Start by marking “By Word of Mouth: Poems from the Spanish, 1916-1959” as Want to Read:
By Word of Mouth: Poems from the Spanish, 1916-1959

By Word of Mouth: Poems from the Spanish, 1916-1959

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  2 reviews
William Carlos Williams (1883–1963) produced a startling number of translations of both Spanish and Latin American poetry starting during WWI and continuing through the late fifties. Williams grew up in a Spanish-speaking home and sometimes described himself as half-Spanish. His mother was Puerto Rican and his father spoke Spanish fluently. “Spanish is not, in the sense to ...more
Published October 5th 2011 by New Directions

To ask other readers questions about By Word of Mouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Word of Mouth

Nancy
I'm grateful for this carefully edited and annotated collection of poems. Even the end notes were worth reading. (I read this book over a period of two years. heavens. I thought it would help me with my Spanish, but in the end, it was more interesting as a portrait of Williams, and his poetic translation decisions.)
Susan Gardner
Discover a less-known side of the poet William Carlos Williams. Dual language, evocative translations that faithfully present WCW's wonderful modernist poetry. (I write in Spanish as well as English) Accompanied by an excellent essay by Julio Marzán and a very informative introduction from Jonathan Cohen. I'm sure to turn to this definitve work again and again in coming years.
Mark
Mark added it
Apr 05, 2015
Connie
Connie added it
Sep 24, 2014
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Sara
Sara added it
Jun 25, 2013
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
Chad Post
Chad Post marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
Ellen Lerner
Ellen Lerner marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2012
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2011
h
h marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2011
Bear Like Me Gay Dating 101: Finding Men, Sex and Love in A Complicated World Bear Like Me: A Novel The Red and the Real: An Essay on Color Ontology Color Ontology and Color Science (Life and Mind: Philosophical Issues in Biology and Psychology)