Start by marking “The Ragtime Kid” as Want to Read:
The Ragtime Kid

The Ragtime Kid (Ragtime Trilogy #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Brun Campbell, a 15-year-old piano-playing fool, hears Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag" played one 1898 afternoon in Oklahoma City. It's destiny calling. Asking for ragtime lessons, he's told, "No, Ragtime is colored music." So Brun runs away from the family farm to Sedalia, Missouri, to persuade Joplin to take him on as a pupil. What Brun doesn't expect is to trip over the ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Ragtime Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ragtime Kid

John Price
Very entertaining book....good storyline. Held my attention from beginning to end. Music lovers should enjoy this one.
Shawana M. Turner
Good read

I choose this rating, because it kept my interest, and it provided a little history. Enjoy the book. Again a good read.
Miles
Larry Karp did a good job researching for this book. While the plot is fiction the characters are real. Because I grew up in southern California as an early 'Baby Boomer' I was not exposed to racial discrimination like the people in the book. I learned all the slurs although I mostly refrained from speaking in generalizations. Some of the behavior that takes place in this book would not be tolerated today, most places. I am not a fan of 'Ragtime' music, however I learned a few things I didn't kn ...more
Patricia Miguela Alpay
Having little background on ragtime music, i find this book very interesting. I thought the characters were purely fictional, except for Scott Joplin of course.

Its a great read--its about a period in music history where the music of the colored people are neglected and unacknowleged. Galing! Now imma gon to do some more research about this period in music.
Yvonna
This book rambled enough that I found it extremely difficult to continue reading after the second chapter. I struggled to finish as I do not like to leave anything uncompleted. What seems to be accurate research the author did to write this book was the only thing that kept me from giving it a 1-star rating.
Beverly
The ragtime background and history kept me reading this book. The writing did not. If the rule of writing is "show, don't tell," this author hadn't heard it. Long explanatory sections slowed down the story telling. I'm going to try a sample of the next of the trilogy, hoping that the writing will improve. That said, the author did what I wish every author of this type of work would do--at the end he told who was real, who was not, and what happened to them. Thanks, Larry Karp.
Bob
I love ragtime music, and find the lives of the ragtime composers very interesting. This is the first of a trilogy using Scott Joplin, Brun Campbell, Joe Lamb, Tom Turpin and other real people but fictionalized into mystery stories.
The writing isn't great, but it's good enough, and it's very intricately plotted and thoroughly researched. It keeps you turning the pages, and was quite enjoyable.
Irma Walter
Sure an interesting introduction into a time and place I used to know nothing about. Pretty credibly crafted story around facts and figures. It sounds pretty unbelievable today that music sheets would be a highly coveted business, but it's easy to forget that everything was live entertainment then and there was no reproduced music.
Mary
It took me almost a month to finish this. The mystery somehow got bogged down in Brun Campbell's explanations and opinions. The characters for the most part are real people and Sedalia, Kansas was indeed the birthplace of Ragtime. The writer needs to hone his writing skill. I don't think I have the patience to tackle the other two installments of the trilogy.
Gayle Kee
I thought this book was a mystery but I guess most of it was true as well. A good book
Jeny Robertson
I loved the characters in this book. I loved the history in this book. I did not like the style of writing however. It took me a really long time to finish this book because of that. I got so bored with how long winded the author was. Gla to be done with it.
Rebecca
An enjoyable historical mystery. Some unexpected twists, but most of the information was available to the reader. The story is good enough to make me willing to forgive the little bit that was hidden.
Elyse Bontrager
Elyse Bontrager marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Marjie
Marjie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Harvina Britain
Harvina Britain marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
jamie
jamie marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Khadija
Khadija marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Oct 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Flame of Resistance
  • How Huge the Night
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • The Phantom Of Valletta
  • Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story
  • The Books of Rachel
  • Broken Identity
  • The Blood upon the Rose
  • Dangerous Attractions
  • Anything but a Gentleman
  • The Spruce Gum Box
  • Interrupted Aria (Tito Amato, #1)
  • The City of Refuge
  • The Whiskey Tide
  • They Met at Shiloh
  • Concealed Power (The Healers of Meligna, #1)
  • Strong Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #1)
  • Blue Hole (Ozark Mountains Series)
Larry Karp practiced perinatal medicine and wrote general nonfiction before turning his back on medical work to write mystery novels full-time. The backgrounds and settings of Larry's mysteries reflect many of his interests, including musical antiques, medical-ethical issues, and ragtime music. His current book, The King of Ragtime, the second work in a ragtime mystery trilogy, centers on a real-l ...more
More about Larry Karp...
A Perilous Conception: A Detective Baumgartner Mystery First, Do No Harm The Music Box Murders The King of Ragtime Scamming the Birdman