North: The Amazing Story of Arctic Migration

North: The Amazing Story of Arctic Migration

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A passionate nature lover and a renowned artist trace the awe-inspiring spring migration of millions of creatures to the Arctic--the greatest journey on Earth.

At the top of our world is a huge wild place called the Arctic.

In the winter, it is a cold and barren land, where few animals can survive. But when spring comes, it brings with it animals from every corner of the ear...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2011)

Winter's Bone by Daniel WoodrellThe Winter Child by Terri WindlingTruly, Madly, Deeply by Faraaz KaziPrickle Moon by Juliet MarillierCold Quiet Country by Clayton  Lindemuth
Winter Reads 2012/13
17th out of 75 books — 4 voters
Over and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerThe Mitten by Jan BrettLost and Found by Oliver JeffersWaiting for Winter by Sebastian MeschenmoserThe Mitten by Jim Aylesworth
Picture Books About Snow Animals
62nd out of 100 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate
"I always think of animal migrations as heading south," my daughter wondered as we read this beautiful book together by the fire this weekend. And that, I think, is part of what makes NORTH: THE AMAZING STORY OF ARCTIC MIGRATION such a special book - all these animals, from the soaring snow geese to the regal caribou to the pointy-tusked, alien-looking narwhals, heading north, to a part of the world we so often think of as inhospitable. But in the summer sun, the Arctic is full of life and light...more
Tasha
This poetic look at the amazing Arctic starts with the deep winter and the few animals who survive there year round. Then spring comes to the Arctic and the sun comes back along with some warmth. Plants start to appear from under the snow. Soon more animals will arrive. The first to head out on their journey are the gray whales, that swim from Mexico to the Arctic Circle. Birds head north too in flocks. Herds of pregnant caribou journey north, followed closely by the gray wolves looking for weak...more
Kim
Grades 2-5

Spare, almost poetic, language combines with beautiful illustrations to create a book that will be a pleasure to read aloud and to pore over individually. Opening with a scene of a lone polar bear and arctic fox, Dowson explains that there are very few animals that can survive year-round in the Arctic, but as the seasons change and the weather slowly warms, animals from all over the globe start making their way north. Illustrator Benson's muted watercolors complement Dowson's text nice...more
Angie
When you think of migration you think of birds flying south for the winter. I never really thought about the northern migrations for the summer months until I read this book. This is a beautifully illustrated sparse look at migration to and from the Arctic. It starts with those animals like polar bears who spend all year long in the Arctic. They travel over the frozen tundra during the winter months. But once spring begins and plants start to break through the ice they are joined by more and mor...more
Jean Haberman
A gorgeous book to teach about migration and the wildlife and geography of the Arctic. The title is right...this is an amazing story!
Heidi
The illustrations of this book are my favorite part. Very pretty with lots to look at. Information that I did not know before and liked learning. But the text sometimes didn't work for me. And while it was nice that the book was not overwhelming with information, I came away from the book feeling like I got barely a glimpse. That we started out with journeys of some animals but didn't continue. I felt unsatisfied, but I suppose that is to get my curiosity up and have me researching more about th...more
This beautifully illustrated nonfiction text clearly describes the many animals that live and migrate to the Arctic circle. Some of the animals are familiar to us -- polar bears and whales -- but many are animals that we don't think of as migrating to the top of the world. Fish migrate from streams, birds fly thousands of miles, a walruses swim up the Pacific coast.

This book is perfect for students in grades 2 - 4 learning about animal adaptations and migrations. Though the book is quite thick...more
Jenny
My children and I loved this peek into the unique habitat in the arctic and particularly reading about the numerous animals that migrate there. We especially loved reading about the whales, but the caribou were quite interesting. Beautiful illustrations. Short enough to read in one sitting. I will look for other titles by this author.
Debra
One of the best literary non-fiction books I have read in awhile. The beginning really pulls the reader in, and then the story of the arctic migration unfolds slowly, with each page adding a new animal to the great journey. A wonderful combination of story and facts. The author's love of nature comes through. The story is amazing and beautiful!
Alexander Jones
Read for Beehive Award nominations.
Leigh
Whatever.
Written as poetry, it describes the journey to the Artic North many animals
make for breeding and food. I think modern kids are visual and they expect
photographs, not paintings. I think this book appeals to adults who like
lyrical non-fiction but I'm not sure if kids are going to be interested in it.
John Moore
North: The Amazing Story of Arctic Migration, Nick
Dowson
Grade Level: 2-5
Topic: Migration
Description: This poetically written and beautifully illustrated book gives students a unique look at the challenges animals who migrate in the arctic go through on their journey. Filled with great facts throughout.
Angie
Wow. Ever so pretty. Will be a great addition to the school collection and discussions of arctic animals, conservation, and migration.

Feel like that is not enough to describe this one but hey. It's in the South and it's hot. Just know you can look at this one and cool off a bit as you learn. ;]
Tisha
What a beautiful story about the life cycle of the frozen north! The illustrations and simple story paint a wonderful picture of the animals that live in and come to the Arctic, and of the inhospitable nature of that part of the earth. This would be a great family read-aloud.
Amy Carr
A beautifully illustrated picture book introduction to the amazing migration of so many different types of animals to the Arctic. I loved the text, loved the illustrations, and found the subject matter truly engaging and intriguing!
Sandy Brehl
This is what a non-fiction PB should be- lyrical informative text paired perfectly with appealing and compelling illustrations that expand and clarify understanding of complex subjects.
This book makes the Arctic feel like home.
Zara Younus
Grade 4. Migration of animals for survival.

This book contains a variety of animals and poetically express the migration of the animals in the Arctic. Students can match the animal to the migration process.
Ruth
I am simply impressed with both the text and the art work in this book. The text is poetic and the illustrations cinematic. The combination weaves a factual tale that instructs as well as entertains.
Janice
Thought it was going to be more information, but it does relate the information in a nice picture book format. Good way to introduce elementary age kids to this information.
Alice
This story is very interesting a very simple elementary non fiction about the Arctic. The illustrations are stunning. They are beautiful and detailed.
Leila T.
I mean, this is a bit wordy and cerebral for 3-year-olds, but the illustrations are gorgeous, and the information is fascinating. Stuff I didn't know.
Andrés
The only reason for not giving North a 5* is the odd appearance of penguins? in one of the Arctic illustrations.
It's a great book for children and parents.
Cindy
This book is beautiful. I had no idea so many animals migrated to the Arctic for the spring. This is a must have for all libraries and classrooms.
Aubrey
Was I the only person who saw penguins on page 42 and thought the title of the book should be "South"? This book is equivalent to BBC's Planet Earth.
kelly
So glad I got this for school!
Teri
Really well-done non fiction! Beautiful illustrations and nice overview of so many animals that migrate to the arctic.
Rachel
Stunning, the text and illustrations match perfectly and it is poetic and informative at the same time.
Elizabeth
Beautiful colors, language, and illustrations describe the migratory instinct.
OUTSTANDING.
Hapzydeco
This account of arctic migration presents the reader with an outsize sense of wonder.
Britt, Book Habitue
Text is interesting, maybe not amazing.
But the illustrations are awesome!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Feed Families
  • Dolphin Baby!
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • Words Set Me Free: The Story of Young Frederick Douglass
  • Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud
  • Annie and Helen
  • Alex the Parrot: No Ordinary Bird: A True Story
  • Thunder Birds: Nature's Flying Predators
  • Celebritrees: Historic and Famous Trees of the World
  • No Monkeys, No Chocolate
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • If You Lived Here: Houses of the World
Nick Dowson is the author of TRACKS OF A PANDA and TIGRESS. A teacher and naturalist, he lives in Suffolk, England.
More about Nick Dowson...
Tracks of a Panda Tigress