Start by marking “The Twisted Ones” as Want to Read:
The Twisted Ones

The Twisted Ones

3.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Why did they kill?

These were nice kids, model kids. They didn’t wear leather jackets and roam the streets in “wolf packs”; they didn’t steal and mug for dope. For kids, they were well mannered and quiet. They were attractive and nicely dressed. You’d have welcomed them as next-door neighbors.

Yet ..

one raped

one murdered

one killed by fire

What got into them? What dark thought
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1959 by Fawcett Gold Medal

To ask other readers questions about The Twisted Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twisted Ones

Steven
Sep 21, 2015 Steven rated it it was ok
This one is primarily character studies. I was getting a bit impatient in the first third. Excellent, smart writing but it was all character introduction. The middle third got interesting as the tension built around the three disturbed kids - the twisted ones of the title. One is an OCD klepto, one is a stutterer, and one is a fire-bug who wets his pants. Get the picture? The tension is ramped up and you know all three of them are going to blow. And they do. Murderers all by the end of the book. ...more
Phil
Jul 06, 2014 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're not a reader of pulp fiction, I think it's very easy to have a pre-formulated idea of what you're going to get between the covers. Even as someone who has read his share of paperback originals, I still pick a new title up half-expecting it to be the usual hard boiled swagger.

I guess that's how the genre came to be -- it was good at giving the audience exactly what it wanted. And, sure, sometimes as a reader all you want is shabby-suited stubble-chins giving wrongdoers bellyfuls of hot
L
Apr 23, 2014 L rated it liked it
A sort of "how we drive kids to do bad things" book, with "we" being parents, for the most part. For the boys with "bad mothers," you could see it coming, as it followed the accepted storyline. The outcome of the story of other boy, with the "bad father," didn't ring true. It was sad.
Shalonda
Twisted is right

I wasn't too thrilled about this book. I mean it was weird. It took till the end of the book to get interesting.
Jerrilc
Jan 04, 2014 Jerrilc rated it really liked it
I don't write reviews much and I will keep this short.

The Twisted Ones is a vintage writing, written in the 1950's, I believe. It includes several short stories that are very haunting and a bit suspensfull.

If your tired of the same kind of book over and over, I suggest you take a break and check out the details of The Twisted Ones for yourself.
KB
Oct 19, 2012 KB rated it liked it
Quick, chilling little read exploring the motives of the crimes of three young kids. Enjoyed the setup; the chapters were divided into three, individual narratives that eventually tied together at the end. Strong commentary on how adults, from parents to those in media to psychologists to teachers, are blind, deaf, but far from mute when it comes to the development and motivations of the younger generations.
Pat Nestor
This was... a little strange. Seemed to be a novel looking at insight of three killers whom all came from good familes and a study of why they commited their crimes. I mean, it was that... kind of... but over all this was just a weird book. Not bad... just weird. Got it from Pixel of Ink as a free Kindle book. Worth it for a quick and slightly mindless read on a rainy afternoon.
Shannon Clark
Nov 25, 2012 Shannon Clark rated it it was ok
Strange. Weird. Twisted. This describes these 3 boys, their stories, and the book overall. It was a quick read, and I did want to find out what was going to happen (even though there was enough foreshadowing so that I already knew). If I had to describe the mood of the book I would definitely say-DEPRESSING. All in all, it was an ok read.
Jeffrey Cavanaugh
Dec 20, 2012 Jeffrey Cavanaugh rated it liked it
'50s & '60s Pulp is an acquired taste that combines sultry tales of "true crime" with old-timey social norms that are hilarious to say the least. Imagine old health class film reels combined with mass murder, and you get the idea of what these books are like.
Gail
Sep 08, 2013 Gail rated it liked it
An old-school read on the complexity of adolescence and its dark side. What struck me about this story is how culture may have changed over the last 50+ years, but families and their dysfunction have not.
Cindy Winder delong
May 23, 2012 Cindy Winder delong rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, nook
This story was so sad. The parents pushed those children so hard to be what they wanted. I thought the 8 year old boy was so lovable; I wished that I could rescue him.
Newbee (JoAnn) Brown
May 31, 2012 Newbee (JoAnn) Brown rated it really liked it
This is tale of how adults can cufuse childern with their own actions and not realise it. Very well written and I enjoyed reading... A different kinda book!
Victor Whitman
Dec 22, 2013 Victor Whitman rated it liked it
Not great, but it does explore the dark sides of life in America, and she is a good writer.

Christian
Aug 22, 2012 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Clever novel telling the parallel stories of three troubled young men who inch closer and closer to violence as the story progresses.
Ketta
Jul 01, 2012 Ketta rated it liked it
Have the say this book was twisted! All three murderers in this book were 18yrs and younger. It was a good read.
Your Need To Read
Jul 04, 2012 Your Need To Read rated it really liked it
Shelves: lindsey
Brian Gore
Jun 10, 2012 Brian Gore rated it liked it
So much promise, and so much potential left on the table.
Murphy
Jun 13, 2012 Murphy added it
Very different. The language is strange.
Therese
May 21, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
$0.0
michele Pickett
michele Pickett rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Mklinzmanhotmail.com
Mklinzmanhotmail.com rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Laura Gaddy
Laura Gaddy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Lindsay Whitmore-Bixby
Lindsay Whitmore-Bixby rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Ztyu
Ztyu marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
  • Killing Down the Roman Line
  • The Other Daughter
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • The Last Election
  • Every Precious Thing (Logan Harper, #2)
  • Death by China: Confronting the Dragon - A Global Call to Action
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook 25 Brownie & Bar Recipes [Kindle Edition]
  • The Abduction of Mary Rose
  • Large Target (Josephine Fuller, #2)
  • Blood Mountain
  • The Ghosts of Havana
  • Rabbit in the Road
  • The Psych Ward Killer (James Wilks Thrillers)
  • Past Imperfect
  • Gnosis
  • Final Passage
  • Raphaela's Gift
  • El Viaje del Pequeño Ratoncito: Una Pequeña Historia (Spanish Edition)
Marijane Meaker (born May 27, 1927) is an American novelist and short story writer in several genres using different pen names. From 1952 to 1969 she wrote twenty mystery and crime novels as Vin Packer, including Spring Fire which is credited with launching the genre of lesbian pulp fiction (although few of Packer's books address homosexuality or feature gay characters). Using her own observations ...more
More about Vin Packer...