Start by marking “Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven” as Want to Read:
Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

pubOne.info thank you for your continued support and wish to present you this new edition. Well, when I had been dead about thirty years I begun to get a little anxious. Mind you, had been whizzing through space all that time, like a comet. LIKE a comet! Why, Peters, I laid over the lot of them! Of course there warn't any of them going my way, as a steady thing, you know, ...more
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

Karla
Aug 04, 2011 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, humor
Second half is funnier than the first, but the whole thing is worth a read. Twain's satire of puny mortals' image of Heaven contrasted with how it really is was hilarious. Highlights were the failed attempt to use the angel wings for flying (they're more for decorative purposes), the mistaken belief that everyone's equal up there (hah, as if!), and the fact that there are billions of souls with nothing else to do so some new arrivals get a huge welcoming committee.

This was referenced in This Rep
wally
Mar 31, 2012 wally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twain
Another from Twain. This one looks to be a fanciful tale...even the title should tell the reader that. Begins:

"Well, when I had been dead about thirty years I begun to get a little anxious. Mind you, had been whizzing through space all that time, like a comet. Like a comet! Why, Peters, I laid over the lot of them! Of course there warn't any of them going my way, as a steady thing, you know, because they travel in a long circle like the loop of a lasso, whereas I was pointed as a dart for the He
Jordan
Jan 03, 2015 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always imagined Mark Twain as an eccentric older gentleman, sitting in a rocking chair in Connecticut, smoking pipes, talking about steamboats, and taking weird selfies because his autobiography is full of them.

That's all true, of course, but the WTF-truth is that he was also contemplating death, the afterlife, and how it's all bullshit. And he wrote about it occasionally for forty years. And grudgingly published this EXTRACT from it as a Christmas cozy because he was broke and needed money.
Erik Graff
Apr 16, 2012 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twain fans
Recommended to Erik by: Lajla Stousland
Shelves: literature
My grandmother introduced me to Twain. She didn't do it directly by shoving his books at me, but indirectly, simply by having them around her cottage in Michigan. What I started with weren't the common Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer things. They came, but only later, in high school. What she had on offer were his later, darker works.

It's been quite a while since I read Stormfield, but I still remember the satisfaction Twain's ridiculing of Christian notions of heaven and the afterlife gave me. I'd nev
Mick Natco
Sep 19, 2012 Mick Natco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Believe it or not this and Eve's Diary are the first Mark Twain I've read. Both brilliant.
In this book, Captain Stormfield discovers the true meaning of eternal peace.
MaryEllen Elizabeth Hart
Mark Twain's parody of Elizabeth Stuart Phelps "The Gates Ajar". Rather eclectic and imaginative. (Mark Twain enjoyed Elizabeth Stuart Phelps style and prolific list of books she authored. Elizabeth Stuart Phelps and her parents (strong outspoken Abolitionists) and ordained ministers (Andover Seminary) were equally profound in their quality and quantity of writing and publishing titles.

"The Gates Ajar" is a wonderful love story written during the Civil War in a fictional reflection of Elizabeth
Read1000books
Jul 25, 2011 Read1000books rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mark-twain
This was the last book written by Twain to be published in his lifetime. After tinkering with it off and on since the 1870's, it came out in book form in October of 1909, after having been published in two installments in Harper's Monthly magazine in 12/1907 & 1/1908. As for the story itself, Twain gets the first item of business right, namely that Heaven is a place, a destination. After that we must grade the story on it's humor and/or interesting-ness and not it's theological accuracy. It ...more
Tom Bentley
This story is more "Twain lite" than anything, though it's a delight. Written later in his life (his last published story in his lifetime), it's breezy, amusing and employs many of Twain's acute uses of vernacular, exaggeration and satire. His depiction of heaven, where the angels abandon their cumbersome wings and harps for greener pastures, is both fun and provocative, particularly in its view of the Earth being the most minor of planets, and entities like Adam and Moses being only known in He ...more
Thom Swennes
One of the little known works of the American writer Mark Twain is Extract from Captain Stormfield’s Visit to Heaven. As the title may suggest, this spoof must well have caused the writer a headache during its conception. I have to admit that I didn’t really warm to the story as a whole but could enjoy the Twain humor. Some of his lesser known works I feel are unjustly floating in purgatory but this one doesn’t arouse that feeling of injustice in me. I have read most of Mark Twain’s works and in ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
This is Mark Twain's last published book and it took him over forty years to finish it. It has also been reported that it was the only story Twain actually enjoyed writing.

Twain's description of the afterlife as seen through the eyes of a common sailor is quite original and there are many interesting aspects to Twain's at times taunting writing with clear implications to social criticism apparent.

This one is a short and light read and despite its many inconsistencies it manages to contain a fun
David Bradley
May 08, 2012 David Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stormfield's trip to Heaven remains both instructional and delightful over a hundred years after it was written. Twain's imagining of the nominally-Christian's Heaven combines the author's fascination with astronomy with his command of Christian theology. The trip there, racing a comet, illustrates Twain's grasp of the meaning of astronomical sizes, distances, and speeds. The social realities of Heaven are the natural result of Christian expectations meeting Twain's utter pragmatism head-on with ...more
Benjamin
A later work by Twain (1909), this short has some of Twain's later trademark bitterness towards conventional religious notions; in this case, I can't help but see this newcomer's description of Heaven as a counterpoint to those celebratory afterlife fantasies, such as Elizabeth Stuart Phelps's 1868 The Gates Ajar and other religious and spiritualist fantasies. (For more of this, there's always Twain's attack on Christian Science and Mary Baker Eddy, "The Secret History of Eddy-pus.")

Fine Twain,
Lianne Downey
Mar 05, 2013 Lianne Downey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-special
This is the shortened version of the story, finally published by Twain after years of tinkering, and I am rereading it for the umpteenth time. Of course, I prefer the longer version compiled from his notes by his first biographer and found in an out-of-print book called Report from Paradise, published by Harper & Brothers in 1952. Many versions are now available so grab one and read this story, short or long version!! It is my very favorite. LOVE IT!
James Lundy
Mar 29, 2008 James Lundy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who think religion needs a little fun poked at it.
Mark Twain is a hoot. He's as funny now as he was then. Have you run out of Twain to read? Well, for some reason nobody but nobody has ever heard of or read this little jem. It is sacreligious in a most ingenious way. I would imagine even in its time it didn't get protested or burned. It's funny if you're an athiest or religious.
Kimbolimbo
Interesting read. This is Mark Twain's view of Heaven. I found I laughed sometimes and at others I was kind of distracted. Not a bad read. I recommend it to everyone, you will think about it for a few days/weeks/months later. Maybe I should give it 4 stars?
Justinmmoffitt
Mark Twain Science Fiction sounds like an atmosphere that would be assigned to some blooming author. Instead, in Twain's last published novel he releases a fine piece of work. It exists, it's ironic, it's fascinating, it's Twain through-and-through.
Winston
Interesting little piece about a man who flies to heaven after his death and demands, as do many others, his harp and halo. Great commentary of the silliness of some of the afterlife imagery we are fed in Sunday School.
Sharon Zink
Oct 11, 2015 Sharon Zink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book made me think of "The Great Divorce," by C.S. Lewis. Both takes different aspects of heaven and enlarge on them, insisting that we decide for sure if we want to go to Heaven. Both books are worth reading, and both are short.
Pat
Amusing. I prefer Twain's view of heaven to that of any organized religion now extant. Twain just makes so much more sense. His heaven sounds way more kindly, more likely and way more fun.
Barbara
Apr 08, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Twain's religious satires.
Tom
Jan 02, 2013 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
A fun little story. Mark Twain gives his imagination a little run-out and effortlessly comes up with a much more reasonable and believable cosmology than most major religions have managed.
Ed
May 10, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Twain's take on our grandiose ideas of heaven.
Jim
Oct 23, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delicious satire as only Twain could write it!
Gregory Rothbard
A satirical look at heaven, who gets in and what goes on. A brief humorous sketch that is enjoyable but not one of Twain's best.
Lynn
Sep 11, 2009 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed. Not as entertaining as I had hoped.
Eric Hinkle
Feb 28, 2013 Eric Hinkle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twain's last work. A fantastic end to an even better career. It's funny, sacrilegious, satirical, and full of a weary truth.
Caleb
Jul 03, 2014 Caleb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mark-twain
Not Twain's best work. I have read about 65% of his works. I like most of what he writes. This book was not that interesting to me.
WT Sharpe
Not one of his better ones. Lots of missed opportunity for satire. Read as an audiobook.
Nile
Jun 30, 2013 Nile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He always makes a point :)
this book took a realistic approach towards expectation and logic and religion
Jukka
May 09, 2014 Jukka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ainoa oikea utopia on se, joka pitää sisällään kaikki utopiat.
  • Ascension Day Part 2 of 2
  • Huckleberry Fiend (Paul MacDonald, #2)
  • Killing the Buddha: A Heretic's Bible
  • Uncle Remus and Brer Rabbit
  • The Bruce-Partington Plans
  • 50 Shades of Gray Matter: Book 2 (The Swordsman Series)
  • The Angel Of Terror
  • Grandpa Hates the Bird: The Battle Begins
  • Ancient Mystery Cults
  • Intentions
  • Caged
  • The Faiths of the Founding Fathers
  • 2013 Almanac: Free Stuff, Scams and Savings, Diet and Health Tips, Movie Classics and More
  • The Hero
  • The Mexican Pet
  • Why Tolerate Religion?
  • Wild Apples
  • The Core Program: Fifteen Minutes a Day That Can Change Your Life
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...