Start by marking “The Dog Who Had Kittens” as Want to Read:
The Dog Who Had Kittens

The Dog Who Had Kittens

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Baxter the Basset Hound comes to the aid of some kittens when their mother disappears one afternoon.
Published July 1st 1992 by Holiday House (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Had Kittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Who Had Kittens

Dani Stephens
The Dog Who Had Kittens was one of my favorite books growing up and after reading it again, I have to say it's kinda weird. I never really thought about it in the way of reproduction as a child but now that I know more than I did, I think the title could probably be changed to be a little more fitting. The dog did not really have the kittens in the book, he just ended up taking care of and protecting them. It's a very sweet story and I love the idea of the dogs and cats actually talking to each ...more
This sweet story is about a basset hound who discovers the joys of parenthood when the family cat has kittens. He snuggles with them. He let's them use his body as a playground. But eventually the kittens must go off to new homes.
Baxter, the hound, is much more emotionally connected to the kittens than the mother. In fact, Eloise, the mother “only came around to feed and wash her babies.” His connection to the kittens is clearly shown when he can no longer eat or sleep without the kittens.
Wonderful story of a family's basset hound, who takes on the responsibilities and joys of parenthood when the lackadaisical family cat has kittens. This book has won several state awards for children's books and is on K-grade 1 reading lists around the nation. Due to the storyline, it has been a big hit with foster families. It is also written by my mother, who is an excellent writer. :)
Karley Neal
Sep 08, 2015 Karley Neal added it
Shelves: edrd-314
I really liked this book because it somewhat teaches kids that even though we are all different we all fit together in some way.
Sweet story about a bassett hound who helps his family's cat care for her new kittens.
Amanda Connelly
Good book on diversity. Ageless book.
He loves this book.
The Dog Who Had Kittens by Polly Robertus is a charming little book for children about a dog, Baxter, who lived with a cat named Eloise that had kittens. The dog felt ignored at first but when everyone was gone, sneaked in to see the kittens and liked them! They got along great. I loved that the dog became “the kittens’ playground.” It has a happy ending but I do not want to give it away. It is a fun, quick read and the illustrations are cute as well. I think any child with pets would enjoy this ...more
This book includes both a silly yet comical story plot. This book would be great for early elementary students because it would keep their attention with the great illustrations and funny concept. With this book you could ask the students a lot of questions to promote thinking out loud such as: why does the title seem weird, why does the dog take care of the kittens, why does the kittens disappear, and so on. Overall, I enjoyed this book and look forward to using it in my classroom.
Oct 17, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
This is a sweet tale about a basset hound who took care of a group of seven kittens; paying more attention than even the mother cat. When the kittens were old enough to be separated from their mother they were given away. And when Baxter discovered this, he was sad, moping around the house, pining for his kittens.
This book really hit the spot with me because I too have a dog that absolutely adores cats and they love him right back. Polly M. Robertus has written a great story and the illustrations by Janet Stevens are superb! A must read for all those little animal lovers out there!
So cute! The art work is sure to give you a case of the warm-and-fuzzies, and the story is just adorable. As the owner of a cat-loving dog, it struck home, and I fondly remember my own mutts taking care of kittens and letting them curl up and crawl into his curly fur.
Jun 27, 2008 Chrissy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bassett Hound Lovers
I loved everything about this book! Admittedly I do have an added interest being the owner of a Bassett Hound. The story is great and the illustrations are lovely!
Alycia Boyce
A cute book about a dog who gets put out of the house because the house cat has kittens. He eventually learns to love the kittens and is sad when they are gone.
Meg McGregor
One of the most charming books about the importance of friendship and being needed. Baxter - if you are not busy I could use some help watching my littles.
While the preschool crowd listened attentively and enjoyed the pictures, the story line is really better conveyed at the early elementary level.
Nikol Gordon
As a pet owner of a dog and three cats, I thought this book was totally cute!! I read if for a small reading group. Fun!!
I love this book! The illustrations are wonderful and the story is wonderful. This is a great book for dog and cat lovers.
This is a cute book about a dog and some kittens.This is a longer picture book I think it is for ages 5 and up.
I love having the addition of kittens to the family from the dogs point of view.
Aug 17, 2011 Shere' added it
Library processing read. I really dug the illustrations in this book.
wonderfully illustrated story about a basset hound that fosters some kittens,
Who is this fabulous author?!?! A favorite book in our land :)
Ruth Ellen
it is a cute book. It made me tear up at the end.
I enjoyed reading this one with my kids.
Gotta love it!