Start by marking “Night of Wolves (The Paladins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night of Wolves (The Paladins, #1)

Night of Wolves (The Paladins #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,488 ratings  ·  70 reviews
"The humans are weak. Their skin is soft, and their minds dull from years of safety. We are the vicious. We are the destroyers. Come the full moon, when our goddess watches our victory, we will taste of their blood!"

----

Wolf-men, savage creatures given humanoid form in an ancient war, mass along the Gihon River. Led by their packleader Redclaw, they seek to cross the river
Published May 31st 2011 by Eschaton Press

Baby by J.K. AccinniEcho by J.K. AccinniArmageddon Cometh by J.K. AccinniHive by J.K. AccinniEvil Among Us by J.K. Accinni
Fantasy & SciFi to read before you die.
238th out of 317 books — 364 voters
Prince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceThe Blade Itself by Joe AbercrombieA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinKing of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceEmperor of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence
The Grimdarks
173rd out of 178 books — 539 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Duperre
Rating: 4.6 out of 5

What does friendship mean?

Is it sticking up for your cohorts in time of need? Is it putting aside differences and trying to find a common ground? Is it a solemn smile or a firm slap across the face when the other starts to stray? Is it setting aside your own fears and convictions, even though everything about you says to get away, because deep down you just trust this person, for better or worse?

These are the questions David Dalglish asks in Night of Wolves, the first book i
J.M.
I've been so busy these days it's hard to take the time to read a book, much less give a worthwhile review; even more so when others do such fine rundowns, like this one by Robert Duperre:

"Reading Night of Wolves is a fantastic experience. It’s short and to the point, filled with just about everything I love about the author’s work. It’s dark yet filled with hope, brutal yet compassionate. The words he weaves captivates, pulling us in and making us care about these people. The story is chock-ful
Paul Nelson
This is free on Amazon at the moment so no investment required to enter into the world of Dezrel and its well worth the trip. Although I would recommend the Half-orc series and Shadowdance trilogy as more significant starting points.

The wolf-men of the wedge are amassing under a new and powerful leader, Redclaw strives to unite the clans and lead them across the river into the world of men. One thing stands in their way, the small farming village of Durham but this village contains two formidabl
TalonWyrm
Any D&D player will tell you that paladins are boring. All that hoity-toity stuff about gods and doing their will is just, well, irritating. Irritating enough that many writers have taken their shots at them (Miko Miyazaki, I'm talking to you!) for laughs or for points to be made.

It's a rarity when someone actually takes a paladin and makes him human and compelling. Better still when there's two of them...polar opposites, and supposed to be at war with each other because they serve rival god
J.M. Pierce
This book could have been called The Night of Crickets and involved a swarm of pint sized bugs, but it still would have been a five star for me. The reason: the relationship between Darius and Jerico was the thing that carried the entire story. Don't get me wrong, there were some really cool wolf moments, and I liked how Redclaw was developed, but it was just inconsequential to me in comparison to the two paladins.

I've read some of David's contemporary shorts before, but this was my first in the
Daniel Beazley
This is a good little story. It runs an interesting tale about the faiths of two paladins that follow different gods. There is plenty of action as well, as creatures from the Vile Wedge attempt to cross over the river into human lands to wreak havoc.

This book lays some strong foundations for what I hope will be a great series. I really enjoyed the turmoil within as the paladins struggled between faith and a flourishing friendship that has been forbidden by their orders. Will their loyalties prev
Shane
"Night of Wolves" was really quite good, especially considering I got it for free on my kindle. Always nice when a random book gives you a pleasant surprise.
The plot is fairly straightforward, but I appreciated this--far too many fantasy books seem to think that every story has to have ten subplots and the fate of the whole world in the balance. I liked that this was just about saving one small town from invading wolves.
The two main characters, Darius and Jerico, are good, well-rounded character
Jon
A gripping, fast-paced adventure about one of my favorite fantasy elements: Paladins. I've previously read The Weight of Blood in the author's Half-Orc series, so I came into this story expecting to enjoy it. I certainly did. There's nothing overly complicated or tedious to be found. It's just a quick, fun, and sometimes graphic romp in the realm of Dezrel.

The plot occasionally felt juvenile with the sheer amount of violence over other developments, certain combat mechanics were flawed (tons of
Jerry Hanel
A well-written story with a ton of action. The blood content should make any fantasy warrior thrilled with delight, but not for the squeamish.

I really loved David's attention to the little details, and the world he has created. Very good book.
Alex Jones
So I downloaded this because Amazon were offering it for free and started reading it on my tablet during revision period because I didn't have any books with me. I ended up enjoying it a lot. It is a very 'Dungeons and Dragons' fantasy tale and the plot does nothing especially special - werewolves are attacking a colony and just a few heroes stand in their way. But the characters are fun, it is well written and a fantasy blast is just what I need. I'm definitely hoping to pick up more of Dalglis ...more
David
This was a fun quick read. I didn't know what to expect going in and was pleasantly surprised by the quality. I may have to continue on with the series.
Brian Turner
Two Paladins, one working for the god of Good, the other for the god of Evil, form a friendship and work together to rid a town of its Wolfman problem.

As with the half-orcs series by Dalglish, this is about conflicting loyalties, especially when elders from their respective temples are telling them not to befriend the other, and even telling them to kill the other.

The names of the wolfmen are a bit "my first fantasy novel" style - Redclaw, Murdertongue, Bloodbiter etc., but they make interesting
Miriam
Very interesting fantasy, I will probably read also the rest. The setting is kind of "classical/d&d" but only humans are seen in this small village on the borders to the lands from which the wolves come from.
The story is great, and the battles felt quite real. There is the right emotion and the right amount of blood.

I especially loved the two main characters. Both priest/paladins but from different gods, one is legal-evil and the other I would say is chaotic-good. Quite interesting dialogu
Jack Beaman
Having been disappointed by David Dalglish in the past, with the first of his Half Orcs Series, I was hoping that Night of Wolves might be slightly better. Unfortunately, it was not. The story was different, and had potential, but it was hampered by poor character development and some weak writing.
The thing I found worst about this book was that the point of view from which the story was told jumped around a lot, which meant that I struggled to form any kind of emotional attachment to them. The
Tarl
This book had two five star ratings on Smashwords, and was also Free. I saw that it was the beginning of a series (now up to five books I believe) and I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never been a true fan of paladins, but one of the reviewers said that Dalglish did a good job writing them. Plus, I needed a fantasy book to read, and this seemed interesting enough. I mean, it had wolf people, so that's always a bonus.

First off, the reviewer was right. Dalglish does a fantastic job writing palad
Mia Darien
This one is a little tough for me. I liked the concept. I haven't seen enough paladins in my epic fantasy reading. I liked the "competing" faiths ideas, and the beacon of faith details. The wolf-men were interesting. I would have liked more on the history of it all, about how they ended up in the Wedge and so on. I got the idea, but would have liked more. And more on the gods.

Generally speaking, I was enjoying the story pretty well. The writing is smooth and flowed well. I was into the concepts,
James Sundquist
As the book was free, and the author a best-seller in the independent category, I thought I'd give this a try. To be fair, I was fairly certain I wouldn't like it going in, but I was hoping for some surprises. It's unpretentious, generic fantasy with plenty of action and it's written well enough, so it's ok if you don't ask any questions and want a quick read, but there's much better out there (even in the same category). Just about lives up to the genre he's going for--RA Salvatore-style D& ...more
Lise
Jerico's charm lies in his red hair, according to himself. As a Paladin of Ashhur, he fights for light/life/order. As fate would have it he has actually befriended a traditional Ashhurian enemy - a Paladin of Karak. Karak stands for dark/death (non-life)/chaos. Darius thinks his charm lies in his personality. These guys are really supposed to try to kill each other. Instead they are working together for the good of the village they live in and both of them struggle with their consciences because ...more
Kyle
Night of the Wolves is the first book in “The Paladins” series, and it features two interesting characters – Jerico a Paladin for Ashhur, and Darius a Paladin for Karak. The two follow rival deities, but they put their differences aside to protect a village from invading wolf-men.

I thought this was a solid fantasy story with lots of action, an interesting look at the two paladins and their gifts of faith, and a unique perspective as the author gives voice to the wolf-men. If possible, I would gi
Nick
A great journey begins!

A great journey begins!

This novel started out amazingly well in how it introduced each character as if we were already in the middle of an epic tale and the development of each figure draws you in even more. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a story that flows easily from one tense moment to another.
Paul Dale
This was the first David Dalglish novel I have read and having seen so many of his books in the lists was curious to see if I had been missing something. I am happy to say, I have. I confess in the first few chapters I struggled a little, but as it turned out, it was more down to me than any fault in the writing, which is good. The style is clear and uncluttered and moves along at a good pace.

The story is drew me in, as did the character development. I'm not a huge fan of such detailed combat, w
Albert
Apr 19, 2015 Albert rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
Paladins are holy warriors of God (or gods, in the fantasy realm). Typically they are characterized as good and loved. Rarely (and first time in a book I’ve read) are they depicted as antagonists, largely because they are seen as representatives of a good god. But what if there are opposing gods, each with their own paladins? This story explores this scenario in background of their need to work together to face a greater outside threat. The thing I found fascinating about this story is the under ...more
William Quest
Wasn't too thrilled with this book. First off, however, I would like to say Kudos to David for a series about Paladins. Not many of books like these around. The Story was entertaining, but the characters, to me, failed to stand out and sometimes the situations failed to be believable.
Jolie
Jerico and Darius are paladins serving in a back water village near The Wedge. Not only do they serve different Gods (Jerico serves Ashhur and Darius serves Karak) but they are supposed to be enemies. But, to the surprise of both of them, they become friends.

The wolf-men who live in The Wedge long to cross the river and hunt outside The Wedge but when they do, they are hunted and killed. Redclaw, the self proclaimed Wolf King, is sick of being confined there and has come up with a plan.....unite
Sean Petrilli
Good read lots of action. The story ended well with a great setup for the next book in series, found myself really wanting to know what happens next. Can't wait to get the next one.
Alice Bridgwater
3* e 1/2

belli i personaggi.
l'interazione tra i due paladini tiene in piedi il romanzo.
non mi hanno fatto impazzire gli uomini-lupo, in particolare non condivido la scelta dell'autore di mettere dei capitoli dal loro punto di vista.
Patrick Wilkins
First Free Book I got and read, and Whoa, this was great, I have since gotten this series
Immanuel Jegan
It's.... okay. If you're new to fantasy, then this is actually a great book to begin with. There's nothing that's too outlandish in it since most people should already be familiar with concepts like magic, holy warriors and wolfmen.
The story proceeds on at a decent pace with characters that, while aren't boring, don't exactly have a tremendous force of personality behind them. Not that that's a bad thing.
The only major fault would be the book's really short length, but due to it being a free boo
Juliette
I read this because it somehow ended up on my "Shifter" shelf. It is not about Werewolves, but about a race of Wolfmen (basically wolves that walk on two legs, no shifting) and a small town and the two paladins that guide and protect it. Good enough for me not to be disappointed in the fact that it wasn't a book about werewolves. I do feel bad for the Wolfmen. All they want is some decent food, but the humans have the good land all for themselves and don't share.
Interesting enough for me to cons
Jamie DeBree
I'm not normally a big fantasy reader, but this intrigued me due to the wolf-man aspect (big wolf-character fan) and I was looking to round out my virtual shelves a bit. I'm certainly not sorry I picked this book to start with!

I bought the second book right after I finished this one. The world building is very realistic, the characters intriguing and layered in dichotomy (even on the antagonist side, which I found quite refreshing), and the overall story gripping. I'm definitely looking forward
Indie Book Club: Dark Fantasy BotM: Night of Wolves 14 23 Apr 26, 2012 12:31PM
  • The Eye of Divinity (Knights, #1)
  • The Riddler's Gift (Tales of the Lifesong, #1)
  • The Shadow at the Gate  (The Tormay Trilogy, #2)
  • The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)
  • Balance of Fate (Delver Magic, #3)
  • The Reluctant (Crayder Chronicles #1)
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • Demonsouled (Demonsouled, #1)
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • Empire (In Her Name: Redemption, #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
  • Shadow Moon (Unbidden Magic, #4)
  • Taming Fire (Dragonprince Trilogy #1)
  • Thinblade (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #1)
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Inherited Danger (The Dawning of Power, #2)
  • The Sea of Time
  • The Kinshield Saga (Kinshield Saga #1-2)

The Paladins (4 books)
  • Clash of Faiths (The Paladins, #2)
  • The Old Ways (The Paladins, #3)
  • The Broken Pieces (The Paladins, #4)
A Dance of Cloaks (Shadowdance, #1) A Dance of Blades (Shadowdance, #2) A Dance of Death (Shadowdance, #3) The Weight of Blood (The Half-Orcs, #1) The Shadows of Grace (The Half-Orcs, #4)