Start by marking “A Man Without a Country” as Want to Read:
A Man Without a Country

A Man Without a Country

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  26,646 ratings  ·  1,625 reviews
A Man Without a Country is Kurt Vonnegut’s hilariously funny and razor-sharp look at life ("If I die--God forbid--I would like to go to heaven to ask somebody in charge up there, ‘Hey, what was the good news and what was the bad news?"), art ("To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."), politics ("I asked former Yankees p ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Seven Stories Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Man Without a Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man Without a Country

Ratscats
On April 11, 2007 ,at around 6am, I awoke to NPR news announcing that Kurt Vonnegut had passed away.
Normally I would just go back to sleep, but I popped out of bed and went to my computer to confirm that it was really true (because you know how NPR gives false information all the time and shit).
Then my next thought was to go to Half Priced books and buy every Kurt Vonnegut book there.
So I set my alarm for 9am so I could make sure I was there when they opened the doors because I didn't want to h
Madeleine
And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say "Kurt is up in heaven now." That's my favorite joke.

In a country that gets its feathers ruffled beyond all rational allowance should one commit the hell-worthy trespass of bidding someone else of unknown spiritual beliefs an all-encompassing, meant-to-convey-well-wishings-without-presumption "Happy holidays" and thus betray one's role as a covert hippie cog in the heathen machine that's making a religious majority feel increasingly insecu
seak
I think it's a rule that you have to quote Vonnegut if you review his work. I've been bad about it in the past, but this book is essentially just a quotable book. What better time to start. :)

Some of my favorite quotes from A Man Without a Country:

"Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college."

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don'
FeReSHte
من کورت ونه گات را دوست دارم
و با این حال با عرض شرمندگی هنووووز "سلاخ خانه ی شماره پنج" ش رو نخوندم

این اثر، داستان نیست. گونه ای از بازگویی خاطرات نویسنده س به سبک غیرمعمول خاص خودش ولی بیشتر از خاطرات، طرزفکر ونه گات رو راجع به خیلی چیزها عیان می کنه. ونه گات مثل یه بابابزرگ پیر طناز دوست داشتنی تا دلتون بخواد به جون جرج بوش غر میزنه و به عنوان کهنه سربازی در جنگ جهانی دوم، سیاست های جنگ طلبانه و سلطه گرانه و دروغگوی امریکا رو زیر سوال می بره
( کتاب سال 2005 منتشر شد که همزمان با بحبوحه ی حمله
Samadrita
People may find fault with Vonnegut for his know-it-all, been-there-done-that tone in this memoir. People may not even find anything new or insightful in here since every person well-versed with current affairs and the nitty-gritties of international politics has at least a second-hand knowledge of America's present day troubles. But what people are certainly bound to appreciate is Vonnegut's mordant wit and his fine sense of humour.
Jason Koivu
As seems to happen often, I became a fan of Vonnegut during college. It's been a few years since then and so to finally hear him writing in his own voice about his own thoughts, as opposed to getting to know him through the eyes of his fictional characters, was very cool. The sarcasm, the dry wit, that cynical-yet-hopeful view of the world...ah yes, if Mark Twain had a 20th Century doppelganger, it was Vonnegut.
Christine
Jan 13, 2009 Christine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peeps who read in the bathroom, plus everyone else.
Recommended to Christine by: Nathan
Shelves: non-fiction
The last book written by Vonnegut (I believe) and composed of short essays about various things (politics, life, human nature, death) this was a quick, delightful and sometimes depressing read. But then isn't everything Vonnegut writes some strange mix of delightful and depressing? It seems that as he has aged, Vonnegut has become less optimistic about the human species. I can't really blame him. Yet, even as he lambastes Bush, bombs, war, pollution, and the generally inconsiderate among us, he ...more
MJ Nicholls
Something of a misnomer, this title: “A Memoir of Life in George W. Bush’s America.” Hmm. No. In fact, Kurt’s final book is another collage of pieces taken from public speeches, and various articles commissioned for the publication In These Times. Michael Silverblatt described this book as a “response to a plea”—that plea coming from the editors of Seven Stories Press, who tickled Vonnegut into writing little chunks again. Any fresh writing from an eighty-three-year-old man is hard to come by, a ...more
Milo
Kurt Vonnegut is a national treasure. Period. It was my intention to expand upon my opinion of Kurt Vonnegut in this review but the above statement alone seems sufficient. I love Kurt Vonnegut. Fuck Fox News. I hate Fox News because they hated Kurt Vonnegut. What did he do wrong? He spoke the truth. He spoke without flourish or innuendo, straightforwardly, about things that are taboo. Fox would rather lie to you and discredit an honest man after his death than risk you going out and reading his ...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Another good reads reviewer said that Kurt Vonnegut's death was such a great loss because "nobody thinks the way he did." So true, and such an understatement. There's just no other mind that works anything like his. Of course, every mind is unique, but most of us are depressingly ordinary, myself included. Sigh...

This book is an odd compilation of the meandering thoughts, observations and reminiscences of Vonnegut at the age of 82. There are some 2 star WTF moments where you have to make allowan
Niloofar Haidari
خب اولين كاره ونه گات بود براي من . قلمشو خيلي خيلي دوست داشتم . آدم وقتي نوشته هاشو ميخونه ميخاد بپره بغل اين پيرمرد ماچش كنه .
اين كتاب در واقع يه جور وصيت نامه بود . داستان نبود . در مورد خود ونه گات و زندگيش بود . قسمت قسمت بود و دقيقا هر قسمتش مثل يه وبلاگ شخصي ميموند . وبلاگي كه توش از خودت حرف بزني و در عين حال به مصائب دنيا و سياست بپردازي . و در عين حال قلمت رو براي خواننده به نمايش بگذاري .
ازش خوشم اومد . هرچند اعتراف ميكنم بعضي جاها ديگه در باب بشردوستي و حفاظت از كره ي زمين زياد حرف
لیلی
میدونید چیه؟ الان اولین سوالی که میخوام تو این ریویو بپرسم اینه که اون کسی که اینو به من دادی!آیا هدف خاصی داشتید از دادنش؟ یعنی میخوام بگم چی باعث شد"اینو"بدین؟ چون چندوقت پیش، از یه نفر دیگه که یه کتاب داده بود بهم که جدی جدی جدی دوسش داشتم و احساس میکردم از اون نوع کتاباییه که واقعا خیلی "لیلی"ن، پرسیدم که چرا دادتش به من که بخونم؟ و پاسخ ناامید کننده بود واقعا:خب چون بحثش شد یه بار، و یادم میاد که انگار گفتی دوس داری بخونیش. و من حتا هنوز یادم نمیاد چنین حرفی زده باشم!
حالا میخوام بگم که آیا
Julia
Dec 20, 2008 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kurt Vonnegut fans
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the most human of Vonnegut's works--written when he was 82, shortly before he died. It's a thin volume that can be read in one sitting--and it gives new insight into this humanist writer who loved his country and the world so much that he spent most of his life FURIOUS at how stupid people could be. Each short essay begins with a quotation from Vonnegut, and the plot diagrams in chap. 3 on "creative writing" are hilarious. But this thin volume is full of anger as well as humor--Vonnegut' ...more
Andrea
Mar 24, 2009 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: murph, dave, hilary, alex... everyone!
It took me a LONG time to be ready to read this book after my favorite author died. It would be the last Vonnegut to read, how could I say goodbye?! But finally, as my little children slept peacefully last week, I took it up. I was not disappointed--not that I expected to be--and I command you all to read it too! Now!

I am in love with Kurt Vonnegut, and I will always regret that I never got to tell him that, may he rest in peace. And may the streets of heaven be lined in unfiltered Pall Malls.
Kristen
Dec 18, 2011 Kristen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristen by: The 18 point font and my desire to finish this fucking book challenge
Shelves: vonnegut
"Shrapnel was invented by an Englishman of the same name. Don't you wish you could have something named after you?"
Ahmadreza
بعد از سلاخ خانه شماره 5 دومین کاریه که از این بشر می خونم و باید بگم واقعا خوندنِ اثارش یه لذت خاصی داره
Ahmad Sharabiani
A man without a country, Kurt Vonnegut (1927 - )
عنوان: مرد بی وطن؛ اثر: کورت ونه گات؛ مترجمها: پریسا سلیمان زاده اردبیلی؛ زیبا گنجی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، مروارید، 1386، در 138 ص، مصور، جدول، واژه نامه، شابک: 9789648838527؛ موضوع: سرگذشتنامه نویسندگان آمریکایی قرن 21، ایالات متحده، سیاست و حکومت از 1993 تا 2001 م

عنوان: مردی بدون وطن؛ اثر: کرت ونه گات؛ مترجم: علی اصغر بهرامی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نشر چشمه، 1390، در 128 ص، مصور، نمونه، شابک: 9789643624255؛ موضوع: سرگذشتنامه نویسندگان آمریکایی قرن 21،
Tyler Gregson
Mar 06, 2008 Tyler Gregson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Read this. Everyone. Simple ruminations on complex times from one of the most amazingly talented writers of all time. It is scary how similar he thinks, to how I think about so many of the things going on around us today.

Read it!
Arezu
محشر بود! از معدود کتاب های طنزی که بلند بلند می خندیدم و عمیقا فکر می کردم.
Mel

The cover quotes the Los Angeles Times as saying, “[This] may be as close as
Vonnegut comes to a memoir.” But it’s not really a memoir. Sure, it reflects upon the
past, nationally more than personally. And that’s what drives the linked essays; they’re
not personal. That’s what makes them personal.

Vonnegut shares with the reader his disillusionment: “Many years ago I was so innocent
I still considered it possible that we could become the humane and reasonable America
so many members of my generation u
Mohsen Rajabi
یعنی واقعا وقتی با یک کتاب واقعا خوب، (آنقدر خوب که اگر داستان بود می گفتم شاهکار) روبه رو می شویم، اینقدر خوشحال می شویم از زنده بودنمان که حد ندارد... هر چه قدر هم نویسنده ای مانند وُنه گوت غر بزند که انسانیت چه چیز گندی است.

برای ونه گوت، یکی از مهم ترین چیزهایی که باعث شده امیدش را به بشریت از دست ندهد، گفته های مسیح بر بالای کوه، و کتابخانه ها است. آن خطابه بسیار زیباست، اما ونه گوت باید بداند دلایل دیگری هم برای امید به بشریت هست: یکی از آنها، وجود نویسندگانی مانند خود اوست.
Allison
This is my favorite book of his. I love his take on everything. In the end, when he talks about his daughter. Her ability to quickly identify what she likes and dislikes. How she could rollerskate through the Louvre and point to each paintng, "yes, no, yes, no, yes, yes, yes no." It made me realize how carefully he understood women, it's the reason I loved his female characters. Even Virginia Wildhack!
Amir Mojiry
از ونه گوت قبل از این «گالاپاگوس» را خوانده بودم.
Galápagos
ویژگی ونه گوت لحن طنز درد مندانه و در عین حال آرام و بی خیالانه ی اوست. به قول خود او در بخش اول همین کتاب مرد بی وطن:
«هر موضوعی موجب خنده می شود و به گمانم قربانیان آشوویتس هم باعث نوعی خنده ی بیمار گونه می شوند.»
این کتاب، مجموعه ای از مقاله های طنز ونه گوت است که در روزنامه ی این دیز تایمز به چاپ می رسیده. هر بخش با یک نقل قول روی یک تابلو آغاز می شود. نقل قول ها یا از شخصیت خیالی بوکونون است یا از خود ونه گوت. بعضی هایش به مقاله ها ربط
Meliana
Aug 04, 2008 Meliana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meliana by: sheny
reading this book is like sitting with an old friend on a couch on one lazy afternoon. you and your friend were into a pleasant and intimate talk. it just felt so good! you talked a lot; from nowhere to somewhere, from someone to no one. that's it!

then you parted. you kept that feeling of a very good chat with an old friend of you till days afterwards.

two weeks later.. after days of workload and rythm of life, you start to tell yourself:
hey, i had a nice chat with my old friend couple of weeks
Sanja
Sve što je napisao 2005. za Buša i Irak važi i sada, samo sa nešto drugačijim imenima.
Ponešto o pacifizmu i ludistima.
Daje grafičke prikaze storytelling-a kod Šekspira, Kafke i Pepeljuge.
Kratko, jasno i urnebesno. Nešto najbliže memoarima a što ja mogu da svarim.
Preporuka!
description
Amir
کتاب مجموعه مقالههای ونهگات پا به سن گذاشته است در سالهای حمله به عراق و جنبشهای ضدجنگ. ونهگات با اینکه دیگه چندان به طنز اعتقاد نداره، اما همچنان سعی میکنه با قلم نیش و نوشدارش برای مخاطب هموطنش از بیوطنی بگه. از آمریکای «بوش، دیک، و کالین» که حسابی کلافهش کرده

دو سه تا یادداشت زندگینامهای ابتدای کتاب ارزش خوندن دارن
Sergio
Some of the ideas of Kurt dont jive with me and others resonate very deeply. It is this mixture that I find coupled with the ease in which I find reading his work that draws me in every time. I burned through this book in a single evening, but I am sure I will be thinking about it for months to come.
Masumeh

کتاب را خیلی وقت پیش خوانده ام اما تا مدتها مزه اش زیر زبانم بود.
اصلن به نظرم آدم هایی که به جنگ می روند جور دیگری می شوند. جنگ با تمام شدت و ویرانگری اش عمقی به نگاه برخی از آدم ها می دهد که یک نتیجه اش می تواند بشود کتابی به همین خوبی.
Stephanie
what a smart man. I liked this book very much, wish he was still around to write more.
Maryam Ghanbari
نقد اجتماعي بخواني، بخندي! مي شود اين كتاب! :)
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. page numbering request 11 28 Jun 06, 2014 05:47PM
  • Conversations with Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Most Beautiful Woman in Town & Other Stories
  • Running Wild
  • The Discomfort Zone: A Personal History
  • The Clothes Have No Emperor: A Chronicle of the American '80s
  • The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales from a Strange Time (The Gonzo Papers, #1)
  • Nova Express (The Nova Trilogy #3)
  • The Ghost Writer
  • I Am Alive and You Are Dead: A Journey into the Mind of Philip K. Dick
Kurt Vonnegut, Junior was an American novelist, satirist, and most recently, graphic artist. He was recognized as New York State Author for 2001-2003.

He was born in Indianapolis, later the setting for many of his novels. He attended Cornell University from 1941 to 1943, where he wrote a column for the student newspaper, the Cornell Daily Sun. Vonnegut trained as a chemist and worked as a journali
More about Kurt Vonnegut...
Slaughterhouse-Five Cat's Cradle Breakfast of Champions The Sirens of Titan Mother Night

“And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.”
3503 likes
“Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.” 2780 likes