Start by marking “Introducing Radical Orthodoxy” as Want to Read:
Introducing Radical Orthodoxy

Introducing Radical Orthodoxy

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Although God is making a comeback in our society, popular culture still takes its orders from the Enlightenment, a movement that denied faith a prominent role in society. Today, many are questioning this elevation of reason over faith. How should Christians respond to a secular world that continues to push faith to the margins? While there is still no consensus concerning ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Radical Orthodoxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Radical Orthodoxy

David Russell Mosley
Aug 13, 2012 David Russell Mosley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peter Stevens, Zachariah Reynolds, JJ Simpson, Colin Nicolle
This book, both because of its critiques and in spite of them, has made me very interested in the project of Radical Orthodoxy. I'm now specifically interested in how it relates to reality as I have up to now understood it, and how it relates to my own background in the Restoration Movement. I recommend this book to anyone who is no longer satisfied with the sacred-secular divide and is searching for ways to express their belief in the sacredness of all things created by God (which is to say eve ...more
Jacob Aitken
EDIT: I am now quite critical of RO. This is an older review.

RO is a group of theologians who saw the bankruptcy of modernity, and the inability of post modernity to answer the tough questions, thus positing a critique that seeks to avoid both secularism and pre-modernity. It is similar to a Parisian Augustine. RO is sensitive to post-modernity's critiques of secularism. The book offers a multi-angled critique of secularalism: epistemological, ontological, and ecclesiological.

Once Up
As I become increasingly interested in the project of RO, I have found this book to be a great explanation and complement to RONT. Smith is admittedly one of my favorite authors despite our confessional differences.

Pros for this book:
- Smith does a great job at making the RO material accessible. I think RO has yet to make it on the popular level (although, should it?) largely because the RO writings are so dense (looking at you, Milbank). Smith provides a truly great "Introduction" to the sensi
This was a fine overview, but I guess I'm just not convinced that RO is the way to go. There's a false dichotomy, it seems, between neo-Platonism and nihilism. I don't want to fully embrace either one, but RO says I have to.
I really got psyched about it when I read it, but then I came down off it a little. It's a good book, but Radical Orthodoxy likes sounding real extreme, except it isn't.
Frank Della Torre
Radical Orthodoxy is a movement that seeks to use postmodernism as a catalyst for returning to an unapologetically Christian view of reality. In short, RO proponents criticize modernity's epistemology, ontology, and metaphysic - using many of the postmodern arguments put forth by thinkers like Lyotard, Derrida, and Baudrillard - and present a specifically Christian epistemology, ontology, and metaphysic.

RO orthodoxy seeks to break ties with all things "secular," since the very idea of a "secular
Aug 16, 2007 James rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who think church is boring but also that atheists are arrogant
This is a great introduction to Radical Orthodoxy, a school of thought in desperate need of such an overview for the unfortunate reason that its principal practitioners make no sense. Seriously, Milbank is an absolute nightmare to read, but Smith clears it up somewhat. The most basic claim is a very interesting one, perhaps drawing on Prof. Adam Bronson's belief that all Derrida/Spivak/et al. really want is a philosophical grounding for moderate left pluralism. RO people agree with this criticis ...more
n typical Smith fashion, this introduction is very much a critical introduction. In the first part of the book he maps out RO, its historical approach, and its relationship to other current theological movements. In the second half he puts RO in dialogue with the Dutch Reformed movement, causing each to critique the other. The second part is by far the better, with chapters 5 (epistemology) and 6 (ontology) being the shinning pinnacle of the book. However, the shinning pinnacle is neither much b ...more
Luke Dubbelman
Complex "introduction"... but great stuff. Would love to read again.
Chris Comis
Not as good as I thought it was going to be. I generally like Smith, and appreciate all that he's done to try and wed Kuyperian Reformed theology with Radical Orthodoxy, but he just failed to deliver any significant "ah-ha" moments for me here. It seemed like he was more interested in writing a scholarly report, full of academic respect and scholarly pats on the back, rather than really challenging any of the several theological traditions he mentions with any substantive critiques.

It was alrigh
Superb overview, highly recommended.

Smith offers a critical engagement with Radical Orthodoxy, a theological movement that offers a theological position described as, "postmodern critical Augustinianism." Smith interacts with RO as an ally and brings his own reformed theological heritage into the conversation. The result is an engaging interaction between two theological schools with numerous points of parallel as well as several areas of marked distinction.
Good introduction and overview of Radical Orthodoxy. Even if you do not necessarily agree with the tenants of this movement, which I do not, it is a good primer to this increasingly popular post-secular theology.
Really helpful entree into the world of Milbank, Pickstock, and company. Added bonus: relates Radical Orthodoxy to the equally encompassing thought world of Dooyeweerd and his Dutch Reformed school.
Pretty good overview of the movement, and helpful topical bibliography for each chapter. Not intended as an RO original source. RO has really captured my imagination lately.
Good overview of this interesting theological approach. I like how Smith interacts from a Reformed perspective.
Aaron Cummings
Good food for thought.To measure this book by its title, Smith is a capable cartographer.
Majd marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Matt Sheffield
Matt Sheffield marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Chuck marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
April Langan
April Langan marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Wesley marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Harman marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Theology and Social Theory: Beyond Secular Reason
  • The Kingdom and the Glory: For a Theological Genealogy of Economy and Government
  • The Beauty of the Infinite: The Aesthetics of Christian Truth
  • Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty in Christian Discipleship
  • Is There a Meaning in This Text?
  • The Christian Tradition 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition 100-600
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • Solomon Among the Postmoderns
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
  • Natural Supernaturalism: Tradition and Revolution in Romantic Literature
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience: Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World?
  • Mere Humanity: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkien on the Human Condition
  • Theology of Hope
  • Christianity and Culture: The Idea of a Christian Society and Notes Towards the Definition of Culture
  • Paul: In Fresh Perspective
  • Knowledge and the Sacred
  • The Spirit of Early Christian Thought: Seeking the Face of God
  • The Unintended Reformation: How a Religious Revolution Secularized Society

“The state does not take a merely temporal regulatory role and leave salvation in the hands of the church; rather, the modern state seeks to replace the church by itself becoming a soteriological institution.16 It is in this sense, then, that the modern state is a parody of the church: “The body of the state is a simulacrum, a false copy, of the Body of Christ” (RONT, 182). As a result, while political rhetoric may suggest that the state is confined to a “public” sphere or that the reign of the secular is circumscribed, in fact the modern state demands complete allegiance, and the reign of the secular does not tolerate territories of resistance.17 The state is happy to absorb all kinds of private pursuits under the umbrella of civil society, but it cannot tolerate a religious community that claims to be the only authentic polis and proclaims a king who is a rival to both Caesar and Leviathan. In such a case, this community’s allegiance to its king ultimately trumps its allegiance to the state or empire, and its understanding of the nature of human persons does not fit the normative picture of liberalism. This the state cannot tolerate. It is in this sense that “every worship service is a challenge to Caesar.” 0 likes