a lot of suggestions in here to go shopping for more stuff. I'm more of a minimalist. I'm all for updating and having nice
Jamie
I know how to organize and create systems, in theory. What I'm not so good at is breaking down a large, overwhelming task (like cleaning out the attic) into smaller, manageable pieces. Regina Leeds specializes not just in organization, but also in motivation. This book is really about setting aside time and making organization a priority.

I always think, "I'll sort through the kitchen cabinets after the rest of the house is clean," but if you don't set things up properly in the first place, the
Jackie
Jun 30, 2008 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who feels a little out of control or at least in need of some organization
Recommended to Jackie by: Mom
Shelves: good-health
I read this in during a time of my life that felt most disorganized, chaotic, and out of control. My mom gave me this book, and I thought it would just be about physically organizing my home, but instead, it's actually about organizing yourself mentally and emotionally then physically.

The author takes you on a step by step process of imagining and reflecting on why you are the way you are--why you are always late or why you impulse buy or why you can't seem to find your keys. Through reflection
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week
  • How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-by-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Organizing for Your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper, and Stuff
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Absolutely Organized: Moms Guide to a No-Stress Schedule and Clutter-Free Home
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning, and Calm the Chaos
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • It's Hard to Make a Difference When You Can't Find Your Keys: The Seven-Step Path to Becoming Truly Organized
  • Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You
  • Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It!
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
Professional Organizer. New York Times best selling author of 9 books. Speaker.
More about Regina Leeds...
The 8 Minute Organizer: Easy Solutions to Simplify Your Life in Your Spare Time One Year to an Organized Financial Life: From Your Bills to Your Bank Account, Your Home to Your Retirement, the Week-by-Week Guide to Achieving Financial Peace of Mind One Year to an Organized Work Life: From Your Desk to Your Deadlines, the Week-by-Week Guide to Eliminating Office Stress for Good One Year to an Organized Life with Baby: From Pregnancy to Parenthood, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Ready for Baby and Keeping Your Family Organized The Complete Idiot's Guide to Decluttering (Complete Idiot's Guide)