Start by marking “Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone” as Want to Read:
Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone

Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  2,738 ratings  ·  87 reviews
There is an epidemic of insecurity in society today. Many people suffer from an unhealthy need for affirmation. They are not capable of feeling good about themselves. For some the quest for approval becomes an actual addiction, as they seek self-worth from the outside world because they can't find it within themselves. Joyce Meyer understands the need for seeking approval ...more
Published April 5th 2005 by FaithWords (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Approval Addiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Approval Addiction

Crystal Robinson
What brought me to this book...was the fact that I could absolutely NOT find the book I had bought about assertiveness. I looked high and low for months. Could not remember where I put it! So after months and months of looking for this "Your Perfect Right" book that I had purchased...I finally decided to break down and go look for another one. That is when I came across Joyce Meyer's book. The title drew me in because I was a huge approval addict. When I first bought this book...I had no idea wh ...more
I would have only given this book 4 stars, but I didn't want the author to get mad at me. I'm kidding, of course. I need to keep this book nearby just to remind me every so often that there are so many different values and interests that people have, and there's no way to please everybody. There are a lot of talented people doing their thing, yet their thing may not be something that interests me in the least. The same is true for what I can do.
The more I read, the more I know that God definitely gave me this book for a reason. I am so grateful. It's kind of like tough love to hear everything she has to say, but I know I need to hear it and that I will benefit from it greatly. Everything she says is backed up by scripture, which is so important because it confirms that God does not want me to live for the approval of others but for his approval alone.
Josh Mccoy
After stumbling upon this book at B&N I decided to give it a try. I am an approval addict and have been for as long as I can remember. This book used principals from the Bible to show how God is more than enough to meet all our needs! God himself has given us his approval through the security and love we have from Jesus. Joyce expounds on different biblical passages and gives her own wisdom from breaking the "approval addiction" herself.

The book is very raw, giving many details about how her
Confession, I am an approval addict! This book was amazing in showing me just how addicted to pleasing others I truly was. Joyce shows you how to over come this addition. I would have never looked at seeking others approval as an addiction until I saw the title of this book.Overcoming my need to please will be something I will need to work on for a while. It was nice to have some one point out how to over come this addiction.
Very good book. Joyce is straightforward and direct. In this book she is encouraging us to overcome an addiction to people pleasing., not that there is anything wrong with pleasing others, but it can become a habit that controls our lives and we need to put pleasing God first. She explores the causes and outcomes of this addiction. The main cause is insecurity and low self-esteem.The answer? Knowing who you are in Christ!We are accepted and loved by God through faith in Jesus and that is really ...more
This is a book that I read just after going thru a severe trama. It helped me to sort of make sense of how I feeling because this was very normal. The topics are diverse and as far as trama goes remember this -- this "whatever" has happened to you but don't let it control you any longer.

This book is good for the "right after phase" of abuse of course being safe in the meantime.
The author outlines biblical principles to be utilized in overcoming rejection and disapproval from others. God approves of us and we are to "shake off" any words or actions from others that reflect rejection or disapproval. Gives concrete steps to take to heal yourself from needing or wanting approval from others.
Rae Vernon
Don't let the star rating I gave this book fool you. It is a good book. Half of what is written in it, I have heard in one of her sermons though. It is definitely a good read for those of us that put too much weight on what others think. It is a reminder that our standing with God is much more important.
This book changed me for the better. I learned to say no and not feel guilty of doing so, I also learned to accept critics and not get defensive, and lastly I learned that not everyone is going to agree with me or like me but that's something they have to take up with God.
This is probably my favorite book by Joyce Meyers. It's about putting God's approval above people, but of course, not in a rude way, ignoring people's feelings, but in a loving way. Help you not let people's opinions get in the way of the journey God put you on.

I did not realize how we are seeking for someone's approval. Joyce Meyers lays out it for real! I am a writer, always seeking for feedback, and if you think about it...I am seeking other people's approval!
Obviously, a self help book. Something I wish I had read earlier in my life. Very simply lays out the problem, with examples from her own life and others. She then encourages the reader to make the change. Every step is backed by Scripture, with the text written out and in easy to understand language (no KJV).

Mrs. Meyer also delves into the root cause of this addiction, which is the cause of many addictions in life. It isn't an easy fix to change the behavior without addressing the cause. If the
Sarah Lowe
It's about pleasing God not people.
Pau Hernández
No sé ni por dónde empezar... ¡Magnífico! La verdad es que no sé si es porque el tema me toca mucho a mí, pero hay que aceptarlo... Joyce Meyer es una mujer admirable, un gran ejemplo de superación y de entrega total a Dios. De verdad no encuentro las palabras para describir todo lo que pienso de este libro, pero haré mi mejor esfuerzo. Como ya he dicho en repetidas ocasiones, no me gustan estos libros de vida espiritual y pasos y demás, pero este libro tiene una narrativa muy fluida y en varias ...more
Jun 13, 2011 May added it
I got this book because I thought the title sounded interesting. I had no idea about the background of the author.

Overall, the message presented and the thoughtfulness of the framework presented by Meyer is helpful for those that have not considered how approval addiction has impacted their life, family, personal and professional relationships. She provides specific examples on what approval addiction is, the need to control associated it with it and where it is derived from. Her examples of ho
Jan 10, 2010 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who struggle with seeking approval from others
Recommended to John by: found it at the library
If you constantly find yourself doing things to please other people, even doing things that you do not want to do, it is possible that you could have approval addiction.

Joyce Meyer is a religious preacher on television. If you want to free yourself from the self-imposed prison chains of constantly trying and failing to please the world, she will help guide you there. Be fore-warned, she guides you straight on a track to GOD.

God, in her, and this reader's view, IS the KEY to overcoming ANY addict
BONDing over BOOKS
Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone by Joyce Meyer. Are you a people pleaser? Do you measure your self-worth by how many people approve of you or your behavior? Do you feel that you need to get the approval of others to feel good? If you answered yes, or even maybe to any of these scenarios then reading Approval Addiction may be a book you consider reading.

However, we should be careful not to live our lives through the lens other people's "expertise" on how to "cure" us o
Rebecca Lewitt
This was okay--not quite as life altering for me as the other books she's written that I've read (Anxious for Nothing and Battlefield of the Mind), but still interesting, helpful, scripture-filled and practical. I think it might really be perfect for people with various kinds of abuse in their past (verbal included, manipulations also, etc.); for me it helped me really look at what I would call the "pleasing man instead of God" mentality, which is what I was hoping for when I picked it up. But m ...more
Another life changer for me, from Joyce Meyer! I think many people suffer from approval addiction, and many times, it goes back to your childhood. Just do yourself a favor, and read this book.
I think this book was well formed. Highly applicable to Christian people but not irrelevant to other people. Overall the theme is to get approval in the right ways from the right sources.
Sara Kemp
Mrs Meyer made it plain as day, what an extreme Approval Addict I am! I did not realize how many different areas of my life I was and still am, addicted to approval. This book brings light to those areas and helps me identify them and squash them before they become in-extiguishable. Great read! Everyone should pick up this one!
Mia Williams
This was a Christmas gift a few years back &God knows that I needed this book! I allowed it to minister to my soul&it helped to transform my way of thinking concerning the subject matter.
Martina Khairy
I am glad i read this book .. my life has changed :)
Paul Heather
Good solid teaching, tells it like it is with great empathy
Debra Wagenecht
Joyce has some pithy statements that really stay with you!
Susan Story
Great book promoting growth!
Maria Marchan
Very good. This book helped me to recognize that I need do not need everybody's approval, but God's. Thank you.
Jessica Ashe
This was one of the most amazing books I have ever read! Joyce Meyer is a true inspiration & through this book, which applies to not only approval addicts, but to everyone, she speaks in terms that everyone can understand. I pray that everyone reads this book & feels the same way that I do about it and that it inspires you to have a better relationship with Christ & others. I can't wait to read this book again b/c I don't want to miss one single point. BEST BOOK EVER!!
Christian Mom Reads: June's Group Read 1 5 Jun 04, 2015 09:50AM
  • The Everyday Life Bible: The Power of God's Word for Everyday Living
  • Reposition Yourself: Living Life Without Limits
  • Love Your Life: Living Happy, Healthy, and Whole
  • Become a Better You: 7 Keys to Improving Your Life Every Day
  • Unmerited Favor: Depending on Jesus for every success in your life
  • Breaking Intimidation: Say "No" Without Feeling Guilty.  Be Secure Without the Approval of Man
  • Come Thirsty: No Heart Too Dry for His Touch
  • Are We Living in the End Times?
  • Fasting: Opening the Door to a Deeper, More Intimate, More Powerful Relationship With God
  • Be Angry But Don't Blow It: Maintaining Your Passion Without Losing Your Cool
  • Believing God
  • Stormie: A Story of Forgiveness and Healing
Joyce Meyer is a professing Christian. She has written books and released thousands of audio teachings as well as a complete video library. Joyce's Enjoying Everyday Life radio and television programs are broadcasted around the world. Joyce and her husband, Dave, are the parents of four grown children and make their home in St. Louis, Missouri. ...more
More about Joyce Meyer...

“Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.” 37 likes
“I was afraid to let other make any decisions, because I had no confidence they would be concerned for me.” 19 likes