Start by marking “Night of Wolves (The Paladins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night of Wolves (The Paladins, #1)

Night of Wolves (The Paladins #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,915 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
"The humans are weak. Their skin is soft, and their minds dull from years of safety. We are the vicious. We are the destroyers. Come the full moon, when our goddess watches our victory, we will taste of their blood!"

----

Wolf-men, savage creatures given humanoid form in an ancient war, mass along the Gihon River. Led by their packleader Redclaw, they seek to cross the river
Published May 31st 2011 by Eschaton Press

To ask other readers questions about Night of Wolves, please sign up.

Kraig Banach I have to say the books only get better. They were so well written I even bought other series just to see some characters re intriduce

Robert Duperre
Jun 29, 2011 Robert Duperre rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.6 out of 5

What does friendship mean?

Is it sticking up for your cohorts in time of need? Is it putting aside differences and trying to find a common ground? Is it a solemn smile or a firm slap across the face when the other starts to stray? Is it setting aside your own fears and convictions, even though everything about you says to get away, because deep down you just trust this person, for better or worse?

These are the questions David Dalglish asks in Night of Wolves, the first book i
TalonWyrm
Jan 10, 2012 TalonWyrm rated it really liked it
Any D&D player will tell you that paladins are boring. All that hoity-toity stuff about gods and doing their will is just, well, irritating. Irritating enough that many writers have taken their shots at them (Miko Miyazaki, I'm talking to you!) for laughs or for points to be made.

It's a rarity when someone actually takes a paladin and makes him human and compelling. Better still when there's two of them...polar opposites, and supposed to be at war with each other because they serve rival god
Paul Nelson
Sep 02, 2012 Paul Nelson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
This is free on Amazon at the moment so no investment required to enter into the world of Dezrel and its well worth the trip. Although I would recommend the Half-orc series and Shadowdance trilogy as more significant starting points.

The wolf-men of the wedge are amassing under a new and powerful leader, Redclaw strives to unite the clans and lead them across the river into the world of men. One thing stands in their way, the small farming village of Durham but this village contains two formidabl
J.M.
May 05, 2012 J.M. rated it really liked it
I've been so busy these days it's hard to take the time to read a book, much less give a worthwhile review; even more so when others do such fine rundowns, like this one by Robert Duperre:

"Reading Night of Wolves is a fantastic experience. It’s short and to the point, filled with just about everything I love about the author’s work. It’s dark yet filled with hope, brutal yet compassionate. The words he weaves captivates, pulling us in and making us care about these people. The story is chock-ful
Ryan Mueller
Jul 16, 2016 Ryan Mueller rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a solid read, which is what I've come to expect from Dalglish. I've never been blown away by anything of his I've read, but I've always enjoyed the stories. I see a lot of potential for the series to improve as it goes on. This book (at 218 pages) felt like just a small taste of what's to come.

Rating: 7/10
☆Joycedale☆
Feb 04, 2017 ☆Joycedale☆ rated it really liked it
Shelves: random-pick
My library is doing "Blind Date with a Book". Basically they wrap a book in red or pink paper with a heart tag with the genre on it. On the back of the tag is the numbers so they can check it out and then you unwrap it when you get home. There's a form inside to fill out after reading, then after Valentine's Day there will be a drawing for a prize from all the completed forms. I'm telling you this because not only do I love this idea but that's how I got this book. It was labeled SciFi or else I ...more
Jason
Nov 17, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
4 Stars

Night of the Wolves is a fun, safe, and standard form of the fantasy genre. I became a fan of David Dalglish by reading and then loving his Shadowdance series. I decided to go back to some of his early works and start with this one. I have to confess that I have always act loved the Paladin as a hero. Back in my youth I had my D&D modules and I always found myself drawn to the spiritual, gifted, and often bad ass warrior of God.

This book gives us not one but two Paladins, one of the
J.M. Pierce
Sep 01, 2012 J.M. Pierce rated it it was amazing
This book could have been called The Night of Crickets and involved a swarm of pint sized bugs, but it still would have been a five star for me. The reason: the relationship between Darius and Jerico was the thing that carried the entire story. Don't get me wrong, there were some really cool wolf moments, and I liked how Redclaw was developed, but it was just inconsequential to me in comparison to the two paladins.

I've read some of David's contemporary shorts before, but this was my first in the
Daniel Beazley
Apr 19, 2013 Daniel Beazley rated it really liked it
This is a good little story. It runs an interesting tale about the faiths of two paladins that follow different gods. There is plenty of action as well, as creatures from the Vile Wedge attempt to cross over the river into human lands to wreak havoc.

This book lays some strong foundations for what I hope will be a great series. I really enjoyed the turmoil within as the paladins struggled between faith and a flourishing friendship that has been forbidden by their orders. Will their loyalties prev
Jerry Hanel
Sep 13, 2011 Jerry Hanel rated it it was amazing
A well-written story with a ton of action. The blood content should make any fantasy warrior thrilled with delight, but not for the squeamish.

I really loved David's attention to the little details, and the world he has created. Very good book.
David
Sep 08, 2012 David rated it liked it
This was a fun quick read. I didn't know what to expect going in and was pleasantly surprised by the quality. I may have to continue on with the series.
Tomas K.
Jan 26, 2017 Tomas K. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I had this done in single evening...
Probably around 4,5*, leaning towards 5 this time

Two paladins, each of different and competing faith, happen to be at the bad time in bad place, for their superiors and each other - or good time and place, for the helpless villagers.
While the villagers are glad for any help against the waves of werevolves, leaders of their respective churches would rather have on kill the other even if it meant the village's death. Political hypocrisy at its finest.
Tarl
Jun 10, 2013 Tarl rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book had two five star ratings on Smashwords, and was also Free. I saw that it was the beginning of a series (now up to five books I believe) and I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never been a true fan of paladins, but one of the reviewers said that Dalglish did a good job writing them. Plus, I needed a fantasy book to read, and this seemed interesting enough. I mean, it had wolf people, so that's always a bonus.

First off, the reviewer was right. Dalglish does a fantastic job writing palad
Mia Darien
Apr 24, 2012 Mia Darien rated it liked it
This one is a little tough for me. I liked the concept. I haven't seen enough paladins in my epic fantasy reading. I liked the "competing" faiths ideas, and the beacon of faith details. The wolf-men were interesting. I would have liked more on the history of it all, about how they ended up in the Wedge and so on. I got the idea, but would have liked more. And more on the gods.

Generally speaking, I was enjoying the story pretty well. The writing is smooth and flowed well. I was into the concepts,
Lise
May 02, 2013 Lise rated it really liked it
Jerico's charm lies in his red hair, according to himself. As a Paladin of Ashhur, he fights for light/life/order. As fate would have it he has actually befriended a traditional Ashhurian enemy - a Paladin of Karak. Karak stands for dark/death (non-life)/chaos. Darius thinks his charm lies in his personality. These guys are really supposed to try to kill each other. Instead they are working together for the good of the village they live in and both of them struggle with their consciences because ...more
James Sundquist
Jan 29, 2013 James Sundquist rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks
As the book was free, and the author a best-seller in the independent category, I thought I'd give this a try. To be fair, I was fairly certain I wouldn't like it going in, but I was hoping for some surprises. It's unpretentious, generic fantasy with plenty of action and it's written well enough, so it's ok if you don't ask any questions and want a quick read, but there's much better out there (even in the same category). Just about lives up to the genre he's going for--RA Salvatore-style D& ...more
Jon
May 05, 2015 Jon rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
A gripping, fast-paced adventure about one of my favorite fantasy elements: Paladins. I've previously read The Weight of Blood in the author's Half-Orc series, so I came into this story expecting to enjoy it. I certainly did. There's nothing overly complicated or tedious to be found. It's just a quick, fun, and sometimes graphic romp in the realm of Dezrel.

The plot occasionally felt juvenile with the sheer amount of violence over other developments, certain combat mechanics were flawed (tons of
Shane
Nov 09, 2014 Shane rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"Night of Wolves" was really quite good, especially considering I got it for free on my kindle. Always nice when a random book gives you a pleasant surprise.
The plot is fairly straightforward, but I appreciated this--far too many fantasy books seem to think that every story has to have ten subplots and the fate of the whole world in the balance. I liked that this was just about saving one small town from invading wolves.
The two main characters, Darius and Jerico, are good, well-rounded character
Jack Beaman
Jul 22, 2014 Jack Beaman rated it did not like it
Having been disappointed by David Dalglish in the past, with the first of his Half Orcs Series, I was hoping that Night of Wolves might be slightly better. Unfortunately, it was not. The story was different, and had potential, but it was hampered by poor character development and some weak writing.
The thing I found worst about this book was that the point of view from which the story was told jumped around a lot, which meant that I struggled to form any kind of emotional attachment to them. The
Kyle
Feb 07, 2013 Kyle rated it liked it
Night of the Wolves is the first book in “The Paladins” series, and it features two interesting characters – Jerico a Paladin for Ashhur, and Darius a Paladin for Karak. The two follow rival deities, but they put their differences aside to protect a village from invading wolf-men.

I thought this was a solid fantasy story with lots of action, an interesting look at the two paladins and their gifts of faith, and a unique perspective as the author gives voice to the wolf-men. If possible, I would gi
Paul Dale
Apr 08, 2012 Paul Dale rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was the first David Dalglish novel I have read and having seen so many of his books in the lists was curious to see if I had been missing something. I am happy to say, I have. I confess in the first few chapters I struggled a little, but as it turned out, it was more down to me than any fault in the writing, which is good. The style is clear and uncluttered and moves along at a good pace.

The story is drew me in, as did the character development. I'm not a huge fan of such detailed combat, w
Albert
Oct 29, 2014 Albert rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Paladins are holy warriors of God (or gods, in the fantasy realm). Typically they are characterized as good and loved. Rarely (and first time in a book I’ve read) are they depicted as antagonists, largely because they are seen as representatives of a good god. But what if there are opposing gods, each with their own paladins? This story explores this scenario in background of their need to work together to face a greater outside threat. The thing I found fascinating about this story is the under ...more
Jolie
Nov 15, 2012 Jolie rated it really liked it
Jerico and Darius are paladins serving in a back water village near The Wedge. Not only do they serve different Gods (Jerico serves Ashhur and Darius serves Karak) but they are supposed to be enemies. But, to the surprise of both of them, they become friends.

The wolf-men who live in The Wedge long to cross the river and hunt outside The Wedge but when they do, they are hunted and killed. Redclaw, the self proclaimed Wolf King, is sick of being confined there and has come up with a plan.....unite
Alex Jones
May 20, 2014 Alex Jones rated it really liked it
So I downloaded this because Amazon were offering it for free and started reading it on my tablet during revision period because I didn't have any books with me. I ended up enjoying it a lot. It is a very 'Dungeons and Dragons' fantasy tale and the plot does nothing especially special - werewolves are attacking a colony and just a few heroes stand in their way. But the characters are fun, it is well written and a fantasy blast is just what I need. I'm definitely hoping to pick up more of Dalglis ...more
Brian Turner
Jul 29, 2015 Brian Turner rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Two Paladins, one working for the god of Good, the other for the god of Evil, form a friendship and work together to rid a town of its Wolfman problem.

As with the half-orcs series by Dalglish, this is about conflicting loyalties, especially when elders from their respective temples are telling them not to befriend the other, and even telling them to kill the other.

The names of the wolfmen are a bit "my first fantasy novel" style - Redclaw, Murdertongue, Bloodbiter etc., but they make interesting
Michael Cummings
Sep 26, 2015 Michael Cummings rated it really liked it
I must admit, an unexpectedly good time if brief. Old school fantasy (I really mean no offense by this, but it had an 80's fantasy vibe, only complete if there was a heavy metal thrash soundtrack in the background), but at the same time somewhat refreshing. It didn't linger or try to be more than it was - a story about two opposing paladins for opposing religions fighting an army of wolf men. Of course it wouldn't be book one in a series if that was all there was to it, but it didn't overstep to ...more
Jamie DeBree
Nov 26, 2011 Jamie DeBree rated it it was amazing
I'm not normally a big fantasy reader, but this intrigued me due to the wolf-man aspect (big wolf-character fan) and I was looking to round out my virtual shelves a bit. I'm certainly not sorry I picked this book to start with!

I bought the second book right after I finished this one. The world building is very realistic, the characters intriguing and layered in dichotomy (even on the antagonist side, which I found quite refreshing), and the overall story gripping. I'm definitely looking forward
Immanuel Jegan
Nov 27, 2013 Immanuel Jegan rated it liked it
It's.... okay. If you're new to fantasy, then this is actually a great book to begin with. There's nothing that's too outlandish in it since most people should already be familiar with concepts like magic, holy warriors and wolfmen.
The story proceeds on at a decent pace with characters that, while aren't boring, don't exactly have a tremendous force of personality behind them. Not that that's a bad thing.
The only major fault would be the book's really short length, but due to it being a free boo
Robert
May 08, 2012 Robert rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Others who like Dalglish.
This one turned out to be a good beginning to the series. The ending was a little weak but I do plan to read the rest of the series. The Paladins are what interest me and I want to know what happens to them as the story progresses. (view spoiler)If you've read other Dalglish books and like them I think you will like thi ...more
mirba
Jun 10, 2014 mirba rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Very interesting fantasy, I will probably read also the rest. The setting is kind of "classical/d&d" but only humans are seen in this small village on the borders to the lands from which the wolves come from.
The story is great, and the battles felt quite real. There is the right emotion and the right amount of blood.

I especially loved the two main characters. Both priest/paladins but from different gods, one is legal-evil and the other I would say is chaotic-good. Quite interesting dialogu
Indie Book Club: Dark Fantasy BotM: Night of Wolves 14 23 Apr 26, 2012 12:31PM
  • The Eye of Divinity (Knights, #1)
  • The Riddler's Gift (Tales of the Lifesong, #1)
  • Demonsouled (Demonsouled, #1)
  • The Hawk and His Boy (The Tormay Trilogy, #1)
  • Leviathan (Lost Civilization, #2)
  • Sole Sacrifice (The Kinshield Saga, #0.5)
  • Lightbringer (Celestial Affairs, #1)
  • The Wand-Maker's Debate
  • I Am Wolf (The Children of Nox, #1)
  • Rojuun (Willden #1)
  • The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)
  • High Moor
  • Sovereign Stone  (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #2)
  • In the Dark
  • The Sticks
  • Half Blood (Helheim Wolf Pack Tale #1)
  • Into The Woods
  • The Circle of Sorcerers (Mages of Bloodmyr, #1)

The Paladins (4 books)
  • Clash of Faiths (The Paladins, #2)
  • The Old Ways (The Paladins, #3)
  • The Broken Pieces (The Paladins, #4)