Start by marking “Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls, #2)

Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  898 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Forty years after the Oblivion crisis, the empire of Tamriel is threatened by a mysterious floating city, Umbriel, whose shadow spawns a terrifying undead army.

Reeling from a devastating discovery, Prince Attrebus continues on his seemingly doomed quest to obtain a magic sword that holds the key to destroying the deadly invaders. Meanwhile, in the Imperial City, the spy C
Published September 27th 2011 by Del Rey (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lord of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of Souls

Jesse
"Stop right there, hack author scum! You've taken a rich fantasy world and boiled it down to tasteless mush! Now pay the court a fine or it's off to jail!"

I wanted to like these books and despite getting the feeling of the Elder Scrolls universe very wrong found the previous book in the series The Infernal City to be tolerable. Lord of Souls, along with each of it's characters story lines completely falls apart by the end.

If you want to read something amazing and Elder Scrolls related, an ingen
Lucy Cokes
Perhaps I have shocked people a little, being one of the very few who have given this book five stars. You would have thought reading English Literature at university had really refined my criticism skills when reading books but this is not so - case in point, Lord of Souls.

I really, really enjoyed this book. It gave me shivers of delight when I recognised mentions of things I recognise, whilst at the same time providing die-hard fans who think they know everything about this world they're immer
Michael
As an experienced gamer who’s played the last two Elder Scrolls roleplaying games, Morrowind and Oblivion, I grabbed at the chance to learn even more about one of the most realistic and epic fantasy gaming worlds ever created.

Reading “Lord of Souls” seemed a sure-fire way to immerse myself once again in the sophisticated, detailed culture, history and politics of Tamriel, a continent on the planet of Nim filled with countries and kingdoms, cults and cabals, guilds and governments, wizards and w
Janne Varvára
This is the latter part of two novels, which reads very much like one continuous novel (I don't at all understand why it was published as two books), so it was only natural that I had to know what was going to happen.

Overall, this is quality writing. Even though I'm not wetting myself over it, the novels are a testament to the author's solid abilities and talent. He shows that, *and* experience.
It's not an absolutely amazing novel, but all-round well executed, both in terms of characters, plot a
I really wanted to like this series. After reading The Infernal City and being neither blown away nor disappointed by it, this sequel was a bit of a let down for me, both in story/characterization and writing style.

One of the first and foremost things that sucked me right out of the book was the author's major faux pas of using "you" in the narration. Example (paraphrasing, can't remember the exact line): "The man's nose took up most of his face but what you really noticed were his blue eyes." U
Taylor
Just like its prequel, I absolutely adored this book. The characters are all their own with no crossing over of personalities and they are easy to connect with, their feelings are absorbed into your own mind as you read and you eventually begin to feel as though you are experiencing all of the events firsthand. I honestly don't believe that this could have been written any better, however, I would love for more novels based from this series, perhaps even printings of the in-game books. Overall, ...more
Alexia Chantel
Many want to bring it down, some covet its power, and few love it.

If you are a fan of Oblivion, Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls you will enjoy this book. You get to continue on the journeys of Annaig, Mere-Glim, Attrebus and Sul, and Colin. A delicately twisted tale in which Everyone's fates are affected by the floating city of Umbriel. The power plays are well planned out, deception and back stabbing abound.

There is so much going on with multiple characters it is difficult to know where to be
Stephanie
Lord of Souls (the Elder Scrolls Novel) Book 2

Second book in a series based on a game. I have never played the game nor read the first book The Infernal City. The 2nd book I won thru Goodreads first reads program. Even through I know nothing about the game or the 1st book, the 2nd book was an enjoyable read for me. The characters did have mystery about them with only a little history in regards to who they were and where they came from but it did not hinder my reading of the Lord of Souls. You d
Alyssa Archambo
Despite the fact that I haven't read the first book, nor have I played the game, I had no problem picking up on what was going on. It took a little bit, and I'm sure some of the finer details of the world were lost on me, but during no point in the book was I thinking, "What is going on?!" So I appreciate the fact that Greg Keyes did an awesome job in making this read like a stand-alone novel.

Besides that, it's a really interesting story. As is usual with fantasy, there are multiple viewpoints,
Christopher Stilson
It doesn't really assuage the anticipation for Skyrim, but for a quick delve into the Elder Scrolls universe, this duology works nicely. Individually, each book leaves something to be desired - the familiar Elder Scrolls elements are almost completely absent from the first book, while the second book jumps around too much to convey the impression of continuity that the games have - but collectively they are excellent representations of the universe.

The metaplot of the story is somewhat ridiculou
Becky
Well this once again proves to me don't read others review prior to reading the book. Most of the reviews out there said that it was to in-depth, and if you didn't know the story of the Elder Scrolls you would be lost, also that it was helpful to have read the first book. Knowing this I started with trepidation, I was worried I would be able to understand that the fantasy would be above me and that I wouldn't enjoy this book. I dreaded starting it, and kept putting it on the back burner when oth ...more
Tanya
The two Lord of Souls books bridge the gap between the Oblivion and Skyrim video games- well, sort of. Set a generation after Oblivion, it transports you to a world where the floating, bizarre city of Umbriel is making its slow and steady way towards The Imperial City, a hideous undead army in its shadow. Its up to a haphazard yet courageous group made up of various Elder Scrolls species to save the day. Although it touches briefly on the events of Oblivion, and a small part of the book is set i ...more
Margaret Fisher
I have been a fan of The Elder Scrolls for a number of years now, and when I heard the news of two novelizations that would "bridge the gap between Oblivion and TES V," I was apprehensive. Game-to-book adaptations rarely seem to turn out well, and I doubted these would be much of an exception. The Infernal City fit this description perfectly, but Lord of Souls took a much different approach. While its predecessor focused primarily on the inner workings of Umbriel and only had significant plot in ...more
Kristina Franken
Robert Beveridge
Greg Keyes, Lord of Souls (Del Rey, 2011)

When we last left the odd, but desperate, ensemble of characters attempting to stop Umbriel, the terrifying piece of Oblivion floating above Tamriel and turning every creature touched by its shadow into an undead thrall (viz. The Infernal City review, 16Jan10), things looked pretty hopeless. I haven't read Greg Keyes' work before, so I'm not sure if that kind of “staring into the yawning pit of despair and pondering how it's possible that your ragtag band
Jason
I read the first Elder Scrolls book, The Infernal City, and liked it, so I was excited to finish the adventure in the second book.

Incidentally, this is the first book I bought for my Kindle, and the first book I’ve read on it.

Summary
The floating city of Umbriel is advancing on the Imperial City of Tamriel. Prince Attrebus and his dark elf companion, Sul, are sent back to Tamriel by the daedric prince Malacath to fulfill Sul’s vow of vengeance against the master of Umbriel, Vuhon (Malacath being
Michael
Normally when one picks up a licensed novel, particularly of the sci fi and fantasy genres, the reader has mediocre expectations. Let's face it, we read licensed fiction not because of the high levels of authorship, but because the fictional worlds are fun.

Just as in the first one, Keyes's tale is nuanced. Though some of the subplots are less than central (the orc female's and Colin's), one can see why Keyes felt the need to include them. The former was to round out what is happening to the peop
Somewhatbent
Lord of Souls: An Elder Scrolls Novel[return]Greg Keyes[return]Del Rey (2011), Paperback, 336 pages[return][return][return]I may have approached this book differently than some reviewers; while I know of the video game universe in which this is set, I have never played it and only barely seen it. Instead of reading it as a tie-in I took the book to see how it stands on it's own two feet, as it were.[return][return]Without knowing any of the backstory I found myself rather scattered early in the ...more
Kathleen
Sep 28, 2013 Kathleen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: TES lore fans only, and only if they come armed with infinite patience
Shelves: fantasy
In my review of the first TES tie-in novel, The Infernal City, I mentioned that one of its major failings was that it was just too slim a book to focus properly on such a wide cast of characters and storylines, resulting in all of them being dull and underdeveloped. The story would have been much better served by trimming out all but a select few, and focusing in on them instead.

So, naturally, Lord of Souls does the exact opposite. It actually adds in yet more characters about halfway through, a
George Brian
absolutely loved reading this after I had read the previous one, the build up in the strengths and the weaknesses in the characters is amazing as we find out how certain characters feel towards one another and how they handle having the fate of cyrodil and as such the fate of tamriel on their shoulders. Yet another novel that I truly loved and definitely liked the ending, but I won't tell you how that went.
Wanda
A fantastic conclusion to this two part story. Keyes really hit his stride with the writing style, and I was enthralled by the numerous plots that were so skillfully intertwined at the denouement. Needless to say, I could hardly put the book down in the final 100 pages. What I was most pleased with was the development of Annaïg and Glim's relationship, how they both departed from their initial childish escapades and grew into the grim roles forced upon them.

I also appreciated Mazgar's perspecti
Whitepixels
The direct sequel to the Infernal City (no idea why was it published in two volumes... maybe to make more money from this nonsense). It is somewhat better than the first book; it has more game references, and the majesty of the Elder Scrolls world shines through in some places, but as a fantasy story it is poor.
Ian Gabriel
I personally liked this book! I thought it was a good book! I don't think there could be a sequel to it though which is a bit sad, but I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy or the Elder Scrolls game series. I enjoyed it for the most parts with very limited slow parts and very good action/fast moments.
Liz
I liked it. It was very good for a book based off of a video game and normally I really don't like books based off of games that go too far from the plot but since this was only really based in Tamriel the author could do what he wanted and no one would get mad.
Not the best book ever but still worth a read if you like TES games. The only problems I had were with the end and the random bit about the battalion of imperial soldiers. (the one with that Orc woman whose name I completely forget.) wha
Ubiquitousbastard
Okay, don't tell anyone that I gave this book four stars. A book based on a video game...a video game I don't even play (but have been subjected to watching enough that I wasn't confused by the places/terms). Yes, there's that, and then there's the kind of rushed ending, and the (view spoiler) But I liked this book.

Greg Keyes has his issues with writing, I'll admit, but I like where he comes from and his
Dave Collins
Not the story I would have wanted to take place in Tamriel, as it could have been just as good a story in an original world. Good read none the less. I enjoy the easter eggs found in these kind of books.

Hope to see more novels set in the Elder Scrolls universe.
Michael
After reading the first book, I thought for sure that it would get better and have a reasonable finish. After all if you read the back of the book, there is a magical sword involved, it should clean up nicely. Ummm, well, okay, sorta. This is a decent read, but this is not Elder Scrolls or at least not what I think a book about this great world should be about. I guess I will stick to the games and guide books.
Robert Tootill
Epic book

A great continuation of the infernal city, I loved these books and recommend them to anyone interested in adventure tales or the elder scrolls
Viktor Vik
A máme tu druhý a závěrečný díl. Připadal mi mnohem akčnější, než předchozí, hlavně větev příběhu Annaïg. Naopak ultraklaďas Attreb mi pomalu začínal lézt na nervy. Samotný závěr ani neurazí ani nenadchne, ale skončí přesně tak jak asi tušíte od začátku - žádné velké překvapení nekoná. Průměrná fantasy z nadprůměrného univerza.
Eri
Slightly better than previous book, but still missing on the description side. Eventually you might expect some kind of happy end, or simply, real ending, which give the book some cookie points as long as you're willing to deal with some harder to read/boring/confusing parts and irrelevant sidestories.
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Coalition's End (Gears of War, #4)
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • The Calling (Dragon Age, #2)
  • The Invisible Imam (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
  • Dragon Age, Volume 1
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Birthright (Diablo: The Sin War, #1)
  • Halo Wars: Genesis
  • Alan Wake
  • Dead Space
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Diablo: Demonsbane (Diablo, #0)
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • Darksiders: The Abomination Vault
Gregory Keyes is a writer of science fiction and fantasy who has written both original and media-related novels under both the names J. Gregory Keyes and "Greg Keyes".

Greg Keyes was born in to a large, diverse, storytelling family. He received degrees in anthropology from Mississippi State and the University of George before becoming a fulltime writer.
He lives in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Greg Keyes...

The Elder Scrolls (2 books)
  • The Infernal City
The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1) Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7) Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8) The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2) The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)

“Anger was beautiful, because its core was the absence of all doubt. When anger wrapped you up in yourself and you knew that you were right and righteous—that the very universe was in agreement with you—at that moment you were a god, and anyone who crossed you or disagreed with you was worse than wrong, they were heretics, apostates, twisted in the very womb.” 5 likes