Start by marking “Happiness Economics” as Want to Read:
Happiness Economics

Happiness Economics

Shortlisted for the Stephen Leacock Medal for Humour

Will Thorne is a stalled poet, married to Judy, a wildly successful celebrity economist. Pressured by a starving fellow poet, Will establishes The Poets' Preservation Society, a genteel organization to help poets in need. But when Will meets his muse, the enigmatic and athletic Lily White, he becomes inspired not only to
Published August 3rd 2011 by Brindle and Glass Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Happiness Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happiness Economics

Diane
Sep 05, 2012 Diane rated it it was ok
This is a tale about artistic inspiration as well as the dichotomy of the arts and economics but the biggest obstacle with this book is that the main characters are all quite unlikable. The wife Judy is an over-achieving judgmental harridan. The completely incompatible husband Will is the exact opposite -- an under-achieving whinging wimp. The kids are slightly more sympathetic. Zoe, the nasty twelve year-old daughter, is under enormous pressure from her mother and her peers. Alex, the ten ...more
Corinne Wasilewski
Sep 26, 2014 Corinne Wasilewski rated it really liked it
A tongue in cheek look at poets, poetry, muses and the meaning of life. I loved the humour -- so many great lines that really made me laugh. This one for example: "Writing is the new reading!" and, of course, Will's jingle line - Softer, stronger...because it's three ply. I also appreciated the comparison between poetry and parkour. All in all, a really good book.
Lana.
Aug 07, 2015 Lana. rated it liked it
While Paul was reading poetry, I was reading this: A story about a poet going through a mid-life crisis. It seemed rather bleak at first (sad marriage, parenthood, aging). But then, the whole thing became unexpectedly funny: middle-aged men acting like teenagers, teenagers creatively working through their problems, parkour!

People behaving badly generally leave a bad taste in my mouth, but the surprisingly sweet and then hilariously absurd turns mid-way, made it overall enjoyable.
Sue Sharp
Dec 29, 2014 Sue Sharp rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! Loved the main characters - the stay at home dad struggling to write poetry; his wife who is a high profile economist and breadwinner; their two kids with issues they eventually find ways of dealing with... I also loved that this novel is set in Toronto and so I recognized and can visualize the setting. Such an interesting intersection of the two worlds of poetry and economics!
Suzanne
Jun 19, 2011 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, canadian
Entertaining story of a struggling poet's journey to find his muse, and poetry itself's muse, too. Characters were well-realized and interesting, although I wish my two favourite characters, Will's children Alex and Zoe, had played bigger roles as both were really great. The story's trajectory was somewhat predictable in parts with very few surprises thrown in, which made for a bit of a less engaging read at times.
Gillian Deacon
Feb 03, 2013 Gillian Deacon rated it it was amazing

Such a fun read, full of well-drawn characters. I loved that the author was able to poke fun at all her characters, especially the poets, and yet still make readers empathetic to their struggles. Happiness Economics will make you want to crack open some more poetry!
Lindsey Pollard
Apr 23, 2012 Lindsey Pollard rated it liked it
This was a quick and easy read. The characters weren't very believable and the story was a stretch, but it moved at a quick pace and had a few clever moments. Good enough!
Luise
poet married to economist - clash in philosophies of life, raising teenagers, poetry as life's work, value of art vs. monetary success, intelligent comedy
The 49th Shelf
Aug 25, 2011 The 49th Shelf marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Kj Pender
Kj Pender rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2013
Caley Baker
Caley Baker rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Judy Mayhew
Aug 21, 2012 Judy Mayhew rated it really liked it
A fun read that made me laugh out loud. Loved that it was set in Toronto, as I used to live there.
Sridhar
Sridhar rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2014
Emily Shorthouse
Emily Shorthouse rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Ruth Linka
Ruth Linka rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2011
Kayla Riske
Kayla Riske rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Denise
Sep 06, 2013 Denise rated it liked it
An interesting but drawn out story of what constitutes happiness in different people.
Melanie Godecki
Melanie Godecki rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2014
Amberrider
Amberrider rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Joanne Ferren
Joanne Ferren rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Lexi Haskell
Lexi Haskell rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Cate
Cate rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Sarah Raymond
Sarah Raymond rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2013