Start by marking “Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven” as Want to Read:
Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  34 reviews
pubOne.info thank you for your continued support and wish to present you this new edition. Well, when I had been dead about thirty years I begun to get a little anxious. Mind you, had been whizzing through space all that time, like a comet. LIKE a comet! Why, Peters, I laid over the lot of them! Of course there warn't any of them going my way, as a steady thing, you know,...more
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
Second half is funnier than the first, but the whole thing is worth a read. Twain's satire of puny mortals' image of Heaven contrasted with how it really is was hilarious. Highlights were the failed attempt to use the angel wings for flying (they're more for decorative purposes), the mistaken belief that everyone's equal up there (hah, as if!), and the fact that there are billions of souls with nothing else to do so some new arrivals get a huge welcoming committee.

This was referenced in This Rep...more
wally
Another from Twain. This one looks to be a fanciful tale...even the title should tell the reader that. Begins:

"Well, when I had been dead about thirty years I begun to get a little anxious. Mind you, had been whizzing through space all that time, like a comet. Like a comet! Why, Peters, I laid over the lot of them! Of course there warn't any of them going my way, as a steady thing, you know, because they travel in a long circle like the loop of a lasso, whereas I was pointed as a dart for the He...more
Maria
Everything is relative, even heaven. Twain has a marvelous time letting us know that not only are we, as individuals, going to be small fry in heaven, but our whole universe is a speck on heaven's map. He points out that one cannot have happiness without sorrow (again one exists only relative to the other) and that what we have been told about heaven is not well thought out. Just look at how one would select how old one might wish to appear there. Thought provoking as usual, Twain brings up many...more
Mick Natco
Believe it or not this and Eve's Diary are the first Mark Twain I've read. Both brilliant.
In this book, Captain Stormfield discovers the true meaning of eternal peace.
Erik Graff
Apr 16, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twain fans
Recommended to Erik by: Lajla Stousland
Shelves: literature
My grandmother introduced me to Twain. She didn't do it directly by shoving his books at me, but indirectly, simply by having them around her cottage in Michigan. What I started with weren't the common Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer things. They came, but only later, in high school. What she had on offer were his later, darker works.

It's been quite a while since I read Stormfield, but I still remember the satisfaction Twain's ridiculing of Christian notions of heaven and the afterlife gave me. I'd nev...more
Read1000books
This was the last book written by Twain to be published in his lifetime. After tinkering with it off and on since the 1870's, it came out in book form in October of 1909, after having been published in two installments in Harper's Monthly magazine in 12/1907 & 1/1908. As for the story itself, Twain gets the first item of business right, namely that Heaven is a place, a destination. After that we must grade the story on it's humor and/or interesting-ness and not it's theological accuracy. It...more
Deb
Twain uses his character, Capt. Stormfield, to skewer the traditional Christian iconography around heaven. In Twain's heaven carrying a palm leaf gets tiresome, so people tend to hand theirs off to the newly arrived, singing in the heavenly chorus lasts maybe a couple of hours before it loses its charm, and other surprises await poor Stormfield.
Thom Swennes
One of the little known works of the American writer Mark Twain is Extract from Captain Stormfield’s Visit to Heaven. As the title may suggest, this spoof must well have caused the writer a headache during its conception. I have to admit that I didn’t really warm to the story as a whole but could enjoy the Twain humor. Some of his lesser known works I feel are unjustly floating in purgatory but this one doesn’t arouse that feeling of injustice in me. I have read most of Mark Twain’s works and in...more
Marts  (Thinker)
This was the last story that Twain published during his lifetime. It's quite interesting, its a bit of a satirical look at heaven in comparison to the religious view that most of us are taught.
The protagonist Captain Stormfield is really disappointed when he finally gets to heaven I guess, after all they're not just singing or playing harps all day, or flying around with their grand wings, nor just sitting around chatting with the patriachs and being all awestruck. And some of those you least ex...more
Caleb Fletcher
Not Twain's best work. I have read about 65% of his works. I like most of what he writes. This book was not that interesting to me.
Mikael Kuoppala
This is Mark Twain's last published book and it took him over forty years to finish it. It has also been reported that it was the only story Twain actually enjoyed writing.

Twain's description of the afterlife as seen through the eyes of a common sailor is quite original and there are many interesting aspects to Twain's at times taunting writing with clear implications to social criticism apparent.

This one is a short and light read and despite its many inconsistencies it manages to contain a fun...more
David Bradley
Stormfield's trip to Heaven remains both instructional and delightful over a hundred years after it was written. Twain's imagining of the nominally-Christian's Heaven combines the author's fascination with astronomy with his command of Christian theology. The trip there, racing a comet, illustrates Twain's grasp of the meaning of astronomical sizes, distances, and speeds. The social realities of Heaven are the natural result of Christian expectations meeting Twain's utter pragmatism head-on with...more
Jukka
Ainoa oikea utopia on se, joka pitää sisällään kaikki utopiat.
Benjamin
A later work by Twain (1909), this short has some of Twain's later trademark bitterness towards conventional religious notions; in this case, I can't help but see this newcomer's description of Heaven as a counterpoint to those celebratory afterlife fantasies, such as Elizabeth Stuart Phelps's 1868 The Gates Ajar and other religious and spiritualist fantasies. (For more of this, there's always Twain's attack on Christian Science and Mary Baker Eddy, "The Secret History of Eddy-pus.")

Fine Twain,...more
Lianne Downey
This is the shortened version of the story, finally published by Twain after years of tinkering, and I am rereading it for the umpteenth time. Of course, I prefer the longer version compiled from his notes by his first biographer and found in an out-of-print book called Report from Paradise, published by Harper & Brothers in 1952. Many versions are now available so grab one and read this story, short or long version!! It is my very favorite. LOVE IT!
Teresa Lafferty
This is one of the many books that got Mark Twain branded a heretic. But he was no heretic! He was right... who wants to sit around heaven all day doing nothing but flying on cherub's wings and playing harps. This again is great humor. Twain points out what our heart already knows to be true: heaven cannot be based on millenia of boredom. I love this story!
James Lundy
Mar 29, 2008 James Lundy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who think religion needs a little fun poked at it.
Mark Twain is a hoot. He's as funny now as he was then. Have you run out of Twain to read? Well, for some reason nobody but nobody has ever heard of or read this little jem. It is sacreligious in a most ingenious way. I would imagine even in its time it didn't get protested or burned. It's funny if you're an athiest or religious.
Kimbolimbo
Interesting read. This is Mark Twain's view of Heaven. I found I laughed sometimes and at others I was kind of distracted. Not a bad read. I recommend it to everyone, you will think about it for a few days/weeks/months later. Maybe I should give it 4 stars?
Winston
Interesting little piece about a man who flies to heaven after his death and demands, as do many others, his harp and halo. Great commentary of the silliness of some of the afterlife imagery we are fed in Sunday School.
Tom
A fun little story. Mark Twain gives his imagination a little run-out and effortlessly comes up with a much more reasonable and believable cosmology than most major religions have managed.
Scott Wozniak
This is classic, charming Mark Twain. The theology is squirrelly for sure, but I smiled frequently. Don't take it seriously and it's very much worth reading.
Eva
This is my favorite work of Mar Twain's. I cried page after page and it made me feel really good about my faith and my convictions.
Gregory Rothbard
A satirical look at heaven, who gets in and what goes on. A brief humorous sketch that is enjoyable but not one of Twain's best.
Eric
Twain's last work. A fantastic end to an even better career. It's funny, sacrilegious, satirical, and full of a weary truth.
Scott Holmes
A great little fantasy and an interesting take on a real life character Twain had written about many years earlier.
Nile
He always makes a point :)
this book took a realistic approach towards expectation and logic and religion
Pavel Rebrov
Greatest story ever. I've first read it when I was 10 or so and keep returning to it ever since.
Jenny
Twain has a wild imagination in this book. It sounds like even aliens go to heaven.
Lynn
Disappointed. Not as entertaining as I had hoped.
  • What the Butler Saw
  • Deathtrap
  • The Faith Healers
  • The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
  • Ann Veronica
  • 50 Shades of Gray Matter (The Swordsman, #1)
  • The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu
  • The Open Boat and Other Stories
  • Leaving Home
  • The Art Of Dramatic Writing: Its Basis in the Creative Interpretation of Human Motives
  • That's Mr. Faggot to You: Further Trials from My Queer Life
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work...more
More about Mark Twain...
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Adventures of Tom Sawyer The Prince and the Pauper A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn